[Let's Talk] Should OnePlus expand its product portfolio...

1. 1sri
    Froyo Aug 2, 2018

1sri , Aug 2, 2018 :
    Yeah. The internal components might come at a lower price. But I think high res screen, big battery, wireless charging, IP certification will cost on an overall $100 more. Do correct me if I'm wrong. And the company is growing fast and employee salaries, stores, marketing & profits need to be matched

2. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Aug 2, 2018

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Aug 2, 2018 :
    they will make some compromises to keep increase in costs proportional to the increase in selling price they set for the device. they are pretty much building the device for a pre determined price.

3. MaxsoundCarAudio
    Gingerbread Aug 3, 2018

MaxsoundCarAudio , Aug 3, 2018 :
    For me the OP6 does everything I need it to , everyone's needs are different so personal preferences really.

4. hikari_kobushi
    Froyo Aug 3, 2018

hikari_kobushi , Aug 3, 2018 :
    We customers love when our favourite brands expand and release brand new product. There is so many fans waiting every year for new iPhone, new iPad, new MacBook, new Watch and plethora of accessories. Personally I love when brand has something to offer except smartphones. Let's take Sony as example here. My brand loyalty is very high and long lasting if brand is fair with me I will stick with them, therefore I own Sony's different products like TV, two Consoles, Phone, Power Bank, Memory Cards, docking station, Bluetooth speaker etc. In the past I also owned smartwatch and tablet but these got a bit outdated. Now, let's translate it to OnePlus, what's the possibile for us to buy?... Phones, Cover, Backpack, charger and that's about it.

Expansion should be natural thing for growing company as profits have to be invested somewhere.

I don't mean for OP to release as tablet as these might be to much of a risk but lack of a Pebble like smartwatch in the market could be covered by new-old player. These smartwatches with E-Ink displays can be very cheap and be long lasting like Pebble used to be.

I mentioned in one of my posts about partnerships about potential of this products and I believe these would be more successful than Tablets.

I have opted for smartwatch as next step for new product in portfolio as I don't believe there is need for mid-range phone with budget price tag when we already have flagship device with mid-range price tag. Cheaper phone is very unlikely to convice current OP owners to buy secondary device but new Smartwatch would.

I just ordered OnePlus Travel Backpack and I already own OP3T which I plan to keep for at least 12-18 months. Is there anything else that I would buy with "1+" logo on it? Not really... But I am still waiting for my prefect Smartwatch.

5. johneebee
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Aug 4, 2018

johneebee , Aug 4, 2018 :
    Should oneplus expand its product portfolio? In my opinion yes for sure! But I think the wise thing to do would be to do it at a very slow pace. And not to put some accessories on the market that are not of the same quality as a flagship phone. If I wanted products that came from a company that also sells phones and makes subpar accessories but for a higher price by smacking their brand logo onto it, then there are some obvious other choices to go for (pretty sure I don’t have to name them).

Also as they are a smallish company I do think they should do as much research into consumer interest and start by making a product that interacts greatly with their smartphone. I was really surprised by the well thought of integration of magnetic control in the wireless bullets and this proves that they are capable of being creative and capable of bringing something new on the market and not just another generic device with their logo on it.

If I would have to choose then like many others I would now first go for producing a smartwatch that has some nifty integration features, actually making me pull my phone out of my pocket less and saving my time. I think many partnerships that they already made for producing their phones (like for example deals with display manufactures) would benefit them, possibly making production cheaper.

A second option for me would of course be a new powerbank with dash charging technology. The company already made a powerbank in the past so they have the experience and connections with manufacturers. All they would need is some research as into making it actually something new, possibly giving it an extra feature to make it unique( I think for example for a “find my phone” button or maybe the capability to put other outlets into it then only USB-C cables. Or just a powerbank-case would also be nice since I really don’t mind my phone being a bit thicker for more batter.

6. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Aug 7, 2018

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Aug 7, 2018 :
    “Saving my time” - very optimistic indeed!

johneebee likes this.
  7. dasche
    Gingerbread Aug 7, 2018

dasche , Aug 7, 2018 :
    i have a very different idea.

oneplus should keep two phones in the market at a time. one: current flagship and second: 2 or 3 generations older flagship. for example with the release of 6T in November, company should release a previous generation flagship like 3T at a very lower price in June. considering the fact that 3T is still a very powerful device it will be become oneplus's budget segment device making every fan to afford it and still be able to kill all other budget devices out there.

about tablets: no body likes the tablets or pills these days. phone screens are now 6+ inches, who needs an extra 2 inch device? does not make sense. instead this, company should focus on accessories. maybe a smartwatch? gaming phone is also a better idea. but tablets = big no.

8. vimalkumar_tvpm
    Eclair Aug 23, 2018

vimalkumar_tvpm , Aug 23, 2018 :
    Sad to see prediction coming true. Pocophone F1 is here with 20,999 INR competing directly with One Plus 6. It is high time to accept these threats and implement strategy so that One Plus can survive in the market.

9. 1sri
    Froyo Aug 23, 2018

1sri , Aug 23, 2018 :
    Have the high end flagship line of models.
    Have another low end model with Android one

10. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Aug 23, 2018

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Aug 23, 2018 :
    OnePlus isn't trying to build a range of smartphones. they just want to be the leader in the premium budget segment.

Realme (another Oppo sub-brand) is making the budget devices. why should OnePlus do it?

the 8 inch device is great for watching movies and playing games. the experience is significantly better on the additional 2 inch display size. try it before forming an opinion.

11. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Aug 23, 2018

and how will the low end Android One be different from Mi A2? don't think OnePlus can beat Xiaomi on the pricing front. Xiaomi has much larger economies of scale to bring down unit costs.

12. 1sri
    Froyo Aug 23, 2018

1sri , Aug 23, 2018 :
    True.

We can give a go. Because people love OnePlus in the high end market. And people love stock Android. Combination will draw people in lower segment. It will help move up the price of higher segment

13. dasche
    Gingerbread Aug 23, 2018

dasche , Aug 23, 2018 :
    thanks for your valuable reply. No thanks for judging my experience at your own. I do have some usage experience on different kinds of devices including 4 inch to 10 inch tablets. did you ever see 4 inch tablet? JK. ;)

14. moskito99
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 23, 2018

15. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Aug 23, 2018

as far as I can tell, majority prefer Oxygen OS over stock Android, because for the most part, Oxygen OS is stock Android plus a few useful customisations.

OnePlus doesn't want the brand to cater to that segment of the market. Realme is serving that segment.

16. 1sri
    Froyo Aug 23, 2018

1sri , Aug 23, 2018 :
    That's a good idea. But what if people buy android one devices from OnePlus for <$200. In India it will sell a lot and become a serious competitor for Xiaomi.

In high end we will get much optimized Oxygen OS

17. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Aug 23, 2018

that is what I said earlier - OnePlus won't be able to beat Xiaomi on pricing. customers would get better hardware from Xiaomi and software would be same.

18. 1sri
    Froyo Aug 23, 2018

1sri , Aug 23, 2018 :
    So basically why to leave out the low end market. Currently few are unhappy that OP6 prices have gone beyond $300.

In India it'll sell out pretty fast. Given brand name. It ll give us the much waited opportunity to bump up the prices for high end

19. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Aug 23, 2018

I have explained that in the original post.

20. 1sri
    Froyo Aug 23, 2018

1sri , Aug 23, 2018 :
    Alright. Thanks.