[Let's Talk] If you could design a line of accessories for your OnePlus device...

1. script
    Nougat Moderator Apr 23, 2018

script , Apr 23, 2018 :
    A line of accessories for your OnePlus device

The camcorder case

This is my first entry in the forum: Camcorder Phone , and my idea/ wish hasn´t changed. As an accessory I would love and recommend something that I call a "camcorder case".

For a better filming and esp sound recording a phone is not well equipped. It lacks good stereo microphones and several connectors to connect external gear, such as extra lenses, or external microphones, or a tripod connector. Also, the sound recording level should be manually adjustable.

As a special topping, that camcorder case could even have more sound input jacks than only two. What about 8 input jacks? So it could be possible (with a certain software of course) to record more than two stereo tracks. That would be very interesting for musicians. They could use their phone as a multitrack sound recording device.

So, basically my accessory idea is to add more connectors in a specialized extra case. With such a case, which won´t be very cheap, you could turn your phone into a professional machine, to record either film-camera-like movies, or multitrack sound on a pro level.

As extra, add an external memory card, because, when you are filming, you might want to save the latest clips to a PC, but continue filming with the phone. With an external card, you just need to grab your first card from the camcorder case, put a second card into the phone and copy the files from the first card to your PC. For safety reasons, when you film something important, you always want to safe your material on external HDD.

That camcorder case should also have a holder and a connection for extra telephoto or wide-angle lenses. Put your phone into the camcorder case and clip on the extra lens and you have what I wanted from day 1 on the forums, and what basically made me interested in OnePlus. You would massively improve your telephone to a higher level and get a camcorder phone.

Of course that is not interesting for every user. But those who like filming would love it. This accessory gives the kick.

2. Shivang Joshi
    Starting Point Expert Apr 23, 2018

Shivang Joshi , Apr 23, 2018 :
    I'll love to have this :)

script likes this.
  3. isatech
    Donut Apr 23, 2018

isatech , Apr 23, 2018 :
    I am not thinking in line for accessories, since we get universal fits or retro fits for almost all phones on the market.
    Thinking what a user needs is more in the original fits, than the accessories.
    How about bringing back the "All Love" removable battery !!!
    How about making the OnePlus IP68 rated.
    How about a QHD screen? Removable battery is going to make it and will be a hit in that case scenario.
    OIS for front & back camera.
    A wide angle secondary camera lens.
    A wide angle front camera.
    Well and last but not the least, an always ignored but most needed part of the bundle.... A long enough charging cable !!!!

4. elanglois
    Lollipop Apr 25, 2018

elanglois , Apr 25, 2018 :
    Wow. You stole my ideas out of my brain. Great job man

dsmonteiro and meatandy like this.
  5. Bhupinder_Singh_Saini_
    Cupcake Apr 28, 2018

6. Black Forest Ham
    The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer May 1, 2018

Black Forest Ham , May 1, 2018 :
    Coincidentally I'm studying industrial design in college, so this topic seems to be right up my alley!

Throughout the latter half of my 1st year in college, my OnePlus 5T has played an indispensable role in day-to-day life, and has been my main way of taking notes in lecture, documenting ideas and progress in the studio, and taking final product photos which, might I add, it does very nicely with the portrait mode. (See the attached photo :D)

However, putting it through its paces has made me realize some of the ways that accessories would have improved my experience with it. Here's a line of accessories I'd want to design for the OnePlus 5T for the perfect student experience:

1. Minimal Rugged Case
    Fact: I can't stand ugly bulky cases on my phone. Also fact: I put my phone through a lot.
    This puts me in a tough position, as in the studio or outdoors, or even just around the house, I find my clumsy self often in very severe need of a drop-proof, dust-proof case. However, the only offerings that check both these boxes currently are too thick or look garish and kitsch, or both! A case that can really stand up to my daily wear and tear while keeping to the sleek OnePlus design language is sure to snag my attention.
    Dust.jpg

2. Wireless Headphones/Earbuds/Receiver
    Though I very much appreciate the retention of the beloved headphone jack, and though it works perfectly for a relaxed listening session at home, long dangling cords are a major safety hazard in the shop and, well, in daily life! Think about all the doorknobs and edges of things that have snagged and ripped your earbuds out of your poor ears! I'd love to see an official OnePlus lineup of Bluetooth audio devices, or maybe just an easily pocket-able wireless Bluetooth receiver that I could plug my bullets or other headphones into. It'd be a great opportunity to make good use of the AptX tech on the 5T as well!

3. Bluetooth Keyboard/Other Peripherals
    Maybe one of the best ways to describe the way my 5T is used daily, aside from "workhorse", would be "laptop replacement." For taking notes, spreadsheets, and all the light tasks associated with lectures and classes, the 5T's power and speed are far more than enough. In fact, on occasion I've even used remote desktop to link back to my PC at home for some more intensive work! However, the only major limiting factor for me has been the keyboard. More specifically, the on-screen keyboard; even with swipe I can't get my typing speed up very high. Currently I carry a little folding bluetooth keyboard with me for intensive text entry, but a more complete solution would consist of a keyboard with some sort of trackpoint or trackpad, and a fold-out stand, as well as better-tailored android-friendly controls.
    Keyboard.PNG

4. A Display and more...?
    Thinking more far-fetched, an additional accessory to fully leverage the power of the OnePlus 5T or upcoming devices would be very exciting. Akin to Razer's Project Linda or the Superbook kickstarter, essentially a chassis with a keyboard, a display, speakers, and a battery backup to transform the phone into a full-fledged notebook would be, I believe, an incredibly adventurous and positively disruptive idea.

I believe that with all the quality lifestyle gear and accessories OnePlus is currently making, it's got a bright outlook to be expanding towards having a brand presence like Xiaomi, so I think that to be pondering past even conventional phone accessories, isn't too far out of reach.

Another huge thanks to @Ruby G. for hosting this Let's Talk topic! Hopefully I'm not too late on submission, it's still april 30th in Canada!;)

Attached Files:

Ruby G. and saknox like this.
  7. rw0584
    Froyo May 4, 2018

rw0584 , May 4, 2018 :
    A few years ago, I have built myself a case from a block of cork.
    It was just such a joy to touch and hold in my hands.
    After using other organic materials, such as bamboo and wood, cork would actually make sense too...?!

8. OnePlusEleventyThree
    Froyo May 9, 2018

OnePlusEleventyThree , May 9, 2018 :
    Love this idea the most.
    Would kinda make it just like how the Nintendo Switch does it!
    (...only with quite a few more useful features!) Nice!

dsmonteiro likes this.
  9. F_Rifat_Rahman_eiUD
    Cupcake May 16, 2018

F_Rifat_Rahman_eiUD , May 16, 2018 :
    "These features are also backwards compatible with the OP5 and newer devices"
    can you please describe it clearly. If we use one plus 3/3t we can't use this wireless eaephn?

10. midifire
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 17, 2018

midifire , May 17, 2018 :
    Oneplus clothing with a lot of pockets.

They seem to be very popular these days: coats/clothing with loads of pockets for your tech gadgets.
    I've even read about lawsuits regarding "patented pockets" - which I find absolutely ridiculous but they exist nonetheless.
    Like a basic hoodie but with hidden pockets to put your phone away would be cool imho.
    Or where you could put a battery pack and charge your phone on the go.

Oneplus beanie with built-in BT/wireless earphones
    Pretty self-explanatory, I've had beanies with built-in earphones but they
    broke pretty fast and I didn't purchase them back, so these do need to be
    executed perfectly.

ONEPLUS SPECTACLES

I have the Snapchat spectacles and they're actually pretty cool goggles (but with shitty glass).
    The only downside Snapchats spectacles have is they're meant for Snapchat only,
    I am however a fan of instagram and am still waiting for a manufacturer to make one that
    could be used with many other apps but isn't as bulky/protruding as classic spyglasses.
    I'd definitely get this product, too bad instagram hasn't copied this yet, it really is a cool gadget
    but neglected because well meant "only" for snapchat. You can use the video in instagram but it's
    not entirely the same. So definitely, please, make spectacles!! :) :) :p

Ruby G. likes this.
  11. Loukiack
    Honeycomb May 17, 2018

Loukiack , May 17, 2018 :
    Ok then...lets discuss my life.First of all i live in Greece. Lots of sun, lots of sea, lots of joy...
    So i ride my motorcycle!A lot!And i want y oneplus with me.I listen to music when i ride.I use my navigator when i ride.And i swim and scubadive...
    1. A motorcycle mount for my oneplus is needed and i want it from ONEPLUS!Prefereble waterproof and sunshaded.
    2. Waterproof case.A good one!We are in a country with sun and good weather uhmmm for about all year. Can you even imagine how many of us are out there doing kite surf, sailing and many many other water sports?
    3. waterproof housing. Yes dear oneplus since you have a great camera i want to use it underwater....My holy grail.Give me that and nothing else!
    4. Screen tempered glass. Sorry i know you have already one but lets face it, it kind of sucks...
    5. An armband so we can all do our gym and listen to our music.
    6. Portable speakers because we party all the time!
    7. A folded keyboard...for writing all this article on my oneplus and not my laptop!:p
    8.A usb type c gaming console cause we play a lot.
    9.A dash charge power bank to give me juice for playing a lot...
    10. Oneplus smartwatch!!!!I know, not quite an accessory but maaaan i want it...
    11. A faraday case.Really you don't worry packed like sardines in metro train with all your credit cards and your smarthone exposed?
    12.Camera lens attachment to enhance even more our oneplus shooting experience
    13.USB OTG flash drive Type C Plug and play not plug and pray please...
    14.Finally i would like to add one more accessory.Wont sell much.Wont increase you capex, but values for corporate social responsibility.A flashing case that will help people with hearing problem to get their notification on time.

Ruby G. likes this.
  12. TobeRobert
    Eclair May 17, 2018

TobeRobert , May 17, 2018 :
    I believe this concept is not new, however, the hardware has not been capable to successfully pull this off until now. 8 gigs of RAM (or 10 gigs is rumored for the Razer 2) starts to put phones into the realm of computers 5 yrs ago. I do see the next generation of cell phones, along with docking stations, will replace laptops. They will eliminate the need for 2 separate systems, and the phones already come equipped with an OS.

As a transitional step, OP could introduce a USB switch/router. At first, the utility will not be apparent to customers. But a little experimenting, by dedicated OP users, can easily find ways to utilize this. For example, The OP6 could be the server to several digital inputs from musical instruments. There are many music editing apps available, and as of now, Android users pretty much have to resign themselves to use Apple's proprietary hardware and licensing.

Another example could be to network a keyboard, mouse, TV, and external hard drive. This would be the most obvious predecessor for a full lap-top like docking station. In addition, this application opens the door to a whole host of other accessories for office use. I know many will say that screen mirroring and Bluetooth can do all this, but I have never found any of those to be very well integrated. It is still choppy and not fluid.

Lastly, the lack of cellular data provider choices (at least in the USA) is a long documented sore spot. If there was a feasible component (such as a hot spot) that could fix this, I trust OP would have found it by now. Of the networks that can accommodate OP users (T-Mobile, AT&T, etc) none of them really appreciate any customer who buys a device outside of their stores. I say this through much personal experience. I do believe it is time for OP to discuss strategy to entering the 4GLTE service provider market. But how to do this, is way beyond my vision. :/

Ruby G. likes this.
  13. Kamila Michalak
    Donut May 18, 2018

Kamila Michalak , May 18, 2018 :
    Sports gear! And I don't mean a football with the OnePlus logo on it (but it could be nice, too).
    I'm a person who loves my routine, especially when it comes to my weekly runs. Friday, Saturday, Sunday are the must-run days. Always. Despite the weather, time of the year or even my mood. Running keeps us fit, gives the positive kick for the rest of the day or helps to clear mind after tough day. However, it doesn't work like it should be working, when you have to deal with the annoying sports accessories instead of enjoying the run.

How to break 50 mins in a 10k run, when you need to stop to put your armband holding the mobile in the right place again?! And again?!? And again?! Or have you ever had to stop during the run and take your device out from the armband that is simply too small and scratches the edges of your precious OnePlus as badly as you want to cry?! Or have you ever tried to run with your mobile attached to your waist and not to feel like a kangaroo with “a baby in a bag"?

All the above boxes ticked and believe me I need your help!

I don't think I expect a lot. Just a simple OnePlus sport holder. Ideally an armband. Made of a high quality materials (must be waterproof). The one that will stay where it should with every km I run. Easy to open and access the phone, but holding my device properly secured when I'm off running. Perfectly fitted – it’s all about the right size. In a nice (one and only black) colour.

I don’t want to be boring, as it’s not all about running. My second idea would be a holder for a bicycle! It’s probably hard to believe because of the weather we have in London, but we use our bicycles all the year round and having an easy access to the mobile when cycling would be a life saver in many situations. “Call an ambulance” or “where’s the nearest bike service?”, can you feel it?

I can already imagine my new quality training when I don't have to look for a bin to throw away my armband halfway through the run…

#NeverSettle

p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 115%; }

Ruby G. likes this.
  14. midifire
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 20, 2018

15. xconan
    Eclair May 28, 2018

xconan , May 28, 2018 :
    I think a simple issue that I have not seen addressed is the casing alternatives for Oneplus 6. Lots of people drive and have been using magnets to attach their phone to the magnet holders. I would like to see Oneplus 6 case option with an option for a metal backing for magnet holders and also options for ring holder attachment integration.

16. xconan
    Eclair May 28, 2018

xconan , May 28, 2018 :
    Also for screens, I would like to see an option for privacy screens using 9H tempered glass. One of the issues has always been clarity with privacy screens as some of them make the screen dark and others have polarized striping. I think 3M privacy screens that don't have striping issues but still effective for privacy and doesn't make the screen dark.

17. R1527099371129
    Cupcake May 29, 2018

18. RENOLDMARSHEL
    Donut May 30, 2018

19. Joel B
    Honeycomb Jun 1, 2018

Joel B , Jun 1, 2018 :
    I want more internet of things stuff (well I want allot but I know it will take long before you guys make all of it)

I know many other many other manufactures already make smart devices but I don’t know why oneplus doesn’t try putting their own spin on it, and of course oneplus style, best value for the buck.

So a hub that would be the brains of it all controlling and stuff manufactured by oneplus and compatible devices. And that hub being able to be controlled by an app so we could control all of our devices from far away. Also making some ways of making “dumb” devices smart, making them being able to connect with the hub and because of this able to be turned on or off( or just even capable to check if you turned stuff off remotely, helping people who worry about leaving the house while not turning off their furnace or electrical devices). Yea, I just basically want to create my own smart-home without having to look for every single device what company makes the best version of it and then to hope it’s somehow compatible with the rest, or that I would need 3-4 eco-systems to run it. But if you guys make it, please do make it compatible with other systems, keeping up with the oneplus style of not putting your consumers stuck with only one operating system like you do with your phones!

Other smart devices could include a variation of the tyles, that you could put on your keychain and on your dog, car, etc, making us capable to find them back if they’re ever lost/ stolen. Smart lamps that you could turn on via wifi/ motion, and or have some kind of wireless charging capability (I know for now you guys don’t do wireless charging so maybe also create a case with a coil inside or IF receiver that would make that possible) Smart sockets that could be plugged in the existing ones, (who would include a dash charging port, although this last part might not be the best idea, since the style of a socket isn’t going to change fast, but I image that dash charging connector might change in the future)

And once you guys have a proper amount of devices just start selling a starter kit including all of the above including maybe some other sensors(smoke motion, security )

So yes all these devices already exist or are in there prototype phase, but I honestly believe that you guys could easily take over if you make it just as good or better, while still being secure and cheap, oneplus style.

something completely unrelated: a dash-powerbank: you know what I mean, I want a powerbank with dash charging capability

some great headphones with aptx HD technology and the latest bluetooth version :D

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018

Ruby G. likes this.
  20. MarshaNwic
    Cupcake Jun 29, 2018

MarshaNwic , Jun 29, 2018 :
    I'm getting the One Plus 6 soon, but I'm looking for a Slim and Transparent (clear) bumper case and a screen protector.
    Send some links :)