Let's Talk: Techosystem

1. Batman360
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Nov 17, 2020

Batman360 , Nov 17, 2020 :
    techeco.png

Namaste everyone! Winter has officially arrived and so is the festive season. And as we are approaching towards the end of the infamous year 2020, there has been many tech launches in this year, and many tech companies have launched their product virtually and in the most creative way possible, may it be OnePlus Nord, iPhone 12, PS5, Xbox Series X and many more. But we tend to forget the small things being launched too, the things which make the experience of these main players even more impressive, interactive and smooth. So, let’s shed some light on these amazing techs and how they help build the future of a company or the tech industries in general.

Introduction to Techosystem:
    By now, I guess everyone must be familiar with the term IoT, OnePlus recently hosted an Online Open Ear Forum on this topic too. And for those who doesn’t know what it is, this segment is for you guys.

So, what is IoT?
    IoT stand for “Internet of Things”. It basically is a system of objects that interconnects with each other via internet, to exchange data, transfer and collect data wirelessly, without the intervention of any human. Though it is a very well-known term these days, the possibilities are still endless.

One of the words that is related to IoT is “Ecosystem”. We all know what ecosystem is in an environmental context, but when technology is concerned the term changes to Tech Ecosystem – a virtual environment created by technological objects connected with each other to make your lives easier. These objects may be accessories like earphones, watches, etc. and then come bigger things like TV, laptops, PCs or even home appliances like fridges.

There are variety of such objects in the world these days and they are growing exponentially. But now a question arises – why was there a need to create such ecosystem of technologies in the first place? If you seek the answer to this question, all you have to do is scroll down.

Why create an ecosystem?

Natural ecosystems are all about long term survival. Similarly ,ecosystem of technology helps the technology to grow and survive a long time, along with us, making our life much easier every passing year. Two decades ago, who would have thought that one could just check ones’ heart rate, blood oxygen level, calories, pick up calls, reply to messages, just by flicking ones’ wrist.

Well, here we are now, complaining how they don't have Always on Displays. It's funny how we get bored of these amazing things easily. This boredom of ours is making this industry grow even more, with something new coming up every day and smartwatches are just one example. Having an interconnected web of things is always convenient than having to figure out how to untangle your earphones. There are broadly two kind of needs to create an ecosystem:

1.) For users like me – We want to be as lazy as possible. Jokes apart, with this busy life of ours’, we all need to be in sync with our work and life, we don’t want to miss out on important updates or news. We also don’t really want to go off the grid with all this social media stuff, so instead of having to be glued to our smartphones, there is an easier way of doing things without having to carry them around. Imagine you are cycling and you need to check time or know about the traffic ahead, you can’t take out your phone every time you need to check for this, but when you have wireless earphones plugged in, you can always ask your virtual assistant to help you out.

This even applies to smart appliances – like light bulb. Since I don't have a light switch beside my bed, this one is a personal favorite of mine. I always had to get out of my bed to turn off the light, which was particularly bad in the winter, having to get out of the comfort of your quilt and submitting yourself to the coldness. But then came the smart bulb and all my problems were solved, now the light bulb turns off on my command 😉 These are only some of the examples, there are many more but you get the gist of the importance of having a technological ecosystem from the viewpoint of a user.

2.) For tech industries: This is how these industries grow. If the OS is top notch and clean, why not let the users have the taste of it in everything and with this the company can set more money aside from selling the smartphones and do more research and come up with better products in the future. When the OS is fine-tuned, like the Oxygen OS, iOS, etc. people are ready to throw in their money to try that OS experience in other gadgets and accessories too. And with the sync being flawless across devices, these industries build up their reputation and gain the trust of their users, which helps them stay competitive and come up with new innovations.

But should a user be restricted to this virtual ecosystem or left free to roam around and explore new and more amazing stuff? Well the heading of next segment will pique your interest regarding this matter.

Android v/s iOS ecosystem:

andios.png

Well, no matter how much anyone love or hate Apple for their out-of-the-box money-making strategies, they sure do deliver a smooth and seamless OS experience across all their devices. The downside is how they restrict or bind users in their ecosystem and build up walls across the boundaries with fences on, so that the user will never leave their ecosystem and keep purchasing whatever they throw at them.

It’s a very clever tactic but a risky one too. For example, let’s talk about the Apple watch – most people using Android devices love it but can’t use it because it's only compatible with iPhones. This is how bold Apple are with making a statement and knowing their user base. But on the downside, people don’t get to use an amazing technology unless they own an iPhone.

On the other hand, there is Android ecosystem. I like to think it as an open playground, where there is no limit, no boundaries, you are free to choose anything, with no strings attached and zero terms and conditions. There are so many things to explore in here, but not all are good, a filter is needed between good and bad and that filter is called the Android OS, whichever company builds a cleaner and smoother OS, their users have their back.

The drawback with having so many options is that the competition is so strong that only a handful of companies could deliver such a smooth-running ecosystem and then the competition narrows down to only few of the companies. Google is trying hard to integrate these things and companies like OnePlus, Samsung, OPPO, MI and some other known brands are working with them to provide us with a playground where we could choose the smart products manufactured by any of them, no matter which device you use.

I could go on and on in this Android vs iOS ecosystem war but I want to hear your thoughts too on this, so, feel free to share your thoughts in the comments.

Techosystem: Harmful or useful in long run?
    Creating an ecosystem consisting of smart devices is the only way forward to the future, it is inevitable *snaps fingers*. And if you ask me, I see no harm in having this in a long run. Creating an ecosystem always compliments the OS you are using in your smartphone and gives an overall better experience. I’m always looking forward to the companies launching more and more tech accessories rather than smartphones, we have reached a limit where companies can easily focus their research on these products for the time being, rather than launching a new device every month with minute changes (but that’s just my opinion). Imagine a world where every small thing you could imagine would be operated by just your thumb or your voice, yes that! This is not so far from being a reality.

And here a question for you too: What do you think about this ecosystem? Would you love living in a smart home or just a regular one?

---
    This is a Writers' Club thread. OnePlus is always looking forward to highlighting great content from its community. If you have an amazing idea for a new thread you'd like to share or have already written an engaging thread you feel like everyone would like to read, please use this form to let us know.

2. HarshKK14
    Honeycomb Nov 17, 2020

HarshKK14 , Nov 17, 2020 :
    Smart homes, especially if connected through a voice assistant, can never be privacy friendly. Do anyone remember the incident when apple allowed contractors eavesdrop on Siri’s sex recordings (https://nypost.com/2019/08/28/apple...ontractors-eavesdrop-on-siris-sex-recordings/).

If a company like apple can breach privacy so badly, how much can you believe others. I don't feel smart homes are safe, atleast with the current safety standards. Normal house will be better for privacy and will also very slight help reduce your obesity 😂. Move your butt and do some work.

3. Oreo.
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Nov 17, 2020

Oreo. , Nov 17, 2020 :
    Since humans have found means of survival they've aimed for convenience which is turning into leisure. As far as it is concerned to me, I have no issues with such ecosystems unless it inhibits my daily human activities

4. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 17, 2020

Yash Pratap Singh. , Nov 17, 2020 :
    Really nice thread @Batman360 :), well elaborated! I think that the launch of 'OnePlus Wotch' would complete OnePlus's ecosystem.:D
    According to me, this ecosystem makes it easier for users to carry out their daily tasks with ease. A complete ecosystem will mean full accessibility and a more improved compatibility.;)
    I would definitely love to live in a smart home because for me, life will be much easier. Voice commands for almost everything, smartphone control from 3 cities away just via internet or a compatibility app. However, it will increase the number of physically unhealthy people by providing them everything by just a voice command.:sweatsmile:

Y1603743008207 and Cassius N. like this.
  5. ststeja
    Donut Nov 17, 2020

6. sumitMZ007
    Honeycomb Nov 17, 2020

sumitMZ007 , via OnePlus 6 , Nov 17, 2020 :
    When 5G will come these things will become so seamless and fast that it will become part of daily life. some young kids don't even know what's is Meant by buffering on YouTube.they say it's loading!!! IoT is things of future. I'm more interested in smart bulb,smart alarm display, smart air purifier, fridge etc ..many possibilities are ahead!!!

7. manojsurya99
    Jelly Bean Nov 17, 2020

Cassius N. likes this.
  8. Sheik_Nawaz
    Gingerbread Nov 17, 2020

9. Jayesh1190
    Gingerbread Nov 17, 2020

Cassius N. likes this.
  10. Chirag_Gohil
    Honeycomb Nov 17, 2020

Cassius N. likes this.
  11. I1605640219211
    Cupcake Nov 17, 2020

Cassius N. likes this.
  12. SRD.
    KitKat Nov 17, 2020

Cassius N. likes this.
  13. W1560475177415
    Cupcake Nov 17, 2020

14. Dhee_Raj_rio
    Cupcake Nov 17, 2020

15. AritraDeb
    Froyo Nov 17, 2020

AritraDeb , via OnePlus Nord , Nov 17, 2020 :
    I do appreciate the idea of an ecosystem. The best example is perhaps the iPhone SE. In India, you need to pay some 35k for an iPhone and boom! Few years later, you are paying 70k for a better screen and camera. The SE is just Apple's way of roping in more and more users to the Apple ecosystem. And honestly, I don't hate it. It's a winner movie!
    On the Android side, other than Samsung, I don't think there is any brand that can claim an ecosystem. Google is close, but still, Samsung leads. OnePlus, as of now, is miles away from claiming an ecosystem: But, if they however create an ecosystem, I'd love to be a part of it provided that I don't migrate to some other brand by then! 😅

16. OmarRolon
    Gingerbread Nov 17, 2020

17. mmohansasanka
    Froyo Nov 17, 2020

mmohansasanka , via OnePlus 7T , Nov 17, 2020 :
    First of all, great to see a good post on Tech-Eco system. Android is still on its way to keep things upright with regard to building an ecosystem. Byt Apple is very well established in that.
    I am an Apple fan boy until I found my OnePlus 7t (I quoted I am not I was because I still love Apple Products and still using iPhone SE1). We need a seamless iPad type of device, we need a seamless apps experience, we need a seamless MacBook like device, we need seamless Apple watch experience, we need many more from Google.
    But for budget friendly people like me, OnePlus is been a boon. We have a very good Phone with stock android experience (Android 11 is not available yet). My OnePlus Bullets Z (seamlessly switches between my phone and laptop). Waiting for OnePlus watch and also an iPad like device and a MacBook like device from OnePlus to take up this to next level.

Regarding smart home, ofcourse I am very well damn good to live in a smart home obviously.

Cassius N. likes this.
  19. chicagoron
    Gingerbread Nov 18, 2020

chicagoron , via OnePlus 8T , Nov 18, 2020 :
    It all comes down to privacy for me. Big reason I will never own a voice assistance device like echo or anything along those lines. I get it makes things a little easierto an extent, but if you can't live without em, goes to show how lazy you really are that you can't do simple tasks that have been done for many years without anything smart tech related to it.

20. ntquyet143
    Gingerbread Nov 18, 2020