Let's Talk: Bullets Wireless (BW1 vs BW2)

1. suhantm Honeycomb Jun 9, 2019

suhantm, Jun 9, 2019 :
    Bullets Wirless 2.jpg

Helloooo OnePlus Fam!

In this post i'll be talking about the Bullets Wireless 2 in regard to how they compare to the original Bullets Wireless. Because of @Tilen P 's killer presenting skills on stage I was almost convinced that they'd be an improvement over the first Bullets Wireless, but before a final verdict its necessary to use em. I've had them for about 2 weeks now, so I've had an ample amount of time to test them!

First of all, I'd like to thank @Trista W. for the 'What Music Genre Should OnePlus Belong To?' contest which was the reason I was able to get my hands on the Bullets Wireless 2. It was my first community win!

Now let's talk.

How are the Bullets Wireless 2 different from the original?

1. Sound Quality

The Bullets Wireless 2 have not 1, not 2, but 3 sound drivers!
    "one dynamic speaker for warm, full bass and two Knowles customized balanced armature drivers for exceptionally clear vocals and treble"

The additional drivers lead to a more balanced sound on the Bullets Wireless 2 when compared to the original, while this may be my personal preference, I believe others who value punchier bass would prefer the sound quality on the Bullets Wireless 1. I tested these on plenty of different genres, the first song I always play to test sound is NY90 just because of the complexity in the track (L/R fades, layers upon layers of sound, etc.)

Although advertised as being a massive upgrade in sound quality, I do not think there is a significant perceivable difference. They are still amazing sounding wireless earphones, but they aren't that much better from the original Bullets Wireless. The highs are extremely clear (they remind me of monitor headphones in this way), the mids are gentle and well balanced, and the lows are satisfactory (bass definitely needs more oompf).

2. Battery

Battery Life was already amazing on the original Bullets Wireless, OnePlus killed it this time by increasing the battery life from around 8 hours to a whopping 14 hours + the Bullets Wireless supposedly charge even faster now with support for Warp Charge (10 hr listening time with a 10 min charge). Battery Life is as advertised, they lasted me a little under 14 hours of use on mostly 100% volume.

Now for the reason why battery life is significantly better, increased battery capacity. Even though this wasn’t announced, the battery capacity of the Bullets Wireless has been increased. On a document I received in the Bullets Wireless 2 Package, the battery is stated at being 129 mAH in capacity (This comes from a credible source). I couldn’t find the capacity of the original Bullets Wireless but I am sure it is smaller as the Bullets Wireless 2’s battery modules (the thick part of the neckband) are both thicker and longer than the original Bullets Wireless. Photo below contains measurements.

Screenshot_20190609-211005__01.jpg

3. Connectivity

Thank the Bluetooth Gods, the Bullets Wireless 2 have Bluetooth 5.0!!! I was hoping the original ones had 5.0 since the tech already existed at that time but let’s just be thankful it’s here now. The inclusion of Bluetooth 5.0 is great for two major reasons: multi-device support and in general better connectivity.

It feels amazing to be able to transfer the connection from my phone to my laptop with a simple double-press on the neckband button. There is a latency of around 2 seconds, but it’s not really noticeable!

Connectivity is amazing on the new Bullets Wireless. There was an instance where I forgot my phone in my room, only to realize that after I was around 25 meters away from the house and the sound started to break.

Quick Pair got carried over from the original Bullets Wireless which makes connecting to any phone after the OnePlus 5 almost instant. I would even say it’s faster than AirPods connecting to an iPhone.

The only downside of 5.0 is being less power efficient, but that is not really a problem for users because of the increased battery capacity.

4. Design

This is a big change! They look much nicer in my opinion, one word to describe the change: smooth

Screenshot_20190609-211013__01__01.jpg

I have to commend OnePlus for choosing to include a splash of red in the ear tips this time which shows through the translucent grey domes. Splashes of red are nice OnePlus, let’s get a red battery in the next phone!

They are more comfortable to wear over long periods of time due to the subtraction of the ‘ear fins’. However, one great role the fins played is they allowed for greater sound isolation which gives you a better ‘feeling’ of whatever you are listening to.

One minor problem I faced due to design changes is getting the magnets to attach quickly, this is because the surface area of the flat end of the buds are around 40% smaller on the Bullets Wireless 2. See photo below

DSC_1030-2.jpg

Let's answer some other questions people may have!

What comes in the box?

I believe this photo is the best way to answer that for anyone who is curious

box (1).jpg

EDIT: They still come with the absolutely HORRIBLE Silicon Pouch, I use them to keep my Bullets Type-C because they actually fit unlike either of the Bullets Wireless. 99% of the time you have to re-insert the Bullets Wireless 1/2 into the pouch because the ear buds unclip and connect to a device! See suggestions for the pouch below

Are there any Problems/Issues with the Bullets Wireless 2?

Latency while Gaming: I’ve used both Bullets Wireless while playing PUBG, while there is latency on both, the latency on the Bullets Wireless 2 is significantly shorter but still noticeable. I would not recommend using either of the Bullets Wireless for gaming. I’d recommend the Bullets Type-C, they are exceptional!

Sound Isolation: I had trouble with at first, but later discovered it was just a matter of changing to bigger ear tips. Sound Isolation will be better/worse depending on how they fit for different people.

Water Resistance: This seems to be an issue for a few people, I’ve used the Bullets Wireless 2 while working out and have had no problems because of sweat.

Working Out: They will definitely either slip in your ear or fall out if you are doing anything that involves rapid movement (running, jogging, skipping rope, etc.). The only exception to this problem would be if they fit 100% perfectly in your ears!

Other than that, I haven’t really run into or heard about any other problems.

Would you recommend upgrading from the OG Bullets Wireless:

No. Although the Bullets Wireless 2 are amazing, I would not recommend upgrading if you have the Bullets Wireless 1 because a) they almost have identical features, b) they cost quite a bit more and c) sound quality is only marginally better.

I would however recommend them to anyone who is getting a wireless audio solution for the first time, they complement a variety of lifestyles and at 100$/6000INR they are still being sold at a pretty competitive price. If price is an issue for anyone, the OG Bullets Wireless are the way to go!

My suggestions for ‘Bullets Wireless 3’:

Change the build entirely, other than the neckband everything will eventually start to wear down. This was a problem for me when I had the original Bullets Wireless where the silicon on top of the remote started to separate and wires started to bulge in some places. This could be solved by using better materials/stronger adhesive

Include silicon sleeves in the box, this would essential be what the fins were but without the U shape part. This would allow for better sound isolation and fit. Two birds, one stone!

EDIT: The pouch needs to be improved, either make the pouch bigger or create a new, more intuitive storage solution for storing the Bullets Wireless.

STOCK UP, THE INDIAN COMMUNITY LOVE THEIR BULLETS WIRELESS (The BW2 are currently in stock here: https://www.oneplus.in/product/oneplus-bullets-wireless-2 go get them before stocks deplete again!)

THANK YOU if you made it this far! If you have any questions/feedback, please feel free to reply or just message me! I’ll do my best to answer most questions.

2. CosmicPaladin Jelly Bean Jun 9, 2019

CosmicPaladin, Jun 9, 2019 :
    Well written. Love the honest verdict in the end, especially on the upgrade part.

The BW2 keeps falling off my ears and literally unusable while jogging, where my BW1 has been serving me so well.

3. suhantm Honeycomb Jun 9, 2019

suhantm, Jun 9, 2019 :
    It'd be cool to have true wireless buds, I've had some in the past but I use the BW2 now because of the battery life. Most True Wireless buds last only 4-5 hrs max!

4. suhantm Honeycomb Jun 9, 2019

suhantm, Jun 9, 2019 :
    Thanks, glad you liked it!

It's the same for me, I keep using my BW1 for working out as well.

buntycubal, BeingIncog and YRJ like this.
  5. YRJ Lollipop Jun 9, 2019

YRJ, Jun 9, 2019 :
    Well done. Nice composition!
    Thanks for pointing out 129mAh I hope that's true, meanwhile @Trista W. Can confirm!

I have had the BW2 for long enough now, your findings are similar to what I have experienced so far. Nevertheless, my review is incoming too!

Once again, Congrats on the win. :D

6. suhantm Honeycomb Jun 9, 2019

suhantm, Jun 9, 2019 :
    Thanks @YRJ. Will be waiting for your thread, a little Birdy told me it's gonna have some amazing photos.

The battery capacity is 100% real and true, I have a document straight from the manufacturer that says so!

buntycubal and YRJ like this.
  7. shayantale Froyo Jun 10, 2019

shayantale, Jun 10, 2019 :
    really nice review

do a review between bullet v2 & type c
    with their specific eq on oneplus

8. YRJ Lollipop Jun 10, 2019

YRJ, Jun 10, 2019 :
    Aaargh, the bird.... not again. birds are turning to become leaksters. No wonder Twitter logo is a bird!
    I'm more than happy that it is true :D

buntycubal likes this.
  9. Hasekianx Donut Jun 10, 2019

Hasekianx, Jun 10, 2019 :
    I have an issue with them. once in the bag they unstick and connect to the phone. We should be able to turn them off with a button.

Brumhed and windmill81 like this.
  10. suhantm Honeycomb Jun 10, 2019

suhantm, Jun 10, 2019 :
    completely forgot about discussing how bad the pouch is will add an edit to the thread.

Brumhed, buntycubal and Hasekianx like this.
  11. AnonymousWP The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 10, 2019

AnonymousWP, Jun 10, 2019 :
    Nice review. What about the case it comes with? For the Bullets Wireless 2. I've seen it's so small that you actually need to violently push those things into that case... It's horrible.

buntycubal likes this.
  12. suhantm Honeycomb Jun 10, 2019

suhantm, Jun 10, 2019 :
    Edited to include feedback about the pouch, just Ctrl+F and type 'EDIT' to find the new text.

AnonymousWP likes this.
  13. AnonymousWP The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 10, 2019

Thanks!

Well, yikes... What else is a safe way to put them?

14. suhantm Honeycomb Jun 10, 2019

suhantm, Jun 10, 2019 :
    In a bag pocket!

AnonymousWP likes this.
  15. Hasekianx Donut Jun 10, 2019

Praty_28 likes this.
  16. suhantm Honeycomb Jun 10, 2019

suhantm, Jun 10, 2019 :
    that's certainly one way to go

17. AnonymousWP The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 10, 2019

Alright. What about the pocket of your jacket for example? Or are they too big for that?

18. dcmcc24 KitKat Jun 10, 2019

dcmcc24, Jun 10, 2019 :
    I don't understand why they kept the pouch. It was horrible on the originals and nothing changed. I have the bullets wireless 1 and 2, but haven't been able to test out the 2s yet.

suhantm likes this.
  19. suhantm Honeycomb Jun 11, 2019

suhantm, Jun 11, 2019 :
    any pocket bigger than the pouch would be fine!

AnonymousWP likes this.
  20. Venky61 Jelly Bean Jun 11, 2019

Venky61, Jun 11, 2019 :
    Hey.. Very Well Written review....
    What I am using is a Test Unit of BW2, so cannot comment on the sound quality and connectivity as they might differ with the retail versions.

Here are my points about BW2 in general,
    Bad
    1. The magnetic lock is not strong enough due to decreased surface area.
    2. I miss the ear wings. Without them and with the increased weight of the speaker (Thanks to the metal build), they can't stay inside the ear during workouts or physical activities. Right now am using the extra ear wings of BW1 and they stay put well now :)
    3. The pouch part mentioned here is absolutely right and I guess OnePlus is working on it looking at the recent survey regarding it. I would suggest a hard case with zipper.
    4. The design changes are focused more on the speaker part and none were put on the neckband and buttons. They are still the same with not of feedback and muted design.
    5. There should be a power off button to avoid connecting when not required. With decreased magnetic lock strength, this happens often. I store them in my drawer and they get separated due to a slight movement.

Good
    1. The microphone placement is better now. Moved from battery compartment to the Action Key.
    2. Great Battery life.
    3. Multi-Connect (Point) feature is amazing.
    Apart from these, the speaker design, connectivity and sound quality have been improved for sure but I cannot quantify the statement until I use a retail version.

Lastly, as @suhantm mentioned, if you have a BW1, then there's no point of upgrading.

Praty_28 likes this.