[Let's Talk] Mental Health - What has been your experience?

1. Louioo Honeycomb Jul 26, 2018

Louioo, Jul 26, 2018 :
    Incredible. I am so sorry for your losses, I am not sure how I would cope in that situation. It is pleasing to hear that your company are 'hot' on the values of mental health and can offer you the support needed. I wish more companies put a stronger focus on this and like you say, it is making you feel that little bit more positive. I like your finishing points, about hoping it will help others to speak out as this is the main reason I wanted to create a post about mental health - to give others the platform to speak out on a platform that isn't too intrusive, but just posting a message can help so much! Thanks for sharing and wishing you all the best :)

jonesyriffic and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  2. Bobbie63 Lollipop Jul 26, 2018

Bobbie63, Jul 26, 2018 :
    Everyone has his/her "demons" , important is to recognize them first. After recognizing them you can start the battle to conquer them, how small or big they are. For some it's a short road, others have long battles ahead of them.

Sun90 and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  3. NeVeR_SeTTLe The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jul 26, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe, Jul 26, 2018 :
    Amen to that brother ;)

Sun90 and Bobbie63 like this.
  4. luigimario The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Aug 1, 2018

luigimario, Aug 1, 2018 :
    Great topic, I'd like to share as well.

I used to think that people with mental health issues were just weak or I don't know what. But now I understand better that it's an unfortunate affliction that you can't control and only work on making better. I suffered from mild depression for the last 20 years and didn't know until a couple years ago when it got a lot worse and finally started exploring possible causes for feeling how I did.

Since I hit puberty (around 12 or 13) I became fatigued all the time and somewhat apathetic. I quit all the sports I was in and didn't really have any motivation for school or career aspirations. I just skated by in school with minimal effort and still got decent grades so I didn't try any harder and went to college for cooking and started working in the restaurant industry. The fatigue was pretty bad because even if I got 8 hours of sleep I still felt like I had only slept 3 or 4 hours, and I even dozed off while driving a couple times.

My doctor couldn't provide any insight over the years so I just kind of accepted it. After a few years working as a cook I decided that it wasn't for me and fortunately I had the motivation to go back to university and get a degree so I could get a better job.

About a year after finishing school and getting a stable office job is when my depression really hit. It affected all aspects of my life. I was apathetic about work (didn't want to do anything and didn't care if I did it properly or not), I became paranoid that people were against me, I developed a germ phobia, I was so tired all the time that I couldn't stay awake in meetings at work, and I even considered how easy it would be to end my life and the suffering, though fortunately I never considered it seriously or attempted it. I was also very short-tempered and I mostly took it out on my parents, which I really regret but realize that it was something I couldn't control. I would think to myself, "why am I being such a jerk?" but I couldn't control my hurtful words. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt now that they aren't jerks and might be suffering from a mental health issue.

I started looking online for possible causes and came across gluten as a possible cause for my symptoms. After cutting it out of my diet I began to feel better. The issues it was causing went away, and even though I have other issues now, I feel in a much better place mentally. And with that experience I think I can cope much better too.

I hope my story can give hope to others who are suffering that things can get better and not to give up.

Ruby G., Louioo and cdnfarmer like this.
  5. Louioo Honeycomb Aug 2, 2018

Louioo, Aug 2, 2018 :
    Thanks for sharing your story, sounds like you have been on a bit of a journey! Amazing to hear that a large part of what you were going through sounded like it was to do with diet, in the sense of cutting out gluten. Who would've thought? Please to hear that you are in a much better place now and it really is great that you shared your experience. :)

luigimario likes this.
  6. luigimario The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Aug 2, 2018

luigimario, Aug 2, 2018 :
    Thanks. I didn't want to talk about it before for various reasons, but I've accepted it as part of what makes me me. Like G.I Joe said:
    [​IMG]

Louioo likes this.
  7. N1533139125780 Donut Aug 5, 2018

8. script Marshmallow Moderator Apr 13, 2019

script, Apr 13, 2019 :
    I have 30 years experience with depression. Not my own, thankfully.

Without being a doctor, I say:
    • Get professional help!!
    • In 95% medication helps.
    • Counseling with a psychologist helps.
    • If you're bipolar, you won't live without medication.
    This seems so easy, but it's not. To understand, that you need help, and to accept that, can take years.

Then, ask a doctor, or someone that you trust, if they can recommend a counselor, or a psychologist. They will give you an address, a telephone number.

You should visit them, and just talk to them. They will guide you through the next steps. And they will help you, to overcome the dark zone.

For later:
    • It's important to do something that you like, that doesn't stress you or put pressure on you, and that you can fulfill. When your house is a mess, start to clean one room. If one room is too much, start with one drawer. Small steps is the key.
    • Avoid excessive demands!
    • Note down in the evening 5 points that were good at that day.
    • Note down a list with things that need to be done, and cross them out point for point.
    • Don't just wait till your depression is over. Do a little bit for you, or from that list.
    • Meet with a friend once in two weeks. Don't hide at home only.
    • Go outside.
    • Most important: try to stop to identify yourself as a depressive. Better is, to accept the dark side, live with it and identify with your current life and goals.
    A lot of depression comes from the thinking: omg, i am depressive, i am a depressive, why me, why why why.

Try to focus on your daily life also. Don't only fight with depression, also work on your normal life tasks. Try to replace the spinning thoughts with other themes.

Try to accept that you have a dark side, bad times, but don't forget your other life, which is normal, and sometimes even happy and great. That normal life is also an important part of you, it is there, and needs to be lived.