[Let's Talk] Do you think AI is great in a phone or are you tired of hearing about it?

1. isty
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 25, 2018

buntycubal likes this.
  2. MarkLR
    Jelly Bean Jul 25, 2018

MarkLR , Jul 25, 2018 :
    These AI while incredibly dumb and useless are still much smarter and productive than the average smartphone users. I always disable these things (such as the Google assistant) because I still have enough working brain cells to use my phone and manage my daily activities by myself and I would prefer my phone lasting a bit longer thanks to all the battery saved by turning off these features. The more you rely on this garbage the dumber and more controlled you get. It won't be long before a guy walks in a bar with a phone in his hand, the bartender asks "what should I get you", and the phone responds "I need a charge, thank you" while the guy holding the phone drools and stares blankly into the void.

3. F_張東尼_DtSX
    Honeycomb Jul 25, 2018

F_張東尼_DtSX , Jul 25, 2018 :
    AI is not a gimmick. The stuff the manufacturers implemented and call it AI is a gimmick. o_O

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018

4. אייל קוץ
    Cupcake Jul 25, 2018

5. אייל קוץ
    Cupcake Jul 25, 2018

אייל קוץ , Jul 25, 2018 :
    I think it is only a matter of how you use it. some people use it as buzzword and some do great things with it.

Do your own math on how much can it improve our phones versus how much time and effort does it take.

I think there is great potential in these technologies.

6. damnitjoshua
    Gingerbread Jul 25, 2018

damnitjoshua , Jul 25, 2018 :
    Should go with the Google Pixel approach to AI, and not the Huawei approach to it. AI that is not in your face and actually helps in daily tasks.

7. anupritaisno1
    KitKat Jul 25, 2018

anupritaisno1 , Jul 25, 2018 :
    That's not AI
    That's an if-statement

8. nyzproof333
    KitKat Jul 25, 2018

nyzproof333 , Jul 25, 2018 :
    A gimmick or the early stages of outstanding possibilities? I choose the latter.

9. Sparkling Lifeline
    Cupcake Jul 25, 2018

10. Thikalevis
    Gingerbread Jul 25, 2018

11. sangtian5243
    Eclair Jul 25, 2018

sangtian5243 , Jul 25, 2018 :
    I want an AI that know my face orientation, so if I'm laying down using my phone the phone will not switch to landscape.
    and if OnePlus camera have ai function will be great such as text photo that will increase shutter speed, portrait recognition that can switch to portrait mode when the camera see a person

12. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Jul 25, 2018

Baymax , Jul 25, 2018 :
    So therefore "AI" is a gimmick?

buntycubal likes this.
  13. Baymax

Baymax , Jul 25, 2018 :
    A gimmick which just shows how reliant users are getting on technology. To do things which can be done manually.

Really shows how lazy the world has become.

buntycubal likes this.
  14. nyzproof333
    KitKat Jul 25, 2018

nyzproof333 , Jul 25, 2018 :
    Said the same people when these here mobile phones came to market. Who would want to walk and talk????

AI’s next big move should be into the eductation sector i would anticipate. Endless possibilities.

15. Baymax

Baymax , Jul 25, 2018 :
    Though now it is giving technology its own mind. Doing things autonomously in the same amount of time that a user would do things. When it becomes instantaneous, then that will be much less of a gimmick.

Say what you want. To me, AI is a gimmick and used too much for marketing purposes.

It may be something in the future, but right now it is just a gimmicky term.

buntycubal likes this.
  16. Shadow0929
    Jelly Bean Jul 25, 2018

Shadow0929 , Jul 25, 2018 :
    probably a good idea to have it on a phone but right now it's not the best time to use it since it's to early in development, there is much to be improved

Baymax likes this.
  17. johneebee
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jul 26, 2018

johneebee , Jul 26, 2018 :
    Is AI technology great in a phone?

TLDR; just skip to the last paragraph

Well to answer this question it's important to first describe what we're talking about. I see many people saying other people are wrong with their interpretation of what artificial intelligence (AI) actually is, but usually both are correct since their are many (official) definitions of AI at this very moment.

Stanford researcher John McCarthy coined the term in 1956 during what is now called The Dartmouth Conference, where the core mission of the AI field was defined. McCarthy is said to have picked the name artificial intelligence for its neutrality; to avoid highlighting one of the tracks being pursued at the time for the field of “thinking machines” that included cybernetics, automata theory and complex information processing.

The English Oxford Living Dictionary gives this definition: “The theory and development of computer systems able to perform tasks normally requiring human intelligence, such as visual perception, speech recognition, decision-making, and translation between languages.”

Merriam-Webster defines artificial intelligence this way: "The capability of a machine to imitate intelligent human behavior."
    Encyclopedia Britannica states, “artificial intelligence (AI), the ability of a digital computer or computer-controlled robot to perform tasks commonly associated with intelligent beings.” And what are Intelligent beings? "those that can adapt to changing circumstances."

We see here that if person A thinks the Oxford dictionary's definition is the correct one then by his definition, y=mx+b is an artificial intelligence bot that can tell you where a line is going. And as frustrating as that sounds to me, he is correct. And this is usually referred to a "weak AI"; it aims at completing simple tasks but doesn't try to resemble (human)intelligence.
    One of the prime examples of this is IBM’s Deep Blue, a system that was a master chess player. And there are already many forms of weak AI on our phone like automatic brightness control, and sadly this is what companies usually talk about when they talk about AI,

What I am very excited about, but many are terrified of (like Elon musk and Stephen Hawking.. but what do they know) is "strong AI" which is aimed at genuinely simulating (human) reasoning and problem solving. This would be a system that would be learning, creative and adapt to become better at it's tasks.

All this being said I hate the term AI being used as a sales pitch using "simple" if this then that-code termed as AI..I'd rather them specifically call it "weak AI" ..but I know that isn't as great for creating interest. Nevertheless I enjoy them giving me the option to make certain tasks automated and run smoother. In my personal ideal world I'd love my phone to know what I want and when I want it and make me lose allot less time by doing so without needing my interaction. And I do understand in order to achieve this my phone will need ALLOT of information about me to do that, so in case you are afraid of what could be done with that information than there should be an option to turn it off!

Ruby G. likes this.
  18. brian.sedore
    Honeycomb Jul 27, 2018

brian.sedore , Jul 27, 2018 :
    Sorry. Should have been quotes around "AI Ringtone". In a sense, it is learning to turn the volume up and down depending on the volume around you. I realize it can be a simple if statement that simply has the camera/sensor check the light around you and adjust the brightness accordingly. Regardless, I didn't come up with the name.

It sounds like readers are more angered by the things coined as AI rather than the processes that can be automated.

19. brian.sedore
    Honeycomb Jul 28, 2018

brian.sedore , Jul 28, 2018 :
    I agree it's neat too, but I don't think I would use it. At what point do you trust it so blindly? I think I remember that the person who asked the assistant to make a phonecall/appointment for you wouldn't actually hear the assistant talking. If so, then do you just trust that it worked? You can check your calendar to see if it worked, but then you are up to two tasks: asking the assistant to do something for you and then checking on it. If it didn't make the correct appointment because of it didn't interpret what you said correctly, then you're up to at least 3 things. In the beginning, you could have just called to make a hair appointment yourself.

Anyway, I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't want to waste their time with mundane things like making their appointments who will use this. I'm just not down with automating everything. Driver-less cars are a crazy thing too that I probably will never trust.

20. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Aug 1, 2018

luigimario , Aug 1, 2018 :
    Ummm...
    [​IMG]

Jokes aside, I think it's a cool feature if a bit gimmicky. I haven't experienced AI phones yet but My impression is that it isn't very advanced yet. I feel like with time and input they could become really useful features. Just looking at the rate at which Google Home has progressed, AI could become standard in phones. Google Home was pretty much last to the smart speaker game but is now in the lead in terms of usability.

I was reading some of the comments here on AI and it sounds good. The AI ringtone feature would be convenient so you don't have to keep adjusting the volume based on your location, it would do it for you. I know there is AI for photos, which makes them look a lot better. I would consider the phone assistant to be a form of AI too. And once it is advanced enough, it would make things a lot easier.

Possible future uses of AI in phones could include medical applications. It could help people with medical conditions like to track vital stats such as heart rate or breathing. It could be used to detect a cardiac event or to help alert someone if dementia/Alzheimer's patients wander off. I've heard about cancer detection by dogs based on smell, so maybe a similar detector could be designed and used for early diagnosis.

While the beneficial applications are endless, you always have to consider the destructive applications as well. I'm sure the military is already using AI for various purposes. Facial recognition tech can search a person out in a city of people based on video feeds, and combining that with digital trails people leave like credit card transactions, AI could be used to search people out (like in Person of Interest).

I'm sure those advanced scenarios are still years away, but it's interesting to see the tech develop and see where it will go.

Ruby G. and johneebee like this.