Let's talk about Wireless Charging

1. elanglois Lollipop Jan 3, 2019

elanglois, Jan 3, 2019 :
    here's my 2 cents

Lithium batteries do NOT like deep charging cycles. Its best to charge often. Its also less destructive to charge slower.

I tend to charge overnight. There is no need at all for fast charge in this situation. However, having to find the cable and plug it in takes time. And its extra wear-n-tear on the port. And if the phone falls while its plugged in, it can damage the port.

Wireless charging is perfect for use overnight. I have the dash charger in the livingroom in case I need a quick top-up pulling an all-nighter.

sir1jaguar and W1540386112110 like this.
  2. alishan212 Froyo Jan 3, 2019

alishan212, Jan 3, 2019 :
    Well over a year, and this post is still just as valid. I don't understand why people are so crazy about wireless charging. At least for the time being, it's a gimmick - an expensive gimmick - that's only good for showing off.
    The old dash charge holds out solidly well. All I need are 45-60 minutes before I've got enough juice to last me a day. With the new Warp charge technology, OnePlus 6t McLaren users, and future OnePlus device users, will need only 30-45 minutes.
    I'd chose this convenience over two to three odd hours required by a lot of "affordable" wireless chargers out there.

3. alishan212 Froyo Jan 3, 2019

I've heard arguments about Li-ion batteries in favour of both quick charge and overnight charging. I consider overnight charging harmful to batteries, because I've seen arguments and proofs substantiating the same.
    Having said this, I've also seen many experts proclaim overnight charging is the best.

It varies from use case to use case. I avoid getting my phone to 100 as much as possible. I let it charge till about 85-90 and unplug.
    Finding the adapter cable and plugging it in takes hardly two seconds.

4. W1540386112110 Cupcake Jan 3, 2019

W1540386112110, Jan 3, 2019 :
    I don't think it's about how it's not as fast as wired charging, it's about having the option and how that fits into the future of the evolving tech around us which supports it.
    Why do all the other manufacturers have wireless charging as well as fast charge? Its about providing the option because Oneplus' market is no longer geeks who want a fast phone, it varies so much now as the company grows.
    I understand they have to keep the cost down but wireless tech is years old now and can't be that expensive.
    C'mon Oneplus, just stick one in there and be done with it!

sir1jaguar and nyzproof333 like this.
  5. alishan212 Froyo Jan 3, 2019

Firstly, to have wireless charging, they have to engineer the entire phone to support it. When you say "stick one in there and be done with it" you definitely give off the impression you don't know what goes into engineering phones.
    Second, you're free to purchase from any of those manufacturers if you want wireless charging that bad, you know?
    Third, the average person uses a phone for about two to three years at most. Wireless technology won't become that evolved in such a short while.
    Fourthly, it'll be just like the situation with warp charge, imo. Old devices can't use Warp charge. Similarly, a device with wireless charging today most likely won't be compatible with a fast wireless charger that comes out in the future. You'll be stuck with an extremely slow wireless charger or you'll but a new device anyway.
    Fifth, OnePlus follows the same philosophy - to deliver a fast and smooth experience, with devices that make the best use of technology available. That's what makes people purchase their devices to begin with. It's never been about geeks.

6. elanglois Lollipop Jan 3, 2019

elanglois, Jan 3, 2019 :
    I don't believe in charging my phone less because if you wear down the battery all you're going to do Sable battery charges I. So basically if my battery only charges to 85% after 3 years because I've been charging it to a hundred Tama the intersect I've been getting more out of my battery for those three years and you have some big one because you're only charging to 85%.

sir1jaguar likes this.
  7. elanglois Lollipop Jan 3, 2019

elanglois, Jan 3, 2019 :
    incidentally, my OnePlus One battery is still going strong.

8. alishan212 Froyo Jan 3, 2019

I'm sorry? I don't quite understand.
    But from what I do understand, Li-ion batteries aren't memory based. They won't really "forget" their full capacity, minus the usual degradation.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links to YouTube videos here?

But this might help:

9. elanglois Lollipop Jan 3, 2019

elanglois, Jan 3, 2019 :
    Yes, your battery won't degrade as quickly if you only charge it to 80%.

Here is an example. Let's say my battery is 3400mAh. By charging it to 100%, the battery slowly degrades such that after 2 years of use, I only get 2720mAh on a full charge.

Now, assume that by charging to 80% rather than 100%, you get zero battery degradation. It's going to be more than zero, but for the sake of my example, let's assume it's zero and you have a full 3400mAh. However, you charged it to only 80%, which is 2720mAh.

So ... did you gain anything? Our phones will now have exactly the same longevity because we both have 2720mAh charges. But, in the 2 years previous, I was charging my phone to 100% and was enjoying the longer battery life throughout the day.

In practice, batteries tend to degrade quite quickly to 80% regardless of how you treat them (as long as you don't drain it dry regularly) and you will buy a new phone before the battery is perceptively degraded.

Also, Android won't ever keep a battery at 100%. Once it hits 100%, it turns off the AC and runs off batttery power until you unplug it and plug it back in or the battery goes under 90%

sir1jaguar likes this.
  10. alishan212 Froyo Jan 3, 2019

I keep mine up to 90% to minimise degradation over time. Which means the odds I'll need a replacement will be less.

Plus, to charge from 90 to 100%, you need more potential. You'll be subjecting the battery to high voltage with less current flowing into the battery.

Also, android doesn't turn off the ac. It'll switch completely to AC. Power will be sucked in from mains, leaving your battery at 100%.

11. elanglois Lollipop Jan 3, 2019

elanglois, Jan 3, 2019 :
    First, be aware that OnePlus does not use Qualcomm's quickcharge technology. Instead, OnePlus uses a constant voltage (rated 5V, but in practice it's closer to 4.5V)

Second, look at all the people that take their phone off the charger and then complain how quickly the phone drains to 90% or so after just 15 minutes. This is because the phone lies about being charged to 100 in order to prevent consumers from complaining about broken chargers. What happens in that the actual and reported charge slowly sync up over that 15-20 minutes. It didn't discharge, it started reporting what the actual charge was. This was empirically measured and is reported here ... https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=871051

And as I said before. My OnePlus One is still over 80% of its battery and its old enough to start school now. At times, its been left plugged in for weeks! If what you say is true, the battery would be hot, kept hot, and now very dead. Evidence doesn't lie.

And my point still stands. If you don't charge all the way, you might as well have a degraded battery already! Whats the difference between charging to 90% and degrading the battery to 90%, except the latter got a lot more use before degradation?

sir1jaguar likes this.
  12. nyzproof333 KitKat Jan 3, 2019

nyzproof333, Jan 3, 2019 :
    "Only good for showing off"?

It's about having options. I will take more over less any day.

sir1jaguar likes this.
  13. alishan212 Froyo Jan 4, 2019

alishan212, Jan 4, 2019 :
    Again, like I said, it varies with people and how people use their phones.
    I've seen evidence both ways, so I suppose there really is no wrong way per se.
    I've used my old device for over three years with consistent battery performance xD
    The verge has an excellent video that recommends people go for whichever option they prefer.

If charging to 100% works for you, great!
    I'm just saying that charging to 100 once in a while, and keeping it lower usually works for me.
    So there's really no wrong way, imo.

14. felipemendes Jelly Bean Jan 4, 2019

felipemendes, Jan 4, 2019 :
    What I'd like to see is a "easy on the battery" mode, where my phone would charge to 80% and discharge to 30%,then turn off. This would be great, as I usually charge my phone in the end of the day when level is about 50%.

15. elanglois Lollipop Jan 4, 2019

elanglois, Jan 4, 2019 :
    I agree. I find most of the people cheering for Dash Charge seem to be missing the fact that these aren't mutually exclusive technologies. We shouldn't need to choose. We can have both.

Also, those that cite DashCharge's times, while they are VERY fast, are missing the fact that some of us charge overnight while we sleep. I don't wait an hour, nor just 30 mins for a charge. It happens while I sleep, so it effectively takes no time at all

16. ceejaycee Gingerbread Feb 2, 2019

ceejaycee, Feb 2, 2019 :
    I have the OP6, it having replaced an OP5t. I only replaced the 5t because if the 'new shiny' factor of the 6. Loved the 5t, (I'm sure the person I sold it to does also!) I love my OP6. I guess I'm writing this to say that I've reached the point that 'without a significant improvement, I won't be getting another'. The 6t looks great. Front magic FP reader is cool looking, but 'meh'. Not giving up my headphone jack for it. The only thing the OP7 could do to pull me away from my OP6 is to give me (you guessed it) WIRELESS CHARGING. I love love love (insert flashy name that they are using for used to be known as Dash charge). I want them BOTH! I don't want fast wireless charging. It needs to be s~l~o~w so my battery stays happy. I know you could implement both. Pretty please?

sir1jaguar and W1540386112110 like this.
  17. romeogonzalez Cupcake Mar 5, 2019

romeogonzalez, Mar 5, 2019 :
    As a OnePlus One, 3, 5, 6T User I miss the 3.5 plug for my headphones, but your OP Wireless bullets have put my Sony WH-1000XM2 Wireless Noise-Canceling Headphones in my drawer and to use only when I am in-flight.

You didn't keep your promise to never remove the 3.5 plug, well OK, but You can keep your no wireless charging promise, I love Dash Charging and long lasting phone with big battery.

Do me a favor and please, please make Wireless Bullets that can work seamlessly with 2 devices, my laptop and my 6T phone. This I do miss from my Sony's but is too much for work, I prefer the OP Wireless Bullets in the office.

Keep up the great work !!!!

18. aplymale Cupcake Mar 5, 2019

aplymale, Mar 5, 2019 :
    coming from an LG G6 I can honestly say I do not miss wireless charging. The only time I think I may miss it is if my phone gets wet (submerged). I would not want to plug in an electrical source to the phone and risk a short. Wireless charging would come in handy at that point.

19. Hoqmeister Froyo Mar 17, 2019

Hoqmeister, Mar 17, 2019 :
    wireless charging is too slow but may still be useful if you're at your desk & it's propped up while charging wirelessly in a dock

or when charging overnight with ambient display visible

sir1jaguar likes this.
  20. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Mar 18, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Mar 18, 2019 :
    So much rubbish for a tech that will eventually come to OnePlus devices?

Just admit that it is a well thought compromise you made to keep costs low, or keep profits growing.

Because people like me will quote such posts when you eventually launch the tech on your devices (I guess in 2020). And then you will have to come up with more rubbish to explain the contradictions.

No one asked for wireless charging as a replacement for wired charging, nor has any company launched such phones yet.

sir1jaguar and alessiodales like this.