[Let's Talk] Do you think AI is great in a phone or are you tired of hearing about it?

1. brian.sedore
    Honeycomb Jul 16, 2018

brian.sedore , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Do you find that the new AI features are worth the time and effort companies are putting into them (AI ringtone, AI battery, etc.) or are you tired of hearing about AI and wish companies would spend their time elsewhere?

[Note from Ruby]
    Here's a long-form response I saw in the wild:

2. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Jul 16, 2018

Dresa91 , Jul 16, 2018 :
    what is a AI ringtone?

3. brian.sedore
    Honeycomb Jul 16, 2018

brian.sedore , Jul 16, 2018 :
    I think it's a feature that automatically adjusts the volume of ringtone. If the phone senses you're in a noisy place, it will raise the volume. If it notices it's quiet, it will decrease the volume. I'm pretty sure a few phones have that now.

4. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Jul 16, 2018

Dresa91 , Jul 16, 2018 :
    ah I see..ok. interesting idea

kaushaldevy, otto2, Mjo and 1 other person like this.
  5. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Jul 16, 2018

Baymax , Jul 16, 2018 :
    I honestly feel AI is sort of a gimmick. Since it just does things users can do manually

6. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2018

The1Lion , Jul 16, 2018 :
    I think now it seems a bit of a gimmick but with some effort and overtime it will evolve - then it'll take over the world! :eek::D

kaushaldevy, Ajdi, the_o2 and 8 others like this.
  7. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jul 17, 2018

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Jul 17, 2018 :
    Yes. AI is great upto the point where it is used for the benefit of the users and to the point where we are not overly reliant on it. I read somewhere that AI is being developed to limit the damage that AI can do if it were to go out of control.

It isn't a gimmick in any respect. It is simply a result of what the system learns about us. Same difference as between information and data. Machine Learning uses our data and processes it to a produce meaningful information, now widely called AI.

Often AI is used where a better substitute is available, and that is where the concept of gimmick comes in. For example, Auto brightness would now be called AI Brightness, just as there are calling AI ringtone.

In short, all these are technological improvements that I look forward to because they would benefit me as a user. Sure companies get to know more about us, even to the point that can make us uncomfortable, but that is a cost to pay. Without input, there cannot be output.

So definitely all these are welcome as long as there are sufficient checks and balances to prevent misuse.

8. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jul 17, 2018

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Jul 17, 2018 :
    Disagree Baymax.

It is incorrect logic since computers also do what we can do manually. It just makes it faster to the point which often is humanly impossible. There is no gimmick there.

9. brian.sedore
    Honeycomb Jul 18, 2018

brian.sedore , Jul 18, 2018 :
    These are good points, but some of the AI applications are just a bit too much for me. In the last Google IO, the whole thing was pretty much AI. Sure, some of the stuff was cool, but do we really need to have Google Assistant make phone calls for us? Can we not just control the sound of our volume? Alright, a little handy, but I wonder how many resources went into that.

During Google's keynote, I was hoping to hear some kind of progress on syncing SMS messages across devices. I think Apple has had this for a solid 6 years or so. It's nice to see they finally jumped off the Allo ship and made Messages for Web, but if they had spent some of the AI resources on something as practical as syncing SMS across devices, we would've got to this point much sooner. I guess they thought Adaptive/AI Brightness, Ringtone, etc. was the way to go.

10. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Jul 24, 2018

Dresa91 , Jul 24, 2018 :
    Think in general AI can help improving the possibilities of a smartphone. Like analyzing your behavior or something. A way to improve photos while taking them, or recognizing when your phone is idle to prevent "battery drain".
    But in general I have to say: I don't want to be taken over by algorithms. I want to take and have the control over my devices. You know what I mean @brian.sedore ?

cdnfarmer, johneebee, the_o2 and 2 others like this.
  11. Its.Leandroo
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jul 24, 2018

Its.Leandroo , Jul 24, 2018 :
    Most of the things you see being called AI, aren't even AI.

Like the ringtone volume based on surroundings, it's just a block of code and gets a environment volume from the mic.

AI = Artificial Intelligence

Means they decide by themselves and with multiple inputs and situations, and they are able to "learn".

Things like batteries, ringtone volumes, screen temperature etc aren't AI, as they can't learn, they are just a block of code that gets executed.

Otherwise OnePlus can call their Reading Mode AI too. Changes temperature based on the environment of the user.

nyzproof333, the_o2 and Infernal_Byte like this.
  12. fahad2mail
    Froyo Jul 24, 2018

fahad2mail , Jul 24, 2018 :
    ya and now asus Zenfone 5z has ai battery.
    and then next we will see
    ai contact: will automatically merge similar contact without even asking you. and delete unnecessary contact.
    ai gallary: will delete photos looks similar or less used. wont even bother to ask you before deleting.
    ai message: its already happening but in samsung phone. couple of tech website already posted article about samsung phone send messages automatically and also your picture to unknown person. its Samsung's own message app.
    i can go on but you got the idea.
    i am sick of hearing ai this, ai that.
    i have honor view 10.
    which has kirin 970 ai chip.
    and ai camera.
    even after this my oneplus 6 takes way better picture.
    till now i cant find any good usage of ai besides scene detection in camera and many people also dont like that.
    like mkbhd said he likes natural photo, not ai photo.
    i am not against ai, just tired of hearing about ai.
    thanks.

Venkatwaran94 likes this.
  13. nope1nope
    Honeycomb Jul 24, 2018

nope1nope , Jul 24, 2018 :
    I kind of like this whole AI thing but the things that are being implemented in the name AI bugs me out. AI camera crank up the exposure even if there is a small plant in background, and ISO in night, it kind of mess up the image. It is nice to have a assist on getting a good image but sometimes it just mess up whole thing. It'll evolve over the time untill then it's just a tool which I refrain to use.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018

14. J1530965415150
    Donut Jul 24, 2018

J1530965415150 , Jul 24, 2018 :
    i think AI features are interesting and i dont see any problems with it. No to compare with other companies who already implemented ai functionality in their flagship phones, butAI somehow make users life much easier in a sense that it will lessen some things that needs to be done manually. its up to the user whether they will use the ai function or not. i mean if theres no ai on your phone nothing to loose. If you will not pay for it then why not. if it will make our lives easier then go for it. such feature will help our SMARTPHONE to be a real smartphone in a sense that it will help us improve our experience and usage on most of our activity while using the phone. Just one thing to be worried about using AI is our privacy . right now nothing to be worry about but when time comes when AI becomes a dominant user on our phone then thats the time that it will be a big issue for all of us.

im just sayin'.... thanks. peace.

Linxx likes this.
  15. slackero
    Cupcake Jul 24, 2018

slackero , Jul 24, 2018 :
    AI is often just a buzzword – more marketing than useful.
    Do not waste development resources right now. Fix the bugs and get the overall system better and more stable, especially the camera, the launcher etc.

J1530965415150 likes this.
  16. jaivaghela
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 24, 2018

jaivaghela , Jul 24, 2018 :
    If it can actually be applied to enhance the user experience noticeably then it's good, I've seen the term being thrown around with new phone manufacturers but I haven't seen it changing anything significantly. Seems more like a marketing gimmick at the moment. I do hope it can be applied to be a more useful tool soon enough.

johneebee and J1530965415150 like this.
  17. KeepTransisting
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jul 24, 2018

KeepTransisting , Jul 24, 2018 :
    Personally, I think focus should be on battery technology and enhancements rather than AI, but that's just me.

18. DogeAlpha
    Honeycomb Jul 24, 2018

DogeAlpha , Jul 24, 2018 :
    AI, just like other stuff like a secondary or teritary camera, is unnecessary.
    Samsung proved it the past that they don't really need a second camera or AI for better photos.
    It's still a nice gimmick but we will start seeing it more and more often.
    AI might be the next big thing but... We don't need it right now.

19. Mondkalb
    Honeycomb Jul 24, 2018

Mondkalb , Jul 24, 2018 :
    I think I won't use AI features even if they'd be there.
    Most of those features sound nice and promising, but in fact they don't work like they're advertised.
    I don't buy new smartphones often, when decide to buy a new one, I always inform myself for quite a long time.
    I did so a couple of months ago.. And I decided to buy my very first OnePlus smartphone. Not a Samsung, not a Huawei, not a Sony anymore.
    Why? Top (main) hardware, reasonable price, clean and stable OS, developer-friendly manufactor.
    I decided against all the fancy AI features and bulky software 'out of the box' (Samsung...) which are some kind of nice, but only for the first couple of weeks after buying.

OnePlus, please, keep going your own way. Do what separates you from the 'mainstream', give us a functional yet clean OOS, keep listening to us (your customers) regarding Bugfixes and reasonable feature enhancements and stay who you are.

Never settle doesn't mean to jump on the train of all the others. Don't get me wrong, an 'AI ringtone' is a nice idea. But it's not AI, at best it's kind of 'intelligent' or reactive and a useful enhancement. If most users want such things, fine, but don't advertise it as AI then.
    Maybe an official open poll thread would be nice, where users can vote for desired features and discuss them.

20. DogeAlpha
    Honeycomb Jul 24, 2018

DogeAlpha , Jul 24, 2018 :
    This.
    This is what oneplus should be all about

Mondkalb likes this.