[Let's Talk] Was there anything about the most recent OnePlus device that surprised you?

1. Sharran39 Froyo Mar 20, 2018

Sharran39, Mar 20, 2018 :
    every update of one plus is a valuable surprise for me, everytime they bring new features rectify bugs
    of course laucher updates are the best cus no one likes to look at their mobile like same old grandma teeth
    but then there were few issues which got me shocked and surprised lemme share it here
    1. when 5 t was released the removal of the telephoto lens was shocking and made me freak out but the camera was still good thaks to one plus software updates
    2.the price of one plus 5t ,i had already decided before the release of one plus 5 t to buy it,when it was released,i was too eager to buy .on the first time ,when i saw the price I couldn't believe my eyes the price was same as the one plus 5
    i thought it would have been my fault not seeing it properly so again i refreshed the window
    still the price was unchanged, amazing isnt it
    3. to be on the content ,'recently' i dropped my mobile from my pockets ,my mobile fell face down and my face went down
    my heart got paused for a moment,it was like the second has paused and elongated,but then when i lifted my mobile from the ground, i found the tempered was the only thing that was broken ,that was a close call isnt it?, there i astonished on how amazing are the one plus products
    4 . to go to the past , the day i got my mobile
    i switched from iPhone to one plus
    after setting up the device i wanted to charge it
    i gave the mobile its fuel and went to bath
    and then i came and peeked into the mobile
    seeing 58 percentage was the biggest surprise of my history
    i never saw a mobile charging that fast .
    5 the os of oneplus gets smoother and smoother everyday
    one day im sure that one plus will the fastest mobile in this world, actually my friend with note 8 is struggling to open his apps fast while i go swiftly through them

meatandy, Dresa91 and Ruby G. like this.
  2. dcmcc24 KitKat Mar 20, 2018

dcmcc24, Mar 20, 2018 :
    Every OnePlus device seems to have a thing or two that surprises me and the OnePlus 5T was no exception @Ruby G. ! With the 5T your tagline was "a new view", but I was quite skeptical of the choice to use a 18x9 screen as well as the choice to continue using 1080P panels.

After purchasing my 5T and ripping it out of the box like a kid on Christmas morning, I immediately pressed the power button and powered on the display to be greeted by a gorgeous oled panel like OnePlus has never used before. The colors were vivid, the blacks were blacker than they had ever been before, and there wasn't any backlight bleed or screen issues like with some previous phones(OnePlus 5 jello effect, I'm looking at you!). I put it side by side with some other phones with 1440P screens like the Pixel 2 XL and to my surprise I actually preferred reading things on the OnePlus phone despite the lower resolution! Moving to the 18x9 screen also allows for much more viewable real estate when viewing websites, reading ebooks, responding to group chats, and other daily tasks. A nice side effect is in video apps it also allows the video to fill up more of the screen since most movies were filmed in longer aspect ratios.

Another thing that surprised me was the camera. I had read and watched many reviews of the 5T before getting mine in my hands and the overwhelming majority said the camera was good, but nothing special, so I wasn't that excited to actually go out and take photos with it. I decided to go out and take some photos with it one day and to my surprise the photos were just as good or even better in some instances than the Pixel 2 XL I tested it against. Detail was very good in well lit situations and in dark or low light situations especially, the OnePlus 5T outperformed the Pixel 2 XL consistently.

I look forward to the OnePlus 6 and what it can surprise me with as well!

3. BobbyV8_ The Showcase Reviewer Mar 20, 2018

BobbyV8_, Mar 20, 2018 :
    Every piece of tech is a surprise to a tech enthusiast. Question is how good that gained my attention and how far it did to seduce me into buying it. While budget is a constraint to purchase every device that manages to get me buy it, I can still be amazed of the many wonders tech does.

Speaking of the latest OnePlus device the 5T, it managed to grab my attention, I was waiting for how it would turn up. Leaks and speculations these days ruin the fun yet they are all just speculations. What turns out to be the real device is something that no speculation or leak can assure about.

While it is a known fact that many companies get the public involved in the early access to get feedback of their products, involving public can be a risky task as the specifications and the device details get leaked to competitors. What did these companies come up to counter this is what we call leaks speculations. However not all sources can be official and accurate. So while revealing how the device can be, it also maintains a bit of suspense.

The launch even of 5T seemed to be similar to what we call a keynote by the Apple Inc. Still it's good to see people who represent a company to speak for the community. I'll skip the descriptions to keep it short. Finally the moment has arrived and 5T is revealed to the world. What I saw that moment can't be unseen for the rest of my life - speculations becoming true. a sleek, tender, sexy device with the new display style in accordance with the market trend.

What did we lose to achieve the new trend is what surprised me. For me OnePlus is a company for the tech lovers, providing awesome hardware bundled with optimised software. Designing their devices as precise as a sculptor shapes up his new structure is their passion for what they do. This time i was left disappointed by the design.

I was telling @NeVeR_SeTTLe that the back fingerprint sensor will not happen but it was moved back. We failed to achieve the premium look of a OnePlus. Design is not everything one wants in a piece of tech. The main part being focused is it's specs and performance.

As usual it sports huge RAM & storage & is shipped with latest processor. Design is as on the 5 with exceptions being screen and finger print sensor. There isn't any significant change in camera as we saw with 3T. The recent reports of the Oil painting effect left me amazed not understanding the company's take on it's strategies with camera department.

Display was upgraded to the 18:9 aspect ratio and now is even bigger . This was surely a down for me. While i preferred large screens, the ideal size would be 5 to 5.5 inches. any more than that would be tough for many people to handle it one handed.

Fingerprint sensor placed back gave the device rather a cheap look. Using it might not be an issue, but for me it isn't everything. Premium looks + killer features + usability gives any device the respect it need. The smoothness, battery backup and stockish feel of classic OnePlus still remains.

Overall 5T has been a slight disappointment with the increased screen size, back finger print sensor & the camera performance. It is a great device priced little higher than the usual price point and made me feel OnePlus is running behind to be a big player by focusing on the raised pricing strategy. However the fact that it's a good pick still remains in my opinion.

4. raja.d Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 20, 2018

raja.d, Mar 20, 2018 :
    Actually Many Things surprised me....
    1. Design of OnePlus 5T and build quality.. realky superb.
    2. Hype of the Op5t Camera but till now it's not as good as oneplus marketed. i am really surprised that OnePlus 5t does not have telephoto lens like Oneplus 5... Picture details was better in Oneplus 5.
    3. Till now no Front Camera Portrait Mode available. all the brand now given the portrait mode to their entry level device also...
    4. Android 8.1 beta update... but need to fix the bugs quickly.
    5. So quick Face Unlock Features and finger print. if oneplus manage to give finger print id in the front it would be easy to use...
    6. Gesture Features awesome now its more polished... working lije charm..
    7. 18:9 bright oled full hd+ Display quality awesome..
    8. Periodic updates of the beta and official rom.. really hats off to the op team member for so much work....
    9. Oneplus Switch App really help lot.
    10. 3 Version of the same phone launched
    11. Dash Chraging Speed
    12. Battery Backup also very good...
    13. need to optimise all the app and 18:9 upscale all the app needed...
    14. no water and dust proof ip68 certified... really waiting for that for oneplus 6...these days water and dustproff really essential for any flagship grade phone...
    15. Now need to release all the colour variant from the first day.... really miss the sandstone...
    16. Also its does not contain a earphone... need earphone from the next model onwards..
    17. Please release 128gb model standard varient or give dedicated micro sd slot. because this days people capture every moment of their life... 64gb base varient not enough....
    18. hope oneplus 5t support in future Google Project treble. so we can get easy and quick update...

need to more improve the camera picture quality and front potrait mode and other little bug fix and mist importantly security update.

Hope you will make new design just not copy the design and also add new features in the future updates.

Best of Luck Team OnePlus...
    Thanks

5. TheSpoken Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 20, 2018

TheSpoken, Mar 20, 2018 :
    The Oneplus 5t surprised me in a manner that was both positive and negative.
    I'll start with the positives. Dash charge was still pretty great and I was glad to see it back. The charging is pretty much unrivaled and a staple of the Oneplus/Oppo brands. I enjoy it a lot on my 3t. The sunlight display feature also was unexpected, I've never heard of a software workaround like that before. The way the cameras were also implemented for low light rather than the standard telephoto lens was also pretty cool. The battery life on the phone is legendary and the implementation of face unlock was well appreciated.
    Now the negative. Them copying Oppo for their phone wasn't something I appreciated, especially considering they strayed from the unique designs that they've implemented on the Oneplus One to the 3t. The same old 1080p screen (that isn't too bright) was a big surprise. The painting effect of the Oneplus 5t and its effectively useless 2nd camera was also a huge negative.
    It's a 50-50, I'm not gonna mooch up just to say the 5t was somehow a groundbreaking device because it wasn't, it was full of flaws that the Oneplus 6 needs to fix. A better camera, an improved screen, a unique body, and better cost to price ratio would be my wants for the next phone.

meatandy, Ruby G. and Dresa91 like this.
  6. Naveenkumar BS Honeycomb Mar 20, 2018

Naveenkumar BS, Mar 20, 2018 :
    We've been following OnePlus and its journey to build a better flagship phone For Years. Along the way, it managed a feat that's difficult for even the biggest conglomerates: The company kept outdoing itself. I don't mean to spoil the fun here, but the team has done it again with the OnePlus 5. Really, what's most striking is just how much this tiny company managed to get right in a phone that costs less than $550 (more on that later). It might not have every single whiz-bang feature that you'll find in other flagship smartphones, but the thoughtful balance of style, power and price make it a star.

7. V1519670915349 Cupcake Mar 20, 2018

V1519670915349, Mar 20, 2018 :
    Hi, from last 2-3 days whike making the call my voice is not reachable to the other person. Please tell me what can be the problem and how can it will resolve?

Dresa91 likes this.
  8. Akshay_Nalavade Froyo Mar 20, 2018

Akshay_Nalavade, Mar 20, 2018 :
    I stopped using the face unlock feature on the OP5. why??
    Well I found that I could unlock it even when my eyes are closed. So I found it to be unsecure.
    I went back to my fingerprint scanner.

Dresa91 likes this.
  9. Dresa91 Oreo Mar 20, 2018

Dresa91, Mar 20, 2018 :
    To be honest: no!

I think it's a pity that OnePlus means jumping up on every "trend" instead of concentrating on "core competence".

It started "then" with the first T-version: Why did you have to launch a OnePlus 3T and later a OnePlus5T?

I think it's enough to concentrate(!) on bringing a flagship killer to market once a year.

Apple only releases one device a year (apart from the Plus version). But Apple would not launch a device in March and then a device in August.

Therefore OnePlus should go back to its roots: Besides the OS, it also builds the hardware that easily manages to put all other devices in the current year.

This makes it easier to concentrate on new developments.

T-models can still exist - they should only come onto the market if developments do not differ greatly from their predecessors. For example, if it is just a better camera (megapixel) or more RAM.

For other changes, for example, you can change the name from OnePlus 5 to OnePlus 6.

Don't confuse and prank your customers and especially the community. Remember where you come from and who you are here for!

This is the only way you can continue to offer great hardware at competitive prices, expand your market position and steal customers from Samsung or Apple.

Oxygen OS is a great operating system - in combination with the hardware OnePlus is a beast. Or should be.

If OnePlus has fewer device variations in its portfolio, then OnePlus can also concentrate better on developing the operating system, as there are fewer interfaces.

Therefore: Please, rather bring one device per year (because of me also a "normal" and a "plus" device, which differs in RAM and perhaps display size), but do not want to force this "T-model" onto the market. So only those who are looking forward to a OnePlus, have saved to buy the device in June/July and then learn that only two to three months later a better device for the same price is available on the market.

idkwhoiam322, meatandy and Ruby G. like this.
  10. Chungtd Gingerbread Mar 20, 2018

Chungtd, Mar 20, 2018 :
    This is my story.

I was a loyal Blackberry user which used many BlackBerry devices for nearly 10 years. It was an uneasy decision to switch from BlackBerry 7 to OS10, then a hard one to switch from OS10 to Blackberry – Android. The last BlackBerry device I had was Blackberry Priv. I like its design and its physical and touch keyboard which I really could fly with it. However, with a device like Priv, things are slow: checking an email: waiting; opening a song: waiting, and only game I installed was Pokemon Go which was so laggy on it. While that game was still hot and trendy, I was the one step out of it.

Then, I took a very difficult step to switch from Priv to another Android. After hours of reading and searching, talking with friends (even my friend working for HTC), I made my decision and until now, I think I made a right one: choosing OnePlus 5T (128Gb, 8Gb of RAM):

- Cost effective: no other “flagship” phone was able to beat the price of 5T
    - Performance: supper. No lagging, no waiting time, great multi-task
    - World of freedom: as an inherent feature of Android with million available apps, however, with 5T, I witnessed a new level: All apps can run smoothly on my phone.
    - Price/Performance: No other branches can beat OnePlus.

As I wrote before, there are still many things to do to improve the phone. OnePlus creates great phones, and you are capable of making them greater. Please do so, such as:
    - Improve typing experiences (new gestures for keyboard)
    - Support HD streaming for Amazon Prime.

Wish you all the best!

meatandy, Dresa91 and Ruby G. like this.
  11. Eduardo G. Gingerbread Mar 20, 2018

Eduardo G., Mar 20, 2018 :
    Hi, I think I don't need so many words to describe what I like about this phone, I was especially surprised by its speed, if... speed, speed, I would say it so many times that even my own OnePlus 5T would always win me over, plus the facial unlocking left me with my mouth open, I needed to cover the top with my hand to know if the phone was really blocked, impressive and of course, the battery life, this has given me life, if gentlemen, in my previous phone only had a duration of 3 to 4 hours of screen time and now, what can I say? 10 hours display time... ooooooohhhhhhhh!!!!!!If I'm speechless, uuuuffffff updates with Oreo with the latest version and those new gestures, I'm the envy of my friends with more expensive phone and they should be better but the OPT5 beats them at everything. Finally the fast charge makes me not worry about if the phone is not charged, as I said at the beginning, it has given me life... hehehe, OnePlus only needs to improve the camera but for me is not the most important thing, has it noticed what I really like... truth? Thank you.
    Thank you.

meatandy likes this.
  12. Bouncer71 KitKat Mar 20, 2018

meatandy likes this.
  13. Drasm19 Honeycomb Mar 20, 2018

Drasm19, Mar 20, 2018 :
    "Huh, that was easy!"

She looked at me with her brown eyes, the years haven't been kind to her, but those eyes are still the same.

"Ma, this is still in beta, there will be some hiccups, are you sure you want this?"

I know that gestures are far easier than navigation buttons. She always found those small buttons hard to use.

"What does beta mean?"

She looked at me, like a small kid who was worried about her favorite toy being taken away by parents.

"Ma, beta builds are unstable, like those naughty kids in your school. They are unpredictable, yet have more features than your stable ROMs."

She was a retired principal with 30+ years of experience in dealing with kids. This is the best example I could think of.

"I still want this, as a teacher I always enjoyed working with naughty kids. Regular kids are so boring.. umm.. predictable."

"Ma, I'll be leaving tomorrow evening, if your phone gets messed up, then I won't be able to help you, stable builds are more...stable!...are you sure you want this?"

She was an iPhone user for last four years, I got her a brand new Lava Red OnePlus 5T a couple of months ago, but I wasn't sure if beta was a good choice for someone who didn't know anything about Android.

"Okay, then beta it is, don't upgrade your phone unless I tell you to do so, I'll make sure that the future updates are good, if they aren't, then simply don't upgrade."

It'll be another four months before I get to see her again. I just wanted to be sure.

"Huh, Nobody tells me what to do with my phone, if I want to upgrade it, I will. If it crashes or doesn't work, you can come back and fix it"

She never liked when somebody told her what to do. I had to accept my defeat.

"Sam..?"

She was reading some book and didn't even bother to look up.

"Yes, ma.."

My spider senses told me that I was about to be lectured.

"You know what, it's good to take risks once in a while, it tells you a lot about life and yourself. Sadly, you were always a stable build, never taking chances, so disappointing!"

"Me, stable..?"

I was dumbfounded for a moment and before I could mumble some words, she struck one last blow.

"....and boring.'

I guess the gestures in the latest beta were by far the best feature that my mom liked and it goes without saying that she loves the Lava Red OnePlus 5t.

Thankyou OnePlus,
    - The boring son.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018

ClarkNarvas, meatandy and Ruby G. like this.
  14. anandsgr18 Jelly Bean Mar 20, 2018

anandsgr18, Mar 20, 2018 :
    yes ... got surprised when saw my phone back cover paint started getting chiping off.

yes I was surprised after buying OnePlus 5 and saw the camera performance since December degrading in each software update really surprised me.

the most surprising thing was that even after 100 times of complaining and 1000 complaining post there were no solution or fox for the camera .

yes I was surprised with the portrait mode which failed many a times for the edge detection.

surprised !! ohh yes I was surprised with the customer support when saw people complaining and the service centre were treating them without any sense of manner .

ohh yes surprised !! when we learnt that these devices aren't gonna get project treble .

surprised ! yes I was surprised with the launch of 5t ! ( with the same price tag as of 5) ( anyway that's your business prototype, but I included it because you asked what surprised me )

surprised !! yes Mr. ! I got surprised with the effort of bug fixing .

( reported a bug in last December, got replyed from your team that the bug has been fixed , but even after 3 months and 2 beta updates , the bug still persist)

When you r telling about surprise !! No , actually I didn't get surprised with any of the improvement done on the devices because what I think , that when you are not able the fix the basic(like camera ) and the making 100 of things available which are not more important as user like ( feedback app ) I don't think that was much required ( though it is good to have , but can be it optional , should be available on PlayStore for download not forced )

when you are talking about surprise, please be noted that you don't deserve to ask the question because you go with tag line Moto of NEVER SETTEL .

so what ever positive you will do will not surprise me ( atleast) but a single negative !! it is like boom

when your company says , you run and develop According to the need of the user , then I am surprised, that why not the main problems are resolved.

yes I know you have millions of users who always complain everything. but you have to find out the way to handle them.

and if you find the way , please next time don't ask that what surprised me.

I am good fab of OnePlus team inspite of these problems I am facing because I think you are still better than others in market.

this it the faith of the millions other user of OnePlus and they always look forward for the best from you and to their (beast)devices.

But one thing did surprise me in positive is that the phone performance . using it since last August. Not a single time it hanged/ or freezes . performance is top notch but camera is really poor and struggle in selfie . specially with the light and the amount of painting effect.

I hope these will be solved !
    Never Settle

15. Tomhall Eclair Mar 20, 2018

Tomhall, Mar 20, 2018 :
    To be honest no, but that's because oneplus are producing top quality phones at a (relatively) budget price. there motto of never settle fits the devices that they bring out. For example the oneplus 5t is a top quality phone but has small things that change between each oneplus device, that separates it from the rest. Like for the 5t it was the moving into 2017, as well as the camera being so good. some people complain about the cameras but although they aren't as good as the pixel's camera, it's still a top quality set of snappers

16. sfomin Marshmallow Mar 20, 2018

sfomin, Mar 20, 2018 :
    Yes! Doesnt matter how much oneplus hypes up the camera, the end product is still crap. :)

Jrocci and Punk_69 like this.
  17. zheyong Froyo Mar 20, 2018

zheyong, Mar 20, 2018 :
    Though there was no actual stating on the capability of how water resistance is on OnePlus product, but they actually did make some effort on it as people test it out in real life and its water resistance really works even the 5T was being submerged in water for 5 mins. So yea, Im surprised.

Another features caught my eye is, of course, the almighty Dash Charge, while charging, the 5T is still smooth and cool even after some time of continuous using ,optimized, perfectly balanced, as all things should be. Other than that, Im surprised OnePlus made it this far.

Regards from Malaysia. Erm, hi?

Ruby G. likes this.
  18. OTTOMAN EMPİRE Cupcake Mar 20, 2018

19. Punk_69 Lollipop Mar 21, 2018

Punk_69, Mar 21, 2018 :
    Okay so I've prepared myself to prepare this long answer :rolleyes:

Well, every single oneplus device has surprised me till this day (be it good surprises or bad)

Starting from the first, the One.
    It had a unique look, it had a unique price, it had a unique identity. The One had already attracted me to OnePlus, but as I had said in a previous reply, I was using a Samsung.....
    So what surprised me?
    It's camera performance.
    It's huge bezels (which i was a fan of).
    It's looks of course.
    Not to forget that it came with CyanogenMOD inbuilt!!! It was a big surprise that a phone was launched with an inbuilt custom ROM!

Next, the OnePlus Two.
    Well it had good and bad surprises...
    The good:
    The looks were unique, the camera was good
    The bad :
    The chipset, and some software problems, and then, bad software support...
    Well Carl called it a failure, so there's nothing much to say...

Next, the OnePlus X
    Well it came before the iPhone X (i know its lame to say this :p)
    Okay so i have this phone (but now it's in my graveyard of phones, nvm)
    This phone surprised me with its looks, which was different from the previous oneplus devices.
    It had FM (a highly requested feature :p)
    It had EXPANDABLE STORAGE!!!
    It was good "low price" phone...

Then came the OnePlus 3 (my current device, the my favorite among all oneplus devices)
    It surprised me with its looks, it looked unique, plus it gives vibes of an HTC device....
    The big surprise was the RAM!!! It was the highest amount of RAM back then...
    It has a great camera ( worth mentioning that oneplus camera software is ruining its potential)
    The screen is great
    It was indeed a "killer flagship" in its glory days!!

Then came the 3t
    Well, it was just 10 to 12 days after i purchased my op3, and i started seeing teasers of yet another oneplus device...
    Well tbh i was kinda disappointed...
    So the device was the 3"t", it had a unique in the naming style...
    It had a newer processor, a better front camera.
    Then my excitement for the 3t vanished (idk how)

Then came the first iPhone clone, the OnePlus 5 :rolleyes:
    The only thing that surprised me was its looks (not in a good way) - it resembled the iPhone!!! :mad:
    Though the software is great (except for the camera i guess)

Then came the 2nd iPhone clone, and one of the biggest causes of the "butthurt" in the community - the OnePlus 5t

It's looks didn't surprise me, cuz now I know how badly oneplus likes the iPhone design, and I know how oneplus is dependent on oppo for its designs, and then one of the OnePlus staffs wil make a thread boasting about the "unique" design and stuff, and when surrounded by facts, the OP will say - notice the internal differences no....

Well one thing which did surprise me (not taking the 18:9 aspect ratio into consideration) was that secondary "low light" camera.... It has no use, it just makes low light images softer, and combined with the crap camera software, it's not good.

Well that was a lot of negativity....
    Now coming to the OnePlus Bullets V2, I'm writing about it cuz it's a OnePlus device right?
    Okay so what surprised me was its pricing, it was so cheap, but the sound quality and the music experience was so rich!!!
    I simply love it....

Next up, it's the dash charging...
    I know it's not a 'device', but yes it's worth talking about.
    Its so damn quick!!!
    Now whenever i use other chargers, i get irritated by their slow speed.... :p

So that's it for this thread, and here's the tag @Ruby G.

Ruby G., Mjo, MentalDraco and 3 others like this.
  20. Shivang Joshi The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Mar 21, 2018

Shivang Joshi, Mar 21, 2018 :
    Surprise, Surprise, Surprise[e]1f525[/e][e]1f601[/e]

1521637879055.jpg

Kytharsis and MentalDraco like this.