[Let's Talk] How do you customize your device for perfect form and function?

1. theshinybeast Lollipop Apr 24, 2018

theshinybeast, Apr 24, 2018 :
    Wrong place
    Wrong time
    Silly question
    Needless moaning
    You haven't really got anything right with this post have you?

2. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Apr 24, 2018

Dunnow, Apr 24, 2018 :
    Well for me it's an iterative process regarding the desktop setup and background but I tend to just have one main screen with the basic functionalities I use every day.

Regarding the other options of the phone it depends on what ROM I am using, how and what it provides me, but I try to at least get some defaults always on whatever ROM I run on a device.

I'll list most of my "basics" in here:

Here's my usual desktop setup
    • Sport tracking apps (Mi Fit, Google fit & Strava)
    • Camera (Stock or Google cam)
    • Chrome
    • Contacts and Phone
    • Whatsapp
    • Google Photos
    • Instagram
    • Music Widget to automatically randomize
    • Clock Widget (gives quick access to alarms, timer and chrono)

Screen OFF Gestures / Buttons
    • Double tap to wake
    • Double tap on status bar to lock
    • ^ up: Volume up.
    • V down: Volume down.
    • < > right/left: Next song, restart song

• Double click on power button: Camera On
    • Long press power button: Flashlight on. (Turns off after 1 minute by per custom settings)
    • Long press volume up: Next song
    • Long press volume down: previous /restart song

No pocket mode. (Allows for screen input even when the phone is covered)
    In here I have some gestures that some of you might find odd, but it all has a reason :p
    This allows me to get the phone in a bracelet for when I go out for a run and control media easily without actually having to mingle for the buttons.

This setup allows for any multimedia control, either be from inside a bracelet or my pocket.
    Prevents gestures that would drain the battery like: Turning camera on and never locking the phone again, or forgetting that you turned on the flash while dropping your phone in the pocket, which sadly, happened to me more than once, and only gets noticed when the phone gets really warm. Worst that could happen now, is 1 minute of led, which is nothing really.

Allows for quick interactions without buttons (double taps to wake or sleep) together with the fingerprint to unlock.
    I cannot see any other usage for the possible configurations. This is purely functional to me and my needs.

Fingerprint gestures

If the fingerprint reader has gestures, you can bet I have enabled them.
    Preferably if it is camera shooter and scroll navigation.

Notification Led Light

You can be sure I'm not buying a phone that has no RGB led light for the notifications.
    I have everything set up through LightFlow app so I get customized notifications (be sound, vibration pattern and color) per app and down to even to per contact.

I could tell you exactly what notifications I have pending to see, without even turning on the screen, down to even who has talked to me through whatsapp (within a logical number of people assigned colors)

Display settings
    • Fingerprint unlock
    • 50% automatic brightness
    • 15s of screen on
    • Lock after 5 seconds screen is off (this allows for quick double tap and not having to validate identity)
    • Face recognition
    • Trusted devices (BT from the car)
    Regarding the display and text size... here I might go a bit different from others. Since I find big UI childish and immature from an OS like android I would either change the DPI configuration through ADB or now that Android allows it, natively.
    So...
    • Small font text size
    • Small overall UI
    This provides at least 25% more screen real state. While keeping everything at a size i can comfortably read at any distance I would be using my phone.

Sound & Haptic feedback

pffft... except alarms in my phone better be not any sound. It's a matter of respect mostly. I hate hearing notifications all the time around me, so, I try not to be the one generating them (it does vibrate tho).
    • Ringtone set to escalate volume at each ring
    • No haptic feedback on anything but navigation buttons

Developer settings

So, this is a nice trick some of you might not now.
    We live in an era when the phone is SO fast, that you really do not need to wait for an app to "load". You don't really see a blank screen anymore, so, why waste 1.5 seconds of animations when you could cut that in half, still experience a smooth transition and have the content there in 0.75 seconds?

Unlock developer options, search for the animation / transition / window scale factor, and change it from 1x to .75x or even .5x

Try those, play with them, until you find a smooth and fast UI experience that you like. Congrats, you just saved half a second on each app launch. Cool huh?

Other interesting stuff
    • Turn on app config backups
    • Turn on Whatsapp to Google drive backups
    • USE GOOGLE PHOTOS and backup EVERYTHING (I cannot stress this enough)
    • Set up 4 fingers, 2 of each hand, so you can unlock at any time, particularly useful when cooking, since you might be using one to follow a recipe just when the phone decided to shut the screen off.

I might add more while I keep revisiting the thread but I'm not really into the whole "UI customization" I run mostly any launcher that allows me to put an icon pack and I use the Pixel and Pixel v2 Icon pack that is currently free on the Play store. Past that. I'm more about all the little details and performance rather than the looks of it. I think stock is the way is ment to be used and I respect that look and feel the developers intended to provide me.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018

3. Kattis Lollipop Apr 24, 2018

Kattis, Apr 24, 2018 :
    change the wall paper. but mostly keep it as it comes and i like it naked :rolleyes::rolleyes:

[​IMG]

4. H1524634903829 Cupcake Apr 25, 2018

the_reckoner likes this.
  5. Eduardo G. Gingerbread Apr 25, 2018

Eduardo G., Apr 25, 2018 :
    Hello, everyone.

I personally like to optimize my mobile phone to extend the maximum battery life and to do this I have a personal guide with general recommendations but I have a more detailed one. At this moment I am going to detail my general recommendations after making the purchase or installation from scratch for a mobile phone.

Applications to be replaced:
    Facebook by: Simple Social Pro
    Messenger by: Messenger Lite
    Twitter by: Flamingo for Twitter
    Chrome by: Brave Browser
    Galería by: FOTO Gallery
    Gmail by: K-9 Mail
    LinkedIn by: LinkedIn Lite
    YouTube by: NewPipe o YouTube Vanced (con logueo de Gmail)
    Instagram by: <through your web browser or use Simple Social Pro>
    Gboard by: Swiftkey ( I like it better myself :-D )
    --------
    Note: With Simple Social Pro you can access the following networks: Facebook, Facebook messages, Instagram, Twitter and Google+, so you can centralize everything in a single application with less use of space and battery savings.
    --------
    Note 2: The following article identifies the applications that give the most battery and performance problems to your mobile phone. Check and try to find something better: >Here<

I want my desk to suit my taste:
    It is advisable to change the application launcher for one of the following to have a better performance you can make the desktop to your liking:

If I don't use it... what do I want it for?
    In this article you can see applications that you can remove, disable or replace because your battery and data rate are dead:
    Applications to be disabled that I do not use or replace:
    Android Pay
    Chrome
    Duo
    Gmail
    Google
    Google+
    Google Play Music
    Google Play Movies
    Google Play Books
    Google Play Games
    Google One Time Init
    TalkBack
    YouTube
    Hangouts
    Gboard (only if you want to replace it with another one)​

Application configuration:
    Which applications we want not to have notifications of, because for that we have to enter in each and every one of the applications in its Settings/Settings section and review those sections where we put notifications and turn off those that we do not want, in this way we eliminate running services that consume RAM.

What application is my battery running low?
    With the GSam Battery Monitor application you can check, among many other things, which applications consume the most battery power, so you can determine the consumption problem or look for other applications as an alternative.

What to do at night?
    If we can because we do not expect any calls it is advisable to put it in airplane mode, this makes your battery consume between 1 or 2% otherwise the normal thing is that your battery is consumed between 5 and 8%, more would be some application that is constantly working incorrectly, you will have to solve it finding the problem.

Improved application speed and performance:
    You must access the Play Store and become a beta tester of the WebView application. This is a system application and is the Chrome engine that uses most of the applications including the Amazon shopping application.

AMOLED screens:
    If you want to save battery power, you have to change to a black theme, as a theme on your phone, as a wallpaper, in each application and on your keyboard.
    With this application you can download a wallpaper of your choice: AMOLED Wallpapers

Network coverage:
    Normally, your network is configured as 4G, so if your coverage is not very good in your area, try switching to 3G, this will save you battery power.

Gestures on the phone:
    For example in OnePlus the OxygenOS layer has the ability to apply gestures for actions, turn them all off to save battery power.

Switching off the phone:
    At least every 2 weeks of mobile phone use, if you have not turned it off, turn it off and on again.

For your safety:
    Under Developer options, always enable "usb debugging":
    With this, if you ever don't get your mobile phone started, you can access your phone's memory and save things.

Saving of data:
    If you want to save data and even battery life you need an ad blocker, my recommendation:

I hope it helps. Sorry about my English.

Thank you

6. Pakshaldharod Cupcake Apr 27, 2018

Pakshaldharod, Apr 27, 2018 :
    I purchased a brand new phone almost 2 months ago.....suddenly without any damage or water contact to my phone it has started troubling lately....it reboot randomly with any app or anytime and that is annoying.....I will never recommend OnePlus to anyone as i read a lot of complaints with the same issue since OnePlus 3t so they are still selling defective handsets which is pathetic.....I am going to file a complaints against them in consumer forum but please don't buy OnePlus product

7. Eduardo G. Gingerbread Apr 27, 2018

Eduardo G., Apr 27, 2018 :
    What's the matter? Don't you know how to use your common sense and put your complaint through the right channel? Incomprehensible how people plant the egg and leave.

Ruby G. likes this.
  8. sedore Apr 30, 2018

sedore, Apr 30, 2018 :

9. brian.sedore Gingerbread Apr 30, 2018

brian.sedore, Apr 30, 2018 :
    Let’s break it down into two sections:

Hardware:
    I haven’t really customized the phone itself. I’ve been looking into dbrand skins since they have had pretty good reviews and the amount of looks are endless. They remind me of the custom backs OnePlus used to offer for their phones.

Anyway, what I have, as far as the phone itself goes, is a case and the OnePlus bullet headphones. I have the red silicone case for it. Love it, but I’m glad I also opted for the Karbon bumper case. The texture of the silicone one has a nice, non-slip surface that is nice to hold. The lack of full, outer coverage is a bit of a downer. Which brings me to the Karbon case. Great protection, nice texture on the back, slick look. Also, the bullet headphones are just a nice way to support the company and represent the brand.

Software:
    As far as software goes, I can’t say that I go to the extra as most people. I have the stock launcher that came with the phone and it is not rooted. I’m not brave enough to root any phone and this will be no exception.

Although there are some nice built-in apps provided by OnePlus, I have to say that I am a big fan of the Google software. I have installed all of the basic Google apps that are the counterparts to what OnePlus provided: Contacts, Messages, Gallery, Keep, etc. The one thing I have kept so far is the Weather widget since it is so easy to to just slap on the background and get handy, up-to-date weather information. Another nice addition is the new Google Tasks app. If we could get a decent camera app, then I’d be extremely happy.

I have not sullied this device with any social media apps (unless you count Google+). The social media scene these days is a turn off and it seems like they want too many permissions. This phone is strictly a phone, messaging device, and access to the internet. No games, social media, duplicate apps (one browser only, one music player, etc.), and no bloatware.

The backgrounds provided with this phone have kept me away from unnecessary background apps, too. Icons are tempting since the ones provided aren’t fantastic, but not bad. Again, it’s more about not downloading anything extra though.

Also provided, but a nice way to customize your OnePlus device, is the ability to change the accent colour and light/dark theme. To save battery life, I had on the dark theme for awhile with a dark accent colour. Opted to change it up to the light theme with green accent. Hoping for that red accent option in the future.

Mainly a stock device with OnePlus and Google software only. No need for anything else.

10. Black Forest Ham The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Apr 30, 2018

Black Forest Ham, Apr 30, 2018 :
    From being woken up to my alarm in the morning to doing some reading before bed, my OnePlus 5T plays a huge part throughout my day-to-day life. Naturally, I'd want it looking and working exactly the way I want. Here's here's some of my tweaks, both hardware and software, to tailor my 5T experience completely to my preference.

Starting with hardware, there isn't really anything lacking on the 5T, the design team did a great job keeping the profile thin and light, and the positioning of the rear fingerprint sensor is just perfection. However, the phone itself is quite slippery with its anodized aluminium finish, which I'm sure is a common complaint, and so a case is a necessity. With red being my favorite colour, the OnePlus Silicone case in red was perfect for me. The grip of it ensured it wouldn't fall out of any pockets, and the perfect thickness protected both the camera bump and the screen when laid flat. However, I have still found the need to get a tiny glass camera lens protector, mostly for peace of mind. Of course, I use a protector for my screen as well, and the stock OnePlus tempered glass one has served me incredibly well, fitting without cutting off any screen space or leaving anything uncovered.

Now, onto the real space for customization; the software in the phone is where I've made most of my changes. Firstly, I had rooted my 5T, though still retaining the stock rom. I used root mainly to install xposed framework and gravitybox, opening the door to a whole world of little tweaks. OnePlus had made the entire process incredibly simple, while giving the assurance of warranty coverage, despite unlocking the bootloader. A lot of other manufacturers could learn from this aspect of the community-driven company.

Because the device is so blazing fast with a battery life to match, I'll admit I didn't find the need to pile on the optimizations and kernel modifications to squeeze every drop of performance and power out of what is essentially a whole carton of juice, compared to the measly juiceboxes that my past phones were.

My biggest modification in terms of usability by far though, would have to be one that didn't even require root; fingerprint gestures. Now in stock Oxygen OS, there's the option to swipe down and up on the rear fingerprint sensor to control the notification drawer. This was already a game-changer for me, but I was hooked on using the fingerprint sensor as much as possible, it just felt so natural and intuitive. There are a couple of apps out there that allow the user to map swipes in cardinal directions on the fingerprint sensor to various functions, and it's completely revamped the way I interact with my 5T. I bound a swipe down to toggle the notification drawer, and a swipe up to "go home." But that wasn't all, I then bound a swipe left to "go back" and a swipe right to open recents, rounding off the whole control set on an android phone.

Combined with the navigation gesures now available in native OOS for when I can't use the fingerprint sensor, I enjoy a fluid navbar-free experience using my 5T. Sure, it seems a bit like a party trick, and definitely gets people asking about it, but the novelty of it certainly hasn't worn off on me yet.

Ultimately, the 5T is not the best phone on all regards. However, I chose OnePlus for its ease of modifications as well as its extensive community support, and that's what I feel really completes the experience and really goes a long way in making a phone an extension of oneself.

Thanks again to @Ruby G. for arranging all of this community outreach!

11. elanglois Lollipop May 2, 2018

elanglois, May 2, 2018 :
    Gotta do a follow up! Now on OOS/OpenBeta running blu spark kernel and most of the same goodies. New boot logo, BRAND new Poweramp, wallpaper, icon theme, etc. On OOS fonts are via root, not substratum ... Typeface recommended.
    serial-experiments-lain-01.jpeg Screenshot_20180502-073227.jpg Screenshot_20180502-073240.jpg Screenshot_20180502-073251.jpg

Mr. Vandelay likes this.
  12. elanglois Lollipop May 5, 2018

13. derFeef Donut May 8, 2018

derFeef, May 8, 2018 :
    This is a nice thread, thanks to all for the recommendations and all that!
    I am a new Android user (5T being my phone of choice!) and so I am a little overwhelmed with options. I already use Nova launcher because the hidden fodlers are a godsend, next thing I want to do is make the button and status bar transparent because they are always the wrong color (white) and stick out too much.

Mr. Vandelay and Ruby G. like this.
  14. elanglois Lollipop May 10, 2018

15. outpin Honeycomb Jun 5, 2018

outpin, Jun 5, 2018 :
    The first thing I do when I make a clean flash or buy a new phone is to install action launcher and set all the animations to 0.5.

16. Alex_Novak Honeycomb Jun 22, 2018

17. G_Imtiyaz_Ahmed_Mpyp Gingerbread Jul 24, 2018

Abin_123 likes this.
  18. Furkan Özcan Eclair Aug 10, 2018

Furkan Özcan, Aug 10, 2018 :
    I don't like to have a Case for my Mobile phone because it makes it look bulky. I like a slim & big phone in my hand because i like the feel. Skins also dont protect from droppings so they are kinda useless (well idc about looks i like it simple). I like to use a flush colour or Pictures of German Rappers as my Background. As Safety I use Patterns because they are easy to remember and easy & fast to use. I generally have just 1 Page and there is all my social media. If I play some games then i create a seperate page and my games rest there.

Ruby G. likes this.
  19. toastytoast1234 Lollipop Aug 10, 2018

toastytoast1234, Aug 10, 2018 :
    Wait, German Rappers are a thing?

Must. Not. Youtube.

Nick 59 likes this.
  20. Furkan Özcan Eclair Aug 10, 2018

Furkan Özcan, Aug 10, 2018 :
    check out: ufo361 vvs feat Quavo
    Veysel feat. summercem- Santorini

Ruby G. likes this.