[Let's Talk] Loyalty to tech companies

1. kuverti
    Gingerbread Jul 17, 2018

kuverti , Jul 17, 2018 :
    Is there such a thing as loyalty to tech companies?

Now the first thing on everyone’s mind of right now is probably Apple. They’ve managed to create a whole ecosystem of products and in the process created a fanbase that will stand in line for hours to get the new version of a product. But we must remember that majority of all these Apple fanboys (and fangirls of course) were using a Windows OS or an Android phone before they switched to Apple. Even OnePlus has a dedicated fanbase. Loyal users with OnePlus gear and accessories, but what if tomorrow Samsung or any other brand decides to drop their prices and become a direct competitor to OnePlus?

Having a loyal fanbase is something every Marketing Manager dreams of but knows that they must keep up with the hype because, in the end, we might be loyal to our network provider ... but only until a better offer comes up.

So what are your thoughts on this topic? Do you consider yourself to be loyal to any tech companies and if so, to which ones?

Mjo, Venky61, SJBoss and 4 others like this.
  2. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Jul 17, 2018

The1Lion , Jul 17, 2018 :
    I think it will all depend on a users experience. If you had and issue and it wasn't dealt with to your satisfaction then you're not going to be happy with the company. If however you feel like the company just meets your expectations then again you may not be too loyal to that company. But if a company seems to care about you as a customer and goes beyond just the expected service, then you are most likely to return. For instance, I have an app for a local sandwich store near where I work and was sent a promo for a sandwich that I thought read you get for a $1 so of course jumped on that deal - just to find out I was charged regular price. When I contacted them to ask about it, I noticed the promo actually was referring to getting a drink for a $1 with purchase of the sandwich - just some marketing wording that got a bit to "clever" perhaps causing the confusion unless you read it more than once (also would of helped if they showed the drink and not the sandwich). So it was my mistake for not carefully reading the promo but they still gave me credit for a free sandwich. That made me feel good but of course they recently had another promo to receive a free ice cream sandwich with purchase and completely screwed up my "ice cream" sandwich with was more like two cookies with perhaps a teaspoon of ice cream squished between them :rolleyes: So just as easy as it is to win someone over, you can just as easily lose that person ;)

pa5t1s, Nick 59, wangsihan135 and 4 others like this.
  3. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jul 18, 2018

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Jul 18, 2018 :
    To be honest, there is no such thing as ''Loyalty" in this area. This is pure business transaction between a company and a customer, and will remain so as long as the customer doesn't see a better deal or value in a competing product.

I would instead say that the so called loyalty is basically a manifestation of users locked into an ecosystem.

Within the Apple community, a large section of users who haven't have had first hand experience of a flagship Android device believe Android devices turn laggy within the first few months of use, don't get security updates and there is a poor track record of after sales service. Many of them refuse to believe that Android devices can be extremely good too, and even faster than Apple in many respects. This is exactly similar to how a very large section of Android users have an opinion about Apple devices without having a first hand experience.

OnePlus community members go one step ahead. They believe they are doing the company a favour by buying it's products and the company and its owners owe them something beyond the product. Tomorrow if OnePlus makes a bogus device, or if a competitor brings in a better device or a better deal, people will move on. Not that there is anything wrong with that, because the reality is this is a pure business relationship.

So the so called 'loyalty' is in reality driven purely by monetary considerations, irrespective of what one thinks.

4. johneebee
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jul 22, 2018

johneebee , Jul 22, 2018 :
    Is there such a thing as loyalty to tech companies?

Easy answer is yes of course. We all have that one friend who always buys the newest phone from a specific company and has to have it and will get frustrated if you tell them that something better exists because in their mind only that company is capable of making the best phones.

To me whenever I hear people talk like that I have to bite my tongue not to start explaining them otherwise, because I know it usually is just a waste of time. Brand loyalty is awesome for a company but for a consumer it's just a horrible thing! The fact that for example for phone companies you have a great deal of choices of companies to choose from is awesome because it forces companies to compete and to give us consumers the best phone (for the price). But for companies who have a huge fanbase of people who are almost just "stuck" in their eco-system this brand loyalty has a big negative effect, making them be allot less creative and daring and it lets them slowly higher the price because they know most of their user base isn't going to leave them.

This is one of the reasons why I feel Oneplus is doing so good. They aren't to big yet, and they actually started their company and their slogan "never settle" with the thought in mind that they couldn't find another company who came up with their dream phone with all the features included while yet not being overpriced. And I really hope they won't drop this mentality because yes, they might not "convert" all the big fanboys who are really loyal to their brand, but it will make people who actually do some research and want the best they can get at that time for their money, go for their products as long as they indeed come up with the best products for us consumers for a reasonable price.

In the end there is only one positive thing that comes out of brand loyalty for the consumer and that's convenience (and that all your devices are in the same eco-system and work well together, but you can still use the best group of products that work together without being blindly loyal to one company).

By the way, I concentrated mostly on tech companies, but the same goes for big chain/brand coffee places, clothing stores and so on, just asking way to much money, while you might find some better products for less money in other usually smaller less known stores. And people being blindly loyal to these kinds of stores just hurt the consumers wallet in general. So the best thing we can keep doing as consumers is to vote with our wallets for the best quality for the best price to affect the market and motivate companies like Oneplus to give us just that!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018

kuverti, cdnfarmer and Ruby G. like this.
  5. Punk_69
    Lollipop Jul 22, 2018

Punk_69 , Jul 22, 2018 :
    I'm not a fanboy ... But yes I think I'll stick with OnePlus for a long time

Bouncer71, pa5t1s and Johan Notte like this.
  6. OneByOneTwo
    Froyo Jul 22, 2018

OneByOneTwo , Jul 22, 2018 :
    No. It all depends on factors of a phone and impressions of it when you buy a phone. What all matters is how good and efficient is the phone, and what do you want to get out of the phone. Not every phone is perfect. Only when sometimes, some users get stuck in the Apple Ecosystem, making them unable to switch to other operating systems, to other brands.

7. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Jul 22, 2018

Dresa91 , Jul 22, 2018 :
    Well, I think it depends.
    For me:
    I am loyal to a company, if all factors are right. Support, service, price, functions, etc.
    I mean you can be loyal to a company like you are a fan in sports.
    Why not? If you like a company or a brand and the company does every to fulfill your requirements, why don't you stay??

8. Akhshay Srinivasan
    Nougat Jul 23, 2018

Akhshay Srinivasan , Jul 23, 2018 :
    Good topic expect this to be exaggerated more.

Being loyal to our a tech co. is something like air inside the balloon. In this competitive world, people look into only their recognition, hike in their pay,etc....

But, there are few who really think of being loyal to their employer and that's why they are called "Gentlemen" !

Only being Royalty speaks today than Loyalty.

Venky61 likes this.
  9. BobbyV8_
    The Showcase Reviewer Jul 23, 2018

BobbyV8_ , Jul 23, 2018 :
    As per me, being loyal to a tech company is like sitting on a grenade with the pin off.

Your topic translates more into are you a fan boy, if so for which company. As the technology advances, it's all about who delivers what you need in your budget. This primarily has to go by 5 stages.

1. Technical - Is the technology needed available.
      • eg:- I'm not comfortable with back fps. So I either need it in the front or under display. It doesn't make sense to stick with a company even with discomfort. Even if Vivo offers me in-display fps I wouldn't go for it as the tech is still in testing phase.
    2. Financial - Is the product financially in your budget, how much would you be incurring on it's maintenance.
      • eg:- Even if affordable, I don't set huge budgets for my mobiles and the iShit is out of league.
    3. Time - Is the offering in line with the latest technology / the tech timeline you need.
      • eg:- It doesn't make sense to buy SD820 device in 2018 and call it a flagship, times changed and you get SD845.
    4. Operational - How comfortable are you with what you bought.
      • eg:- Purchase a 4.5 incher where you'd need 6 incher for your daily deeds.
    5. Behavioural - What change did the new tech bring in your life.
      • eg:- You buy a smartphone and use it just for calls, do you really need it? No! You need value addition.
    Over these 5 factors comes the design, look, feel, brand value. Did you notice where brand value kicked in? At the end of the list.

So that sums it up and I can say I'm not loyal to a brand or people behind it. I'm with a company as long as they deliver what they need. This isn't restricted to the products but how responsible the company is towards it's commitments.

Yet, I can say I'm impressed by two companies in the mobile industry - HTC & OnePlus. HTC is an overall package while OnePlus is still struggling to give me a reason to ditch HTC.

NeVeR_SeTTLe likes this.
  10. NeVeR_SeTTLe
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jul 23, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe , Jul 23, 2018 :
    I'll put my answer short and sweet yet powerful and striking - As I see the world and people - we love to have the most "popular" things. There is a "Fan base" of Apple & Samsung (the huge hitters) and probably there are fans for every cellphone out there.
    As for me - I am loyal to no brand. I see which tech companies offer the right bang for the buck, which devices are great, the companies decisions and everything else. I take these into considerations. Some of the people out there will pay 1000 dollars for an iphone which does exactly the same thing as any other phone out there except their OS. So why should I spend 1000 dollars for a phone where I can get another great telephone for cheaper - better build quality, better specs, better camera, etc. Of course, compromises are on all phones and no phone is perfect. If I would be loyal to a tech company, my eyes would be closed and not open which would make it hard to see their negatives.
    Go ONEPLUS! (JUST KIDDING)

11. bart877ie
    Honeycomb Jul 23, 2018

bart877ie , Jul 23, 2018 :
    Loyalty to Tech company

“If put to the pinch, an ounce of loyalty is worth a pound of cleverness.”

E.H

In my opinion ONEPLUS is just edging on the balance, it managed to recover from the failure of OPx and OP2 fiasco leaving a great number of users behind but with cleverly designed Op3 and OP3T it incurred new wave of followers.

My self I was one of the holders of OnePlus X in my household and my better half was a happy user of this phone, where I was using OnePlus 1. It bit funny to see that her’s more recent phone has ended receiving updates in Nov 2016, wheres my OPO was still going thru Lineagechannels and even that CY was shut down.

Later I have acquired OP3T and I could see so many similarities to OPX in terms of footprint design, layout and most importantly software. We were so surprised. It almost let me to believe that OP released OPX just to experiment with AMOLED screen and Oxygen OS

OP was strongly focusing on community feedback received for OP3/T and was swiftly answering questions and fixing bugs for current flagship, leaving frustrated Op2 and OPx users behind, applying almost total radio silence on those devices. It was a very ignorant and stubborn approach by such a young tech company.

There was still no transparent word on the website for how long new phones are going to be supported. Soon later the OP5 was released and Op5T and understanbly a lot of OP3 and OP3t users where worrying if they will soon share the same ignorance as OP2 and OPX customers. However, OP reflected themself and announced software maintenance schedule for OP3/T and 5/5T versions. Plan was very vague initially however after OP6 was released the more structured timeline was introduced.

From my perspective I can clearly see that OP have taken a good lesson from their mistake, this will definitely help me to stay loyal to the brand when selecting the next flagship and similar approach was taken by my wife, as she has decided to buy Op6 silk white even doh her OPX experience had nothing to do with Never Settle slogan.

Hopefully this time she will be more lucky as there are many similarities for example OPX was glass phone, and was numbered as E1003, hers Op6 i also glass and has A6003 number. Lets not jinxed.

12. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jul 23, 2018

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Jul 23, 2018 :
    We love to have the most “unique” or “exclusive” things. Popularity happens when a product offers Bang for the buck. Not because people love the product.

Due to poor quality and after sales offered by Android OEMs in the initial days, and the fact that Apple always laid maximum emphasis on quality, security and after sales right from day 1, Apple managed to create a very strong foundation of reliability from day 1.

To date, Apple devices don’t support Bluetooth connectivity with non-Apple devices. Obviously they have the tech to make that possible.

While the Apple devices do exactly what their Android counterparts do, may be less, they continue to sell at high prices due to the importance given to security (and recover expenses incurred in maintaining that image).

Akhshay Srinivasan likes this.
  13. NeVeR_SeTTLe

A product happens to be popular when a tech company throws in the users faces commercials and advertisements to sway the users into thinking that the product has some "special" features that other phones or tech doesn't have. A product becomes popular when you see the ratings on the web and on other sources sky rocket. By offering a bang for the buck, not necessarily "most" people see this as popular. Apple gives a one year warranty on their Apple Products while Android gives 2 year warranty. How is that strong after sales support? I wouldn't want to buy a phone with only 1 year support for 1000 dollars... would you? Security? Still debatable. Android has improved their security a lot. I haven't experienced any security issues with Android at all, no viruses, no malware, no hackers, nothing. I guess security is good. Quality? You are talking about the bendgate affair where the phones bend... right? Also, you are talking about the touch disease on iphones 6/6 plus 6s/6s plus too, correct? Apple products are not quality and if someone is paying 1000 USD for a phone, than that person is either A.) Rich and doesn't know what to do with his/her money or B.) Fanboy/Fangirl.

14. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jul 23, 2018

Popularity - I am saying this happens when a product offers best value for money, or best specs/ features. People don’t ‘love’ to have a popular product as such. Human psychology makes people want to have “exclusive” products, not popular ones.

Apple devices - they have had their share of issues, both hardware and software. That doesn’t mean the products are of lower quality. To put that in perspective, you need a relative comparison with Android devices.

As with warranty, i don’t have data on how many users have made warranty claims. But the general news in the market is excellent after sales relationship. Which Android OEMs offer 2 years warranty? 5 years of software updates - name any one Android OEM offering that.

I too never had any malware issues with any of my Android devices. And I am not saying Android devices are risky. But the fact is Android allows you to do much more with your device. Install apps from unknown sources - those who don’t understand the implications, might just install something thinking enabling unknown sources is just a ‘normal’ step involved. And that’s where problems begin. Also, Google Play Store app validation process isn’t as stringent as the one on Apple AppStore.

Both your points A and B are incorrect.
    Just as with Android community, a lot of members within the Apple community have a low opinion about Android devices. Also, many of them have already spent a lot of money on accessories, apps, services, etc and are ‘locked’ into that ecosystem. All these are in addition to the fact that most users are actually very happy and satisfied with their devices. So that explains repeat purchase.

My iPhone is 21 months old now. I have never formatted/ factory reset it. And look at this:

4FD136C8-5C1E-4181-8AC6-93BC6B40658F.jpeg

Here are the battery stats:

A4CF6827-67A6-4313-BA92-D907101291E6.png

179020C1-DB57-4627-9310-E7289D832B6B.png

337 applications. Never factory reset. Runs just as smooth as on day 1. Great battery life too. Why shouldn’t I be satisfied/ impressed?

15. Akhshay Srinivasan
    Nougat Jul 23, 2018

You're right in your angle but shouldn't we also consider it's storage capacity ? Your ROM is linked with battery life and it's efficiency. It's after 11.4.1 patch the battery life of iPhones are tolerable.

And 26% for a single day isn't a great deal for any android devices too. Everything depends on the processor and it's chip being 845 SoC and A11 which tends to support the battery life.

16. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jul 23, 2018

battery life has never been an issue for me on my iPhone. but how is that linked to storage capacity?

26%? what is that number?

did you check the standby? over 3 days already, and I can easily get a day more. or another couple of hours of SOT with over 3 days standby. all this with 337 apps on board. this is remarkable indeed.

17. NeVeR_SeTTLe

You are wrong here my friend. Little of the population on Earth looks for best value for money/specs/features. Look at the popularity of the iPhone. Do they have the best value for money in regards to specs/features? No. Apple is the most expensive of all the phones (well there are others who are less popular and are more expensive then an iPhone) but we are here talking about popularity.

As with every device there are hardware/software issues. Don't tell me that iPhones are quality. They have used the same material as any other phones. What makes them special? Nothing. The iPhone X is glass (I think majority are glass nowadays). Anyways, why would I pay 1000 dollars for an iPhone that is made out of the same material as others? Is it from an indestructible material made that when the iPhone hits the cement on it's back it doesn't put 1 dent in it? No. So the question remains, why should I pay such a high price?

OnePlus, Samsung, HTC, Motorolla, etc. offers 2 years warranty here in Europe. The iPhone offers here 1 year warranty. Regarding the 5 years of software updates, yea that is true with iPhones but why do I need it on my Android? Many people are aching to receive updates - because of security or because they want the latest greatest - fine... but I don't know what is so special about updates. If I want constant updates I would go with Custom ROM's and boom I got it.

Install apps from unknown sources is ticked off as default. So the normal user, newbie or any other user who hasn't have any general knowledge will not tick this on. Plus, if they do, it warns you that you might be less secure, so there is that. The only people who tick it are people who know what they are doing. I agree that Google Play Store hasn't a strict validation process and they need to improve this.

Money spend on accessories is so low that you can switch to any accessory if you buy another phone - case / tempered glass are the main ones... but other accessories too are popular. Apps and services - 90% of apps on Google Play are in Apple Store / Services - If you have a subscription or any other service, then you can easily just sign in. The users are not "locked" to an ecosystem if they don't want to... they can switch - that is why we have freedom to choose!

My girlfriends OnePlus 2 (which was a bad phone overall) is 3.5 years and she never formatted/factory reset it because her phone works and doesn't even slow down and she has almost 250 apps as she is an app geek lover. *Sigh* My OnePlus 3T is 1.5 year old and running smoothly with no hiccups. Had also an HTC M7 and never formatted that baby and had it for 3 years. My friends have Apple and some of them say it slows down as hell after updates. They had to factory reset it and not install any update in order for their phone to be fast. Plus, didn't you hear that Apple slowed down their phones? Hello??

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018

18. Akhshay Srinivasan
    Nougat Jul 23, 2018

26 or 22% it was just a stat. And why not ? If your phone's (any device) storage is more in size the more will be your battery level just because you've more space to store your stuffs which in turn doesn't suck the battery's life.

How was your battery before 11.4.1 upgrade or when iOS 11 came to the market ?

To generalize, be it even windows devices, battery life starts and ends up with the size of apps we use, the SoC which is being built for the hardware ( I think you hold iPhone 7 plus), the softwares pushed by the devs.

19. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jul 23, 2018

You are wrong bro. Everyone looks for best value/ specs, depending on budget. If you have the budget, you look for specs, and if you have a tight budget, you look for value. Since "exclusivity" is also expensive, most people don't even consider it, although they would love to. Why does art sell? And at such prices? Exclusivity is the answer. Those who can afford it, go for it. Same reason why Vertu and similar companies enter that kind of a business model. Apple devices aren't the most popular, in general. They are most popular among the premium devices.

You are limiting your argument from durability point of view alone. Don't forget the internal components like processor. We know how the A11 decimated competition.

The custom ROM community is a very small % of the user base. I would easily guess less than 10%, or much lower. So updates are extremely important, especially security patches. Also new features are eagerly looked forward to. You can't understate it's importance of relevance.

Apple doesn't even give you such options. So +1 from security standpoint.

Apple accessories are expensive. What are you saying. Apps are expensive too. Sometimes very expensive. Plus if you also have a family of devices, then getting out, especially for the normal user, is a tough decision to make.

I think that would make for an entry into guiness book of world records. You can submit your application. :)

I think it was the older devices that had a perceptible slowdown. Yes they slowed down the devices - shouldn't have done that without being transparent.

20. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jul 23, 2018

iOS has (had) a bug. I often found the battery stats showing a blank entry. I am not sure if they fixed that with 11.4.1.

I usually charge my iPhone once in 2 or 3 days with normal use. that's why I said didn't notice any problem.