[Let's Talk Response] How does your favorite OnePlus device compare to other devices?

1. Ashwin_Prasad
    Froyo Mar 20, 2018

Ashwin_Prasad , Mar 20, 2018 :
    Ruby's Note: We got a lot of amazing long forms in response to our [Let's Talk] discussions. This thread didn't make it through the staff and community vote, but I personally liked it a lot. Excellent writing with a dash of personality, and thoughts are nicely to the point. @Ashwin_Prasad, two thumbs up!

@Ruby G. Here goes. My take on this.

I bought the OnePlus 5T the day it was released at the experience store flash sale. Now, I'm not going to provide headings and write this response like an examination answer. I'll let my thoughts flow and hopefully you all can roll with it.

I'm a hopeless android enthusiast like a lot of you out there.
    Ever since I laid my hands on this cheap tablet running ICS back in 2012, I've been analysing, tweaking, modding and assessing the devices I've owned over the years which include quite a varied range including the legendary nexus 6p, Moto X 2013, HTC 826, Samsung Galaxy S.

So as you can see, I've seen it all. From stock vanilla android to heavily skinned feature heavy android skins. Which brings me to my first point about this comparison - OnePlus 5T has been the first phone that I have used which I didn't feel the need to root and slap a custom ROM right away. And that for me is a big deal.
    I've been dissatisfied with the software experience phones have provided me over the years. It always has something that annoyed the usually obsessive person I am. Or it was missing something I couldn't find myself living without.
    For instance, nexus 6p had a beautiful amoled screen but never had a dark mode. My old HTC lacked the ambient display.

OnePlus 5T is a very complete software experience. Which I can't appreciate enough. It's about the little things that they have actually thought of. It makes me go "Omg they actually thought of this and included it". The navigation bar for instance. I picked up the phone, saw the beautiful immersive display and felt "gee I wish there was a way for this to be truly immersive, without the navigation bar taking up the bottom real estate all the time" and what do you know! There's a button to hide the bar! I can guarantee you, I'd have rooted the phone for this if it wasn't there.
    And now with the navigation gestures coming up, I couldn't be more pleased.

Another thing like this is the gaming mode and reading more turning automatically on with app triggers. Ingenious! These things had me sold.

I'll give one last instance since I already feel I'm overdoing it. The brightness slider being at the bottom of the quick settings panel rather than the top. Kudos to that.

I have noticed so many little ingenious designs in this software that has made it such a nice experience for me.

Next I'd like to talk about the display. I had a 1440p display with nexus 6p previously and was 1080p a disappointing downgrade? Actually, quite the opposite. (I know it's not exactly 1080p but the pixel density is almost same as that of a 1080p phone thanks to the taller display so I'm going to just refer to it as 1080p.)
    With all those pixels for the aging SD810 to push around, I could see the drop in frame rate on the 6P. The other phones I had previously, their displays aren't worth even discussing.

But this panel on the 5T, I'm in love with.
    1080p is the perfect sweet spot TBH in today's age of media consumption. Most of the media out there, movies and TV stream in 1080p. And anything higher is honestly wasted.

With the SD835 moving around just these many pixels, everything flies. Everything is snappy. Everything is smooth. Not to mention how bright the display gets. I love it. I just love it. I really do.

Yes, the camera isn't mind blowing but for me it gets the job done. Most of the pictures I've taken have turned out alright. I'm satisfied. I feel the low light photography they speak of for the second lens is more specifically for these dimly lit bars and restaurants. Since the photos I've clicked there have turned out to be incredibly amazing. Considering how slow the shutter was with my older phones, I was happy just with how snappy the pictures are taken.

Build quality is reassuring to say the least. The 'anodized' part is key. The body is strong and reassuring. Doesn't scratch easily and my midnight black looks so stealthy and great. As far the the aesthetics go, I would say it's not the most striking design. It's very safe. Very conventional. Not bold. Doesn't stand out. But it has grown on me.

I don't use a case. I believe using one spoils the feel of the phone for which we pay so much. The feel is important for me. It's an important aspect of the phone too. Lots of time, resource and attention goes into the feel while making the phone too. Just slapping a 20$ case on it doesn't make sense to me.

I use my 5T naked and boy oh boy it's a pleasure to hold and handle. I'm careful with the phone and haven't dropped it to this day. I'd say I wouldn't want to jinx it but I don't believe in all that.

Lastly some of the other little things that bought this phone home for me.
    The earpiece sound. Exceptional! It gets so loud, I have never used it in full volume. I think this is really important and very understated.
    Battery life is great and dash charge is a blessing.
    Face unlock has changed how I use the phone completely. With nougat/Oreos quick reply features from the lockscreen/notifications panel, face unlock is an unexpected perfect combination for that and is again, really understated of how cool it is.

That would be my summary of the phone. The best parts of it are all understated. Regrettably. Or maybe not so. Because the people who this phone really is for will notice them like I did and won't shut up about it, like I don't.
    Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2018

2. Imdbadguy
    Honeycomb Mar 20, 2018

Imdbadguy , Mar 20, 2018 :
    Amazing Post Mate!! It's good to hear that you liked this phone.
    I was also amazed by Oxygen OS when I started using it. I had the same wow moment when I looked for any settings and actually found it.
    You have described everything so well that I couldn't find more word to elaborate how awesome this phone is.

Well, I also like my phone without a case but it's damn slippery so I am using the free back cover which was included in the box.

I am happy with the camera as I don't click much pictures and for great moments I have DSLR to click them.
    I tried to write the same earlier like you but damn my english is poor in articulation mostly. You wrote almost exact same thing so I think No need to say more.
    Cheers!

3. meatandy
    Oreo Mar 20, 2018

meatandy , Mar 20, 2018 :
    I like to hear about your purchase at the 'experience store' .
    Where was it and what was your experience during your time inside the store or did you just slap the money down on the counter, make your purchase and walk out?

Praty_28 likes this.
  4. Ashwin_Prasad
    Froyo Mar 21, 2018

Ashwin_Prasad , Mar 21, 2018 :
    No actually it was more than just slapping the money and walking out.

OnePlus has these experience stores in some major cities of the country. They sold the phone in limited numbers in the flash sale, a couple of days before the sale began on Amazon, etc. So it was a chance to get your hands on the phone early.

I expected crowd so I went 3 hours earlier than the scheduled time but to my surprise, found people already waiting on the sidewalk. Lot like the iPhone release day. Waiting sucked but the bright side was the people with me were all also enthusiasts and I made quite a few friends.

As the queue moved up and I stepped inside the store, we could go through a section where you could use the phone before buying. There, I found Simon. The tall Russian who heads the design team. I recognised him from his presentation in the OnePlus 5T launch live stream.

Anyway, I struck a conversation with him and asked him a bunch on questions. He answered them all very well and we ended up talking the whole time until it was my turn at the counter.

I bought the 8GB variant and they gave us a sandstone case for free alongside. Took the phone, clicked a picture with Simon and finally left.

5. Ashwin_Prasad
    Froyo Mar 21, 2018

Glad I helped voice out a fellow OnePlus user. :)
    And I'm glad you like it and totally related with it.

Your English seems great to me. You should just go for it. You might have someone who will really appreciate what you had to say just like I had you.

Good day mate.

6. meatandy
    Oreo Mar 21, 2018

meatandy , Mar 21, 2018 :
    Wow ,it sounds like you had a good experience during your time inside the store , hopefully your time with the device has exceeded your expectations.

Ksh123, NeVeR_SeTTLe and Praty_28 like this.
  7. Ashwin_Prasad
    Froyo Mar 21, 2018

Indeed has. :) I couldn't be happier

NeVeR_SeTTLe and meatandy like this.
  8. max.escalante
    Froyo Mar 27, 2018

max.escalante , Mar 27, 2018 :
    Well I love my OP5T, it's by far the best phone I ever have. I came from an iPhone 7 and there's nothing to regret, in speed terms is so fast and responsive.
    The only thing I feel is a downgrade is the camera, I mean is not bad at all, it works very well and photos are amazing is just the image quality and the low light photos, as a Photographer when I'm not using my camera the phone really gets my back when I need it, but sometimes is night or the light is not so bright and it's when the OP feels weak and that's it.
    I think that OnePlus is going in the right direction. thank you for listen.

Johan Notte likes this.
  9. MarcioReis87
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 27, 2018

dsmonteiro likes this.
  10. NovinDavis
    KitKat Mar 27, 2018

NovinDavis , Mar 27, 2018 :
    @Ashwin_Prasad why didn't u by OnePlus 5. ? also if u had bought a onelus 5 instead of 5 T will u give the same opinion ? considering the fact both 5 & 5 T was launched at the same price point.

11. ShusanKhatiwada
    Cupcake Mar 27, 2018

ShusanKhatiwada , Mar 27, 2018 :
    I bought my one plus 5t at Rs.72900( roughly 710$) plus the bullets v2 for 2700 (25$) plus a case for 1500 (15$) plus the one plus Tempered glass for 2500 (25$). Total = 79600 ( ~800$ ). I don't regret buying it at all. I listen to people bragging about their iPhone, Pixel's camera but the after using the pro mode for a few weeks, I can take photos that's somewhat comparable to those taken by the iPhone, Pixel's camera. The face unlock is " insanely fast ". I have a problem with my fingers' skin, during winter the skin keeps on changing so I cant use the fingerprint scanner. This was a real pain in the @$$ with my previous phones. After using the one plus face scanner, nowadays I dont even use the fingerprint scanner.

I have been a android user from the beginning. My first phone was Samsung Corby II (android 2.2), Samsung Galaxy S2(android 2.3.6), Samsung Galaxy J prime( android 6.0 updated to 7.0). Its not like I preferred Samsung phones it's just that I couldn't afford it. Most of the phones were gift. The biggest problem with Samsung phones was there was too much bloatware. In oneplus the software is clean and the phone overall is snappy.

Sorry for the bad English and long story.

Praty_28 likes this.
  12. johnhart
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 27, 2018

johnhart , Mar 27, 2018 :
    For instance, nexus 6p had a beautiful amoled screen but never had a dark mode.

That's just painful. "This car has a ferocious engine. I can't wait to... wait... where's the gas pedal?"

Ksh123 likes this.
  13. ignatiuslu83
    Eclair Mar 27, 2018

ignatiuslu83 , Mar 27, 2018 :
    Happy...My Oneplus 5 is more responsive then expensive phone and so called Flagship phones.And i pay so much lesser then those Flagship phones.Battery life also charged so much faster then them and yet stay cold due to Dash Charging.I can regain my Nexus feel again rather then super bloatware and heavily skin.I can make more customize without rooting.I get Android version update earlier aslo.But there is a downside...the camera.Its the oni parts which cant compete with those Flagship phones.But its definitely wins any midrange phones at the same price.

delaluka likes this.
  14. G_jonny_cool_nxOr
    Jelly Bean Mar 27, 2018

15. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Mar 27, 2018

G_plusone , Mar 27, 2018 :
    Would you mind mentioning the country alongside the currency used, the price you mention seems silly.

@Ashwin_Prasad nice one

meatandy, Ksh123 and altmb like this.
  16. Uriyah
    Gingerbread Mar 27, 2018

17. Deactivated User
    Mar 27, 2018

Target 33, aditya2d, The1Lion and 2 others like this.
  18. Kimmo Kekki
    Froyo Mar 27, 2018

Kimmo Kekki , Mar 27, 2018 :
    Hello OnePlus friends
    I had OP5T since day 1 ... Was running it with Betas and no probs ! Absolutely amazing device
    Week and half ago i got the most stupid idea and sell it away to buy this Samsunk S9+ .... Yeah good speakers and .. And ... This have good speakers, but everything else is BS !
    Many kind of stupid Microsoft and Samsung apps which cannot be removed ! Drains battery fast and slows performance ... Missing OP5T speed and ease to use ...

19. mr_priyanshu
    Jelly Bean Mar 27, 2018

mr_priyanshu , Mar 27, 2018 :
    @Ruby G. now it does!
    Anyways that community vote thing is flawed.
    By that requirement, newcomers to the forum will never win.

G_plusone and meatandy like this.
  20. N1522135190778
    Cupcake Mar 27, 2018

N1522135190778 , Mar 27, 2018 :
    please add gestures to finger print scanner like...double tap sensor to turnoff screen, touch to answer a call

OmarRolon and R1515507869833 like this.