[Let's Talk] Loyalty to tech companies

1. Akhshay Srinivasan
    Nougat Jul 23, 2018

Akhshay Srinivasan , Jul 23, 2018 :
    Well, I've seen arguments heated up but this has really made me to scratch my head :tearsofjoy:
    Cook and Pichai themselves aren't that competitive enough with their respective brands.

@NeVeR_SeTTLe and @Sridhar Ananthanarayanan the court is adjourned now (dot).

2. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jul 23, 2018

Dunnow , Jul 23, 2018 :
    Imma enter this discussion late, and without having read the whole thread, but lemme give my 5 cents on some points.

I do not fully agree there. xiaomi phones, or OPPO ones, are not really well known in europe and those might be the most bang for buck ever. OnePlus had only the One on that category.

In fact, seeing "cheap" phones, I immediately think what a bullshit device. Just as laptops that are not at the level of ROG, TV's that are not at the level of LG (yeah, I said it, best TV's are from LG).

A phone costing 400€ cannot be good on the eyes of the average consumer that wants the best, even less when it sits next to the 800€ of an iPhone or Galaxy phone.

I do mostly agree with this point tho.

It's not like they have the tech, everyone has it, they follow 0 standards. People look me weird when I say their iPhones are shit because cannot hold apps on the background, or send me a single picture through BT. Or use a standard cable everyone else has...

Deffinetly not. Like, not a chance. Tho. I will agree, there's A LOT more HW for the iPhones than for Android ones.

That is true, spam something long enough for people to buy it, to start the snowball effect. The more people has it, the more people wants in.

That would only work for enthusiasts tho. Half my family comes to me regarding phones and the other half are retards that wanted an iPhone because "it takes nicer pictures" ... BULLSHIT, it just takes better pictures than your shitty 120€ device. But iPhones are far from good picture quality... specially on the color department. But they still have that image of quality over the rest, because fanboyism generates that.

As said above, most will end up relating it to "cheap chinese crap"

If any, ANY, electronic product does not give me 2 years warrant, they will be getting Spain's consumer rights big ol d**k on their a**es...

Good to be in a place were consumers actually do get some nice rights.

Security on iOS is a joke, it's just that does not get spammed everywhere as Android ones. Mostly because they manage to fix things for most of their devices out there fast. Cant wait for project Treble to be mandatory and forced on OEM's.

Can't wait until Google updates directly and not even go through the OEM services. Just push security patches.

Or C, they just follow the rest. Which I believe is most of them. Many people I know with iPhones they don't even use the apple ecosystem, they just have one because the rest of the world has one. Curious enough, and iPhone is an iPhone but the rest of the 86% devices out there that are not, are "different", if Android ment one single device (or a few variants) I'm sure everyone would want Androids, because then we would have the same as iPhones have "it's an iPhone", instead of "it's a galaxy s2, s3, s4,s5 note, a huawei mate, pate poto pata...

Not a chance. That happens when the popular girl in school gets one device and the other 300 follow her. That happens when a youtuber has 1.2 million subs and goes arround saying either brand A or B is good. You sell an idea. People that pay 900€ for a Galaxy are not paying for their features, hell, most people just want the Galaxy because it's considered one of the best Android out there. Even tho there's SO many haters in this forums saying the opposite. @malidan will shut them up tho.

People WANT the popular product and they do not even know why. A clear example would be my cousin, who got a nice iPhone 8+ gold just because it's what her friends had. And well, it was an upgrade from a 16gb OnePlus one with cracked screen. People just want what the "class" gives them. Somehow apple products have positioned themselves as high class products, therefore, everyone wants them, because the rest are not at their level. Even when they are forced to use a restrictive OS.

Took 5 minutes for my cousin using her iphone to complain about how many less features she had. People do not know you cannot send a picture over BT to anyone on iPhones. they just assume they would be able. Then oops.
    Same with using dropbox, mega, google photos or other services... "but wait, why do I have still 1000 pictures to upload?" well... next time check if the phone allows for background processes or not... People LOVE any popular product, just because.

Nope. People want popular ones. That's why every blond stupid girl wants a Jeep that they cannot even park.

In my country, and most of europe, every single one of them.

Not 5 years, but 3 is not that uncommon.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018

pa5t1s and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  3. Dunnow

Dunnow , Jul 23, 2018 :
    That is the falsest statement ever written on this forum.

ONLY people who are into tech do that. And that is SUCH an small number on the surface of this planet that can be neglected. This does not go on phones. Not a chance. Maybe would go for bikes, cars, computer parts... phones? nope.

4. malidan
    Marshmallow Jul 23, 2018

malidan , Jul 23, 2018 :
    The following devices are included in the third batch, and are expected to receive the Public Beta ROM in early August 2018:

Screenshot_20180723-204830_Samsung Internet.jpg
    :D

5. NeVeR_SeTTLe

Dunnow, pa5t1s and malidan like this.
  6. malidan
    Marshmallow Jul 24, 2018

malidan , Jul 24, 2018 :
    You know me, where there is trouble I'm not too far away.
    Seriously after nearly 8 wks of continuous sun in the UK and the World Cup, I have been enjoying all the sights that these events will bring.;)

7. MentalDraco
    Marshmallow Jul 24, 2018

MentalDraco , Jul 24, 2018 :
    Brand loyalty is heavily present.

Just from my family and friends I know people that use a iPhone just because it's a iPhone, they did not look at specs, camera, or anything just at the brand, and that was enough.

The opposite is also true, I know people that never used a iPhone but hate it fanatically.

Is this good, is it bad?

Probably both, but if you are able to keep a user base and please the shareholders that is all that matters.

Even OP is bending over to include stuff like selfie camera portrait mode, not that it would be that useful, but it's a popular feature, and the masses want to have it.Before it was the dual camera, and that did not help much now did it? Now AI is the trend.

NeVeR_SeTTLe likes this.
  8. brian.sedore
    Honeycomb Jul 28, 2018

brian.sedore , Jul 28, 2018 :
    Bite your thong?! Get outta here. Gotta love autocorrect.

pa5t1s, johneebee and toastytoast1234 like this.
  9. toastytoast1234
    Marshmallow Jul 28, 2018

toastytoast1234 , Jul 28, 2018 :
    I'm pretty sure that @malidan has been known to bite a thong or two. That being said, in between frothing at the mouth about random shit he generally has a good point to make.

pa5t1s, malidan and johneebee like this.
  10. johneebee
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jul 28, 2018

johneebee , Jul 28, 2018 :
    oh god no.. fingers whyyyy... I trusted you ...*shaaaame* :oops:
    thanks for quoting me so that editing won't even hide my mistake xD

luigimario likes this.
  11. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Aug 1, 2018

luigimario , Aug 1, 2018 :
    I'd like to think I have a certain amount of brand loyalty, whether it's to a tech company or any other product. That being said, I am also a price sensitive consumer and I will only stay loyal to a company as long as they provide value.

My first and second android phones were both HTC. I had the original Desire and the HTC One M7. Both were flagships at a reasonable price and I was really happy with them. HTC got way too expensive and that's what led me to my OP3. I'm still really happy with it and with OnePlus overall. When I go to upgrade in another year or so I really want to stick with OnePlus but the OP6 has priced me out of their product line. The most I've ever paid for a phone is $600 CDN, so if the OP7 has another price increase I'll have to look elsewhere, even though I love OnePlus.

I suppose you could say that I'm not Apple loyal then. I will definitely support a brand, but I need something in return, value. I won't stand for being taken advantage of just so the company can increase profits (which I understand are necessary to expand and grow), or so the executives can line their pockets (not what I perceive with OnePlus).

My hope is that OnePlus gives another try at an expanded phone line. It didn't work out with the OP2 and OPX but I think they will have learned from their mistakes and will be able to carry a flagship and a budget phone at the same time. I'd be ok with reduced specs if I could keep everything else that comes with OnePlus. The community, the service standard, the commitment to updates, the ease of use/software, and support from developers.

pa5t1s likes this.
  12. pa5t1s
    User of the Year 2014 Aug 1, 2018

pa5t1s , Aug 1, 2018 :
    You can remain loyal to a tech company until its product(s) remain(s) within your range of acceptabilty, either on quality, maintenance, price (the 'objective' and 'material' criteria) and on its perception and commitment to its clients (the subjective and psychological criteria).
    Being a fanboy doesn't help : you don't owe the company anything but the company needs you (your money, basically) to survive.

TheMadKing likes this.
  13. TheMadKing
    Froyo Aug 1, 2018

TheMadKing , Aug 1, 2018 :
    This is a pretty good question. It's true that most people will look for the best value for their money, but I also think that your personal feelings for the company, and the entire customer experience, also matter.

Of course, people will not buy horrible products just because of their brand, but if you love a certain company - many people will be loyal to it and will be more willing to overlook small issues, or will choose products of that company when comparing them to similar products.

pa5t1s likes this.
  14. KeepTransisting
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Aug 1, 2018

KeepTransisting , Aug 1, 2018 :
    A company can re-earn my business by being beneficial to me, the customer, but I'll be damned if a company gets my loyalty. They are, after all, in the business of making money, so if they do something that I don't like, I'll be taking my money elsewhere.

pa5t1s likes this.
  15. pa5t1s
    User of the Year 2014 Aug 2, 2018

pa5t1s , Aug 2, 2018 :
    But where is @kuverti ? Hey, you started a thread, add some comments ! :D
    Things are derailing : all tech companies are not phones companies !
    Think about your watch, your car or your fridge: are you loyal to their brand ?

16. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Aug 5, 2018

Venky61 , Aug 5, 2018 :
    To be very frank. NO. I am not loyal to any Tech company. I would chose the product that offers me the best for the money I pay. I sure would have a soft corner towards a company that has provided me a better product in the earlier and it would let me give them a chance if required, but would not blindly follow the company because am a fan. And In my opinion for any company's long run its better to have a smart consumer than a dumb loyalist. The loyalty trend would have worked 5 years back when the competition was less, but now the digital awareness of every consumer has increased and they want the best for the price they pay. This would make the company to keep a double check about the quality of their products and not take followers/fans for granted.
    At the same time am against digging mud on a company for the mistake they do. Every company has to be given a chance for learning from mistakes. Politely let the company know about the mistake and leave it to them. If they are wise, they wont repeat. If they do, they would end up like HTC/SONY.
    There are some factors/features that can keep users stick to one single company. Example: Eco system, Keypad, SPen
    Now Apple has a fanbase or loyal users because of the Eco System they have been accustomed to. And if android can provide such stability, then many Apple users would turn to android. But first android should reach such optimization and the apple users should come to believe that it did. Similarly a user who loves physical keyboard would always prefer a blackberry if they provide a decent smartphone. A multi tasker who loves S pen would always go for Note series even if they don't top the charts as other phones.
    So rather than making a loyal fan base its better to make a solid phone/device that will make everyone go for it. :)

17. kuverti
    Gingerbread Aug 6, 2018

kuverti , Aug 6, 2018 :
    Have been away for the holiday and it seems I missed the whole conversation.

I agree with a lot of points. I think some brands, as Apple will rely on their fanbase loyalty at every product lunch. On the free advertising that reports every year about long lines and sleeping in front of the store. And it seems it is working… recently Apple crossed 1 trillion at market cap and a lot of this is due to tech loyalty of its users. It is just popular, some people hate it, some love it, but you can’t deny its success.

Looking at phones. Yes, there will always be a debate over whether Android or iOS is superior… who does it better. However, what I found is that some people will always go for a premium experience – a phone that will show their status or for it to fit in the social/economic environment, while many others – myself included, will always look for the best value for money and decide from there.

I also agree that usually if you had no problems with one company, received great customer support or were just impressed with the product, you will be more inclined to buy another one from their line of products – hence tech loyalty. But as many of you already mentioned, a small issue with only one experience and you might never look at that company again.

Personally, I think I am a fan of OnePlus. Hopped on the Never Settle hype train ever since the OP1 release. I like what they are doing and with one phone I did own – OnePlus 2, I had no major issues. I even took part at one of the Open Ears Forum and am still using OP headphones and backpack. But I am not loyal to the company. I have been carrying Redmi 4 ever since I broke OnePlus, not because I don’t like any of their new products, but because it was cheaper and at that moment it was not necessary for me to own a high-end flagship phone.

All in all, if your products, marketing and service are on point you will start to gather a small following, a community, that follow the company and look forward to every new product lunch. This will usually come with “loyalty”, but in the end, it will always come down to each individual.