Let's talk about Wireless Charging

1. micharu
    Gingerbread Nov 8, 2017

micharu , Nov 8, 2017 :
    i like metal phones rather than glass phones because sooner or later you will drop your phone and with metal there is higher chance of surviving it

but there are some premium plastics that could solve that problem all it takes is to to some experiment in your RnD labs

Loumier likes this.
  2. armmani2001
    KitKat Nov 8, 2017

armmani2001 , Nov 8, 2017 :
    I personally don't care much about wireless charging, but this time around I care about the next phone be water resistant.

otto2 and meatandy like this.
  3. OnePlusFan1919
    Gingerbread Nov 8, 2017

OnePlusFan1919 , Nov 8, 2017 :
    Windows phones have been doing this for years without glass backs. I have one that's leather and one that's plastic.
    If you want to make your OP wireless I suggest looking into this:
    http://nillkin.org/smartphones-acce...illkin-oneplus-5-a5000-a5003-a5005-magic-case

Loumier and youbi like this.
  4. jai patel
    Froyo Nov 8, 2017

5. youbi
    Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Nov 8, 2017

youbi , Nov 8, 2017 :
    You did ordered it, I remember that. :p:sweatsmile: But I see that you changed your mind, and to be honest I think you did a good thing, especially when you see all those horror stories about the LG Oled screen that the XL has. :dizzy:

But In the end you also went for a phone without standard wireless charging, so in the end my first post can still be used. :p That Essential phone looks nice, except for the camera and maybe too immature software. I hope they get those things fixed on the next phone.

@Pete just told is personal opinion, and he isn't surely forcing anyone on going "wired", everyone is free to decide with their wallet what suits them best. ;)

And also he talked about current tech available, and not about the principle of wireless charging that he really likes... Those are two completely different things. ;)

Actually that could be a nice thing, there are some solutions available on the market, but nothing beats an official one. :)

6. rykr01
    Cupcake Nov 8, 2017

rykr01 , Nov 8, 2017 :

Except the user experience of fumbilng for a cord that has fallen behind your nightstand is frustrating. Being able to sit my S8 upright on a stand when I go to bed where I can see the clock and notification icons is a good user experience and a slow charge is fine for overnight. Clue in...

7. Serbian Overlord
    KitKat Nov 8, 2017

Serbian Overlord , Nov 8, 2017 :
    I'm not saying you wrong, I'm just saying I didn't like how he wants us to believe that wireless charging is unnecessary and how it's still too new (5 years in smartphone world is like 50 in human life). I cancelled the order for the XL2 and never looked back after watching Erica Griffin's review. That screen is abysmal and Google has some nerve to charge $1000 for a phone like that.

KriplingeL, armmani2001 and sfomin like this.
  8. Pulkit_agarwal
    Froyo Nov 8, 2017

9. G_Abdülhamid_Ahmed_KCqL
    Froyo Nov 8, 2017

10. DJSubterrain
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 8, 2017

DJSubterrain , Nov 8, 2017 :
    Don't see why Pete's post seems to imply there is a choice between dash charging OR wireless charging, it's perfectly possible to have both....and "never settle"

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

DBB.GBA, averagejoe32 and nyzproof333 like this.
  11. srinivas0301

srinivas0301 , Nov 8, 2017 :
    Wire "less" charging ,OnePlus will revolutionize in making Dash wireless charging as game changer .

NEVER SETTLE !!!

DBB.GBA likes this.
  12. OnePlusFan1919
    Gingerbread Nov 8, 2017

Or my Roomba or dog attempting to eat that cord lol. I can't say that hasn't happened lol.

DBB.GBA, averagejoe32 and otto2 like this.
  13. OnePlusFan1919
    Gingerbread Nov 8, 2017

Just imagining.....if Nokia Lumia 1020, Microsoft Lumia 950XL and OP 5 had a baby. That would be a device to contend with.

14. jaivaghela

jaivaghela , Nov 8, 2017 :
    I agree 100% Dash charge is fantastic and very convenient, yes wireless charging is cool but I have never in any situation found myself wishing my phone had wireless charging.

15. champ.krishna
    Gingerbread Nov 8, 2017

champ.krishna , Nov 8, 2017 :
    Absolutely perfect decision and one major thing if wireless charging is implemented is that the back would be made of glass, which is not as good looking as metal nor as resistant to breakage. Pls don't go wireless charging nor glass back @petelau2007

16. exxxtasy
    Gingerbread Nov 8, 2017

exxxtasy , Nov 8, 2017 :
    - Had a Galaxy s8 with wireless charging and it was a mess to freak around to get the correct position on the pad.
    Its charged slow and after a night you look on the phone and it stuck on 60%, not funny to start a day with a half battery phone.

I love the dash charge technology BUT it would be better when dash charge were more user friendly, Dash adapter and cables are very expensive. And by the way, there is no Dash charge power banks.

I know the next point wouldnt be happen, BUT:
    - Maybe you should to think about to emblement the quick charge technology as a alternate method to dash charge because there are a lot of compatible adapter, cables and power banks out there. The SOC's you're using are compatible, why not using this technology as an alternative?

Please do not implement a QI Technology, improve the dash charge experience by lowering the price for adapter and/or cables or make it more compatible with quick charge.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017

17. Binny Heimann
    Donut Nov 8, 2017

Binny Heimann , Nov 8, 2017 :
    I like the idea of wireless charging. When I'm charging my phone overnight, I don't care that it's not charging that fast, it's going to be on charge for at least 4 hours. If I'm charging it wirelessly during the day then again, I don't need to charge all the way up to 100% quickly.
    If I need a Dash Charge, I'll use my Dash Charge cable and adaptor. I love the Dash Charge. It's helped so many times but I feel that OnePlus are starting dip behind the times with some current "standard" features that other manufacturers build in their phones like; wireless charging, water/dust protection.

I think if OnePlus were to add these features in (without adding much more onto the price) then they will have cornered the market and be able to rival or even overtake Samsung in their sales.

sfomin likes this.
  18. youbi
    Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Nov 8, 2017

youbi , Nov 8, 2017 :
    I think is more a sort of misunderstanding, because what he meant is basically that he feels that its still not good enough for using on his phones right now. And personally I also agree with it, because besides the car situation with Android auto, I don't really see my self using it daily. I would always go for the faster option if I really needed to charge my phone. :sweatsmile:

But I get that for some users it may make sense, and luckily there is plenty of options in the market now, and since Apple has joined the same standard we will surely see it grow more quickly now.

Lets wait to see what the future reserves for us, if they can get a dash charge speed alike wireless solution, I would probably want that also. :hearteyes: :p

Yeah, I bet by now Google regrets betting everything on LG Oled screens. :sweatsmile:

otto2 likes this.
  19. OnePlusFan1919
    Gingerbread Nov 8, 2017

This is false. It does not have to be glass. This phone is two years old and I have one. Do you see glass on the back? https://www.windowscentral.com/prep-lumia-950-950-xl-wireless-charging

otto2 likes this.
  20. Slash
    Eclair Nov 8, 2017

Slash , Nov 8, 2017 :
    @Pete Will you do a "Let's talk about mounting displays in the upright position instead of upside down" ? I'm eagerly waiting for a confirmation that 5T won't have its display mounted upside down so I can (pre-)order mine once it is available.

nyzproof333 and sfomin like this.