[Let's Talk] Do you think AI is great in a phone or are you tired of hearing about it?

1. MikhailTheItalian
    Honeycomb Jul 24, 2018

MikhailTheItalian , Jul 24, 2018 :
    They ought to spend their time elsewhere focusing on camera quality and overall build quality of the phones as we can see that processors are reaching a level at which innovations year on year are becoming less prevalent.

2. Ahkam
    Froyo Jul 24, 2018

Ahkam , Jul 24, 2018 :
    AI is good in camera,day to day tasks management specially as well
    For an example Google is Assistant is doing a really good job,we cannot expect the same reliability from OnePlus as Google but if it can give a uniquness that which makes the life more easier thats cool.
    AI calls
    AI to do List
    AI scheduling
    AI camera and manual mode both
    AI display color variety and changing the dispaly based on what user does gaming, entertainment or daily tasks.
    AI sound like automatic adjustments according to noise
    Standalone functions

Thank you

3. BobbyV8_
    The Showcase Reviewer Jul 24, 2018

BobbyV8_ , Jul 24, 2018 :
    Relying on AI is like Dropping an Assault Rifle and use Water gun.

What does AI really mean? It is just a small code written by human brain with the purpose of automating basic deeds. Even if it is being developed and pose as a strong alternative to ease your day, this fancy thing is making us dumb.

There were days when our memory power was way more than what we could unleash today. This isn't fun, the tech companies working behind might be able to mint money behind a fancy veil named AI and several crazy stuff. End of the day it all boils down to how much more you could achieve using tech.

Take a look at our basic computing equipment where we have no AI, we achieve a lot more than what we could manually, in less time and that's what I call useful tech.

On the other hand, what AI do you currently have in your mobile!? The google now aka OK Google, why can't you just do what it does using a widget on the home screen? Keep talking to a bot with crazy name and creep the hell out of people next to you?

The person sitting next to you in the bus could be working hard all day long and might like to take a nap before getting back to his lil daughter. You the crazy AI using guy start asking google to show a good restaurant for your date night and keep disturbing him. Result? The little girl who's waiting to play with dad will just get a pat on the shoulder and her dad goes to sleep early. Your AI just ruined a day in a lovely little girl's childhood.

Why do you need AI to make a call! Swift through the contacts, you might remember a friend you spoke to long-back and call him / her to re-live your past. Did you realise what AI has been doing to you?

Oh that, so you're speaking about AI that makes your pics look beautiful! I agree, yes, you need that. You're so ugly at heart that you want to 'beautify' your natural beauty with some mechanical algorithms! Camera is to capture moments, the moments which give you happiness, those silly cute moments help you live that day one more time in your life and you want to tamper it with a bot called AI!

AI is making you lazy, it's hiding your talents by forcing your brain to rest. AI is eating up your memories, relations, happiness. AI is a myth that you think exists but the reality is it's just another software but a little more powerful to ruin lives.

AI is useful. I agree it makes certain things simple but I don't really need simple things to be even more simple. AI is useful to the tech companies to make some money. Being a finance person, I appreciate the efforts R&D team did to increase the revenues.

Revenues are no big deal when what it destroys is human kind. Mr. Hawking is not a person we can ignore, His theory about AI is alarming. I really wish the AI remains as dumb as it is today and happiness is spread with the tech we already have.

P.S: I strongly conflict with @Sridhar Ananthanarayanan's views. Not everything that can automate few tasks can be called AI. They're selling you cheap stuff at a higher price by tagging it "AI"

4. GaryCoates
    Froyo Jul 24, 2018

GaryCoates , Jul 24, 2018 :
    I think that's the point though isn't it... I work for an AI company, and I do t think it's an unknown that it does something which can be manually done, but the benefit is that with AI, you don't have to.

5. FranciscoCM
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 24, 2018

6. Baptiste de Azevedo
    Eclair Jul 24, 2018

Baptiste de Azevedo , Jul 24, 2018 :
    That's not AI, a simple algorithm can do that

7. G_david_hartono_S_iAtI
    Froyo Jul 24, 2018

G_david_hartono_S_iAtI , Jul 24, 2018 :
    to be honest i really want a charging technology that know our sleeping habits... so like if we sleep for 8 hours,the charging current will slow down but if we wake up, the battery is already full. thats the real use of AI IMO.for now AI is still useless..

FlixbusLennart likes this.
  8. derLenno
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jul 24, 2018

derLenno , Jul 24, 2018 :
    For me, AI is a buzzword.
    Sure, your phone recognising that the camera is looking at a plant, animal or pair of boobs is cool (have they actually implemented the third mode yet?). But why on earth should this be more than a marketing trickery... If the phone can recognise stuff like that - nice. Just optimise the image according to the findings. No need to tell me about it every single day.
    To be honest, the worst part about AI is not that it's mostly marketing right now. I'm studying a marketing-oriented course at the moment, so it even catches me looking at what can be achieved with just slapping two capital letters in the face of the consumer. Is it really AI when the phone sees that you are constantly increasing your brightness when it is set to adaptive - and the phone then increases the brightness itself from some point on? Or is it really just an algorithm that can be marketed as cool on an I/O?
    The worst part about AI marketing is the questions in the forums here, and in other places. The questions like "Why does your phone not have AI?". Because these questions could really just be "Why does your OEM not jump the buzzword bandwagon?".
    For me to call something AI is when a very, very complex construct, like the Google Assistant and its services, suddenly work seamlessly. For example, when I ask the Assistant for directions. It knows, based on where I am, based on time and day, and more, whether I want to go by bus or by car. I've fed it enough data to be personalised. I get traffic and weather info which is ridiculously accurate in terms of when the phone shows me time and weather. Sure, in the end it's just an algorithm, which looks for the time I usually ask Google for the weather. But it just works seamlessly, without slapping I am AI!!! in my face. It's just there. For me to consider something AI, I need to so a long-run, deep connection of data between a bunch of different services. Elsewise, it's just a very good algorithm which happens to be marketable as something very cool.

Venky61, brian.sedore, Baymax and 2 others like this.
  9. sblantipodi
    Honeycomb Jul 24, 2018

sblantipodi , Jul 24, 2018 :
    I feel that AI is just a marketing gimmick.
    Personally I don't like having an automatic post process based on "scenes recognition".

10. O1526951052760
    Donut Jul 24, 2018

11. gmanasseh
    Eclair Jul 24, 2018

gmanasseh , Jul 24, 2018 :
    The idea of a machine that I own watching everything I do creeps me out to no end, and AI doesn't do anything unique; everything it does is limited to what the phone is capable of doing with or without it. I'd really rather adjust volume myself and such than have software I use all the time trying to do things for me by surveiling me.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018

12. TheMystic
    Lollipop Jul 24, 2018

TheMystic , Jul 24, 2018 :
    AI comes with its own risks, and it is true it has the potential to dilute our thinking and memory abilities. I have mentioned this elsewhere. I don't think we disagree here.

it is also true that companies are misusing this term for things which were previously called smart features. this is what makes AI looks like a gimmick. but it isn't so in reality.

what is AI? it is basically the ability of the system to get work done for you without you having to intervene, or at the very least with minimal interaction/ supervision.

the system 'learns' about what you like based on your app usage, search history, etc. and presents you with information based on your interests, creates reminders for you, alerts you in case of conflicts, reduces the need for you to search for information by presenting all the relevant information, and of course automates a lot of processes for you based on your schedule, location, etc.

this is the next stage of computing that we are accustomed to today. here inputs are done by the system based on our emails, calendar, location, search history, etc to generate useful and meaningful results that make life easier. the idea is to minimise the amount of interaction required from our end.

since you are a finance person, you are well aware of various ERP systems, trading softwares, etc that present you with information useful for decision making. AI is the next stage where all this information, which currently requires manual input by data operators from a limited database, will be pulled from a much larger database and processed to give you a more specific and accurate result that will aid the decision making process.

if you still disagree, you are against the development of next stage of technological evolution.

Venkatwaran94 likes this.
  13. jlasensiofi
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Jul 24, 2018

jlasensiofi , Jul 24, 2018 :
    Personally I think it is, or will end, being essential. It is a technological advance of the first line.

14. dewynn
    Eclair Jul 24, 2018

dewynn , Jul 24, 2018 :
    Don't really care much for it. Google Duplex is neat but it's not something that an average consumer would quickly adopt - if at all.

15. the_o2
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Jul 24, 2018

the_o2 , Jul 24, 2018 :
    Right now the AI features is just like a OnePlus phone, you are very excited about it and when you get it than you feel OK THAT'S IT :D
    But soon you get addict of it ;)
    AI is half baked cake right now full of gimmicks :cool:

Venky61 likes this.
  16. G_arun_muthu_fnjf
    Eclair Jul 24, 2018

G_arun_muthu_fnjf , Jul 24, 2018 :
    the AI stability present in p20 pro is much useful to take long exposure and night mode pics. soo at least implement this on OnePlus 6.

17. BobbyV8_
    The Showcase Reviewer Jul 24, 2018

BobbyV8_ , Jul 24, 2018 :
    That's what they're selling under the AI tag. But reality is it's just computing operations.

What are you going to gain if some algorithm is keeping track of your history and deeds!

Again, they're just selling your data man. You would know it already if you followed recent google case in EU. The revenues they earn from the so called AI and integrated apps.

This is basically called integration and not AI. The so called AI is in it's early stages and what you said isn't AI really. We already have systems to make integration smooth and automate tasks.

If that's what you mean, that can be done with macros in excel and don't need fancy names under AI brand for that.

gmanasseh likes this.
  18. TheMystic
    Lollipop Jul 24, 2018

TheMystic , Jul 24, 2018 :
    When you go to a doctor, you are supposed to provide him with all the information he needs so he can prescribe the right treatment and medications. You can't talk about privacy issues there if you want yourself treated. Same logic here. If you don't provide the system with the information it needs to learn about you, you can't get any relevant information in return.

AI is about automation, and much more. The automation happens with minimal manual inputs, because the system has already learnt many things about you.

Integration? AI will make this integration of various systems and databases seamless so you don't have to do everything. It will know what information to look for, where to look for, how to process it, etc. Basically what we are presently doing with our brains using human intelligence. When the system does that automatically, it is called Artificial Intelligence.

In other words, AI is much more than automation, integration, and any other terms you come up with. You are referring to the parts. AI is the sum of all those parts.

johneebee and Dresa91 like this.
  19. rajeshsubudhi04
    Donut Jul 24, 2018

20. Deactivated User
    Jul 24, 2018

johneebee and Venkatwaran94 like this.