[Let's Talk] Community involvement, what would you do?

1. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jul 16, 2018

Dunnow , Jul 16, 2018 :

So, it is not secret that OnePlus is proud to say the products they build are build with and for the community. Yet, some of us agree a bit more or less with that statement.

OnePlus has been doing popup events, raffles, polls for many topics, open ears forums (which I was invited to one, yay!), The Lab Reviews...

I would like to know what would you guys, change or do regarding that involvement or approaches.

How would you like to be involved and how would you like for the company to involve itself with you. What kind of approaches do you think work and which ones not.
    What could be more transparent maybe or how would tackle enough information and feedback from the company

Feel free to add your point of view regarding all this "concept", I think this can be a place were nice ideas and people come together to discuss and expand on each others point of view.

So, let the debates begin!

[​IMG]

2. Dunnow

Dunnow , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Let me participate too in my own thread.

I would personally love to see a system where ourselves can choose who the next Lab Reviewers will be.
    I would put a minimum criteria to be met and then a voting system could be set somehow to allow the community select whoever they want to hear their opinion from.

For example, I would go with something similar to the following:

1. user has to be an active member of the community (defining active with, 1 year of constant participation)
    2. user has to not have already been part of The Lab Reviews before
    3. cannot vote for yourself
    From there the community basically picks a number of participants (provided OnePlus granted, lets say, 5 units to forum members).

I feel then that those users would then really be respected and appreciated by the community and best of all, people would not have the excuse to say "you were bought" or "ofc you will give positive feedback" like we seen every time OnePlus has done the lab reviews.

I would also, as @Cheetosdust said on a thread not long ago, try to force @Carl into the community, via getting a compromise from him to be more active here, or completely leave the forums. I do not feel like his posts are honest enough for me to believe, I would rather have @Ruby G. @David Y. @Crystal Z. or the others manage the community as they are doing an excepcional job out of it.

3. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2018

theshinybeast , Jul 16, 2018 :
    This a point I would disagree with. The only reason being that, like it or not, the community is a very biased thing. I, for example, would consider someone like @malidan a great candidate for a concept like this, knowledgeable and brutally honest.....ish:p. But among the community I imagine he's got a lot of "enemies" and I doubt he would be voted in.

SJBoss, rajeev5252, SoniaB and 11 others like this.
  4. Dunnow

Dunnow , Jul 16, 2018 :
    but then people would just vote other users that they want their opinion from. plus i would vote for @malidan and you and @Mr. BG

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018

SJBoss, pa5t1s, nyzproof333 and 6 others like this.
  5. Moin2200
    KitKat Jul 24, 2018

Moin2200 , Jul 24, 2018 :
    Exactly this.

This forum is filled with biased decisions about oneplus and it’s forum members, and likely the most well known people will be chosen for a while not giving a chance to some other members who are just as passionate but just overlooked.

Oneplus has been pretty good with picking on their own, but they could leave a slot or 2 open for the community and the rest will be chosen by the team the same way as it has been.

6. NeVeR_SeTTLe
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jul 24, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe , Jul 24, 2018 :
    I'll give this one a shot! :D

I have some ideas of my own to certain topics

1. OnePlus Direction - I think OnePlus should do twice a year surveys of this kind to just get an opinion from us on which areas OnePlus should focus on more, what they love/hate about the new device that gets released, what features to add and why...etc. That kind of topics should really be touched upon. Very little companies listen to their fans or users but just imagine if they would listen and act - what things would happen then :)

2. Popup Events - Organize contests - not only sell stuff. I believe it would attract a lot of people (new people too or that own other phones) just to make it fun.

3. [The Lab] - I had fun writing a review of the OnePlus 6 and the OnePlus Bullets Wireless and it was just a great experience for me to also get to know other Lab Reviewers. The system that a user gets picked is fine with me but we can improve it. Instead of a writing contest, I would think of other contests (still pondering) which would make it more engaging. Other thing I would do is extend the time of the reviews - say to two weeks. This would be plenty to just get a real feel of the device and other devices to review :) Those are two thoughts that are lingering right now.

7. Tobikage
    Nougat Jul 24, 2018

Tobikage , Jul 24, 2018 :
    No. of friends = Min no. of guaranteed votes

If OnePlus actually cared about real world reviews from people who are not fanboys , they'd identify people here on their own or through active members (Moderators excluded) who are honest and let them review a phone.

SJBoss, rajeev5252, pa5t1s and 4 others like this.
  8. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Jul 24, 2018

theshinybeast , Jul 24, 2018 :
    Utopia is such a wonderful place, eh? Sadly, over the last 50 years I , and probably you, fewer years though I'd imagine:p, have had Utopia well and truly kicked out of me.:rolleyes:
    We active but "activists" as well;)

SJBoss, pa5t1s, otto2 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Tobikage
    Nougat Jul 24, 2018

Tobikage , Jul 24, 2018 :
    Indeed we are. :cool:

SJBoss, pa5t1s, otto2 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jul 24, 2018

Dunnow , Jul 24, 2018 :
    but is that so bad? The number of friends == number of votes.

I mean, the user with "most friends" will be picked, therefore, a valuable member of the community would get the chance to get their word out.

People who has "the most" friends in here, will by the nature of it, be active members and valued by the community.
    Having a lot of people behind you, means having a lot of people taking your opinion into account.

@otto2 and I have discussed A LOT in this forums, we met in Hamburg, and he didn't know who I was until the last day. After that we are not only appreciating each other more in here, but actually talk often in private too.

I know he did appreciate my review for who I am and what I took care / interest on the device, and that is the kind of value I would like to see lab reviewers get, just as I did back on @dsmonteiro review of the 5t instead of the "you are a bought opinion"

So, allowing the one with "more friends" be part of the review squad, I would say, is more beneficial than having a random pick in a 140k pool. (Tho I understand not all picks were so random too)

dsmonteiro, SJBoss, pa5t1s and 2 others like this.
  11. otto2
    Lollipop Jul 25, 2018

otto2 , Jul 25, 2018 :
    I think, best way to get user s feedback are several events, not the pop up s where they sell their phones, but some more events like the hamburg camera event, the software open ears and- the events we got in germany ,where we just met and had somne fun without anyone who wants to sell us some stuff. ( Arcade event in cologne, the euro tour in cologne, where you could try the phones but not buy them- most people were just talking, the laser tag event in Düsselorf- Just having some fun ). The fun events were open for everyone, so potential new customers could get in contact with other users and Oneplus staff, too.
    I remember @script s idea for the OP6 Euro tour, maybe we ll get such an event later.

Word of mouth is still the cheapest and best advertising, as an owner of a motorbike shop i do not pay for advertising but there are still new customers showing up in my shop, telling me "X,Y,Z" have send them to me to get their bike repaired. All i have to do is giving them best possible quality of service. Customers are asking me, what i would prefer, most of them are following my recommendations. I just have to be honest,my customers are deserving it.

Regarding the voted users- No matter how a reviewer behaved in the past- once he was chosen ,nevertheless by the community or by Oneplus, there will always some user saying that he s getting paid by Oneplus.

Oneplus has to make profit, they have to sell more and more devices, they will have to follow the masses instead of the tech enthusiast minority. You can see it in some changes of OxygenOS,in the "Professional" behaviour of their CEO and other Staff members. Once upon a time @Carl promised some update for the OP2 , but unfortunately OP2 users are still waiting for this update. Now he has learned, not to promise, he s very carefully, he cannot be the guy from the neighbourhood, since every word he says will get interpreted by the community, the media and misinterpreted ,too. Fortunately we have some staff members like @David Y. @Duci ( German Community ) and many more, who re doing a really great job.

Short version:

Oneplus- Give us more informations , informations why decisions were made, give us honest answers, and give them fast. Political correctness is not a good way to communicate with a community, be honest, be tough, listen to us, talk with us- and the community will stay behind you .

dsmonteiro, Trista W., SJBoss and 7 others like this.
  12. Dresa91
    Android Q Jul 26, 2018

Dresa91 , Jul 26, 2018 :
    Hey @Dunnow, thanks for your thread:)
    Well, I think how OP deals with its way, when they say a device made for and with community, it is quite good. Wellok, there are things to improve. But I think the community is still the base of everything.
    And they are slowly implementing things we (the community) want, nowadays. It was a hard way, and this are features and functions we had wished for our OP3 and they are now implementing it for OP6. Well ok. Their learning behaviour is a progress - it is there, but it is still slow.
    My wish: They have to focus more on the community to make OnePlus a real community driven phone, this is the base and chance to beat competition.

SJBoss, pa5t1s, otto2 and 2 others like this.
  13. the_o2
    Marshmallow Jul 26, 2018

the_o2 , Jul 26, 2018 :
    I think community will help them in just software things, they don't even listen anything about hardware perspective, added notch, useless glass back, no ip ratings, soon they remove headphone jack(because it's cool Apple did that then why not we and now they have a great reason for that Wireless Bullets selling like hotcakes) and I don't know what camera hardware they want to stop doing the blind test :p:p
    I seen reviews of the phone and accessories here with full of praise, so it's a biased thing and you opposed to something you don't be chosen by voting for sure(problem of every community not only OP)..

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018

SJBoss, pa5t1s, otto2 and 2 others like this.
  14. otto2
    Lollipop Jul 26, 2018

otto2 , Jul 26, 2018 :
    Hardware decisions are hard to be driven by the community.
    Reason:

Developement is going really fast here, almost every 2-3 Months you ll find new Camera sensors, new battery/Charge technologies (Or a better version of older ones ) and many more. A lot of informations about this new products is confidential and may not be spread , so Oneplus is not allowed to show the community the new products and ask ,if they should implement it or which hardware should be used in the next Device. And they re not allowed to tell us the weak points of this Hardware,too. So we would not be able to decide correctly. We would choose just some Hardware due to the information we got from PR departments and in my opinion that s not a really good idea.

But i still prefer a more thicker phone with an optical telephoto / zoom lens, tough enough so i won t need a bumper case any more. ( Why a thin phone, when majority of users is putting it in a thick bumper case- Why???? )

Hopefully they will listen more and ask more about design ( size, Colour, material ) ,here Community can help a lot in my opinion.

buntycubal, SJBoss, the_o2 and 4 others like this.
  15. pa5t1s
    Marshmallow Jul 26, 2018

pa5t1s , Jul 26, 2018 :
    Although I'm not really interested in those [Let's Talk] threads flowering here and there, I will answer this one.
    A 'Community' is made of people sharing the same interests or hobbies and people who are ready to discuss/argument/share about them, in order to improve and learn.
    A 'Company' is made of people sharing the same interests in money and people who are not ready to discuss/argument their choices unless it gives them more money for fewer investments.
    As time is passing by, I feel unable to spot where we -the forum- actually are...
    "Products made with our Community". Umm, really? How 'deep' does that apply, in the process of Design, Conception, Development and finally Production?
    There are many people here, but most of them (99%?) are just 'customers', not 'members' of any 'community': they don't share, they don't discuss, they add no 'value' to the Community.
    So, we are left with maybe 1% of members who are really 'active' and 'contributing' more or less to some upward movement.
    In the past, the most active and contributing members were not the most thanked and rewarded ones. They left, obviously.
    Fortunately, this forum still have a lot of 'agitators' to make some waves and keep it alive. (You guys know who you are ;) )
    But how long will it last before they leave or stop sharing their experiences or point of views?
    More and more morons are killing the freedom of speech and freedom of opinions. They can't discuss, they shout. They can't argument, they blast fanboy slogans. @malidan is the perfect example of a great member trying to shake this forum with controversial (technical) subjects: look at his threads' posts: mostly fanboys or haters who can't bear any different point of views... You can always have another opinion, just expose it and give arguments: it doesn't kill but it makes you more clever.

So, 'what Would I do to Involve myself in this Community'? Actually, nothing more than I already did for years: answer to interesting questions/threads, provide links and advice from my own experience, avoid fanboys, report duplicated and pointless threads, chat with friends and /slap @Adam Krisko with a large trout :)

16. Fidda
    Gingerbread Jul 26, 2018

Fidda , Jul 26, 2018 :
    I feel like polls are the easiest and most accurate way to find what your community prefers.

17. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jul 26, 2018

Dunnow , Jul 26, 2018 :
    Even though an unpopular opinion, I think OnePlus should include/provide (and not increase the price) an IR emitter, a zoom / telefoto 100% control to the user lens, wireless charging (because it costs nothing really...) and / or bumper cases with a small sheet of metal, so we can use magnet car holders.

All of that is debatable and all, I know many people hate QiCharging but I still thing it's good enough to keep the battery at a decent level while navigating on the car. Anyway, this goes away from the topic at hand and would fit more in other lets talk too, so, I won't go down that rabbit hole right now :p

About the design and colors, that is a nice point to get people involved. As you might remember I told @Carl they should be presenting the plans for color options on launch, EVEN if they do not say release date, let people know which will come, so they can just wait for the device, I do not know how that affects marketing or sales, but certainly think would be positive for people to know for sure a red / gold version will come out barely 3 months after launch.

I'm glad this time the phone was presented with 3 variants and different memory / ram sizes, way more combinations than the past.

Definitely would be nice to see an iterative process to pick what kind of look / feel the phone has before release. Yet again, I do not even grasp how much that could affect competing products too.

I've been rooting for glass back phones for a while, since I've never broken a single phone in my life I know I can handle them, tho, I understand many people disagree with it too.

Anyway, that, together with non "come and buy something" activities like you mentioned before are real good approaches to things. I just wish they came more often to BCN then :p

buntycubal, johneebee, SJBoss and 5 others like this.
  18. the_o2
    Marshmallow Jul 26, 2018

the_o2 , Jul 26, 2018 :
    Agree with you..
    Same I also prefer, I am seeing lots of people are breaking OP6 glass back if they are not using any case.
    I don't know why OP is now behaving like OPPO and VIVO they are trying to make beautiful looking phone...
    So true, completely agree with you.

19. ASCHENTE_V
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 26, 2018

ASCHENTE_V , Jul 26, 2018 :
    Sorry, may be I misunderstand, but 1+ never listens, when it comes to hardware. NEVER. Nobody asked for the notch, glass back, that gives scratches but without wireless charging, useless double camera and worse sound from the speaker. I guess everybody wanted bigger battery, ip sertification, better camera algorithms and not the new sensor with old algorithms. And nobody asks for a thin smartphone when it comes to the battery size. Sorry once more, but don't say me, that they listen when it comes to hardware, lol

SJBoss likes this.
  20. otto2
    Lollipop Jul 26, 2018

otto2 , Jul 26, 2018 :

I agree with you ,showing design variants before releasing , so users who wants a red/ golden Phone will wait would be great. And the option of paying a prepayment, so users will get their devices first and do not need to wait for release ,do not need to fiddle around with overloaded shopping systems ,maybe in connection with a kind of gift, like a t shirt or some stuff you cannot buy in accessory store?

Oneplus would be able to calculate the initial amount of devices way better, the stock shortage of the BT headphones shows, how important this can be.

Next time they re coming near to my place you can take a flight and stay here for some time. We will visit the event together with other forum members like, maybe, @woSch , @script , @rarog . ( If possible )

buntycubal, johneebee, SJBoss and 4 others like this.