Let's talk about Wireless Charging

1. EpicCon Eclair Mar 19, 2019

EpicCon, Mar 19, 2019 :
    well now that S10 is released does one plus still think wireless charging is not worth the effort? I mean they removed the head phone jack so only option are wireless ear buds and they need to be charged right? well Samsung released the reverse wireless charging thingy which can not only charge phone but the wireless ear buds too (even tho it has a headphone jack).

well i has a example to prove my point :

Imagine ur going somewhere in a public vehicle and ur unfortunate enough to be surrounded with bunch of noisy people, now wut do u do to save ur self ? yep that's right u take ur wireless ear buds to ignore there existence but ohh wait wuts that the ear buds are on low battery that means u gotta endure the pain for the pain stacking 4 hours or whatever duration of trip and u can't charge them cause u forgot ur power bank and ur phone doesn't support reverse wireless charging.

(I'm aware the ear buds takes time to charge but cmon it might be better to endure the noise for 30 min rather then for whole trip right?)

so I was wondering if one plus still think dash charger is still superior in terms of use cases ? I mean if u can do it why not make it optional u don't has to force on the face of consumer to only use wireless charger right ? they will use it as they see fit.

EDIT: you might point out there are type c bullet ear phone just for that kind of situation but I has a point to defend my point. let's say before u left for trip u checked ur phone and it was at 25% so u were like oo okie I will just charge it with power bank while on my trip so say u brought ur power bank with you on trip (fortunately).
    but (unfortunately) now ur stuck with a tough choice charge the phone or use bullet ear buds .

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019

sir1jaguar and wilsmits like this.
  2. BYG BYRD Gingerbread Mar 20, 2019

BYG BYRD, Mar 20, 2019 :
    Make wireless charging real....I mean to say ...Plug charger in wall & Use your phone and it will charge without putting it on dock

3. sir1jaguar Gingerbread Mar 25, 2019

sir1jaguar, Mar 25, 2019 :
    @Pete,

Give us an OPTION to have "WIRELESS CHARGING", as my whole family has that in all our cars, office, kitchen, bedrooms, etc....

Yes, WIRED CHARGING is fast BUT when we go to bed, we don't need it, we love to have a much simpler charging of our devices (NO hunting of the cable and the port itself, especially in a dark situation).

Let's be honest to ourselves, having CHOICES is better than NOTHING at all.

Have a great day to y'all...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019

4. christran12 Donut Mar 27, 2019

christran12, Mar 27, 2019 :
    I second this. 90% of the times, I charge my phone overnight at my nightstand. I don't need it to be quick. The other 10% percent, dash charging is awesome. But again, that's only if I somehow drain my battery in the middle of the day and need to top off quickly, which rarely happens. I've had to resort to one of those Qi charging receiver pads that takes up the USB-C port and I have to hide with a case. As bad as that sounds, it provides enough convenience for me to put up with it. I know a few people who have done the same, which shows you what kind of value it is. It also works exceedingly well with my car mount, which, guess what, has a Qi charger built-in. My phone is pretty much never below 60%.

sir1jaguar likes this.
  5. christran12 Donut Mar 27, 2019

christran12, Mar 27, 2019 :
    Or better yet, make QI charging cases that fit the phone a bit better. That way, you're giving us option without redesigning the phone.

EpicCon and sir1jaguar like this.
  6. waldwolf Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 1, 2019

waldwolf, Apr 1, 2019 :
    Unfortunately, wireless-charging still has some problems, as Apple reluctantly admitted, when 2 days ago they cancelled their widely anticipated "AirPower" wireless charger, due to unresolved overheating problems.

Patience.......It's coming.

7. sir1jaguar Gingerbread Apr 1, 2019

sir1jaguar, Apr 1, 2019 :
    That's FAKE NEWS!

(We have tons of engineers from Apple here in Austin, and they said it's about the "continuity" of the features for the smartwatch, phone, etc... that IF you're charging them at the same time, it will talk to each other, so you know what's happening, but they CANNOT nail it down)

Please, don't spout wrong information here, stupid fanboys/fangirls are easy to believe in lies.

Have a great day
    1554078519345.jpg

8. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Apr 1, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Apr 1, 2019 :
    those problems were specific to AirPower because of its design, which had coils stacked over one another to detect the device to be charged.

as such, my comment is only pointing to the fact that the explanation is ridiculous, as wireless charging isn't a replacement for wired charging, at least not just yet.

the fact remains that this is a cost cutting exercise for obvious reasons. Apple removed the headphone jack to make space for other more useful technologies (currently the taptic engine) and to make way for transition to wireless audio, which is the future. Same with the notch. that was necessary for the required FaceID hardware, while keeping the bezels to a minimum everywhere else. they bought these changes with a purpose behind them, unlike Android OEMs who just copied the design just to look premium, because Apple products are synonymous with premium design (at least that's how the market treats them), with no other functional basis for the change. and they didn't do a great job either.

9. Hoots2 Gingerbread Apr 2, 2019

Hoots2, Apr 2, 2019 :
    This original post sounds good except a 30 minute charge lasts a day, that's a lie!

10. Hoots2 Gingerbread Apr 2, 2019

Hoots2, Apr 2, 2019 :
    I don't care if it employs another 1 million, probably illegals, no way I'm buying anything Apple!

11. Bigboifrank Cupcake Apr 8, 2019

Bigboifrank, Apr 8, 2019 :
    Guys...it's time. It's time to stop stalling for the sake of saving money on R&D.....and include wireless charging. I would love to sell my Mate 20 Pro and buy a 7 when you guys release it, but without wireless charging, is not going to happen. The feature is just to convenient. I have spot in my car they charges wirelessly for good sake.

12. R1555263766743 Cupcake Apr 14, 2019

13. R1548165398791 Eclair Apr 15, 2019

14. nickwag Eclair Apr 16, 2019

nickwag, Apr 16, 2019 :
    I've bought a 3rd party wireless charging pad and tbh, it works well if you're sat at a desk and just let it sit over 80%. I'm happy drip-charging mine.

15. DARTH 007 KitKat Apr 18, 2019

DARTH 007, Apr 18, 2019 :
    long live no wireless charging.
    can we have it in the op7 pro.
    since it will cost a bomb.

16. aaronthelegend Donut Apr 18, 2019

aaronthelegend, Apr 18, 2019 :
    oof

17. pgrey Honeycomb Apr 20, 2019

pgrey, Apr 20, 2019 :
    I've LONG been using wireless charging, going back to a Nokia 1020, old HTC One M8 (added coil), 950XL, OP5T (added coil), and my OP6 now (also added coil).
    I don't understand how you can stand to NOT have it, once you use it, the convenience of just putting it into a dock on your desk, the car, etc, it's pretty hard to deny.
    I get that it's a big deal to plug in the cable, really, but why would you not want the convenience, I think it's a bit delusional, personally, to claim that you don't think it's "convenient". Fast charging is great stuff, but not when you have a (tacked-on) Qi coil already taking plugged in, then it's mostly moot (if it had the coil built-in, both could/would be possible).
    Pretty much every other flagship has it now, people love it, and every review I've read on a cell in the past 2-3 years mentions it (the presence or lack there-of).
    Say it adds maybe $0.75/device, but they sell 3 million more devices, as a result, it seems like it's a break-even-or-slight- profit scenario, maybe worst-case, a (very) slight loss? But reviewers are adding comments like "yep OP did it 100% right this time, with charging"...

meatandy likes this.
  18. meatandy Oreo Apr 20, 2019

meatandy, Apr 20, 2019 :
    No you can not.

19. OexS Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 28, 2019

OexS, Apr 28, 2019 :
    Still don't understand why oneplus doesn't have wireless charging. Dash charge is nice and fast, but actually I almost never this cable. Mostly I only charge when I go to sleep and it's always a problem to get the cable in without a problem in the phone at night. If I go to sleep I don't care about the charging speed. For example 7 hours till 100% is still OK for me.

20. likheth_kumar Cupcake Apr 29, 2019