[Let's Talk] Does technology improve the quality of life?

1. Daisy K.
    North America Marketing Staff Member Jul 31, 2018

Daisy K. , Jul 31, 2018 :
    I find that I realize how much of an impact technology makes on my quality of life with the small things more than the giant things. I'm not so much fully aware of how insane it is that I have the whole world at my finger tips 24/7 all the time. However, I hopped out of the car very quickly to take some cash out of the ATM while my husband drove around the block. I didn't bring my phone with me because it seemed like a simple task but I suddenly realized we hadn't agreed on any specific location, he didn't know how long id be. It seems so stupid that even this was a situation I would have relied on technology to solve and how my phone was not necessarily designed to solve this tiny, insignificant inconvenience but its become such a natural tool of life that has led me to this conclusion: Technology may not have specifically improved the quality of life, but taking it away would drastically degrade the quality of life now that we are used to it.

2. elanglois
    Lollipop Jul 31, 2018

elanglois , Jul 31, 2018 :
    So, you have become so dependant on your phone that you can't perform basic tasks and solve simple problems without it. That's basically what all the studies are saying. The brain is a muscle and we've used our phone like Lazy-Boy recliners with our feet up, getting weak!

Is the phone a tool? Or it your master, and you it's slave? Do you answer notifications the moment they pop up?

Personally, I aggressively greenify my phone and also turn on some features that turn off mobile data when my screen has been off for a short while. When my phone is out and I'm ready to use it, I get my messages on time. When it's in my pocket, I don't get bothered until I take my phone out of my pocket ... except for text messages and phone calls, and those are controlled via scheduled DND.

buntycubal likes this.
  3. elanglois
    Lollipop Jul 31, 2018

buntycubal likes this.
  4. Daisy K.

I wouldn't say that my phone has rendered me incapable of performing simple tasks, I'm more saying that because I rely heavily on a phone, when I don't have it, I'm made exponentially more aware of how even small tasks are made easier with it, like basic coordination to meet up. Especially when plans change last minute. I think about what it would be like if that had happened 20 years ago. You'd wait around, assuming that the person either died or hated you, instead of just running an hour behind.

buntycubal likes this.
  5. elanglois
    Lollipop Jul 31, 2018

Your nature is to let the phone solve it.

20 years ago, your nature would have been to think ahead and say, "we'll meet by the water fountain in an hour".

Because of the phone, you don't even bother to plan ahead. Your reliance on it has turned off that part of your brain. People can't spell because the phone corrects it, they can't add because the calculator does it, and they have no sense of direction because they rely on GPS. You've added "can't think ahead to schedule a rendezvous because you are used to being able to just call."

Right? [e]1f603[/e]

BTW, I couldn't spell rendezvous ... my phone had to correct it!

buntycubal and 1sri like this.
  6. Daisy K.

Thats true! I will say this, having technology does make you appreciate the effort of "offline" things more. Some examples: My husband and I collect vinyl records, we wrote each other letters when we had our internships in different states last summer, I printed out the pictures from our wedding to put into a photo album. Things like that have become far more special and treasured to me.

buntycubal and cdnfarmer like this.
  7. elanglois
    Lollipop Jul 31, 2018

Oh! Don't get me started about vinyl! Controlled studies showed people listening to vinyl (real sin waves) on tubes (even order harmonics) were more prone to be calm and centered while digital (square waves and odd harmonics) on solid state (more odd harmonics) were more distraught and angry.

buntycubal likes this.
  8. 1sri
    Froyo Aug 1, 2018

1sri , Aug 1, 2018 :
    Tech is like quick sand. The more I try to escape, the more I come up with reasons to use it. The more I use it, the more I come up with reasons to use it more.

We are born in a technological world. In earlier centuries we had concentrated in ourselves, hence all the drama, Shakespeare, plays, running around & physical activities. Today we have diluted ourselves and concentrated on tech. Hence all the Msg, photos, phones, laptop, cars.

Today we are talking more than we used to with others using Msg, clicking more pics than before, hence creating moments. Making more videos than before. Creating platforms. For a tech YouTuber, everything needed is present at the personal studio/home. Today's need is no need to interact with outside world. We are interacting too much mentally and too less physically.

Maybe the only solution for inner peace is solitude which was in abundance a century ago. Today even if I try to be solitary in a different continent away from my people, I am always connected 24/7. This has led to over exposure. Maybe we aren't built to last a whole day. But tech is built to run robustly for decades. We subconsciously try to Mimic technology. We can't compete with tech. We just can't. We are hopelessly hilariously less powered to serve such large no of concurrent connections simultaneously. We are under fatigue and mental drag!

The only possible solution to our problem is to let them notifications stack up, let those missed calls pile up. I'll read them all 50 at once, maybe once an hour. Instead of replying every 5 secs. But when we text every hour, we miss out on so much that has happened.! So tech has outsmarted us, outpowered us and overtaken us mortal human beings.

Let's learn to let go and accept that I need time to myself instead of talking with everyone else and creating a public image of myself. But have I created a stable image for myself from myself to myself!?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018

9. 1sri
    Froyo Aug 1, 2018

1sri , Aug 1, 2018 :
    Of the people in this group how many water their plants? Or have watered in your past?

Of the people in this group how many use WhatsApp, fb, insta?

buntycubal likes this.
  10. elanglois
    Lollipop Aug 1, 2018

elanglois , Aug 1, 2018 :
    I water my ferret. Does that count?

I don't use WhatsApp, nor Facebook or Instagram!

buntycubal likes this.
  11. 1sri
    Froyo Aug 1, 2018

1sri , Aug 1, 2018 :
    And only use 1+ community app.?
    We all kno everyone use them.

We love tech for what it does. But irony we don't love nature for what it is anymore.

buntycubal and cdnfarmer like this.
  12. 1sri
    Froyo Aug 1, 2018

1sri , Aug 1, 2018 :
    So the answer to ur question:

Technology improves the quality of life.
    Technology reduces the quality of life

buntycubal likes this.
  13. elanglois
    Lollipop Aug 1, 2018

elanglois , Aug 1, 2018 :
    And the XDA app, Octodroid for github, I have Telegram but I never use it, Slack ... but only for my roommates and I. Let's see.... I browse G+ groups and YouTube. Not a big fan of social media. In fact, I use Waze rather than Google Maps since Waze is designed for drivers rather than as a social media platform. I don't want to rate places and upload pictures when I use a GPS, but knowing where the cops are sure is nice!

buntycubal and 1sri like this.
  14. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Aug 2, 2018

luigimario , Aug 2, 2018 :
    I think that in general, technology does improve the quality of life. I'm not even talking about modern tech like computers or cars or whatever. Even older improvements in technology made a huge difference. I think that the industrial revolution could be considered the first tech boom. I wouldn't consider simple machines to be technology so I'm not going much farther back than the industrial revolution.

The invention of the steam engine, boiler, locomotion, electricity, and countless other tools and machines changed the world for the better. People could spend less time on back breaking labour and focus on other work or on family. Even up to the mid-1900s when convenience products and appliances showed up. Ovens and refrigerators made cooking and storing food so much easier and safer. The television and radio made sharing news with the world so much faster and easier.

The further advancement of technology, like its beginnings, focused on making things easier for people and I think that's where the downward spiral begins. While tech makes our lives easier, safer, more convenient, and more productive, I think it has also made us lazier, stupider, anti-social, and dependent on that technology. People need to make a conscious effort to exercise and socialize now when it was just commonplace before.

People are more impatient and take things for granted than before. Instant gratification has ruined people, and I'm not innocent of that either.

That being said and more to the point, technology has definitely improved the quality of life. So many conveniences, time-saving devices, life-saving devices and medicines, entertainment sources, and devices to increase our understanding of the universe. This is one of the best times to be alive. And while I think I would prefer a simpler life-style like back in the 50s, I love all the tech available to me and how it makes my life easier.

I think the solution to these two ends of the argument is to find a balance of some sort. Use the tech to help you out, but be conscious of how much time it take away from other things. Make a conscious effort to unplug and enjoy life outside of your screen.

buntycubal, cdnfarmer and Ruby G. like this.
  15. elanglois
    Lollipop Aug 4, 2018

16. Gurudutt Adke
    Eclair May 26, 2019

Gurudutt Adke , May 26, 2019 :
    Obviously as the humans are becoming more lazy AF and machines are learning we are going into our comfort zone for the new luxuries of new technology. So basically i wanna Help them to become more aware not only humans but machines too! I wanna be a part of the Review Crew who gets the device first to review it!.

elanglois likes this.
  17. D.K.Shukla
    Eclair Sep 17, 2019

D.K.Shukla , Sep 17, 2019 :
    Yeah.. definitely.. technology makes our life more easier, reliable and comfortable to live a complete happy life just by putting little bit efforts.
    Without technology, we can't live actually and can't survive. Technology raised the standard of living in our community, which helps to develop ourselves, our personality and which automatically effects our India's growth directly.

18. V1570992234228
    Cupcake Oct 13, 2019 at 8:08 PM