[Let's Talk] Analyzing OnePlus and its tagline.

1. Nick 59
    Marshmallow Jul 18, 2018

Stickied Post
    Nick 59 , Jul 18, 2018 :
    Couldn't agree more.
    We don't need a new slogan for each model do we? "The Red You Need" - meh.
    I like 'Never Settle' as it encapsulates a philosophy very neatly in two words. Each new model offers something new and demonstrates the philosophy in practice so it can also be used ad infinitum. (No need to pay marketing team to come up with a new slogan, got that covered thanks.)

As for @NeVeR_SeTTLe changing his name - I think he should be paid ludicrously generous royalties for his sterling efforts as a 'brand ambassador', unless we can come up with a really funny alternative. [e]1f609[/e]

BobbyV8_, NeVeR_SeTTLe and Dresa91 like this.
  2. NeVeR_SeTTLe
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jul 18, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe , Jul 18, 2018 :
    Great idea Nick but in these times every smartphone has a slogan but that doesn't mean every company should follow queue. :p I agree with you on this one, I think simply put - Never Settle encapsulates OnePlus devices as a whole.
    As for my nickname, I need to bring this to OnePlus's attention :p Royalties would do me good - but of course I would share them with all my friends here :) Please don't make me get another nickname :p I love the one I got ;)

iNtEnSePL, Nick 59 and Dresa91 like this.
  3. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Jul 18, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe likes this.
  4. NeVeR_SeTTLe

The1Lion likes this.
  5. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Jul 18, 2018

The1Lion , Jul 18, 2018 :
    No_Saddle sounds corny, how about NeVer_UnSeTTLe? or NeVer_NoSeTTLe?

meatandy and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  6. NeVeR_SeTTLe

I like NeVeR_SeTTLe better :D I'm sorry :p That should have been my question for [Let's Talk] Discussion - Come up with a new brand nickname for NeVeR_SeTTLe and why you think the nickname you created suits me :D :D

johneebee, The1Lion and meatandy like this.
  7. meatandy
    Oreo Jul 18, 2018

meatandy , Jul 18, 2018 :
    I think you might be able to add Warp charge to the list.

The1Lion and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  8. BobbyV8_
    The Showcase Reviewer Jul 18, 2018

BobbyV8_ , Jul 18, 2018 :
    Users may add it, i gave the slogans just to help them skip the search.

meatandy and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  9. DARTH 007
    KitKat Jul 18, 2018

DARTH 007 , Jul 18, 2018 :
    OP3 / 3T was An honest tagline.

the rest are used to fool the people into believing that it's a great product.

10. NeVeR_SeTTLe

What about the OnePlus One tagline? Flagship killer? You disagree with this one?

TibiTibi, Drewbikscube and Dresa91 like this.
  11. Drewbikscube
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Jul 18, 2018

Stickied Post
    Drewbikscube , Jul 18, 2018 :
    OnePlus as a company certainly Never Settles and I believe many have already covered that throughout this Let's Talk so far. Below outlines my personal experience with each OnePlus device throughout the years with taglines in mind !

Back in 2014 when OnePlus first announced the OnePlus One, it was definitely a Flagship Killer. It was an interesting time in the mobile market. Many companies were just hitting their prime like Apple and especially Samsung. OnePlus came way out of left field with this interesting device that was set to change the way we define a "flagship". I still remember joining the community and getting my first invite. I was incredibly excited. I swap devices often and I had just gotten through using and reviewing some of 2014's greatest flagships. However, when I received my OPO and began using it, the device remained my daily driver for the remainder of 2014. Not only was it better in some aspects in comparison to other "flagships" I had, it was a third of the cost. It was the flagship to beat!

The OnePlus X had an Exquisite Design at the time. However, it certainly didn't carry-on that "flagship killer" motto OnePlus initially launched with the OnePlus One. Unfortunately the OnePlus X didn't last very long in my pocket and I never thought twice about it.

July 2015 I remember I didn't have an Android phone capable of streaming the OnePlus VR Launch Event. I was able to install an android desktop emulator and I wrote a few additional scripts of my own so I could stream the event in VR. I literally completed this just seconds before the launch, fearing I was going to miss it. Luckily I was able to stream and experience the entire VR launch smoothly without any issues. I immediately ordered the OnePlus 2 and while it had it's ups and downs, I always came back to the price. For the price, I was still getting "flagship" specs. In my book, through my own subjective use, OnePlus did it again! They launched a true Flagship Killer like they did with the OPO back in 2014.

I skipped the OnePlus 3, knowing the 3T was imminent.

Throughout 2015, I had several devices as I swap often as mentioned. However, I easily had 3-4 OP2's. November of 2016, got a OnePlus 3T. Throughout my usage, the main point that always rained true was it charged incredibly fast! Like super fast! I certainly got a day's power in half an hour or less at times! I couldn't be happier. The 3T was easily one of my favorite OnePlus devices to date thinking back to this time period and all the devices I had. The OnePlus 3T I picked up a few times and had quite a few of them throughout swapping devices that year.

I skipped the OnePlus 5, knowing the 5T was imminent.

In 2017, I believe around November, I checked out a OnePlus 5T a friend had and I knew I wanted to order myself one. Unfortunately, I wasn't having much luck with the shipping times. In addition, I was traveling quite a bit for work. I decided to get one from a third party, eBay/Craigslist. Not quite sure which I used to get it. However, I had a connection I swapped with often and he just happened to go to a popup event hosted by OnePlus in New Jersey. He actually met MKBHD at this event and he had him sign his OnePlus 5T. Aside from purchasing the 5T at the event, he also got several OnePlus notebooks, shirts, cases, and a backpack. He sold it all to me at the exact same cost as the OnePlus 5T, just the device. I couldn't pass up all the OnePlus gear, accessories, and the 5T. In addition he shipped it overnight! I still use the backpack and notebooks daily. In addition, I still wear the shirts. The 5T was awesome. OnePlus's new view on who they were as a company, a brand, a community, and a product was inspiring and one that I believe was a culmination of years of innovative iterations and self discovery that was reflected through the 5T in every day use.

Now in the present of 2018, I ordered the OnePlus 6 in Silk White and I have been using it as my daily driver for a few weeks now. In comparison to several flagships I've had this year, the one thing OnePlus executed extremely well is performance! The OP6 is the speed we all need! The experience is buttery smooth and one of the best user experiences I've had with a flagship in quite some time. The only disappointment I had with the OnePlus 6 was ordering the silk white and the day my silk white arrived the Red you Need was announced :( I recently sold my OnePlus 6. As I mentioned, I swap often. I'm going with a Note 8 for a bit leading up to the launch of the Note 9 I'll order. However, when I return from my trip next week for work, I plan to order the red, because well I NEED IT!

OPO - Flagship Killer 2014
    OPX - Exquisite design
    OP2 - Flagship Killer 2016
    OP3 /3T - A day's power in half an hour
    OP5 - Dual Camera. Clearer Photos
    OP5T - A New View
    OP6 - The Speed You Need / The Red You Need

johneebee, Ruby G., BobbyV8_ and 2 others like this.
  12. marlox
    Honeycomb Jul 18, 2018

marlox , Jul 18, 2018 :
    I hope 6Ts slogan will be: More (battery/camera/charging speed) than you need. (4000mAh battery, triple camera, warp charge vooc v2)

13. V1531956085539
    Froyo Jul 19, 2018

Stickied Post
    V1531956085539 , Jul 19, 2018 :
    The taglines used by OnePlus are definetley marketing. But boy is it good marketing. "Never Settle" implies that you will be just settling for a mediocre product if you buy anything but a OnePlus phone. "The Speed You Need" advertises it's monstrous power and speed, with that Snapdragon 845 SoC and 6 or 8 gigabytes of RAM. "Shot On OnePlus" is used to brag that your pictures aren't just pictures, they're photos taken on a OnePlus 6, making them superior to all other pictures.

This is excellent marketing, and my OnePlus 6 meets every expectation given by the slogans used by BBK to advertise their amazing flagship.

14. G_Akarsh_smaran_Kumar_ls
    Froyo Jul 19, 2018

G_Akarsh_smaran_Kumar_ls , Jul 19, 2018 :
    hello one plus......
    the tag line is never settle.....
    the company is settling the update for 3 years.......[e]1f625[/e][e]1f625[/e][e]1f620[/e][e]1f620[/e]

15. BobbyV8_
    The Showcase Reviewer Jul 19, 2018

BobbyV8_ , Jul 19, 2018 :
    Haha nice one dude. They mean to say you shouldn't settle with a single device and keep upgrading.

Motto served. Slogan Justified. :p

16. G_Akarsh_smaran_Kumar_ls
    Froyo Jul 19, 2018

G_Akarsh_smaran_Kumar_ls , Jul 19, 2018 :
    come on dude...their...single device shouldn't settle...for a year.....it should be able to compete with the upcoming devices.....

17. BobbyV8_
    The Showcase Reviewer Jul 19, 2018

BobbyV8_ , Jul 19, 2018 :
    Single device isn't settling in an year. It's in the battle for 3 years at the least. My 3T which is over 1.5yrs now is still smooth as it was the first day. Everything works as is. I'm sure it'll run for another 1.5 without hiccups

panthimanshu likes this.
  18. Anand PM
    Honeycomb Jul 19, 2018

Stickied Post
    Anand PM , Jul 19, 2018 :
    The Tagline used for OnePlus 6 is neither tempting to buy the device nor shows any innovative feature on the device. It's just OnePlus 5 with a twisted design and UI ( Or we can say improved) kinda thing . I was expecting more. And Speed isn't the main target here.

Speed and what that was done on the software side to make it faster isn't so important to be highlighted, I think the new design was worth mentioning as a Slogan or Tagline.

19. SohamMallick
    Eclair Jul 19, 2018

SohamMallick , Jul 19, 2018 :
    want some more customisation in oxygen os in a stable rom. you guys have forgotten the 5T after launching 6. 5T needs more stable update with security patch and UI customisation.

20. jameswjackson257
    Cupcake Jul 19, 2018

Stickied Post
    jameswjackson257 , Jul 19, 2018 :
    To be honest, I think NeverSettle means don't settle to be stuck in a company's ecosystem. Many previous Apple users, including myself have felt stuck because we can only do certain things with their product. Many Android phones have a certain "stuck in a box" feeling to them as well, which is controlling. " Never Settle" to me means to follow a company who is not controlling and who listens to their customers. I have been "settling" since iPhone 4 and I'm never going back. As long as this company continues to be more 'free' as it were and different, I will continue to support it.

johneebee likes this.