Let's talk about Wireless Charging

1. Deactivated User
    Nov 8, 2017

2. sfomin
    Nougat Nov 8, 2017

sfomin , Nov 8, 2017 :
    what a load of shit...

False. Perfectly aligned? Really? Throw it on the pad and its good to go... Unless your aim is so bad...

oh yeah? Then try dash charging multiple OnePlus phones! oh thats right, you cant! really grasping for straws here...

Wireless is not a replacement for wired. Its nice to have a choice especially since there are threads popping up of loose usb ports in your devices...

and one wireless charging session gives you the same amount if power... what are you on about?!

yes you can. it will just stop charging. set it down after you are done and it will resume charging...

there are cases where wireless charging is better. like when at the desk at work. one leaves the desk multiple times. having to plug and unplug the phone multiple times is not as convenient as setting it down on a charge pad... and other examples that i wont bother mentioning.

3. MaNemZeus
    Froyo Nov 8, 2017

MaNemZeus , Nov 8, 2017 :
    I completely agree. No need to have wireless charging, when Dash Charge can charge your phone very quickly. With wireless charging, you are limited to having your phone on a pad. You can't multitask as much compared to wired charging. I honestly think wireless charging, is just a feature that is nice to have, but not necessary.

F_Manon_Gans_AZqo likes this.
  4. keithnyc
    Lollipop Moderator Nov 8, 2017

keithnyc , Nov 8, 2017 :
    Wireless charging is cool, but for me at least, DASH charging is the way to go...I was in airport and only had 45 minutes until my flight. I was able to use my phone and power up my OP for the rest of the day, with juice to spare for navigating to my hotel with Uber...

5. Serbian Overlord
    KitKat Nov 8, 2017

Serbian Overlord , Nov 8, 2017 :
    They are charging $550+ for their phones these days; just because Google and Apple are charging $1000, doesn't make $550+ cheap or affordable by any means. Not that long ago, Nexus 6P was $499 and wasn't considered "cheap".

Mr.Hatcherstone likes this.
  6. fdroko
    Jelly Bean Nov 8, 2017

fdroko , Nov 8, 2017 :
    it is not necessary, in addition to that should come in the package a charging cradle qi to not buy how accessory

7. Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Marshmallow Senior Moderator Nov 8, 2017

Maximus Decimus Meridius , Nov 8, 2017 :
    Todays wireless charging should be named as "magnetic docking", or something like that.
    There is still a cable 5centimeter from my phone, with a huge docking disc.
    While charging, there is no freedom at all. Even less than regular/cabled docking.
    Apart from the inefficiency (heat, slow charging), it also brings costs. Users need to buy chargers etc etc. (Thank you for that, thats a couple of bucks i dont have to spend) And takes some space (not much, but it does) on the device, including dedicated materials on the back.

Only PRO's i can think of: fast (un)mounting (like, 2sec faster then USB-c) and
    Maybe, just maybe, its also good to make phone clean and simple (no cable-connectors, easy waterproofing, etc)

Good choice product team!

8. OnePlusFan1919
    Gingerbread Nov 8, 2017

OnePlusFan1919 , Nov 8, 2017 :

I do have to say, there is a place for wireless charging. That being in cars with built-in wireless charging pads and Android Auto. That is a combo that wired charging just simply cannot beat.

youbi likes this.
  9. youbi
    Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Nov 8, 2017

youbi , Nov 8, 2017 :
    Nevertheless you decide to buy the pixel 2 XL, a phone that doesn't support wireless charging. So that means that you are ok about the lack of that feature and you value other things more, won't you agree? Otherwise you would have chosen a different phone. ;)

10. OnePlusFan1919
    Gingerbread Nov 8, 2017

Dash charging comes a cost too. You've got to buy additional cables and adaptors if you want to charge in your car unless you carry your cable where ever you go vs a wireless charging pad built-in to my car.

11. Mdh_lone
    Cupcake Nov 8, 2017

Mdh_lone , Nov 8, 2017 :
    I kinda like the way you are thinking. I am of the opinion that dash charging is great but some point of time you need to get into this because technology is moving fast and also people want something new from their smartphones so that they can upgrade.

12. lewismercer
    Froyo Nov 8, 2017

lewismercer , Nov 8, 2017 :
    I currently have a galaxy s7 and going to pre order the oneplus 5T. Wireless charging is one thing I am going to miss because its the whole idea of the phone always being charged up. i have the wireless charger on my desk and over time it becomes natural to put the phone on the charger instead of putting it down. However I also love the look, feel and the fact you cant smash the back of the oneplus 5 so im not sure if that's a trade off i like or not. 50/50.

13. NovinDavis
    KitKat Nov 8, 2017

14. bharathpsd
    Gingerbread Nov 8, 2017

bharathpsd , Nov 8, 2017 :
    The best consideration (wireless) you didn't chose is a great move thinking of the cons.

I like how you think than the other tech companies.

15. sfomin
    Nougat Nov 8, 2017

sfomin , Nov 8, 2017 :
    bingo.

nyzproof333 and lewismercer like this.
  16. bharathpsd
    Gingerbread Nov 8, 2017

bharathpsd , Nov 8, 2017 :
    easy to say, hard to implement. we are not far but takes little more time.

17. lewismercer
    Froyo Nov 8, 2017

lewismercer , Nov 8, 2017 :
    They also have the problem of the glass back. Apple moved to glass back JUST for wireless charging and now everyone is smashing the back of their phones too! I think it would be cool if there was an efficient way to do wireless charging through other materials but I know this is easier said than done.

18. OnePlusFan1919
    Gingerbread Nov 8, 2017

My Lumia 950 XL has a leather back (Plastic stock) and it does wireless charging. Glass backs are not required for that to work.

19. rainaar
    Gingerbread Nov 8, 2017

rainaar , Nov 8, 2017 :
    Honestly I am also not too excited about wireless charging keeping in mind its limitations but who knows in future a new way of wireless charging etc. I am more excited about dash or quick charge and OP has lived up to expectations and made a mark with dash charge. However qualcomm quick charge 4 and on wards will be exciting addition to OP world of hi-tech specifications.

20. malidan
    Marshmallow Nov 8, 2017

malidan , Nov 8, 2017 :
    Man the excuses have started already.

No wireless charge what a surprise, i mean it is a OP after all.
    I suppose the fact the they are borrowing OPPO's build again, has no barring on this omission. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017