[Let's Talk] If you could design a line of accessories for your OnePlus device...

1. F_Maarten_Slock_dJTQ
    Cupcake Apr 19, 2018

F_Maarten_Slock_dJTQ , Apr 19, 2018 :
    Thank you for not reserving a space, tagging Ruby 100times or using as much colors as possible haha

I love to read these threads but the amount of ***licking is really high..

Just post whenever you have a good idea of opinion, the likes will follow and the people will read it if the content is good enough.

saknox likes this.
  2. Rahul.chavan
    Gingerbread Apr 19, 2018

Rahul.chavan , Apr 19, 2018 :
    If you could design a line of accessories for your OnePlus device, what would they be?

Posts of 300 – 1000 words will be automatically entered in to our ongoing rewards program and potentially be chosen to move to the next level. Have fun, debate with each other, and let the knowledge flow![/QUOTE]
    :---
    For me if I could design a line of accessories those may be as preference below.

1) Game console
    A detachable game console to the OnePlus device. to enjoy latest games with hardware boost. This will improve gaming experience too.

2) Back cover with power bank
    back cover with power bank will support in case of emergency also while travelling

3) wireless charger
    This will make easy/simple to charge phone just put it on charger is job is done!

4) Wire less headphones/earphones
    like to be wire free as it is easy to pick call or listen music while phone is charging or away from device,
    even it help for multitasking.

5) small projector
    To enjoy movies/shows any where with small setup.

6) Small docking station
    To perform few office related work so no need to login to computer and do task which are possible with internet connection or so.

7) Screen protector
    May be scratch guard or tampered glass to protect device display in accidental drop.

8) Smart band
    for health/fitness tracking, to trace the fitness activities.

9) smart watch
    For important alerts and notification while driving or in meeting. also useful for device safety with disconnected alert.

10) Different camera attachment like "fisheye lens" to try different type of photography.

11) Wireless speaker to enjoy music.

12) Device holder for car or bike so we don't drop device mistakenly and get GPS navigation easily.

13) OTG connector to connect external storage to the device.

14) VR/AR for new VR or AR gaming experience.

15) Audio jack pointer for your presentations.

16) car dash charger.

17) keyboard projector.

18) solar charger helpful for the people usually do outing.

19) powerful flash light to use for photography or can be use in dark as torch.

20) NFC Tags to use as smart payment and other utilities.

Attached Files:

3. EcoVB
    Honeycomb Apr 19, 2018

EcoVB , Apr 19, 2018 :
    Since many things have already been mentined here, how about a flexible, scratch-proof phone that can wrap around your wrist?
    Like the portal-phone, but real? If you could make something like that, there won't be any need for other accessoires! ;)

Ruby G. likes this.
  4. hiteshits
    Honeycomb Apr 19, 2018

5. khuynh125
    Donut Apr 19, 2018

khuynh125 , Apr 19, 2018 :
    I have a few things in mind for new accessories.

One Plus Smart Watch - I think a smart watch made from One Plus will be a huge success. One Plus is notable for manufacturing fast and clean smartphones. With this in mind, One Plus has the possibility of creating a smart watch that is not only fast, but also affordable. Also, One Plus could possibly integrate their own custom features like how OxygenOS provides custom features on the mobile devices. I also think that if One Plus produces this smart watches, not only will it be fast, but it will have a sleek design. One Plus' previous accessories such as their shirts and cases have a clean and aesthetic design. I believe that they can make the same awesome design with a smart watch!

One Plus Clothing - I know that One Plus already has some clothing products such as t-shirts and baseball caps, but I think One Plus should create more different clothing products. I think some good ones would be hoodies, long sleeve tees, beanies, and dad hats. With the beanies and dad hats, I think if One Plus creates these with a similar design to the baseball caps, it will create a simple, yet aesthetic design that I believe many people would want to wear (including me). This can also be implemented into the long sleeve/hoodies as well.

One Plus Laptops/Tablets - This probably is very unlikely to happen, but I think if it does, it will have huge success. One Plus is known to create elegant, fast, and clean smartphones at a price that is more affordable compared to their competitors. Though smartphones are the most popular device out of the three, there are still those use tablets and many still use laptops. If One Plus can provide the same values to these devices like they do to their smartphones, these devices will be fast, clean, and sleek at a very good price.

Ruby G. and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  6. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Apr 19, 2018

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Apr 19, 2018 :
    hello Sagar,

I don't know how you arrived at 3 to 5% figures as the cost of insurance/ repairs/ screen replacement, motherboard, etc.

in your whole analysis, there is an inherent assumption that costs of components are proportional to the prices. this is completely wrong. for example, the cost of making a Samsung Galaxy S9 is roughly 15k (INR) or $ 250 - this is direct cost of material and production. Other companies too have a very similar cost in terms of value, which means their direct cost of production is a substantially high % of their retail price.

where Samsung, Apple and other big names have a higher cost is their R&D, Marketing, etc. In other words, what I am trying to tell you is that a screen replacement of a OnePlus device is almost as expensive (in money terms) as it is for a Samsung because the components are expensive. OnePlus, like other smaller names, work off a much smaller margin compared to Samsung, Apple & Google.

so a replacement/ repair plan of 5% is not going to make money for the company.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe likes this.
  7. sagarmagnani
    Gingerbread Apr 19, 2018

sagarmagnani , Apr 19, 2018 :

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan

hello Sagar,

I don't know how you arrived at 3 to 5% figures as the cost of insurance/ repairs/ screen replacement, motherboard, etc.

in your whole analysis, there is an inherent assumption that costs of components are proportional to the prices. this is completely wrong. for example, the cost of making a Samsung Galaxy S9 is roughly 15k (INR) - this is direct cost of material and production. Other companies too have a very similar cost in terms of value, which means their direct cost of production is a substantially high % of their retail price.

where Samsung, Apple and other big names have a higher cost is their R&D, Marketing, etc. In other words, what I am trying to tell you is that a screen replacement of a OnePlus device is almost as expensive (in money terms) as it is for a Samsung because the components are expensive. OnePlus, like other smaller names, work off a much smaller margin compared to Samsung, Apple & Google.

so a replacement/ repair plan of 5% is not going to make money for the company.​

I think that you haven't read what I wrote completely or rather you didn't understood what I wrote...

3-5% are not the cost of the components.
    3-5% are the cost of the plans which I have suggested so as to make the person eligible to buy the schemes under which one will be entitled to avail discounted rates towards repairs.

I assume that you are Indian so to explain in INR ....

See the below example -

Suppose the cost of OP5T screen is INR 15,000 maximum.

What I have suggested is a straight discount of 50% towards these cost as a one-time offer to each user.
    Now is one-time scheme is eligible to all major parts like Screen, Motherboard,Back panel....etc.
    With each of them eligible to be replaced separately at a discounted price once per part and not once per mobile.

Now the questions of Income arises...
    So in such cases OP can charge 3-5% of cost of OP5T (INR 33k) as a additional charge to avail this discounted scheme as either Straight Labour Charges & Add-On Packs {both separately purchasable} through which one can avail this scheme of discounted prices - 3-5% of OP5T= INR 990-1650 depending on the parts to be replaced...

So in order to avail the One-Time offer scheme one must have an Add-On Pack or pay a straight labour fee based on the above calculations.

I believe the Add-On Pack can be a part of the accessories program costing Max 3% of OP5T = ₹990.

Labour Charges 3% ₹ 990 depending on parts to be exchanged.

One important thing to make this scheme foolproof and completely sellable is to increase increase the validity of such schemes to 6 months - 1 yr over and above standard 1yr warranty.
    So [1 yr + 6m/1yr*] Validity of the schemes post purchase of the device .
    *Add-On Pack can be purchased either with the device or must be activated maximum 15days to 1month post device purchase.

Do msg me if you need any clarifications or further understanding to this.

Any positive feedback is much appreciated.

Thks

8. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Apr 19, 2018

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Apr 19, 2018 :
    in other words, you are asking OnePlus to get into the insurance business, which works on sheer numbers, that they don't have.

9. Juanidoo
    Cupcake Apr 19, 2018

Juanidoo , Apr 19, 2018 :
    I would really consider a dust proof case. as in the pockets lint make go into the charging port and/or headphone jack.
    that would be beneficial to many users

10. sommersy
    KitKat Apr 19, 2018

sommersy , Apr 19, 2018 :
    Now this is on topic, there are some suggestions you could slap OP branding on that i occasionally mean to mention:

- A charging cable bracelet, in line with something like this. They have a number of advantages, including never being short of a usb cable, and having a cable that does something besides...be a cable. You get the idea. It should also look good, although the leather thing is optional for me. As for connections, it may have come to the point where you could get away with going USB-C only. On that note, adding Dash Charge couid push up the asking price a bit. Otoh, that would make the perfect bundle with...

- A Dash Charge Power Bank: Yes, this again. ;)

- An electric bike (What, all the other Chinese OEMs are doing it ;p)

- An electric skateboard: See above

- New mousepads

- Loop/Cardboard v2: because why not

That's all ive got for now. Hope it helps :)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018

Ruby G. and meatandy like this.
  11. meatandy
    Oreo Apr 19, 2018

meatandy , Apr 19, 2018 :
    The link isn't working , just goes to the main page.

12. sommersy
    KitKat Apr 19, 2018

sommersy , Apr 19, 2018 :
    Huh. For me, it goes to the main page, then back to the page i meant :/ i might change it to another similar one anyway

13. meatandy
    Oreo Apr 19, 2018

meatandy , Apr 19, 2018 :
    It's working now thanks

sommersy likes this.
  14. A1524177318943
    Cupcake Apr 19, 2018

A1524177318943 , Apr 19, 2018 :
    Hi guys,

Is there a topic on what we, the customers, would like to see in your next iteration of the OnePlus? The 6, I would assume...

I for one was expecting some improvements with the 5T already, but maybe I am just too anxious. For instance I was really hoping for USB 3, since it is really time to have it on a phone. There is a longer list, but I am already offtopic.

On the current topic I can say I bought my 5T with the tempered glass and one of the cases on your website. And so far no matter how much I tried not to drop my phone, at times there's no escape. However, from this perspective I can't complain. I accidentally dropped my phone probably more than 5 time mostly face down and I haven't yet found one dent or problem there. The tempered glass seems to give some weird reflections on the screen that I have never had with my OnePlus One and seems to have got some scraches not related to falling. Still really nothing to worry about.

The accessory I would have loved to find would have been some spectacular handsfree (headphones with mic). I did try the ones you pushed with OnePlus One but I can't tell you how disappointed I was with them. The main problem here is that, I believe, the mainstream request is for headphones with deep (all the way to artificial) base sound and others like me are looking for something clean and very good build quality. Something that holds and doesn't require changing every three months (and in that respect the previous headphones are still lasting in an amazing way). So either partner with several brands and provide a larger offer for various requirements or stick with what you have and everyone will keep buying whatever headphones they desire from companies specialized in headphones. It is up to you to decide if it's worth to gamble and try to deliver to everyone.

P.S.: really looking forward to 5.1.0 upgrade in Europe! :)

Ruby G. likes this.
  15. Mapletrout
    Eclair Apr 20, 2018

Mapletrout , Apr 20, 2018 :
    The only thing I could think of designing is one of those extension layers old Thinkpads and HP Elitebooks used to have. Blocky, full of various extra ports, and harbors an extra (smaller) battery for some longer battery life. They also used to have fans, but my 5T never gets hot, so I propose to make the fan exterior so I can survive during the summer.

Think about it, you can put it a couple USB-C, and/or regular USB ports, an micro-sd card reader, an IR blaster, and some buttons for custom apps or actions.

Also make it thicc and chromatic so I can show off and not have my screen protector crack at the first drop >-<

Ruby G. likes this.
  16. G_Ping_Ou_Ratd
    Froyo Apr 20, 2018

G_Ping_Ou_Ratd , Apr 20, 2018 :
    some waterproof case idea.

the waterproof case can fix all oneplus phone. one big no color case (help camera ) and some parts ( Acts as fixed and filled space, :-the oneplus 5 parts for 1+ 5. 1+3 parts use for 1+3 phone. )

PS use waterproof Case must use face unlock.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018

17. psideburns
    Froyo Apr 20, 2018

psideburns , Apr 20, 2018 :
    I like the notebook idea, place your phone where the track pad should be and Walla! Instant OnePlus Chromebook. The killer would be the price, it would have to be cheap enough to justify another accessory purchase, but not too expensive for basically a skeletonized notebook. It would have to not be phone specific, there lies the challenge, not to mention keeping the price low...

18. G1517487135797
    Cupcake Apr 20, 2018

19. F_Jude_André_Legendre_p
    Gingerbread Apr 20, 2018

AnunciPronunci likes this.
  20. Bhargava_Teja_Sallapalli
    Eclair Apr 20, 2018

Bhargava_Teja_Sallapalli , Apr 20, 2018 :
    1.Lenses as you are focused on photography #Shotononeplus
    2. dash charge power bank
    3.Awesome Cases with abilities
    4. Smart watch would be nice
    5. Jump into always connected PC fast, I Know people in India would buy it if you price and market it like the phone

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018