[Let's Talk] Should OnePlus expand its product portfolio...

1. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jul 29, 2018

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Jul 29, 2018 :
    the thing about branding - whenever we talk of a brand like Apple, Nike, Adidas, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc. - the very 1st thing that comes to mind about products from those companies, is QUALITY. no matter which product it is. every single product from such brands assures minimum quality standards as the bar they set for themselves is very high.

that doesn't mean Samsung, Xiaomi, Nokia are not great brands..but here is the difference. for these brands, you have different expectations based on each product. not every product automatically means top class quality.

this is the point I am trying to make. OnePlus, atleast as of today, has grown to be known as a brand that makes quality products at affordable prices. if that is the direction they have to take going forward, then they must limit themselves to making products above a certain price level, where they can incorporate as many of the premium features as possible.

also, 2 variants a year - both targeting the same market segment is a correct decision. they simply compete with the new devices that are launched around the same time.

bikerbanjara and 1sri like this.
  2. 1sri
    Froyo Jul 29, 2018

1sri , Jul 29, 2018 :
    Also what with the no SD card.? I know inbuilt memory is stable n faster. Just throw in the SD card slot already.

I know majority of the community hates this!

I bet there will be Atleast 1% more ppl who will buy the phone only for SD card

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018

3. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jul 29, 2018

yes. they should provide hybrid sim slot, or two sim slots and a microSD card slot. definitely has its benefits.

4. FlixbusLennart
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jul 29, 2018

FlixbusLennart , Jul 29, 2018 :
    You mean Google or Adobe?

5. sblantipodi
    Honeycomb Jul 29, 2018

sblantipodi , Jul 29, 2018 :
    most gaming pc aren't able of 2k monitor at 120Hz,
    so what is the point of a 120Hz monitor or even a 2k one?

mobile CPU and GPUs are not ready for that, leave alone batteries.

6. Lawrence GF
    Cupcake Jul 29, 2018

Lawrence GF , Jul 29, 2018 :
    No.
    Op will fall short if it copies other business models or manufacturers and tries to diversify too much too soon. Company needs to another 1-2 years of solid phone sales growth and consolidation before advancing into other tech areas. It needs a seminal stand out phone that people will be referring to 5-10 years later. 6 is not that phone.

7. ankurdas
    Cupcake Jul 29, 2018

8. ankurdas
    Cupcake Jul 29, 2018

ankurdas , Jul 29, 2018 :
    Need one differential factor....
    OP should maintain the hardware quality with updated hardwares without any cosmetic changes and place the phone for only one type of customers.... be it business users or non business users, then only it will move otherwise will take no time become history.

9. 1sri
    Froyo Jul 29, 2018

1sri , Jul 29, 2018 :
    Can we get the Sandstone back in op6t?

And can we have something like moto mods in our upcoming phones? We cud hook up with jbl speaker, Hasselblad camera, power bank and make some profit in those products?

I love the business tactic here. But even big companies like Samsung allow for SD card. So please.
    Even if I buy 256 GB model op6, if I travel often n do videos a lot, I WILL need a micro SD card. If OnePlus truly wants customers to be happy, just put a card reader, won't cost much!

And for bullets wireless, I know it's a strong cable. Please provide flat cable as I can rest assure that it won't snap.

And how about one more option of truly bullets wireless earbuds with a charging & carrying case with dash charge. Honestly I was little disappointed when I got to know bullets came with neckband. It's 2018 now. It'll be 2020 soon. We need to come up with new designs. I was surfing products in Amazon. There are truly wireless earphones for $10. Come on! We cud do better

10. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jul 29, 2018

I find the Samsung Galaxy displays on flagship devices much better than the one on my 3T. the QHD screens do look better than FHD screens. so a 2k screen in a flagship device is a must.

as with 120 Hz displays, I have read great reviews on how butter smooth they are on the iPads. no first hand experience. but I do think they make your experience better.

11. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jul 29, 2018

12. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jul 29, 2018

the company should focus on making premium products, not cheap ones. and I think the mods are more a hassle. if you really want to enhance the sound experience, a proper Bluetooth speaker would do it, not a mod. same goes with other mods. the other disadvantage is that the mods are useful only as long as you use the particular phone supporting it. this is one of the biggest reasons why that concept never picked up.

1sri likes this.
  13. sblantipodi
    Honeycomb Jul 29, 2018

sblantipodi , Jul 29, 2018 :
    you need to comprare a 2k galaxy screen with a OnePlus 6 screen.

14. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jul 30, 2018

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Jul 30, 2018 :
    yes, the OP6 screen is very good. but would you say that the S9 screen isn't better?

15. sblantipodi
    Honeycomb Jul 30, 2018

sblantipodi , Jul 30, 2018 :
    it sucks more battery, it sucks more CPU and more ram resulting in unstable framerate on games, so no, it isn't better, it is a marketing gimmicks because technology is not there yet.

16. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Aug 1, 2018

luigimario , Aug 1, 2018 :
    I would like to see OP expand their product line but I have to agree with other posters here that it doesn't seem feasible, at least not yet.

I like how Xiaomi has a bunch of different stuff for really good prices but hate how I can't get it in north america. i'd love to see OP do the same but realize it's not a huge company yet. I'm ok with them just focusing on a few products and doing it really well. I would like to see 1 or 2 more price points for phones though because I'm finding the flagship price to be a little out of my range.

I think if OP keeps making great products and building its customer base, it will eventually become a large multinational that is well known everywhere. At that point they may be able to expand the product line into a whole bunch of stuff. While there is a decent selection of accessories, one that I'd really like to see is a dash charge power bank. I know there was a survey on the forums and that it was deemed infeasible, probably because not enough people were interested or were not willing to pay enough to make it worth producing. Hopefully that changes eventually.

Another nice product line would be themed accessories and phones. Like the Star Wars and Ironman phones they released, other accessories like branded cases or headphones would be cool too. I would expect a limited run of the items because they wouldn't sell as much as the regular cases/accessories.

To conclude, as much as I'd like to see an expanded product line, I accept that OP has found it's place as a phone manufacturer and as one that keeps a smaller product line that it services very well. Even though Samsung is the biggest android phone maker, it doesn't have updates as often as OP and unless you have a (crazy expensive) flagship from Samsung, you won't get many updates or service. I'm happier with the limited line of OP phones and the awesome service and updates I receive.

17. 1sri
    Froyo Aug 2, 2018

1sri , Aug 2, 2018 :
    There are few things 1+ as a company needs to know! SPECS! We have the latest processor and ram. Rest of the things are pretty old. 1080p screen is present from 1+1. The camera is not the best out there!

It's a pretty OLD spec sheet we have here! No wonder others are doing so well. I hope it does well next year. Cuz, many players are upgrading. Competitive environment necessitates adaptability. It is the small things like having options that will make us satisfied. Even though micro SD cards have slower r/w, even though we won't use wireless charging, even though we don't need IP certification, just include it. Its future proof and we feel safe!

Our thoughts must have crossed their minds. The answer to our questions would be cost optimization.

Satisfaction needs to be optimized too! It comes at a higher price. I feel people will shell out to about $700, for next OnePlus 7! Other players include lot more value for $700. If people need to buy OP7, Here's my suggestion.

Tie up with good camera manufactures(~nikon, cannon) and get the job done. Don't delay( & compromise ) in camera performance. Upgrade to 2k AMOLED display. Add bigger battey(~5000mAh). Include wireless charging. Use exceptional stereo speakers. Get it IP certified for underwater photography. Include an SD card slot. Only have 128gb model. It suits even hard core gamers! Have 12gb RAM

Retail only 1 OP7 12gb|128gb with above specs for $699. People are anxiously waiting for new spec sheet from 1+. Hopefully it'll sell like hot chocolate!

18. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Aug 2, 2018

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Aug 2, 2018 :
    even though it is still 1080p, the quality of panel is a good one. but yeah, they must upgrade to QHD atleast next year.

IP certification would be nice, but I am glad that they have already made it water resistant. hopefully they will spend some more to get it certified.

microSD card - atleast a hybrid sim, if not 2 Sims plus microSD is the least they can do.

$700 will be too much. they have already hovering around the ceiling price. breaching it upwards would mean a shift in their strategy w.r.t the phone. further, at the price they will find it difficult to compete on the hardware front with the likes of LG, Samsung, even Huawei.

1sri likes this.
  19. 1sri
    Froyo Aug 2, 2018

1sri , Aug 2, 2018 :
    Yes that's correct. We can't have the other components of the phone refreshed for $500 as they would have to do it under loss.

I think for the OP7 people would stretch as far as $700 Cuz we now know that we need to pay the premium for the services that we expect. It's better to retail only 128gb|12gb model. 256gb is a marketing strategy for little higher profits.

But honestly I'm fed up looking at the same numbers in the spec sheet. Hence, I skipped the op6 and I'm waiting for op7 with better specs all-round! Many have skipped op6. We could stretch as far as $800 and get pixel 3 64gb

20. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Aug 2, 2018

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Aug 2, 2018 :
    pricing won't and shouldn't be more than 10% of the previous iteration, unless they are launching an altogether new model.