[Let's Talk Response] How does my OnePlus 5 compare to other devices?

1. Shivang Joshi
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Mar 19, 2018

Shivang Joshi , Mar 19, 2018 :
    How does your favourite OnePlus Device compare to other devices?

Grab some snacks as this is 929 Words long.

My favourite OnePlus device must be the one I use right now, and that is the OnePlus 5. So, let’s start comparing it now.

The Camera: I have been using the camera on the OnePlus 5 quite a lot. I have used it for just like casual photography and stuff like that, and I must say that I am quite impressed with the camera. It’s great to have a good camera ready-to-go in your pocket. The outstanding feature of the camera, The Portrait Mode (Depth Effect) works quite well too. The lack of OIS does hurt the video stabilization on 4K. The dual rear camera gets the job done, for almost any person using the mobile camera. The Pro Mode also helps to get better control of your shots, if needed. The front facing 16MP camera, is quite good as well. The cameras on OnePlus 5 has a lot of potential, but I must say it would need to get better with some updates. Also, I have used it to take some awesome product shots. Overall, the camera on the OnePlus 5 is quite great. Comparing to other devices, Pixel 2/XL is still on the top with their software optimizations.

Design: Umm, I think we all know it’s not the best decision from OnePlus to go for almost identical design to that of an iPhone. They should have created quite a different design, is all that we think (Including myself). But, then considering all the perspectives, do you think there are a lot of design choices left now for any company? Maybe, there are, but a very few of them. The Infinity Display and the Full-Vison Display were brought in by Samsung, and LG respectively, and the concept of the Bezel-Less Device was brought in by Xiaomi (Mi Mix). But, you might have already noticed that the newer devices, which might be released in the next quarter of the year have the same concept for the design. Why? Because, we liked that, and we want that. Would we say that they copied LG/Samsung/Xiaomi for their design? I don’t think so. I was disappointed when I first saw the design of OnePlus in pictures, but I would really like to say that it feels a lot different in your hands. So, is it bad to accept the trends in the market, and go for the design which was liked by a lot of people? If yes, get a OnePlus 5 and an iPhone 7 Plus side by side along with you, and then you might notice (feel) the differences in the design. And, it’s well said by MKBHD that you can take the good things from other companies (Not the NOTCH, though). So, it might not be the most unique design of all time, but it’s not bad. Samsung has the best design, according to me.

Performance: I don’t think anyone would complain about the performance of this device. With that blazing fast Snapdragon 835, paired with 6/8GB of LPDDRX4 RAM, with UFS 2.1 storage up to 128GB, and the almost Stock Android like Oxygen OS, there won’t be anything left to complain about. Nobody would complain about the excellent performance of this device. It’s much better than those devices, which are priced much higher than OnePlus 5. I don’t need to compare this with other devices. I have nothing more to say about this, as you all know.

Features: There are a lot of features available on the Oxygen OS. Customizations is one of most valuable thing for me when it comes to my devices, so Android is my way to go. The customizable navigation keys, LED lights, and the Gesture controls, are just a few of the customizations available on Oxygen OS. And then, one of the most important feature of the OnePlus devices, is that Alert Slider. Just love using it that way. And, how can you forget the Face Unlock which was enabled by OnePlus Team? Kudos for that.

Battery: The battery life for my usage has been excellent. When I used the devices only on Wi-Fi, and for watching videos, social networks, little camera usage, and bit of gaming, it gave fantastic battery life or around 6-7hrs SOT average. (I got 10hrs on SOT on this device once, but it all depends on your usage.) Later, using it with mobile data, and Wi-Fi, with quite a lot camera usage, gaming, social networking, video watching, phone calls, with Bluetooth on the whole day, and with much more heavy usage, it gave me right around 5-6hrs SOT average. Again clarifying, the SOT depends on the usage from person to person. And even if you empty your juice within a day, you might be able to get a lot of juice (Being precise, 60%) in just 30 minutes. Yes, I am talking about the DASH CHARGE, and it’s awesome. Devices like Razer and Huawei probably have better battery life than this. But, they don't have DASH CHARGE.

Overall: Yes, this is a great device from OnePlus, and I am just loving it. I would say there’s always a room for improvement in this industry. But, my OnePlus Device, OnePlus 5 stacks up well against the flagship competition. Just one thing to keep in mind now, the pricing has been increasing a lot lately. So, OnePlus needs to look over that now as Samsung launched their latest device at the same price as their last generation flagship.

@Ruby G. Tagged.

2. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Mar 19, 2018

Shivang Joshi likes this.
  3. Shivang Joshi

Thank You So Much. I am glad that you liked reading this:):blush:

4. Baymax

Baymax , Mar 19, 2018 :
    Well written bud :)

5. Shivang Joshi

Baymax likes this.
  6. stephenboyo
    KitKat Mar 19, 2018

stephenboyo , Mar 19, 2018 :
    Utter crap! This is just navel gazing at its most.

7. Shivang Joshi

Negative comments are welcomed. They would help me improve on myself [e]270c[/e]️

8. Ruby G.
    NA Community Manager Mar 20, 2018

Ruby G. , Mar 20, 2018 :
    Very comprehensive and well thought out. Thanks so much! I will link to the original [Let's Talk] thread so that this gets more traction :)

9. Shivang Joshi
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Mar 20, 2018

Shivang Joshi , Mar 20, 2018 :
    Thanks a ton to this community for giving us this opportunity

Ruby G. likes this.
  10. G_Vivek_Gulia_kHGC
    Gingerbread Mar 20, 2018

G_Vivek_Gulia_kHGC , Mar 20, 2018 :
    ita a great device. only disappointed with the camera hope they will fix it too in next update.
    overall a good phone.

11. Shivang Joshi

I didn't expected the camera to be at the level of Pixel/Samsung. So, for me, the camera isn't that bad. I have clicked some real amazing shots with this camera[e]270c[/e]️

12. G_Vivek_Gulia_kHGC
    Gingerbread Mar 20, 2018

G_Vivek_Gulia_kHGC , Mar 20, 2018 :
    i too have clicked some great shots with 1+5. i am comparung the camera before and after these updates. i was camera too be good as it was before.

1521523969874.jpg
    it was night pic before
    1521523970138.jpg
    it was an evening shot

I don't think there was any problem with that quality. i just want the same quality again. nothung else. [e]1f60a[/e]
    the camera was fabulous before

Attached Files:

13. Beng_Yap
    Gingerbread Mar 20, 2018

Beng_Yap , Mar 20, 2018 :
    I've own a huawei P9 plus and op5, i must said this op5 battery life much better than huawei.

with camera op5 take good shot with good light condition and results near natural, just lag of best tuning.

with performance, op5 sure win.

overall, the only problem with op5: camera app setting and tuning.

14. Shivang Joshi

Well, I was referring it with the Huawei Mate 10 Pro, though [e]1f64f[/e] (Sorry, I didn't mentioned it)

Beng_Yap likes this.
  15. J1510372438586
    Donut Mar 20, 2018

J1510372438586 , Mar 20, 2018 :
    how long did it take you to write that?
    though, i must say that it is impressive considering you mentioned all of the main points of op5 in one thread. Great Job!!! I love it. (Yep, i did read the entire thread.)

16. Shivang Joshi

I would say, right about 1 hour.

And, Thanks a lot for the read[e]1f601[/e]

J1510372438586 likes this.
  17. pinto123
    Honeycomb Mar 21, 2018

pinto123 , Mar 21, 2018 :

You Nailed It!!!!!
    This is LaserCut write up bro, precise and right on the head!! Bong!!
    Keep up the writing.

18. Shivang Joshi
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Mar 21, 2018

Shivang Joshi , Mar 21, 2018 :
    Thanks for the read, man[e]270c[/e]️[e]1f601[/e]

pinto123 likes this.
  19. G_Sai_Raina_syku
    Jelly Bean Mar 21, 2018

20. Shivang Joshi
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Mar 21, 2018

Shivang Joshi , Mar 21, 2018 :
    That did come to my mind too[e]1f601[/e]