Let's talk about our camera experience on custom ROMs

1. mr.ignor
    Gingerbread Dec 3, 2016

2. otto2
    Lollipop Dec 3, 2016

otto2 , Dec 3, 2016 :
    Oneplus started with CM, yes, but after CM made their very own decision with indian market they had to start by scratch with their own Oxygen. And Cyanogen INC (NOT MOD) was PAID for developing the OS.
    Most of the Oxygen developers are paid, too. Especially the ones, who re developing the IP . Feel free to code a camera ,which is faster, better , than the Stock one. But why should they help YOU? Yes, they re making money with their phones? Don t like it? Buy another one, but , wait, all brands want to make money... ooops.... You feel screwed? Make your own startup, give all your code and IP free and we will see, how long you will survive on the market. And what will happen, if some hardware manufacturers will find out, that you re sharing their code, or parts of it,without licence?

3. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Dec 3, 2016

Dunnow , Dec 3, 2016 :
    No, cyanogen inc was not PAID for anything in the OPO. Don't lie.

I hope they are.

Is there ANY others that are working FOR OnePlus and NOT being paid?

No can't do. Because there's no code to be merged into. The only thing that I could code, is a camera app that relies upon what image the OS provides me. Which is the problem at hand, don't you think?

They are not helping ME. They are helping themselves, if anything. It wasn't me who promised to be transparent and community driven. Was I?

No, those were OnePlus words. Added to the "no breaking warranty if you change rom" and to those others about "we want to help the community to grow with our devices" right?

I just want they to keep their word. Which is a BIG part of why I got any OP phone, and just like me, probably, up to 90% of their clients.

As the people who purchased the OPO and put this company on the map were and still are, basically, custom rom users.

Did other brands promise ANYTHING to their customers? I'm c00l with other brands, PRECISELY because they give me what they are selling me. And not smoke and empty promises.

I don't need to make anything. There's TONS of companies that give EVERYTHING and they are surviving just fine.
    What has anything to do with it?

What code? code from qualcomm that is already in code aurora?
    Fingerprint drivers provided by google in default AOSP?

There's no more "hardware manufacturers" bullshit they can pull off. The one they could've was the fingerprint sensor drivers being from a third party. The rest of the OS is not affected by those.

All camera related bullshit could've been solved by releasing drivers as blobs (which is what they are discussing, and that is assuming the drivers for that sensors are not available already to the public, which I would bet it's the most provable outcome) but they are not willing to share optimizations on the FRAMEWORK level to make the camera be faster. Because "our OS is closed source and we don't want any other company to get the same sensor as we have and apply the same optimizations so they can compare to us".

SO community driven. It amazes me.

Have you seen ANY word about anything related to the camera being private of a third company?

Nope. You are going on and on about stuff that is 100% unrelated to the issue at hand.

tedulus, sashachoo and Swatpt like this.
  4. tfae
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 3, 2016

tfae , Dec 3, 2016 :
    Release them. Having more options is never a bad thing.

Ashtr1x likes this.
  5. Rienkk
    Cupcake Dec 3, 2016

Rienkk , Dec 3, 2016 :
    Friend,

At my home, we understand there are many choises when it comes to deciding to if the camera blobs should be released.
    As a young person, I am by no means perfect, and it is faith from company's like Oneplus that allows me to continue to improve and make a better decision when it comes to camera blobs.

All joking aside,

I would love it if you guys would decide to release the blops. I myself Will directly switch to CM 14.1 when it is releases for the 3t, however the bad camera quility makes that switch a litle salty. I am not site hoe much slower the camera will be but Quality > speed and maybe that could be improved in the future aswell. But First things First and releasing thenbolbs would be a good First step.

Bever Settle

*insert fancy singature here*

Me
    Not the co-founder of OnePlus

6. Marco Snippe
    Honeycomb Dec 3, 2016

Marco Snippe , Dec 3, 2016 :
    And this one applies to the I am never satisfied experience. Everybody may and can give their opinion but this BS to talk in your words should be forbidden you talk like you own Oneplus. To get you out of your dream it's not. Name one brand where at least they give you a chance to get stock quality. Oh and one last thing they do this for us it's not like they have to.

7. G_Marabou57_qsMp
    Froyo Dec 3, 2016

G_Marabou57_qsMp , Dec 3, 2016 :
    i prefer running original oxygen os. for os stability camera and dash charge. continue your great job!

8. Dunnow

Dunnow , Dec 3, 2016 :
    Google, Motorola, BQ, ZTE, Blackberry, Wileyfox, almost every unknown chinese brand out there too.

They DO have to. They PROMISED as PART OF THE COMPANY that the community WOULD GET SUPPORT from OnePlus.

Seems to me you can't read, I'd swear I've said that before. But I'll repeat it again. If they want to go full closed, so be it. But they should also announce it clearly. Stop lying to people about openness. And publically apologise for breaking their word.

Id they are not doing that, I'm still gonna hold them to their words. At the end of the day, OnePlus got where it is THANKS, and ONLY THANKS the fact that they were basically running and allowing to run custom roms.

Don't forget the difference between "doing this for us" or doing it to keep their word. If they did not promise community support, openness and provided CyanogenOS with the first phone, this company would've gotten nowhere.

We put them in the map, it's their turn to keep what was promised to begin with.

I got tired enough waiting for almost a year for OnePlus Two sources to hit. And they are legally obligated to share what they shared on the OP2 due to unix licensing.

Seems to me that you ALL need a page of Elon's Musk live lessons

20:20

tedulus and Swatpt like this.
  9. Manas Eapen
    Jelly Bean Dec 3, 2016

10. celsoazevedo
    Eclair Dec 3, 2016

celsoazevedo , Dec 3, 2016 :
    Between a slow (but usable) camera that works and a fast camera with bad quality that fails to work under certain conditions, I choose the first option.

Also, I think that OP should keep stuff like this in mind when developing a new product, at least if they want to keep some of the more advanced users as customers. Having to wait months for something to work or pushing devs to their limits is not good.

Believe it or not, you can make money and be more open and trustworthy at the same time... I doubt that Oneplus would be what it is now if they did what other brands do. Part of the Oneplus user base buys their products for a reason. If we wanted to have a closed phone with a shitty and not up to date OS, we would buy something else.

In this case there is no need to open source anything. They have a solution that works for both sides and that's all every sane person asked for.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016

tedulus likes this.
  11. Marco Snippe
    Honeycomb Dec 3, 2016

Seems to me you really could use a life and i think Elon Musk for sure would agree with me.

otto2 likes this.
  12. Ahmad Wael
    Cupcake Dec 3, 2016

13. jcsp101
    Cupcake Dec 3, 2016

jcsp101 , Dec 3, 2016 :
    Yes, definitely worth the trade-off, please release the camera blobs!

14. Deactivated User
    Dec 3, 2016

15. Dunnow

Dunnow , Dec 3, 2016 :
    well considering that Elon developed code not so long ago, and seeing how his companies went from nothing to amazing, seems to me that he would agree with me that OnePlus is doing something wrong.

But that's just points of view.

Interesting tho how every fanboy ends up with the "get a life" when cornered. So sad.

tedulus and Swatpt like this.
  16. G_Frank_Hammen_IFmJ
    Cupcake Dec 3, 2016

G_Frank_Hammen_IFmJ , Dec 3, 2016 :
    Please release the BLOBS, developer can always choose to use them or not... Better quality photo's with slower UX is still better then low quality photo's IMHO....

17. Marco Snippe
    Honeycomb Dec 3, 2016

Please fanboy so lame and this has nothing to with cornerd.
    first of all i have a wife and three kids a house and a job that is what i call life .Second if oneplus is such a big issue i would buy a other brand. Third i just do not get what you wanna prove and what it would change. Fourth what is the point if everything gets closed source what is your or our benefit.

I think you are just a frustrated person that like i said before is never going to be happy no matter what they bring.
    Please do not tell me you still have your Oneplus because i would not.
    But enough with the bitchfighting haha i am happy if oneplus releases the camera blobs in what form i do not care.
    How good or bad it will be well see it only adds something so again i do not get the point you wanna make in this thread.

mido25 and otto2 like this.
  18. Swatpt
    Honeycomb Dec 3, 2016

Swatpt , Dec 3, 2016 :
    Seems that you're taking this too personal, and you're still missing the point...

Oneplus is entitled as a community driven company, and all their popaganda use it as a big asset.
    Turns out they aren't that much of a community driven company as they like to claim.

Transparency for me is really important.

tedulus and Dunnow like this.
  19. Marco Snippe
    Honeycomb Dec 3, 2016

Thank you for your concern. But it's a fairy-tale to believe this in the end Oneplus is a company that wants to make a profit.
    Like all other company's they just want to sell phones and if their marketing strategy is to be a community driver brand and it sells. I got to say they are doing a nice job. I just want to point out with releasing the camera blobs in what ever way it improves third-party development.

otto2 likes this.
  20. Jole7
    Gingerbread Dec 3, 2016