Let's Talk About OxygenOS Analytics

1. waldwolf Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 13, 2017

waldwolf, Oct 13, 2017 :
    Mods as well as administrators should keep in mind, any attempt to suppress, modify or hide such information, could make them an accessory to a crime, should the actions OnePlus have taken, were ruled illegal.

2. Mr. BG Marshmallow Oct 13, 2017

Mr. BG, Oct 13, 2017 :
    Ad 1.
    So far nothing proves you take your users and data privacy serious. Not only have your users "a right to understand how and why it is done", Oneplus should have asked permission beforehand, and you didn't.

An explanation won't do, apologies are in order.

Ad 2.
    The reason why you want to collect data is not relevant. Again, you should have asked permission beforehand. It should be opt-in, not opt-out.

Ad 3.
    Well, let's say that's a good thing.

Relatively...

Because that would have made things far, far worse. Doesn't make things right though.

Ad 4.
    All phones running Oxygen?

While you're at it, it would be a really nice gesture if you would not just stitch this wound, but throw in a security update for the Oneplus X owners.

I'm not one of them anymore, but just fixing this and continue to not care otherwise might even be considered An offensive act by the loyal customers that helped you build your brand.

Ad 5.
    Repeating your statement doesn't make it the truth, or stick to the wall really.

If your intention is to better serve your users/customers/friends there are a few suggestions your valued community has shared with you time after time. Fix stuff, do updates, don't hide behind the wall of silence.

You only come out these days every six weeks or so, be it to spawn marketing gibberish or do damage control.

It looks bad.

Do better!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017

vintagetech, allenlau, rva and 11 others like this.
  3. Chanikin Donut Oct 13, 2017

Chanikin, Oct 13, 2017 :
    This is always the culture of Chinese smartphone manufacturer - they stole & sucking up user identifiable data without their consent.

I was disappointed because I had believed that Oneplus could do it differently. But now they are all the same to me.

4. NeVeR_SeTTLe The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Oct 13, 2017

NeVeR_SeTTLe, Oct 13, 2017 :
    Bobby - It would be interesting to see if the other "big players" are also secretly stealing this info when running the same hack.

@Carl - Please answer the questions that your "FANS" want to and have the right to know:

1. Why was Wi-Fi, MAC Addresses, phone numbers collected for better after sales support?
    2. What did your team do with all of our information? What will be done now with our information? Deleted? Kept? If kept, how long and why? If deleted, how can WE trust OnePlus on your word? What proof will you guys give us that out information will be deleted?
    3. Lessons learned - Immediately work on an update for Oxygen OS to give users the choice to opt-out.

I'm no expert in running a company, but you created this community because you believed that users will have better open communication with one another, help one another, share information about what's going on with you as a company and the devices that you are selling, and most importantly, let users have a feeling like we are one big family - to share, support, communicate, solve problems, get news, etc. So I ask you, what's the point of doing this when you are hiding information from US and not being open about it?

vintagetech, MvD66, allenlau and 12 others like this.
  5. BobbyV8_ The Showcase Reviewer Oct 13, 2017

BobbyV8_, Oct 13, 2017 :
    I always suggested you to change to a ROM with finer controls. I wasn't disturbed about the news until Carl dropped the bomb.
    We were against google for doing this. Now Oneplus did this as well.

6. waldwolf Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 13, 2017

waldwolf, Oct 13, 2017 :
    This post is addressed to the present 54 people who apparently have accepted Carl's opening explanation & promises by "clicking" the "Like" button.

Promises and actions are two different things.
    I'd suggest you withhold your "Likes" until after the actions he has promised, are actually being implemented.

OnePlus's [NEVER SETTLE] pledge must also apply to honesty and visibility, not just Customer Support.

7. macemoneta Honeycomb Oct 13, 2017

macemoneta, Oct 13, 2017 :
    For those complaining about the collection of phone numbers, keep in mind that this type of collection replaces what was used before: a post card. Remember filling out all that information on the manufacturer's warranty card and sending it in? It wasn't even in an envelope. Then we registered our devices online - same information. Now, since the device is smart; we don't even have to do that.

This isn't like Equifax collecting the data covertly, and leaking it to the world (already got phished for that). This is a manufacturer that you are doing business with, and provides a warranty on a device you own.

remedy, meatandy and Mr. BG like this.
  8. sfomin Marshmallow Oct 13, 2017

sfomin, Oct 13, 2017 :
    we got 1 @Carl/DATA THEFT supporter in the house!

9. SoniaB Nougat Senior Moderator Oct 13, 2017

SoniaB, Oct 13, 2017 :
    Hi Carl just to clarify. This information is collected by OnePlus and has never been shared with a 3rd party?

I ask because the privacy and legal section says, in terms of use of oneplus.net, information is shared with a 3rd parties: https://oneplus.net/uk/privacy-and-legal

I can certainly understand why many folks here are asking for clarification on:

1. Why was some specific data collected in the first place?Telephone numbers for analytics does not make sense which is why I ask.
    2. Where has this information been stored?
    3. Is this in compliance with country specific data protection rules?
    4. Can users who contact OnePlus be given access to the data that has been collected?
    5. Whilst you state certain information will no longer be collected and an opt out will be given, what about the data already collected and stored by OnePlus. Since it is an individual's data, will this be destroyed on request?

10. macemoneta Honeycomb Oct 13, 2017

Histrionics is the new reasoned discussion. Won't someone PLEASE think of the children?!?

Dunnow likes this.
  11. macemoneta Honeycomb Oct 13, 2017

As an ex-telecom person, your phone number provides useful information: The country you reside in, the service provider you are using. Depending on the country, it can also provide region information.

If you think every manufacturer isn't collecting this data, you are naive.

12. Radeon962 KitKat Oct 13, 2017

Radeon962, Oct 13, 2017 :
    Why require a log-in? Just delete it and be done with it. I guess you could say how do we know it's gone if OnePlus is responsible to delete it rather than the user but I think that is the case even if the user were given access to delete it. Who knows where the data has gone and what security measures are in place to safe guard it.

The Equifax breach shows that very little accumulated data is safe when held by anyone.

rva, remedy and meatandy like this.
  13. louis25th Cupcake Oct 13, 2017

louis25th, Oct 13, 2017 :
    First, if I send the warranty card, it's ME consciously give out my information, and ME putting it into the mail box. it totally different from this situation where 1+ steal our info with out out consent.

Second, why would you assume we use the same phone number for the warranty claim contact as the one we put into the phone?

vintagetech, rva, danellisuk and 2 others like this.
  14. SoniaB Nougat Senior Moderator Oct 13, 2017

SoniaB, Oct 13, 2017 :
    Oh, I assure you, I am not naive.
    I understand perfectly well what "helpful" information my telephone number may provide. However, Carl states that information was looked at in aggregate and to improve product and service offerings. So it was collected for marketing purposes. Example: How many French customers there are, what carrier they use etc etc.
    GPS/geotagging, APN carrier settings etc would have provided the same info without the need for storing a telephone number.

rva, remedy, otto2 and 2 others like this.
  15. louis25th Cupcake Oct 13, 2017

louis25th, Oct 13, 2017 :
    Again, other manufacturers would either put that in the term of use, although that's still a shitty move, or they will in a law suit.

And other people doing it doesn't make something less illegal. Logic is just not on your side.

rva and agoinfly like this.
  16. macemoneta Honeycomb Oct 13, 2017

When Motorola stole your data, were you concerned? LG? Samsung? Apple? HTC?

This just seems like an imaginary outrage. It's nothing new.

17. macemoneta Honeycomb Oct 13, 2017

That would have been truly invasive tracking. I think you don't understand what you are suggesting.

bferg317 and danellisuk like this.
  18. SimonRam Lollipop Oct 13, 2017

SimonRam, Oct 13, 2017 :
    @fapping ? ;)

NeVeR_SeTTLe and Rick Manders like this.
  19. waldwolf Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 13, 2017

waldwolf, Oct 13, 2017 :
    I'm sorry, but I disagree with part of your comparison.

It's one thing to fill out a written questionnaire, yet another to have your personal information "taken-without-your-knowledge-or-permission". (Refer to the original (now closed) thread, where OnePlus admitted a second data mining link was also sent to Amazon servers, but not mentioned in their so-called-"disclosure document" on their phone(s).

OnePlus's actions in this matter is "data mining".
    Some data was collected covertly. (OnePlus has admitted this.)
    How can OP's customers know and confirm their personal data has not been "shared" or taken by people outside OnePlus? (Especially now OP have admitted "misleading" users as to this particular transfer of data to Amazon servers.)

PS - A while ago, Amazon admitted several of their servers had been "hacked". (What may have been "mined", has not been disclosed.)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017

rva, danellisuk and Dunnow like this.
  20. apurva_kumar Donut Oct 13, 2017

apurva_kumar, Oct 13, 2017 :
    What is the point of collecting all the information, and all the justification and these "never settle", and humongous hardware, if you can't provide software updates, why should I go for your devices with 6-8GBs RAM if you can't provide an update for a year. At the end of the year I will anyway will have to change my device, at this point of time why wouldn't I go for Pixel Devices if I am getting for the same price, with the surety that it will have exclusive features which OnePlus or others cannot provide and atleast 2 years of update cycle, with the very first device to get the updates. The features provided by OnePlus are not different as of Samsung and neither exclusive. Furthermore it's very hard to get any accessories for the devices, NOT even on the official WEBSITE. I am sorry it's not a "NEVER SETTLE".

sathya durairaj likes this.