[Let's Talk] Do you think AI is great in a phone or are you tired of hearing about it?

1. elanglois
    Lollipop Aug 1, 2018

elanglois , Aug 1, 2018 :
    On SMS, I've been doing that for years with the Pulse app. I can text from any of my phones or my PC. I even get notifications on my PC with my text messages - great when a web site wants to verify my phone number and my phone is in the other room.

As for AI making calls. With Google Assistant on your phone, it's pointless. But the Assistant runs on more than your phone. On a Google Home device, its quite nice, like a hands free system in your house!

2. brian.sedore
    Honeycomb Aug 3, 2018

brian.sedore , Aug 3, 2018 :
    I know that there have been apps for awhile that allow you to text from different devices through Android and Windows and sync everything to one centralized account, but the fact that it hasn't been a Google account is a bit mind-boggling. Instead of having a native app on Android, you have to use Pulse, PushBullet, or another of a number of apps that you had to give permission for them to see your SMS. But hey, our news feed is even powered by AI apparently.

3. elanglois
    Lollipop Aug 3, 2018

elanglois , Aug 3, 2018 :
    when it comes to messaging, Google has always had its head up its ***

4. cdnfarmer
    Photography Expert Aug 5, 2018

cdnfarmer , Aug 5, 2018 :
    Artificial intelligence or AI is often used as a catch word. However, how should we define AI? Should AI reflect everything that was involved in creating the computer AlphaZero who only had the basic rules of the game and taught itself to master chess? Or should AI reflect “If and Then” algorithms programmed into phones to facilitate tasks? Or both? Currently, Artificial Intelligence is a “sexy” term that companies are using to sell their products.

There are lots of time and money spent on developing features that will ‘help a user take better pictures’ or save battery or change brightness of the screen or even make calls for a person. These features could be helpful for some people. However, I would rather manually change the settings then settle for what an algorithm provides for me. Personally, having the device make calls for me is not something I would not enjoy. There is something to be said about the “soft parts” of a conversation that is likely missed with an automated voice system. Imagine if we no longer had to talk with each other because our computers did it for us? How would our society look like then?

Now, if there were useful apps or process that would help save lives, improve communications, and foster human interactions, then that would be interesting. What about spending resources in enhancing batteries and hardware technologies?