[Let’s Talk] OnePlus from 0 to (Big hero?) 6

1. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2018

The1Lion , Jul 16, 2018 :

Hello all! Let’s first get this out of the way, this is NOT a @Baymax thread! :D

So what’s this about and what are we going to talk about in this thread? Simple, let’s talk about OnePlus as a company and what has evolved over the past few years. I myself have been here since the end of 2014 and start of 2015, so a bit over 3 years. Others have been here even longer! :eek:

Initially OnePlus was the “Flagship Killer” and the One was and still is a remarkable device (still using mine now running on LOS 15). You could only buy via an invite and people would sell those on eBay. It actually is what drove me to the OnePlus website and then on to become a member of the forums. Today we are beyond the invite system, although I think the invite system was a bit of a vetting process if you will and you were then rewarded for your efforts with an invite ;)

Over the years I have seen a lot of changes OnePlus has gone through. Back in the start Customer Support wasn’t really good by any stretch of the imagination; especially if you lived on the other side of the world. However, back then you perhaps had more “technical” users able to assist with issues. I remember a lot of forum users would say the device was for developers and not every day users – which I never agreed with. I don’t think OnePlus every said that unless it was before my joining the forums. However, I did tell people you need to be a bit technical and be prepared to fiddle with your phone if an issue arose (and also be willing to use a backup if you had to ship the phone back or while waiting for a resolution). Jump forward to today and it seems support has gotten better – I don’t see as many rants about poor customer service, having to wait weeks (months) for a resolution, etc. Service centers have been opened, new shipping locations have been opened and OnePlus has grown as a company.

Another change is the in-house software development. The One ran COS and COS handled the updates. With the “messy” divorce between OnePlus and Cyanogen, OOS was born and made a brief appearance on the One but was the true OS for the Two and going forward. I think OnePlus kind of stumbled a bit at this point but appears to have recovered. I cannot speak how well OOS is because I don’t have a device running OOS (hint, hint OnePlus are you paying attention? :p) but it seems to be very close to stock Android which is what seems to draw people to the device.

When I bought my One, it was from a little known startup (or OPPO mini me) that most people never heard of. Most Chinese phones were found on eBay at cheap prices with iOS looks for the UI and were viewed as cheap imitation phones not even worth the asking price. That was one of the reason’s I hesitated to buy the One, I thought I’d be out of my $300+ USD if anything went wrong with the phone. Well something did go wrong and the Community users gave me hope that OnePlus would resolve it and that the phone was a good device that would last. They were right and I have my One now for the last 3 years and counting. Now the OnePlus devices are going head to head with the likes of Samsung and iPhnoe X and at least in some cases holding it’s own if not out right beating the competition.

So let’s talk, but let’s do it in a bit of a simplified way and let’s all give what we feel are the Pro’s and Con’s of dealing with OnePlus and their devices. Please do so in a dignified and reasonable manner, this isn’t meant to be a sounding point for a hateful rant or everything is so wonderful I want to marry my OnePlus device, but something we can use to say “here’s what I like/love about OnePlus” (Pro’s) and “Here’s what I think OnePlus can improve on” (Con’s). Let me get it started:

Pros:
    • Price – although prices have crept up, it is still a reasonable price for what you get
    • Community – I’m still here after all the changes. I’ve chatted with people from different parts of the world, a lot of them are helpful.
    • Raffles – to me this is doing it right. No “flash sale” where only 3 items are up and the system either crashes (Honor) or has other issues that prevent you from your “chance” to snag a device at a very cheap price.
    • Involvement with users – not always a good thing as I’m sure OnePlus has learned, but they have team members involved with the community
    • Near Stock Android – I just like the clean look with no bloatware, and although I’m not using OOS I have seen plenty of reviews and watched numerous videos
    • Unofficial Support – as stated, using the One with LOS 15, this probably only applies to those of us willing to unlock the bootloader and flash custom ROM’s but IMO most people could do this if they take their time to learn and carefully follow instructions (also don’t panic, sometimes you can recover from a failed attempt).
    Cons:
    • Price – yeah I know, it’s a Pro but also a Con because as the price continues to increase I think more and more are going to look elsewhere. If you are going to approach the cost of the “big boys” then you need to have all the bells and whistles including the support behind the product. OnePlus perhaps is getting there and closer than ever but I think still needs to prove they are there and deliver on their promise.
    • Lack of Originality – the OnePlus One was a standout. Lately the devices pretty much look like most other handsets. If you want to “borrow” a design, then make it better. Make it unique because although the design is “okay”, having something that makes people say “Wow, what phone is that?” is even better.
    • Slow to implement new technology – it’s arguable if wireless charging and other tech is truly needed or will be used by most consumer’s, but again with price increases people are going to expect more and more from the device.
    So now you tell me, what do you see as the Pro’s and Con’s of OnePlus as a company? Be respectful to one another as this is meant to be an informative thread not only for us community users but also something OnePlus can take a look at and see if there is something that really stands out as a Pro or a Con ;)

Mjo, meatandy, McAwesomePL and 16 others like this.
  2. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jul 16, 2018

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Here is my list:

PROS

1. Light software and great on performance.
    2. Easy to root.
    3. Warranty won't be void on account of rooting.
    4. Marketing - this student ambassador program is a great idea. More such offline channels would do great for the company.
    5. Price - while the devices still offer great value for money, they are entering a dangerous territory.

CONS

1. Small battery
    2. Pricing trend - an upward trend here isn't good.
    3. After sales - a strong and qualified service network is becoming an increasing necessity to protect the brand image.
    4. Lack of accessories for older devices
    5. Tendency to engage in malpractices (clipboard, data collection, etc without explicit user consent).

3. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2018

The1Lion , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Good points - some I have thought of previously but forgot to include with my post

4. Drewbikscube
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Jul 16, 2018

Drewbikscube , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Hi there! I have been here for 4+ years. My first OnePlus One was actually a pre-release copy I had before the official release in April 2014. It actually worked surprisingly well leading up to the first OnePlus One I purchased. I still remember to this day how excited I was to submit my order for the OnePlus One. That same excitement has rained true even to the now OnePlus 6. I firmly believe the community though, not just the product, is what drives that "hype" and excitement each time I purchase a new OnePlus device. All the great conversations had and all the awesome community members I've had the pleasure of chatting with really make for the best overall consumer experience.

I agree with many of the Pro's and Con's you referenced, but here's my take:

Pros:
    • Price – I swap devices often. However, I can definitively say after using all the flagships, OnePlus delivers a really awesome product at an incredibly affordable price tag in comparison to the masses. Every penny spent, is certainly worth it and hard to justify spending more, much more in most cases.
    • Community – Again, the community is what truly makes OnePlus so different in comparison to other device manufacturers.
    • Refined Android OS - OnePlus provides a software experience that I would say is an upgrade / improved version of Stock Android. OxygenOS certainly improves upon many features of stock android that are lacking or could be better. A lot of this I believe though is due to listening to their consumers and interacting with them via the community.
    • Slow to implement new technology - I would argue this point and say that this is actually a pro. Possibly this is my subjective opinion and possibly you depend on wireless charging, but I firmly believe in refining tech before implementing it. Just because Samsung has "fast" wireless charging or Apple (FINALLY) has wireless charging, doesn't mean OnePlus should simply settle on the current wireless charging tech. Refining and testing a better option, in return providing an improved truly fast wireless charging capability is more preferred in my onion. Consumers wouldn't be thrilled if OnePlus settled and their wireless charging was significantly slower than Dash charging. Consumers would default to the dash charger, disregarding the wireless charger. In addition, you'd certainly hear about how poorly designed it was in this forum. OnePlus's motto has been "Never Settle" since day 1 and I believe that is truly the pro of choosing OnePlus over the competition.
    • Originality - OnePlus devices are certainly still a head turning conversation starter. As I mentioned, I swap devices often but only when I'm using a OnePlus device do I get people around me asking "hey what's that?".
    Cons:
    • Demand – I believe OnePlus internally has an issue with demand planning and executing against that plan. I'm not sure what software or tech they use to manage this, but they certainly could improve upon this. A recent example would be the Bullets Wireless earphones. They're constantly out of stock and when they are, they're gone immediately. This could use some significant improvement and there are many quick/easy steps OnePlus could take to improve this.
    • Distribution - I will say that this has slightly gotten better over the years. However, OnePlus e,specially in the global markets, could improve the shipping processes.
    • Support - OnePlus still to this day does not have the greatest customer support / customer care. YES, this has improved. However, it's still not quite there yet and it's rather frustrating to consumers. Even trying to submit a RMA or return, two seemingly simple processes, are incredibly frustrating and are painstakingly difficult for consumers. (If I submit a return, I should not have to pick a carrier, pay for the shipping and receiving, and then have to pay for additional packaging and packing to ship you a product in a very precise way. Other manufacturers handle this process much better than OnePlus, like Apple and even Samsung. OnePlus could learn a few things even from Amazon regarding this.
    • Product Releases - OnePlus, especially after the 5 and 5T releases, really needs to pro-long their release cycles for new hardware. While I swap devices often and I'll order them whenever, it's still frustrating that as soon as you purchase the first "new" model, the refined/improved model is released shortly after. Also, all color options should be announced at the initial launch. I understand the marketing hype this provides, but stop it... Provide the options upfront. Even if OnePlus were to announce the colors at different release dates, like the silk white, that's preferred over waiting a few weeks/months after the release of your initial color options to then hit us with another option. Nothing is more frustrating then ordering one variant of a device and seeing another, possibly better / more preferred variant released almost immediately after you hit that order submit button.
    • Carrier Support - Carrier support and additional bands could be supported and should be if OnePlus wants to push even more of their products, gaining more consumers. In the U.S, Verizon and Sprint aren't covered. Verizon support alone would significantly increase market share in the US for sure. I'm a previous VZW customer, now thankfully on T-Mobile, but it was incredibly frustrating when new OnePlus devices would launch and they're not compatible with one of the largest carriers in the U.S. I have many friends that have asked "What's that device you're using? Does it work on Verizon?".
    • Durability - IP68, that is all...
    • Headphone Jack - I fully support retaining the headphone jack for consumers that like headphone jacks. However, if you're going to continue to push the headphone jack, please include your wired headphones at the very least in the packaging. A case and a decent screen protector are already included. Eating the cost of 19$ headphones wouldn't be too painful and shouldn't increase the price of the current OnePlus offerings. Otherwise ditch the headphone jack (which helps in resolving Con 6 referenced) and push the wireless earphones by improving Con's 1 & 2 I referenced.
    • Security - Seems to be a lack of importance to OnePlus at times. This certainly could be heavily improved.
    I know it may seem like there are more cons than pros, but there are many many pros to the OnePlus device others mentioned and I'm sure many more will mention. It's the cons that OnePlus can learn and grow from the most and I hope this is insightful from my subjective observations over the years.

5. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2018

theshinybeast , Jul 16, 2018 :
    But you thunk it, that's what counts.:p

meatandy and The1Lion like this.
  6. brian.sedore
    Honeycomb Jul 28, 2018

brian.sedore , Jul 28, 2018 :
    So only being with the company for 8 months or so, I don’t have a whole lot to contribute except my limited knowledge of the past and the current state (OP 5T onward). That being said, here’s my list.

Pros:
    • Near stock experience in Android with OOS
      • Wonderfully fast navigation and everything can be found where you would expect in Android.
      • Customization of Oxygen OS is wonderful. There aren’t a lot of things you can do with it out of the box, but enough to allow users to switch it up every now and then to keep it interesting.
    • Build quality of the 5T
      • I can’t speak to other devices, but I love the build quality of this device. It has material that isn’t going to break so easily (no glass back) and it ships with a screen protector. Get outta here!
    • Battery life/Dash Charging
      • I feel like when I read news about OP devices, they always had pretty decent battery life and good charging options. Speaking with experience with the OP 5T, I am impressed with their Dash Charging and my battery usually lasts 3 or more days. Mainly because I don’t play games on it or watch a lot of videos.
    • Update schedule
      • The company has shown a commitment to updating their devices with new versions of Android. They are also updating their software every now and then. However, their software/apps (messaging, gallery, etc.) don’t seem to get updated too frequently. Still, their support for implementing new versions of Android is top notch. It would be nice to be supported for a longer period of time, but I get it.
    • Company’s seeming commitment to users
      • It does seem that the company is taking feedback from their users. With the events they hold around the world to the little updates here and there that fix/add things that users have asked for, it looks like they care. Even just a little bit.

Cons:
    • Camera
      • I think we have to start off with a bang and go with camera image quality. I don’t know if it’s the lens/sensor that they go with or the image processing that needs to be changed, but I know I am not the only one who things their cameras could use work. Now, maybe that’s not the case with the OP6, but this is my experience.
    • Accessory Availability
      • Since they release one device at a time and want to provide accessories for that device, older generation device owners are left to go elsewhere for accessories. I was hoping for more of an option for cases myself. Seeing how the OP2 had a lot of options for backs, I was hoping they would keep that trend up with their other devices, but they probably experienced a net loss with that.
    I’m sure there’s more in both categories, but these are the ones that stood out to me when I initially thought about pros and cons. Definitely more pros than cons, but that first con (camera image quality) is a biggie.

andycro83 and The1Lion like this.
  7. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Jul 28, 2018

The1Lion , Jul 28, 2018 :
    Even a few months is long enough to form an opinion as to Pros vs Cons ;). In fact most of us would research and at least mentally think of the Pros and Cons before purchase

8. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Jul 30, 2018

Dresa91 , Jul 30, 2018 :
    well:)
    the big pro is the community!
    But it is one con too...
    If you are they we are based on community and working for it, you really have to do this;)

The1Lion likes this.
  9. Majuran thas
    Honeycomb Jul 30, 2018

Majuran thas , Jul 30, 2018 :
    Oppo and Vivo are selling phones in small countries. but why OnePlus doesn't consider about small countries?

yes, I'm from Sri Lanka. and Oppo and Vivo are rocking here..

but most people are fans of the OnePlus...

please consider about my dear OnePlus... at least please sell accessories.. please

The1Lion likes this.
  10. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Jul 30, 2018

The1Lion , Jul 30, 2018 :
    Perhaps due to the consumer market, more consumers means more possible sells. Not sure what their criteria is for opening sells or perhaps partnering up with a reseller would be...

11. G_david_hartono_S_iAtI
    Froyo Jul 30, 2018

andycro83 and The1Lion like this.
  12. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Jul 30, 2018

The1Lion , Jul 30, 2018 :
    They are just doing one phone at a time so kind of get that they would want to do that type of cycle, although it makes it kind of tough to decide when to buy. Personally I just buy when I need to and not when I want to - still if I need a phone and the 6 has been out more than 3 months it make you wonder "should I wait and see?"
    I also wonder if their SW dev team can keep up, although it's a "close to stock" android system it is still multiple devices to keep up to date based on their support schedule. It would be four to five for release updates and 6 to 7 for the security patches if they kept up the pace of new devices every six months.

I guess I should say an additional 2 to 3 for security patches, above sounds like they would be doing 10 to 12 devices :D

13. sommersy
    KitKat Jul 30, 2018

sommersy , Jul 30, 2018 :
    Con :( j/k!! XP

Oh ok, I'll do it properly (sort of):

Pro: Originality - yes, OP still does have some. For example, the Alert Slider (which i really do use regularly and miss when i switch to my backup), the fast charging (and what we're calling it now) and Oxygen OS. You can get features like OOS' on other phones, but you'd probably have to root them first.

Con: Those few features of OOS that are unpolished and in some cases patently not changed since Nougat *cough*quick tiles*cough*

Pro: The accessories, or rather the ones I like (e.g. wood, nylon & CF cases). When they get it right, it's all the way right. Even the OP shade of red. It's a stupidly shallow and superficial point, and i love it :D

Con: The red often comes on a backdrop of white. This clashes with the rest of my shit. (Otg cable, looking in your direction)

Pro: Not Samsung.

Con: Other people not understanding why it's vital my phone's not a Samsung

Pro: Like a lot of other users have said, the OPO and how unique it was.
    (Compared to everything not a Find 7, at least.)

Con: The steady loss of that, up to the current devolutionary point of looking like a Galaxy S9 Plus (but with a notch, of course :rolleyes:).

Let's end on a pro, though, which as of today is a 2-year-old phone in line for 9.0! Yay! :smileycat:

The1Lion likes this.
  14. G_tar_mus_fvcV
    Cupcake Jul 31, 2018

G_tar_mus_fvcV , Jul 31, 2018 :
    I think OnePlus is 4 out of 6. Why you ask? Well oneplus started at a $300(budget) price point. Then the price went up to $400(high end budget or semi mid range) then $450-$550 (very mid range) and now $530-$630 (semi flagship). If the price goes up to $650 it will be in flagship territory and OnePlus phones will struggle to compete. OnePlus cannot compete with non budget companies like Google and Apple for two reasons. 1. OnePlus support cannot compete with flagship companies, especially Apple and Google. 2. OnePlus cuts too many corners. The OnePlus 6 doesn't have wireless charging, only has a 1080p screen, has minimal waterproofing, bad speakers, and an OK camera. the reason I say ok is because the Google Pixel 2 has great speakers, waterproofing, an ok screen an AMAZİNG camera, and support from Google for $20 more. The good thing about OnePlus is, a better processor, more RAM and storage, and a lower price.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018

15. glen8
    Froyo Jul 31, 2018

glen8 , Jul 31, 2018 :
    My perfect oneplus phone:

Wireless charging
    IP rating
    No chin
    1080p is fine, but a smaller 5.8" phone would be amazing!!

Google now on swipe left :)

16. meatandy
    Oreo Jul 31, 2018

meatandy , Jul 31, 2018 :
    You have been around since January 13 2015 , in case you didn't know the exact date. :p

The1Lion likes this.
  17. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Jul 31, 2018

The1Lion , Jul 31, 2018 :
    I was a lurker prior to that :rolleyes::p I was kicking around the idea of which phone to buy and was close to buying a "used" Note 4 but then came across mention of the OnePlus One and the rest is history :D that reminds me, I have to change my signature now that I am using LOS 15 ;)

meatandy likes this.
  18. hikari_kobushi
    Froyo Jul 31, 2018

hikari_kobushi , Jul 31, 2018 :
    I know OnePlus brand since it's OnePlus One was released as invite only product. I always read news and watched unboxings and reviews starring OP products but never was interested in purchasing one. I am and always will be Xperia/Sony fun but...

Few weeks ago I decided that I need a change and I would like to change my secondary phone to something different. I sold my Xperia L1 and started to look for something that would be interesting to own. I came across second-hand OnePlus 3T which was for around £200 and that's amount I was willing to spend.

After few weeks I can give a little bit of my input

pros
    * very handy and useful launcher with few interesting ideas like "hidden space" for apps or shelf for all your widgets and shortcuts.
    * very good for updates
    * Very easy to customize or root if required
    * Very interesting and active community (Having community app is bullseye )

cons
    * battery life could be a bit better
    * hard to find official accessories for older models
    * 6 GB ram is refreshing background apps more often than my 2GB Xperia L1 - not an issue as every load very quickly anyway but more of a surprise and asking myself a rhetorical question "Why?"

Overall I am happy with that change and will stick with OP for a while. Don't get me wrong my main device will always be up to date Xperia (if they won't stop manufacturing) but my secondary could be 1-2 years old OP.

BTW: My next purchase will be OP Travel Backpack, another job well done for me, I think this should be under Pros

buntycubal and The1Lion like this.
  19. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Aug 2, 2018

luigimario , Aug 2, 2018 :
    Pros:
    1. Price: even though the prices have risen, it's still better than the top phones out there.
    2. Specs: great specs at the offered price point.
    3. Community: super useful for finding answers, and most everyone is really pleasant and helpful.
    4. Warranty: a good one year that isn't voided by rooting
    5. Ease of root: easy to root the phone, with instructions provided in the forums.
    6. Return policy: most manufacturers aren't willing to stand behind their product with a satisfaction guaranty.
    7. Updates: frequent updates, and now a promise for updates for 3 years (security patches in year 3).
    8. OS: simple, effective, frequently updated, clean, no bloatware.
    9. Hardware: uses some of the best hardware available.
    10. A company that listens: OP listens to its customers and makes changes based on feedback (most of the time)
    Cons:
    1. Price: while still very competitively price, it has gone up significantly since the OPO. While the flagship is fairly priced, I'd like to see a more budget-cost phone available.
    2. Small company: the smaller size of OP limits its capacity at the moment. Capacity for production, development, and customer service. I expect it to improve as OP grows.
    3. Bandwagon: I feel like OP can sometimes copy other manufacturers in design, like the notch or look of the phone.
    4. I was kind of bummed about the 3T coming out right after I bought my OP3, but that's more my problem than a con.
    5. New phones only available for a few months: since OP only sells one model at a time and releases 2 per year, it sucks that you can't get a phone you want after the new one comes out. And you don't even get a discount when they are clearing out the old model.
    6. Expensive accessories: I find OP accessories to be costly, and I would like a spare dash charger but it is a little cost prohibitive for me. I'll wait for this year's black friday sale and snag a deal :)

buntycubal and The1Lion like this.
  20. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Aug 2, 2018

The1Lion , Aug 2, 2018 :
    Point # 5 is a good point. Wonder if they will change up now that they announced the support schedule. Seems they could offer some models longer allowing a "cheaper/older" model for those that want to keep the price point down.

luigimario likes this.