Let's Talk About OxygenOS Analytics

1. bigtodd
    Cupcake Oct 14, 2017

bigtodd , Oct 14, 2017 :
    Since OP is a Chinese company does this mean the Chinese government has all this data? Could they be targeting certain OP owners?

Deactivated User likes this.
  2. ShadowBolt09
    KitKat Oct 14, 2017

ShadowBolt09 , Oct 14, 2017 :
    really? dude they don't share your information

3. netcat
    Froyo Oct 14, 2017

netcat , Oct 14, 2017 :
    I chose one plus cause of oxygen OS...have been a fan of its stock ROM since long...expecting you guys to live up to your reputation

4. Carl
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 14, 2017

Carl , Oct 14, 2017 :
    There's a lot of helpful discussion and suggestions in this thread on how we can improve our transparency around analytics and how we do analytics in general. Many genuinely want to see us do better, and we appreciate that.

Starting immediately, we'll be studying this subject on a more systematic level and are committed to continue improving in this regard. We'll also keep you in the loop on the progress we make. Thanks again!

5. hotsauce
    Lollipop Oct 14, 2017

hotsauce , Oct 14, 2017 :
    Thanks for listening to your customer and continue striving to improve. Customers benefited from success of companies like Oneplus.

thechadd, youbi and pa5t1s like this.
  6. waldwolf

waldwolf , Oct 14, 2017 :
    "......improve our transparency around analytics and how we do analytics in general."
    No Apology. Just more double-talk.
    "......Starting immediately, we'll be studying this subject....."
    Isn't a little late to start studying this subject? (The horse is gone. No use closing the barn doors.)
    "......and are committed to continue improving in this regard."
    Improving what? (How not to get caught again?)

Seriously, What new information does this post provide?

Answer: Nothing.
    _________
    PS - Two posts in the same thread from someone in OnePlus management?
    That has to be some kind of record. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017

7. darius1988
    KitKat Oct 14, 2017

darius1988 , Oct 14, 2017 :
    In this days all companies collect some data, even some apps... In fact a lot of people share there location in Facebook (where they are on holiday, which hotel, wich restaurant...), and now they are complaining for this... And how about people who use call recorder? They "spy" to, no? People think they are so important, they are "famous" and Carl he is a paparazzi... (welcome to reality...). If you're not a government person I don't think somebody care about you...

8. drsjlazar
    Donut Oct 14, 2017

drsjlazar , Oct 14, 2017 :
    I want to be able to see all the data you have collected about me and I want to be able to make you delete it permanently.

9. waldwolf

No, "all companies" do not collect some data.
    Only those who are breaking "Opt-Out" laws and don't care about your personal security.
    Honest companies first inform you what information they want or require, then offer OPT-IN and OPT-OUT options.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017

sfomin, Dhiren Velari and eye842 like this.
  10. waldwolf

I finally figured out why recent OP phones have all that access RAM.
    It's to prevent the phones OS from slowing down, while it continuously uploads your confidential "analytics" to Amazon's servers? :eek:;)

sfomin, Dunnow, rva and 1 other person like this.
  11. ljhs;fjascxd
    Cupcake Oct 14, 2017

ljhs;fjascxd , Oct 14, 2017 :
    Same

12. waldwolf

Another thought.

Has anyone around here contacted Amazon and inquired/informed them of this situation and the fact one of their clients is and has been for some time, storing illegally obtained & confidential information about its customers, on their servers?

I wonder what Jeff Bezos would say?

Dunnow, Dhiren Velari and Jeet77 like this.
  13. pa5t1s
    User of the Year 2014 Oct 14, 2017

pa5t1s , Oct 14, 2017 :
    We learn from our mistakes.
    Admitting it is the first step in the right direction.
    You have some homework for this weekend.

Dunnow, rva, BeingIncog and 6 others like this.
  14. casop
    Cupcake Oct 14, 2017

casop , Oct 14, 2017 :
    Thanks for the offical announcement.

But at first as many users have rightly pointed out, why was "sensitive" data collected (and without consent) ? For your fine tuning and OS optimisation, ain't "users feedback and non-sensitive" data suffice?

And on one side you admit you do collect sensitive data but you also say you no longer collect them in future.

I'm afraid there's nothing much left to collect and how are you going to justify your acts on the same?

15. paulofbedfordshire
    Cupcake Oct 14, 2017

paulofbedfordshire , Oct 14, 2017 :
    In May 2018, GDPR comes into force. http://www.eugdpr.org

@Carl you might want to declare your intentions now and facilitate a help guide showing end users how they have a right to their information and a right to offer consent.

"Consent The conditions for consent have been strengthened, and companies will no longer be able to use long illegible terms and conditions full of legalese, as the request for consent must be given in an intelligible and easily accessible form, with the purpose for data processing attached to that consent. Consent must be clear and distinguishable from other matters and provided in an intelligible and easily accessible form, using clear and plain language. It must be as easy to withdraw consent as it is to give it."

16. astralbee

astralbee , Oct 14, 2017 :
    No @Carl, you clearly don't take your customer's privacy seriously, otherwise you wouldn't have gathered phone numbers and mac addresses without their permission, something for which you have yet to apologise.

What you probably DO take seriously is the repercussions of being caught doing this, hence the sudden changes.

'Never Settle' suddenly takes on an eerie new meaning.

settle
    /ˈsɛt(ə)l/
    begin to feel comfortable or established in a new situation.

Nope, I don't think we ever will feel comfortable using your phones again.

17. Aimblack
    Cupcake Oct 14, 2017

Aimblack , Oct 14, 2017 :
    I came here from another of the internet and just came to say that I will be selling my phone and will never purchase a One Plus device again.

And instead of genuinely trying to fix it you are trying to appease by adding an option that should be there to begin with...if you want to collect my ******* telephone number you have to ask first is that such a complicated notion?
    But that ship has sailed and now I want access of all the data that you have about me and I want an option to delete that. I mean what the ****...this is google levels of evil at least they require you to sign up with a telephone number so you know they got it.

This will probably deleted but I don't give a **** and seriously you guys can go ahead and **** yourselves.

franciscoherrera84 and stin00 like this.
  18. avoros
    Donut Oct 14, 2017

avoros , Oct 14, 2017 :
    Have to mention, you have sold these phones to EU.
    There will be a hard regulation: http://www.eugdpr.org/

Take care of your older devices, you are risking 20 Million EUR penalty!!!

kaihp, Dhiren Velari and pa5t1s like this.
  19. Keshiji
    Gingerbread Oct 14, 2017

Keshiji , Oct 14, 2017 :
    Mmmhm, I never got into the User Experience program. I'm glad I suppose?

20. stin00
    Gingerbread Oct 14, 2017

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018

franciscoherrera84 likes this.