Let's talk about Wireless Charging

1. NahbiCris
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 8, 2017

NahbiCris , Nov 8, 2017 :
    I don't like the wireless charging as you can see in this video is incredibly slow vs a wire charging (of course right now it doesn't support "fast" wireless charging)

also I prefer a phone made of aluminum than a glass phone just see videos of drop test of the iPhone 8, 8+, X, Samsung S8 Note8, glass is glass and I prefer something like aluminum or other metal.

so I'm agree with you Pete.

2. keithnyc
    Lollipop Moderator Nov 8, 2017

keithnyc , Nov 8, 2017 :
    I think OP is aware of that...all Pete is saying is that there are always tradeoffs and decisions that need to be made when producing and marketing each new device....I can't imagine any phone ever getting produced in a timely and cost effective manner if each and every technology was built into the latest phone. Decisions always need to be made on what to add and what not to add, and Pete is explaining that....

(BTW, just my opinion here..... I use Bluetooth whenever I can, and it's a lifesaver at the gym and on the subway where cord tangles are a hassle, but I sure appreciate still having a headphone jack when I'm on a twelve hour flight and my bluetooth headphones run out of power and I don't feel like carrying around a bluetooth charger)

KriplingeL, nyzproof333 and meatandy like this.
  3. Serbian Overlord
    KitKat Nov 8, 2017

Serbian Overlord , Nov 8, 2017 :
    Actually, no I didn't. You went back and glanced what threads I started but didn't take the time to see all my recent posts, which is understandable given the amount of time that would take but nevertheless, the answer was there. I went with neither the OnePlus 5T or Pixel 2 XL. Still using my OnePlus 3T, waiting on Essential Phone to come in the mail so I can test it out. With so much hate, it went down to $449 and at that price point, it is worth checking it out and paying $7.50 for return shipping if need be. Most flagships don't have wireless charging, but OnePlus' CEO is the only one that came out to tell us how it's a useless and pointless technology. Fine, you don't have it or want it in your next flagship but don't sit there telling us how it has no use.

4. lewismercer
    Froyo Nov 8, 2017

lewismercer , Nov 8, 2017 :
    Thats really interesting and i never know that. So if these other materials can conduct EMF then whats the harm in putting that metal coil to enable to wireless charging?

5. ahaasler
    Gingerbread Nov 8, 2017

ahaasler , Nov 8, 2017 :
    Then say that, not that Dash is faster, because that's not the reason.

6. claudiko2k
    Gingerbread Nov 8, 2017

claudiko2k , Nov 8, 2017 :
    @Pete Lau: I totally agree with not implementing wireless charging! I dont like glas on the back of the phone and the charging is really slow.

But I dont get why you don't implement water and dust resistance?! We're waiting for this feature for years now. Almost every other manufacturer can do it in 2017.... I would love to hear your statement in this matter ;-)

7. otto2
    Lollipop Nov 8, 2017

otto2 , Nov 8, 2017 :
    @Pete : You (Or the whole design staff ) forgot something: Why not developing a case available in the accessories store, enabling the Oneplus phones to get charged wireless,if users wantit? Like a bumper case, with an USB c terminal ,so user can choose if he charges the phone via wireless pad ( Slow) or via DASH Charge ( Fast) . maybe with a silicone plug closing the USB Terminal ,so the case will be water , shock and dust protected. ( If user wants this option ).
    The accessory line is rather bad in my opinion, just some silicon cases, but nothing making the phone really better. The charging pad would work with ALL oneplus phones ever made, some OPO, OPX and OP2 users could upgrade their phones easily.

8. OnePlusFan1919
    Gingerbread Nov 8, 2017

9. Sean_97
    Froyo Nov 8, 2017

Sean_97 , Nov 8, 2017 :
    Oh i know that but wait next year for apple zombies buying iphone XI without any ports :D

otto2 and lewismercer like this.
  10. Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Marshmallow Senior Moderator Nov 8, 2017

Maximus Decimus Meridius , Nov 8, 2017 :
    Yep. I was referring to regular charging (with usb-C cable) though.

And DashCharge indeed needs their own cable+charger to use DASHcharge. With any usb-outlet you'll be able to charge the conventional way.

Edit:
    *referring→ comparing

otto2 and meatandy like this.
  11. mr_priyanshu
    Jelly Bean Nov 8, 2017

12. Imrohit786
    Froyo Nov 8, 2017

Imrohit786 , Nov 8, 2017 :
    Yeah true Dash Charge is too much faster than wireless charging.Hope to see Dash+ charging in future one plus devices.

otto2 likes this.
  13. lewismercer
    Froyo Nov 8, 2017

14. Anand GK
    Cupcake Nov 8, 2017

Anand GK , Nov 8, 2017 :
    SWEET & SIMPLE :)

15. kmarci94
    Gingerbread Nov 8, 2017

kmarci94 , Nov 8, 2017 :
    I agree with that but. Wireless charging and wired charging aren't excludes each other. Wireless charging is a plus feature.

16. FlixbusLennart
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Nov 8, 2017

FlixbusLennart , Nov 8, 2017 :
    I think it is a mix of both. But seeing Petes Tweet about how OnePlus customers will love the 5T in times of parts getting more expensive, I think the lack of wireless charging is for the purpose of cost reduction.

17. lewismercer
    Froyo Nov 8, 2017

lewismercer , Nov 8, 2017 :
    agree 100% and would be very profitable for oneplus

otto2 likes this.
  18. Martin_VN
    Honeycomb Nov 8, 2017

19. F_Bimatshu_Pyakuryal_RZF
    Gingerbread Nov 8, 2017

20. Fabio.Mar
    Italian POC Assistant Head Moderator Nov 8, 2017

Fabio.Mar , Nov 8, 2017 :
    I think wireless charging can only become important when it is integrated into most office furniture, car dashboards, public transport, and in every public places so that every time I put my phone in these places, I will get a continuous charge.
    Today is an useless technology and it does not allow you to use your phone while charging, unless you also want to keep your pad in hand.

KriplingeL and inkaine like this.