[Let's talk] How does ongoing technology affect your life?

1. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Jul 16, 2018

Dresa91 , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Thanks for your opinion :)

Mjo and Akhshay Srinivasan like this.
  2. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Jul 16, 2018 :
    :D

Mjo, Akhshay Srinivasan and The1Lion like this.
  3. Akhshay Srinivasan
    Nougat Jul 16, 2018

Mjo and Dresa91 like this.
  4. Dresa91

Mjo and Akhshay Srinivasan like this.
  5. Akhshay Srinivasan
    Nougat Jul 16, 2018

Mjo likes this.
  6. Drewbikscube
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Jul 16, 2018

Drewbikscube , Jul 16, 2018 :
    I would say I use technology 24/7 at this point.

I regularly use:
    • Online banking
    • Amazon for most things
    • Groceries I order online / using the grocery store app either for delivery or store pickup, (Store pickup, you park and they load up your car and you drive off. It's awesome!)
    • My house is full of Phillips Hue bulbs, Wemo outlets, Nest Cams, Apple TV's, Xbox One's, Chromecasts, etc.. Google Assistant controls everything for the most part.
    • My 2017 SUV has a connected app that keeps me in the loop of it's location, fuel/oil stats, etc..
    • Uber when traveling.
    • Always use travel apps, (Example: any plane ticket would be on the app and I always check-in early via app.)
    • Wireless chargers for devices where applicable. I even have a few set out for guests / visitors to use in my living room.
    In my professional life, I regularly use:
    • Various cloud applications, cloud services, and a cloud ERP solutions
    • Ifttt and other iOT connected applications / services / tools
    • SQL, HTML5, Java, JavaScript, Python, XML/SOAP, and many other programming languages.
    • EDI
    I could probably go on and on about all the technology I'm surrounded by daily in both my professional and personal life. I would say that there really aren't many "classic" ways of doing things anymore without some level of technology being involved. Possibly I'm bias in my subjective opinion because I work in IT with various technologies, but it's hard not to find some level of new tech in everything we do daily.

I would say when it comes to what more do we "need", I would say that we need to refine a lot of the "old" technologies we have today. Battery technology is an awesome example. We have been charging things for the most part and utilizing batteries the same way for YEARS! I have seen several articles and outstanding projects from various engineers working on new battery tech but have yet to see it truly implemented to benefit our daily lives. That would be the next innovation I'd like to see and it's the tech we need!

OnePlus, like many manufactures in the tech space, benefit from this greatly in many ways. We're inundated with mobile devices. For the most part, they all do relatively the same thing. However it's what they do differently that set them apart. OnePlus not only has a community that drives a lot of the product and technology, but OnePlus also takes a more refined look at some of the current technologies in efforts to provide a OnePlus consumer with the a more innovative experience, (whether they execute this well or not, their efforts and intentions are still seen within the product.) A good example would be gestures. Many devices have new gestures with consumers demanding more screen real estate. Google's added new gestures to Android P. They work OK, but I wouldn't say their great. I certainly prefer the gestures in OxygenOS.

OnePlus also has redefined the term "flagship", not by just slashing prices but delivering a great experience and an innovative refined piece of tech at a cost that's fully justified over the competition. There are so many reviews comparing OnePlus devices to the masses, in addition to a ton of posts asking if a consumer should purchase this versus a OnePlus. In the end OnePlus benefits because typically these conversations are usually in this community throughout all the threads in the forums. In most reviews or suggestions, there's always a a recommendation to check out the OnePlus if you want all the "flagship" features at a much lower cost in comparison. Again, this is my subjective opinion but I think it's really hard to truly justify purchasing a Pixel 2 XL at $800+ versus a OnePlus 6 at $588 as a typical consumer looking for an Android device. Even having that debate, even if I go with the Pixel 2 XL instead, OnePlus benefits because the next person might see my comparison and decide the latter....OnePlus has approached the mobile market much differently since day one with the OnePlus One and I think that's the benefit OnePlus has. (Apologize if this was too long lol but wanted to get all of this out there.)

7. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Jul 16, 2018 :
    wow :) thanks for your long and interesting reply :) that is great :)
    What do you think is coming next? :)

8. Drewbikscube
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Jul 16, 2018

Drewbikscube , Jul 16, 2018 :
    I think it's hard at this point to pinpoint what the next "big" thing will be. It's interesting when I think about this question. It reminds me of when Steve Jobs first introduced the iPhone and everyone was so amazed that all of this tech was crammed in such a small device and that it was going to change our lives greatly moving forward. Overtime, we've simply seen refinements to that tech from various manufactures but nothing truly innovative from the standpoint of this is completely NEW to consumers that's "life changing". Not in the near future but for sure in the next say 3-5 years we'll certainly see some interesting trends and changes in tech that either for the better or worse will change our lives greatly. AI will certainly play a role in this whether people like to admit it or not. If you follow Gary V. at all, voice in addition to AI, will also be the next "big" thing I believe. I would say yes it's popular now, but I don't think it's hit that point where all of your average consumers say "Ah ha! I must have this! This will improve X, Y, & Z in my life making it 50% more efficient". Right now voice for most users is "Awesome, I don't have to turn off my lights or get up to dim them when I'm watching Netflix..." It just hasn't scaled enough just yet because AI just isn't there yet. However, all the signs are pointing to the inevitable future that we as humans want to rely on tech for everything. We already do, but how much further can we push it.....

9. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Jul 17, 2018

Dresa91 , Jul 17, 2018 :
    ah I see. Ok. Well, let's see how the people are thinking and how they behave...Take a look at Microsoft, when they launched a tablet before Apple did. The mankind wasn't ready

Akhshay Srinivasan, Mjo and Venky61 like this.
  10. kuverti
    Gingerbread Jul 17, 2018

kuverti , Jul 17, 2018 :
    Music players have died long ago. Each year we see less and less compact cameras being released due to rapid drop in sales. Calculators are only used in school because you can't load notes on it and even this is changing, where more and more schools are implementing technology. And already few years ago some friends told me that they use a computer only when it is really necessary - for everything else there is this magical device called smartphone that has everything mentioned above. So what we have been seeing about ongoing technology for the past few years is definitely convergence.

However I don't really feel any different as before. I can still do all the tasks as before - of course a lot faster now. Only when I look back, I can see how much the technology has changed and how much we have changed. I mean I still go to a physical store to buy groceries, our country is far from getting Uber services and as a student I still can't afforded to spend too much money on any new fancy technology. But having a phone that can do so much, is something that drastically changed everything from communication, having a navigation app that tells you exactly which bus you have to take and when to get to your destination the fastest still blows my mind. Services such as Revolut or N26 that are revolutionising banking and after using it for two months and after everything everyone already mentioned before I can clearly say that we already live in the future and as the technology evolves and new devices come to the market, so will we. We might not notice it at first, but after a while when we will look back to this moment, we will see how much everything that is coming out today will affect our life.

Mjo, Ruby G. and Dresa91 like this.
  11. Shuller
    Jelly Bean Jul 28, 2018

Shuller , Jul 28, 2018 :
    I like the idea of restaurants that have embedded in the table a wireless charging platform. How should OP benefit? IDK, however addind a wireless charging to their produscts is gonna work.
    I like to pay with my smartphone using wallet apps... how should OP benefit? IDK, however a FingerPrint on front makes it much easier to use this functionality...
    I liked OP for the unique design and it was a great benefit for the OP... now it follows some kind of trends, reuses the design from other OEMs... so no benefits in here...
    Many OEMs... are trusted because they are not lying to customers... how can OP benefit in here?? IDK... you tell me)

Mjo likes this.
  12. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Jul 28, 2018

Dresa91 , Jul 28, 2018 :
    Thanks for your requirements thoughts.
    But digitalization goes further :)
    There are more aspects.
    You said you like paying via wallet app. but if you can pay without any interaction of you ? going through a scanning door for example?

Akhshay Srinivasan and Mjo like this.
  13. Shuller
    Jelly Bean Jul 28, 2018

Shuller , Jul 28, 2018 :
    I won’t use such a thing... depends on implimentations... the easiest way would be some king of implant... no thanks) so I was speaking mostly about smartphones, how everything affected and could affect our lifes...
    Using a smartphone for payments is perfect for me, no needs for caring all cards) however I wont trust event a blockchaing based app to approve my payments without my interaction...
    I have to say yes in some way...)

Mjo likes this.
  14. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Jul 28, 2018 :
    :D
    yeah...
    Think a chip under the skin is the next step for such things as payment, taking a train, etc.

15. Dynamic_Double
    Eclair Jul 28, 2018

Dynamic_Double , Jul 28, 2018 :
    The ongoing change in technology has affected me in many ways. One of the good ways is that it has enabled more independance as without things like sensors/ fobs for automated doors have enabled me to access places I would struggle to get in if the doors were heavy.

Another is the automation it had provided as it has helped me organise things quickly and manage things in the house all from my own mobile device.

Most importantly, it has enabled me to get around due to Powerchair technology having longer battery life and having a having equipment coming out designed to make things I would otherwise struggle with easier (hoists, electric desk chairs, powerchair sporting equipment, etc).

It has also allowed me to do things I wouldn't otherwise be able to do like driving a car from a powerchair, which actually features hand controls to help me drive the car and a ramp system to help me get in and out the car.

Mjo, johneebee, Ruby G. and 2 others like this.
  16. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Jul 28, 2018 :
    wow:) thanks for your answer :)

17. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Aug 1, 2018

luigimario , Aug 1, 2018 :
    Wow, yeah, having a mini computer in my pocket has changed my life quite a bit. I definitely communicate with a lot more people now that I have email and calling at my finger tips. I used to call a few friends occasionally when I was younger, but with a smartphone it's so easy to just send a text for anything to friends or family.

I don't have to carry around a gameboy anymore to play games, or a calculator. Don't need a pen or paper to take notes of stuff, don't need a camera, or a flashlight. I definitely waste a lot more time now with this distraction device on me at all times. Check news, weather, games, messages, phone calls. Heck, I'm doing it right now as I write this post. It's a bit ironic that a device that was supposed to save me time is causing me to have less free time for other things.

Don't need to carry a book around, or a portable dvd player. Don't need to carry credit cards, I can do banking from anywhere, don't need a tape recorder or a video camera. Online shopping, spell check, instant access to anything you could possibly want. It has definitely made people a lot more impatient.

When you don't have to wait for things, you absolutely hate waiting for things. I still have a good deal of patience but I do get impatient with certain things. I hate waiting in line, so much so that I'll go shopping first things in the morning so I can get in and out of the store before it gets crowded. Get out on the road before other people do so I can drive in peace without too much traffic. And I always look for the shortest checkout line in the store, or the one that's moving the fastest.

So how has tech changed my life? I'd say it's taken up a good deal of my time and made me more impatient as well.

Mjo and Ruby G. like this.
  18. cdnfarmer
    Photography Expert Aug 5, 2018

cdnfarmer , Aug 5, 2018 :
    Topic: How does ongoing technology affect your life

Has technology changed your behaviour?

The simple answer is Yes. Absolutely. It would be hard to find someone who has not changed their behaviour due to the advancements in technology. Let’s walk down memory lane.

Technology has a greater impact on our lives than it did half a century ago. For those of us who are old enough (and the youth who heard stories) remember playing outside 8-10 hours a day. There were no computer games or public internet. There were sticks and rocks and puddles and imagination. Those were the good old days. Then the early personal computer came out. Do you remember the Comodor 64? You had to enter code or run command to play games etc. Oh how Pacman was so much fun. It peaked many people’s interests. Then the internet came in the 90s.... It was not fire optic fast either. Back then, we had to be patient and do more steps to make the programs work. However, we had to learn the technology then as we do today.

Fast forward to 2018. Technology has become mainstream for almost everything. Let’s look at a simple example of watching TV and movies. Back in the 90s, you would have to buy a newspaper to see the schedule for TV shows. Yes. It was doable because there were a limited number of channels that were specific to an area. Now, TV shows can come from many places, even across the world. Schedules are listed on the TV screens or on the specific TV channels' website. Shows can also be recorded on a PVR and watched later while skipping the commercials. Now, we have the freedom to choose when we want to watch a show instead of having to be in front of a TV on a specific date and time to see it or miss the episode.

Internet is integrated in almost every thing: phone, TVs, computers, tablets, home appliances (e.g. fridges, Vitamix, grills, coffee pots), security systems, door bells, and medical devices. We now carry smartphones with us. We no longer have to rely on pay phones or getting home to call a friend.

@Dresa91, you asked if we are still traditional in some ways and would we use UBER? I still believe in going to the grocery store to select my food. Some stores have the option to “order online and pick it up.” This feature can be very helpful for some people yet I rather "live the shopping experience" and pick the items. UBER... well, this is what it would look like around here ...so probably not... I’ll drive my own tractor.

What do I like?
    • Real time access to information such as traffic conditions, weather, and emergencies broadcasts.
    • Look up information while running errands to make informed decisions or compare prices.
    • Access many resources in one device.
    • Speed at which information is available
    • Ability to communicate with people via different means (phone, SMS, videoconference etc) throughout the day.
    • Ability to see things from different parts of the world due to the Internet and information sharing.

Where have we gone too far?
    • Having too many apps that automate simple tasks and removing some thinking and problem solving power.
    • WiFi or Bluetooth in a blender or grill? Perhaps there are some neat features but is it really necessary? I rather go and change the program by hand instead of risking getting my phone covered with food.
    What do we need?
    There are lots of things already available. I think all phones should work with emergency broadcast systems in their respective countries. There are new systems in Canada that will send out SMS messages to people in the affected area. However, not all phones have the technical function. This would be something worthwhile investigating.

What about OnePlus?
    A lesson: Just because it is cool, doesn’t mean it is useful. OnePlus Oxygen OS is close to Android stock with the bare apps. It’s one of OnePlus’ advantages. This has been and should remain a key focus.

Therefore, there are many benefits derived from the technology. However, we need to determine the extent we need and use the items. Interestingly, we need to balance it with real personal interactions like the good old days.

woSch, Akhshay Srinivasan and Mjo like this.
  19. johneebee
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Aug 6, 2018

johneebee , Aug 6, 2018 :
    How does ongoing technology affect my life?

Well it surely makes my life allot more comfortable and easy. Right now as I’m writing this it’s over 35°C (95°F) outside, but I’m enjoying a nice breeze inside my room thanks to my fan.

I’m using different kinds of software apps and hardware to monitor my health. At first I thought all this health-tech is just a waste of time and money for consumers but when implementing them in my own life I did manage to motivate myself to eat healthier and exercise regularly thanks to the information that was gathered. And to be honest I feel like I don’t need them that much anymore nowadays because I’m getting pretty happy with my body and feel like all I needed them for was as a learning tool. But every now and then I get on my scale and see I’m close of falling off the wagon, so I start using them again and they help getting me on track again.

The fact that I got myself a decent laptop and smartphone also helped getting my grades up allot! I used to make all my summaries with pen and paper. But I have horrible, almost unreadable penmanship, so in order to make my summaries a bit readable I had to write really slow. And when I actually wanted to reread my summaries it took me quite a bit more time to read my own lines then it would reading them if they were written digitally. So ever since I got my new laptop (4 years ago) to university, I could actually take notes way faster, making me miss way less of what was said and making my notes and summaries way more usable for when I would need them! And thanks to my new first smartphone I could have those documents always in my pocket, so I could study whenever I had some free time, like for example on my 1 hour long bus rides.

And a last way ongoing technology is affecting me is just the fact that all the information about new tech is kind of like an addiction to me. I love going online and reading or checking out videos about new things that are coming. I think I secretly just want to be able to time travel because I will always want to know what comes next in the world of tech!

20. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Aug 7, 2018

Venky61 , Aug 7, 2018 :
    How does ongoing technology affect my life?

Hi @Dresa91 Thanks for choosing this topic. I spend half my time without access to much of advanced technology and the other half with it, let me tell you how. I work at a place where mobile phones are not allowed, nor there is access to technology that would be useful to daily life. The only piece of technology available here that is useful for me, is Computer with internet. No Wifi, No Laptops, only one desktop computer with internet per person.. Not more not less. If I have to work at my lab and not the desk, am left with computer without internet.
    So let me list the things I do in my daily life at work in slightly traditional way,
    1. Use Physical Calculator.
    2. Use Sticky notes and White board for To-Do's and Reminders.
    3. Read from physical journals.
    4. Pay in cash for food.
    5. Use Landline phone.
    6. Send a person to track someone in need. :p (No Location Sharing option)
    7. Physically go to the store with a printout of Requisition to collect the material.
    8. Being a Huge campus, I wait for the shuttle to travel from A to B. (No Uber)
    9. Drive to Office from home without dynamic traffic updates.
    10 Write notes on a book.

All these above things I do out of Force. I have been doing this for the last 8 years and I know exactly the downsides of it. I sure got used to this life, but I wonder everyday, how the access to technology would have increased the productivity. Our seniors argue about how they managed many years, but I disagree every time. Time's become more precious. We are expected to do many things in the same amount of time. The technology really helps to reduce the time for each task. I know the amount of time I waste to take my change from the food cashier, to get papers signed physically from the superiors and visit to the store for material. So much could have been accomplished during that time. Replacing all this with digital signatures and no paper procedure would help getting things done more smoothly.

Once I reach Home, I see the opportunity to use technology for almost every thing. Order food & Groceries online to save time, Video/Audio calls with family far away, pay by card/mobile wallets, book an Uber without having to bargain with the Auto drivers, wireless speaker for audio,Traffic updates, watching global content on TV, clothes getting washed automatically, Alexa to remind limited things etc. All these things make my life easier. Give me a scope of achieving more in the given time. When I feel that its overshadowing life or effecting personal behavior, I take a break from them.

So to conclude, everyone should have a choice to make use of the ongoing technology to an extent they feel comfortable. One would want it to an extent of just reminding the task and other might want it to even get the things done. But technology has not reached a level to understand the human behavior, its still in our hands. If my wife is annoyed with me spending so much time on these forums, I have to switch it off. May be a day would come when it can read my wife's mind and go into fail safe mode :p.

johneebee likes this.