Let’s talk about product and design philosophy

1. sfomin
    Nougat Aug 17, 2016

sfomin , Aug 17, 2016 :
    off to confess you two[​IMG]

2. bulletmark
    Honeycomb Aug 17, 2016

bulletmark , Aug 17, 2016 :
    I prefer it the way OP have designed it as it gives you a easy visual orientation of the phone. A problem with Nexus phones and the previous OPO etc, is that the all glass front means you sometimes grab the phone quickly with it upside down. I want to see where to put my finger on the FP scanner without having to think too hard about it.

The hardware design of the OP3 is excellent. It's in OOS software design, implementation, and management where the OP company needs to significantly improve ..

JasonMR and LammyPictures like this.
  3. LammyPictures
    Honeycomb Aug 18, 2016

LammyPictures , Aug 18, 2016 :
    I'd have thought the charging port, speaker and frontcam/backcam would be enough to distinguish.

I do LOVE that the headphone jack is next to the usb port as I do plug my phone in charging and listening to music.

Totally agreed about software updates as, for this price bracket, the Nexus range are the competition here and those phones get crazy fast software updates.

4. cobajalan
    Gingerbread Aug 18, 2016

cobajalan , Aug 18, 2016 :
    Black Oneplus X front design still better than Oneplus 3..
    Dark, solid, and minimalist..

The touch button in oneplus 3 should hidden under the glass and the area above screen is symetry with area below screen..

LammyPictures likes this.
  5. lucifercipher
    Froyo Aug 18, 2016

lucifercipher , Aug 18, 2016 :
    I made a mistake of buying Samsung s7 edge before OnePlus 3 became available but recommended one plus 3 to two of my colleagues and they bought it. I am still OnePlus 2 user and use it as a primary device compared to Samsung. It does wonders for me still.

6. Mr. BG
    Welcoming Expert, Community Hero 2020 Community Expert Aug 18, 2016

Ceasedd and sfomin like this.
  7. harlekinwashere
    Honeycomb Aug 18, 2016

harlekinwashere , Aug 18, 2016 :
    Early enough - phew, looking at the comment above don't start the personal heckling quite yet - response to the Pete reaction is about to follow.

Mr. BG likes this.
  8. Dascalupaul87
    Donut Aug 18, 2016

Dascalupaul87 , Aug 18, 2016 :
    It's a pretty phone, the design of the phone was one of the things that made me buy it, but nothing can be perfect for everyone.
    I'm not going to pick on the usual suspects like the camera bump or speaker placement, they don't bother me much, since I use a case and that fixes the camera bump issue, and for the speakers, honestly I wouldn't care much if I didn't find myself constantly covering it while gaming. It would be interesting if we could use the speaker on the top, the one used during phone calls in combination with the bottom speaker. I think HTC already did that.

A small nuisance that kinda disappointed me is the notification LED.
    First of all it's too small, I can barely see it during day time, and second the way it turns on and off.
    My main use of this LED is while walking around the house I take a look at the phone and try to see if I have any notifications, as I mentioned above it's small, and while it fades away it's also harder to notice.
    It would be nice if we could customize the way the LED works.
    Now, a cycle is something like 25% full brightness, 25% fading, 50% off, thus from a full cycle it's only fully visible 25% of the time. I would probably go for something like 75% full brightness and 25% off.

Double tap to turn off the display after double tapping it to light it up would also be welcomed.
    I'm trying to do that with the recent buttons, but while the phone it's locked with the display on, it only seems to work with the back button. I can't have that since I have the habit of spamming that button to quit applications, and that makes the screen turn off while I'm doing stuff.

9. sfomin
    Nougat Aug 18, 2016

sfomin , Aug 18, 2016 :
    no, by the time he finishes his speech, the father would be dead asleep[​IMG]

Ceasedd and Mr. BG like this.
  10. harlekinwashere
    Honeycomb Aug 18, 2016

Those are the right words, but all of it is superfluous without any actions.

What follows (not quoted) is the same public statement followed by a plug that I personally have already read three times in this forum. Now we've got it from the Pete account as well - great.

Here is the deal - while Oneplus likes to keep the public image of a company that has users that arent dependent on purely the "group mechanics" of "feeling great about sharing the same opinion with others", because it has all those intelligent people, those "maveriks" - Apple famously dedicated a commercial to - (then they sold their iPads to the US education system - which turned out not to be the right tool for any job - and too expensive to be replaced in less than a decade, or to be scalable across the entire education system, or...)

- but in fact, all their actions (despite maybe this one post from the CEO account in this topic) are aimed at stifling critical thought, minimizing contact surface, prolonging a culture where ignorance and blind trust ("I recommended it to all my friends, without actually using one -- " *duckface*) are more common, than

- any testing
    - any reporting
    - any discernable process
    - or learning from actual regressions, that we - in accordance with the majority opinion in here "should just get used to"

None of this follows the scientific ethos or any post enlightenment philosophy - we in the west like to base our image of society on - at least when it works...

I don't know how your selfimage is created, but from working through this forum and reddit sporadicaly - Oneplus and Oneplus users, are far, far more interested in producing and maintaining fervor, than to actually apply any forward looking modes of action at all. Being progressive just isnt in your DNA. And most people even >love< you for that as well.

Its easier also - and if one thing represents Oneplus at this point in time its, laughing about gen Y jokes and catpics together with your peers, then pushing out product thats "hardly working at all" - and ducking behind the real swing, when asking if people liked the design, peppering every answer with a tested pr message that follows afterwards. (*shamelessplug*)

Yes, you dropped a key differentiator - when you decided to go metal, just like the rest of them. Congratulations, you wont get it back.

But what about the actual design concerns? The ones that have nothing to do with you loosing a key differentiating feature. The front screams Samsung, the back screems HTC - and when people first saw your product and you werent in marketing push mode, the first public reaction was - this is ugly. (And just between us, I think they were right then..)

So - your reaction is to go back to your motto - and pronounce all of this to be OK, because "you guys never settle" and you are highly motivated - not to talk publicly about issues - or fix reporting, or have changelogs that arent massaged or as undescriptive as possible, or have internal testing, ...

When I was making a reference towards the Oneplus slogan having become a joke in the public eye of many people in here - it wasn't meant to be picked up by you to use the "symbolic power" it once had to win the upper hand again - without reacting in any way to the situation at hand.

Its like magic fairydust - really, a slogan that binds people, encourages them, gives them hope and then - nothing.

Happy to talk to you (all) through the public sphere, and Im sure we'll do the same in six months time.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016

Swatpt, ihonize, kpmak and 1 other person like this.
  11. sfomin
    Nougat Aug 18, 2016

sfomin , Aug 18, 2016 :
    [​IMG]

Ceasedd and Mr. BG like this.
  12. harlekinwashere
    Honeycomb Aug 18, 2016

TLDR; requests in a topic about the future of a company are almost like stating -

-

We don't want to feel, as Oneplus customers, that some of us are different. Differnt social groups. Different knowledge levels. Heck, some of us even like reading - because it is the main tool people are taught to actually understand the social and organisational structures around them.

@Pete says: We are proud of the knowledge thats part of our community.

Community says: TLDR; and puts a gen Y "funny stock image" with preselected *meme* after it.

Have fun reusing memes, I am working on epistemes in the meantime. Like: Oneplus is a mere shadow of its former image, all about dumb slogans and brand management, selling gold color variants and cheap plastic covers - and structurally showing severe issues it might not be able to overcome.

Their phones don't work as phones when you need them to.

And we arent even sure if they got the message, because they remain silent most of the time, especially about any issues.

(But they tried to make metal sandstone (i.e. you can file through prison bars with this phone) work. It didn't. *slowbellyclap*)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016

Swatpt, kpmak and Mr. BG like this.
  13. sfomin
    Nougat Aug 18, 2016

sfomin , Aug 18, 2016 :
    can i get a TLDR on that TLDR[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ceasedd likes this.
  14. Mr. BG
    Welcoming Expert, Community Hero 2020 Community Expert Aug 18, 2016

Mr. BG , Aug 18, 2016 :
    It's going to be long again isn't it?

Yep, it's long.

Oh dear, "One more thing"...

Or should i say "Call now, but wait..."

That's just amazing Mike!

sfomin likes this.
  15. LionelDVD
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 18, 2016

LionelDVD , Aug 18, 2016 :
    Great post Pete and appreciate your sharing on OP3 quality. I must confess this phone is awesome in term of design, perfs and the quality perception is even far better than an iPhone 6S. I am with OP since the beginning and got all OP produits (I even still have all of them), and really noticed the evolution of OP. One word then: congratulations and keep that line making all of us dreaming about the next One... Never settle !

16. LionelDVD
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 18, 2016

17. Ceasedd
    Marshmallow Aug 18, 2016

Ceasedd , Aug 18, 2016 :
    . There's no question in OP3' build quality compared to similar devices.It still reminds me of an HTC for some reason.Question? Will there ever be a Red version? Wishful thinking here.Red is stunning. Red-OP3.jpg Also,are you willing to part with that prototype battery cover?If so how much?

18. daniel1022
    Cupcake Aug 18, 2016

19. reasontouse
    Gingerbread Aug 18, 2016

reasontouse , Aug 18, 2016 :
    Pete, I have seen and personally tested/enjoyed the whole journey of the 3 flagships by OnePlus so far. All I can say that you people rock and with the OP3, you have truly given the industry a killer phone at a killer price. As a tech-blogger and someone who reviews phone every second month, OP3 is a great phone in 2016 - well done and thanks.

20. arharsh46
    Honeycomb Aug 18, 2016

arharsh46 , Aug 18, 2016 :
    @Pete i was one of those who had found the similarity in the aesthetics one OP3 and HTC devices and criticised a lot. and also one of them who just wants to cling on to the sandstone finish so dearly that i am still yet confuse if i should upgrade my OP2 or not. but let me tell you something, you have spoilt us, after buying Oneplus one and when i looked at the detailing in packaging and the design of the device, each item was branded in an amazing style, cant just stand the looks of any other phone (specially now i cant stand the bling of the glass cladded devices), and that had and still is preventing me or people like to not to consider oneplus 3.

but anyways it was nice to read about design philosophy and its evolution. and i hope just like hardwares you will not settle in software department and can make the update little faster, and in timely manner as well.