[Let’s Talk] How does your dream phone look like?

1. RogerF81
    Honeycomb Jul 16, 2018

RogerF81 , Jul 16, 2018 :
    As the title says: How do you imagine your dream phone? For example, in my opinion, OnePlus does many things right, but since my former HTC 10, I love stereo speakers, and I really wished, OnePlus would include them in a future phone.

So this thread is here to share your thought, your suggestions, your wishes. You can describe a complete phone (specs, materials, features, etc.), or just some parts you would like to focus on. If you're an experienced draftsman, feel free to share your ideas, too ;) I'm very excited about your answers!

2. GopalB.
    Nougat Jul 17, 2018

GopalB. , Jul 17, 2018 :
    Probably like my OnePlus 5... As I named it "Dream" as soon as I got it... [​IMG]

PS: Can't remember my dreams tho... [​IMG]

Shadow0929 and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  3. NeVeR_SeTTLe
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jul 17, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe , Jul 17, 2018 :
    I'll give this one a go

- 6 inch AMOLED FHD Display
    - The latest greatest Snapdragon processor
    - Build quality - Aluminum or Ceramic
    - 20 mexapixel quad cameras in the back with an aperture of 1.4 (interchangeable to 2.4)
    - 16 megapixel duo camera on the front with aperture of 1.8
    - 10 GB of RAM
    - 256GB of internal storage or a micro SD card slot
    - Gorilla Glass 6
    - 3.5 mm headphone jack
    - Waterproof
    - Dash Charge or a faster technology than Dash Charge
    - Duo stereo speakers like Boom Sound

Is that much to ask? :D

4. RogerF81
    Honeycomb Jul 17, 2018

RogerF81 , Jul 17, 2018 :
    Sounds very nice :D

dec1153 and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  5. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Jul 17, 2018

6. brian.sedore
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 18, 2018

brian.sedore , Jul 18, 2018 :
    Let’s start with some features:

Waterproof for those happy accidents.
    A couple years back, I had my Nexus 5 (oh what a phone) and I was out at the local ribfest. Nearing the end of the night, a severe storm came through and I was left with no choice but to trudge along through the heavy downpour to my car. In my pocket was my phone and I tried shielding it the best I could. After that, it was never really quite the same even though the rice treatment got it back up and kicking. The camera was always hit or miss whether it would open or not and it had some other strange quirks.

Headphone Jack. (can’t believe I have to include this on my wishlist, but hello 2018)
    For the amount of times I use headphones in my devices, it isn’t necessary, but it is so handy. For an ideal phone, it would definitely have one.

Updates for 3+ years.
    This seems to be asking a lot since I don’t know any company that does this, except maybe Apple, but wouldn’t it be nice if software was designed in such a way that phones that are three years old could run the newest version of Android? Going back to my Nexus 5, being the Nexus line, it got updates for quite awhile. I’m pretty sure it didn’t get beyond Marshmallow. What a downer that was.

Camera the same as the Pixel 2.
    No question OnePlus needs some work in the camera department.

Dash Charging.
    Enough said.

Alert Slider.
    I didn't think I would enjoy an alert slider as much as I have, but it is so convenient to just push a switch to the desired position. Need to quickly go to vibrate? Boom. Want the volume back on? Done. Need to not be disturbed? As you wish.

Look/Feel:
    Back material of the OnePlus 5T in red.
    Good bezel to phone size ratio. Again, the 5T has a good ratio.
    Customizable backs like older OnePlus devices.
    Fingerprint reader on the back.

Some notable features missing:
    Wireless charging.
    I guess it’s convenient to just place your phone down on a pad and it starts charging, but I like the consistency of wired charging. Dash Charging is pretty awesome too.

Dual front facing speakers.
    Ok, they’d be kind of cool, but for how long? I don’t watch that many videos on my phone without my headphones. I don’t need to have it sound like I’m at the movies when watching on such a tiny device.

I guess I'm pretty easy. Design something like the 5T with a great camera, some customization for the back and waterproof the thing. Oh, and keep designing/updating software for it for awhile.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018

E1523460281873, Kambanka and Ruby G. like this.
  7. RogerF81
    Honeycomb Jul 18, 2018

RogerF81 , Jul 18, 2018 :
    Sounds definitely interesting! I guess the only thing which couldn't be possible is waterproof + customizable backs, but besides, good suggestions :)

8. johneebee
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jul 18, 2018

johneebee , Jul 18, 2018 :
    How does my dream phone look like?

Well if I actually am thinking of a "dream phone" I think of a "phone" that probably isn't yet possible to be made but thanks to one technology that I know isn't there just yet, but one day it will be and it will change the whole smartphone game and humanity as we know it.

A brain computer interface (BCI)
    [​IMG]
    As the power of modern computers grows alongside our understanding of the human brain, we move ever closer to making some pretty spectacular science fiction into reality. Imagine transmitting signals directly to someone's brain that would allow them to see, hear or feel specific sensory inputs. Consider the potential to manipulate computers or machinery with nothing more than a thought, just like we do nowadays by talking to our smarthome devices, but with BCI this could all be done without actually speaking. With enough "smartdevices" around you, you could feel like a wizard just controlling everything via telepathy. And talking about telepathy, this might make it possible to actually send your thoughts to some one if you desire, making it capable to communicate in a whole new way! And it isn't just about convenience, for severely disabled people, development of a brain-computer interface (BCI) could be the most important technological breakthrough in decades.

[​IMG]

display:
    And this could mean that we'd have developed the best "display" ever, since we could directly send images into some ones mind, so no more talk about a screen not being bright enough in the sun or being able to be scratched because it got dropped.

sound:
    Also this would make it possible to enjoy music and private calls even in loud environments because you'll be hearing the music directly in your head. And talking about people with a disability, people with many kinds of hearing loss might be helped allot by this technology since it bypasses the whole hearing-organ and just directly sends signals to the brain.
    [​IMG]

Gaming and immersion into other kinds of media:
    So I've already talking about how this technology could give us the best sound quality and display ever, but there's one aspect that to really immerse ourselves into a game hasn't really been implemented that well (or even at all). I'm talking about tactile feedback. With signals being send directly into your brain, your brain could get tricked into actually feeling temperature, vibrations and touch ( and also pain, but ... maybe we shouldn't really touch that one.. unless maybe a little shock if you have this really important meeting and you didn't get out of bed after your 10th alarm :p )

The possibilities are endless and only limited by our imagination!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018

9. f1_nut
    Gingerbread Jul 20, 2018

f1_nut , Jul 20, 2018 :
    - latest snap dragon processor.
    - 5.5 - 6" lcd (display similar to iphone) with screen temp calibration
    - stereo speakers like pixel xl 2
    - no front facing camera which provides slimmer top and bottom bezels. (gets rid of any notches)
    - aluminum material
    - no headphone jack (optional with or without at purchase)
    - 128gb with 8GB of ram
    - type c port with dash charging
    - easy access to replace battery. similarly built to the oneplus 5t. back cover held in by clips
    - 3500 - 4000 mah battery
    - dual camera setup with sony sensors. (vertically placed in the centre)
    - finger printer reader on back
    - same on screen gestures like on the oneplus 6.
    - ir blaster for universal remote
    - when screen is off while listening to music. gestures to swipe up and down on screen to adjust volume. quick swipe left and right to skip tracks. slow swipe/hold left and right to rewind or fast forward.

woot!

RogerF81 and Kambanka like this.
  10. Rohan Nazir
    Donut Jul 20, 2018

Rohan Nazir , Jul 20, 2018 :
    Well let's break it down ;

-6 inch AMOLED FHD+ screen
    -Latest Snapdragon processor
    -4000-5000 mah battery
    -AndroidOne or OxygenOs
    -Fast charging via USB Type-C (WARP charge or SuperCharge)
    -Aluminium Build
    -No notch
    -Stereo Speakers
    -Fingerprint scanner at the back orrrrrrr In-Display. No face unlock- It's just creepy.
    -Headphone jack
    -I dont care about the megapixel count (Dual camera - wide angle and RGB). Do great in the software to make the pictures look really good (ahemmm pixel ahemmm)
    -Front faceing camera should be as good as the rear cameras (single camera)
    - waterproof IP68
    - Use the AI or other stuff so it should remain snappy for at least 4-5 years
    -Expandable storage (Sim slot + hybrid slot)
    -ALERT SLIDER IS A MUST
    -Programmable button (let the user choose what he wants to do,with full access to apps)
    -(getting ahead of my self but wireless charging) don't implement until it's really really fast like fast charging.
    -The price should not exceed 700$

Do surveys and get user feedback on all your devices on regular basis like twice a month.

11. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Jul 20, 2018

Dresa91 , Jul 20, 2018 :
    How does my dream phone look like?
    Well, to be honest, I have no direct idea what my dream phone should look like.
    I always make spontaneous decisions. First and foremost is always functionality. Therefore I always choose a mobile phone that is relatively young at the time of purchase, so that it is guaranteed that I can use it at least 2 years because of updates.
    And the rest is just an add-on. It shouldn't be too big. The appealing appearance comes then almost in the purchase decision, I have several equivalent devices to choose from, so I decide then after the appearance. And these can be minimal nuances. So I currently have no direct wishes or concrete opinions a la: It must have a notch, or it must have 4 cameras on the back. I don't care about that. I work in IT - I look at the inner values :D

RogerF81 likes this.
  12. Liehjan
    Lollipop Jul 20, 2018

Liehjan , Jul 20, 2018 :
    Dear oneplus, if you need design ideas for the next phone with a notch.. do this :)

upload_2018-7-20_10-30-13.png

13. dasza1965
    Gingerbread Jul 20, 2018

dasza1965 , Jul 20, 2018 :
    I had OPO, OP3 and now OP5

I will add:
    - Basic waterproof
    - newer snapdragon
    - common dual SIM + microSD card
    - bigger battery

Please keep:
    - Dual SIM
    - Headphone jack
    - possibility to change battery
    - metal body (ceramic could be special edition)
    -

Listen to your customers - not only replication of new trends.

14. Fidda
    Gingerbread Jul 20, 2018

Fidda , Jul 20, 2018 :
    Oneplus 6 is great, it needs just a little to be perfect. Thermal paste for the CPU and GPU and maybe stereo speakers, keep the headphone jack please.

RogerF81 likes this.
  15. IsaacHung
    Honeycomb Jul 20, 2018

IsaacHung , Jul 20, 2018 :
    - 6.3 inch screen (or more)
    - AMOLED
    - 18:9 (or more)
    - very thin bezels (notches are fine)
    - rounded corners (not like the 5T)
    - glass back
    - gorilla glass
    - IP rating
    - headphone jack
    - stereo speakers
    - 20 megapixel front facing camera
    - triple rear, normal, wide angle, optical zoom, OIS
    - 4k 60fps, so on and so on
    - stock android/oxygen os
    - monthly security patches

RogerF81 likes this.
  16. OneByOneTwo
    Froyo Jul 20, 2018

17. js3ramx
    Cupcake Jul 20, 2018

js3ramx , Jul 20, 2018 :
    I'll add wireless charge and 4000 mAh battery

18. NeVeR_SeTTLe
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jul 20, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe , Jul 20, 2018 :
    The battery I will give you a two thumbs up, but as for wireless charge - don't need it - it's slow too.

RogerF81 likes this.
  19. OneByOneTwo
    Froyo Jul 20, 2018

OneByOneTwo , Jul 20, 2018 :
    Specs

-Latest Snapdragon chipset
    -10GB RAM
    -512GB OR 1TB Storage
    -IP68 Water Resistant
    -Ceramic OR Glass matte back
    -Latest Gorilla Glass protection
    -3500-3900mAh battery
    -No notch
    -No chin
    -6.1" OR 6.5" Super AMOLED display
    -Longer Software Update support(Like Apple)
    -Stereo Speakers
    -Alert Slider
    -OxygenOS with theme store
    -Clicky buttons
    -Triple Rear Camera Setup
    -23MP telephoto camera
    -40MP black and white camera
    -23MP super wide angle camera
    -Dual Selfie Camera Setup
    -16MP telephoto camera
    -16MP wide angle camera for wefies
    -Bass Speakers like LG(but make it less hollow)
    -Quick Wireless Charging
    -3.5mm Headphone Jack
    -Ultra Cooling System(within a thin profile)

RogerF81 likes this.
  20. gxr26
    Cupcake Jul 20, 2018

gxr26 , Jul 20, 2018 :
    I think stereo speakers should located different sides. In short, if one of the speakers located in near of the charge socket, other should locate top of the phone(not above of display, top edge).thus, when i playing pubg, i can hear something like using stereo headphone.
    And i like dash charge, keep it pls.

RogerF81 likes this.