[Let's Talk] Was there anything about the most recent OnePlus device that surprised you?

1. MentalDraco Lollipop Mar 21, 2018

Shivang Joshi likes this.
  2. Suasage_Pizza Gingerbread Mar 21, 2018

iambear and MIRCEATEO like this.
  3. sagarmagnani Gingerbread Mar 24, 2018

sagarmagnani, Mar 24, 2018 :
    Oneplus is an innovative brand and each device is evidence of the level of innovation which the brand can achieve.
    with each device launches oneplus has taken one step forward towards achieving customer satisfaction but also achieving growth, profits and increasing presence in countries around the world.

Right from the first device till the T versions, each device has a certain level of significance, new approach and new technology to adapt to this always changing industry.

Launch of Oneplus 5T was a step by oneplus to show that with changing industry even the brand can change and so can the product.
    5T is the product which in aspects to the changes which the earlier T version mobiles have had, is a completely revamped product departing from its predecessor and creating a whole new segment with the features of the base version that is OP5 but creating a whole new species by itself.

Oneplus 5t comes armed with an amazing screen aspect ratio which mainly was adopted by the company to give a stern reply to the other competitors to show them even it can I depart from the traditional screen aspect and with the changing Trends and give its customers new product and better Technology including but not limited to screen ratio, but even giving a better built quality , better processor and striving to give them the better quality of cameras and still striving to achieve or to fulfill the neverending satiety level of its customers when it comes to camera.
    For any new launched product in order to be successful the product must fulfill certain demands by its over expecting customers, especially demands relating to camera, battery and build quality.
    Oneplus not only partially achieved that but with a new screen aspect ratio it amazed its customers who never had much demands when it came to the screen aspect ratio if not limited to only screen quality.
    The reason behind me mentioning partial achievement is because I feel that till certain extent , oneplus did screwed up with the camera and though the camera in normal and day to day operations is definitely overachieving but the logic behind dual camera I believe was under achieved with what oneplus had targeted to.

Coming to the question as to was there anything which surprised me with Oneplus 5t, my answer to the said question is mainly positive -

Oneplus departed from its traditional one device one year approach by setting the trend with the launch of oneplus 3T which was a slightly improved version of oneplus 3.
    when it came to the changes which 3T had over 3, not many users were happy specially oneplus 3 users as within 6 months their device was outdated, as to the new owners of 3T they were happy as 3T came armed with the inadequaties which were noticed in oneplus 3.

Similarly based on this new established trend, to be OP5T owners didn't expected much when it came to the features which the product may have.
    Right from its Inception in 2013, one thing which the founders have always emphasized is that whenever there was a new technology in the market they would try everything possible within the limits to ensure that the said new technology is immediately transferred into their product and it was this reason which led to the formation of oneplus 3T.

After the launch of Oneplus 5 a trend of zero bezel screen started, this rose the expectations and the demand level of the prospective buyers towards the company to come up with the device which stood in direct competition with the zero bezel devices in the market.
    As new trends, new technology had come in; the company was left with no option but to come up with a completely new version within the limited T Series to satisfy its customers.

The obvious most differentiating feature of 5t is definitely it's screen.Being a 5T user myself I can't even expect or even think of using the phones with the Legacy or Traditional screens because those devices they just are too small for me. post 5T.

As regards to processor ,build quality , battery and camera oneplus has always used the latest and the most updated processor with the maximum battery capacity embedded within super strong build quality without compromising the much needed style and design.

As regards to the camera, it's a 24/7 changing field with increasing demands and struggling to achieve the satiety level of the users.
    Personally for me I feel the camera is definitely good if not the great and it has always helped me in getting the job done with more than sufficient results and for me that is more than sufficient without entering into the technical aspects as me and camera are two different poles with each of them minding their own business.

What was even more surprising to see where the efforts which the company put towards 5T, as the device had perfectly qualified to be within the one year one device approach.

Equipped with the to be launched screen navigation gestures, 5T will achieve its 100% usability which will directly increase its efficiency level from its current less-efficient screen post new gestures.

5T has initiated a whole new trend for its successors as all new devices will be its worshippers until one of it's own overthrows the 5T's throne and starts its own new trend regime.

Never Settle.

4. AndreiRadu Honeycomb Mar 24, 2018

AndreiRadu, Mar 24, 2018 :
    Well, I won't write an essay. It surprised me in a pleasant way that you got rid of the telephoto camera for a better low light one

5. TibiTibi Lollipop Mar 24, 2018

TibiTibi, Mar 24, 2018 :
    Quite good devices.
    Since 3T each one are reaching out from my budget.
    Still surprissed with the presence of the camera bump.
    Good materials but not sturdy, should be covered to protect them.

I'm settled with the One.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018

6. G_Michał_L_VJCp Gingerbread Mar 25, 2018

G_Michał_L_VJCp, Mar 25, 2018 :
    The thing that surprised me the most is the fact that some people have literally 0 issues with 5T (like me) and others have a few problems each and some of them has to make through some steps to solve some of them and for the others those steps don't work at all. I mean these are all the same devices with exactly the same software and somehow the very same phones work very differently for each user. That's disturbing. And we're talking about fully working phones, just software issues. I haven't heard about any producer with so many different and inconsistent software issues. Usually something gets messed up and most people have a particular problem after updating. OnePlus? Update stats: 33% users happy, everything work fine, new features cool. Then 33% users claim some problems solved, some new appeared, things that worked before don't work at all but they weren't even changed in an update :D And then 33% users nothing solved after update and new problems appeared xD I mean WTF, it's like every 5T had different software update. by happy issues-free user of 5T :p

7. nikster04 Froyo Mar 27, 2018

nikster04, Mar 27, 2018 :
    i got the 5t in december from the iphone se, and what suprised me was how big it was in comparison. i really didint think of size of the phone, but hey i found having a big phone was better. and also how different and better android is

8. larseisberg Honeycomb Mar 27, 2018

9. Love for Chelseafc Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 27, 2018

Love for Chelseafc, Mar 27, 2018 :
    yap 5t camera its so bad even low budget phone have better camera than this .... flagship killer that even can't kill low budget phone

iambear likes this.
  10. Marto5150 Eclair Mar 29, 2018

Marto5150, Mar 29, 2018 :
    My previous phone was LG G5 I enjoyed the LG brand, loved the camera, but I really took my time in choosing my next phone, I thought another LG, maybe Samsung, or God forbid IPHONE,
    Now owning the One Plus 5T for close to two months, the one thing that surprise me was the cellular reception it's brilliant, my LG G5 barely had a 3 bars of signal inside my home, the One Plus 5T full bars, and not just in the home but outside the cellular reception is brilliant. Another brilliant feature that many do not mention is the dual sim, if you look the boutique phones; Iphone, Samsung, I do not see this feature, if you travel this is a must have feature. Speed I knew having 8GIGS of ram on phone meant you have fast phone, but the smoothness of this phone surprises me.
    My girlfriend has the IPHONE SE and when I have to update it or do something it's painfully slow compared to the One Plus 5T.
    Overall I am pleasantly surprise just how much phone you get for the money, is their one thing you would improve yes the camera app and software, but I happy I choose this phone it's my daily work horse I recommend it.

Ruby G. and MPalmiro like this.
  11. Adistyles Froyo Mar 30, 2018

12. G_Michał_L_VJCp Gingerbread Mar 30, 2018

13. errolnazareth Cupcake Mar 31, 2018

errolnazareth, Mar 31, 2018 :
    I always keeping skipping between devices. I had the OnePlus3T back in 2017, then jumped to the iPhone 7 and mid year of 2017 I moved on to the Samsung Galaxy S8. I picked up the OnePlus5T 2 days back (Yes I am back home) and I have realised the reason why I have always liked the OnePlus series is because of its OS integration with hardware. Apple always took the crown for the best Hardware and Software integration, especially with apps but here we have the OnePlus series that have an amazing Oxygen OS build and also allows customisations as per the users preference. Another major feature that has always moved me back to OP is the battery life management. I know the RAM management is pretty strict with the background apps that run but let's face the fact, how many of us prefer apps to run in the background? I always love to kill apps and keep my phone clean.

Okay now for the part that surprised me, the risk that the OnePlus team took with the camera. In the current market trend, phone manufacturers are building phones with dual camera's but one is dedicated for the telephoto feature (like the OP5) and here we have a device with two camera with no telephoto feature but the other snaps in for low light pictures. That was a bold move because lets face another fact, how many of us actually use the telephotic feature? We are more curious for the bokeh effect in our pictures and if a camera can do that, we have a big smile on our face.

I hope OnePlus continues to surprise us, the OnePlus family and maybe in the future have a special upgrade program for OnePlus users so its easier to upgrade to the new releases.

Ruby G. likes this.
  14. iambear Froyo Apr 8, 2018

iambear, Apr 8, 2018 :
    They claimed to be a flagship killer yet it's one of the most underwhelming phones I've ever owned. Crap camera, buggy OS, screen ratio is awful for some apps(comp mode doesn't solve any problems).
    Too bad I don't have the money right now to get a different phone.

15. stadi Gingerbread Apr 16, 2018

stadi, Apr 16, 2018 :
    It surprised me how bad the camera on the 5T is. I honestly expected something much better. I can't get over the oil painting effect for example.

16. Justlevine Donut Apr 17, 2018

Justlevine, Apr 17, 2018 :
    I was suprised by it launching with Nougat considering 8
    1 had already been released, and the price hike.

I guess its hard to be 'pleasantly' surprised by OnePlus bc I've come to expect top-of-the-line features from these phone.
    That being said, this is the first time in 4 years that I actually had to pause and ask myself if OnePlus was offering the right bang for the buck, and looked into other phones. ultimately I went with the 5t, but if the 6/6t each get hikes as has been the norm, it's very likely I'll be looking for a new company to be loyal to.

(And when it turned out that the phone came with Nougat because OnePlus didn't want to give us access to treble, and it wasn't coming with the OTA, I was surprised yet again.)

17. Mahbub DU Honeycomb Apr 17, 2018

Mahbub DU, Apr 17, 2018 :
    One Plus is just Awesome on some specific things.

Regular Software upgrades which i can not even think on Samsung.

What surprises me most about recent oneplus devices is that how quickly these devices got popular.Here in India,majority of people didn't even heard the name of this company until release of oneplus 3.Oneplus 3 and 3t were a major success.After the release of oneplus 3,my facebook was flooded with posts about oneplus 3.Even now there is atleast one post per month about oneplus in xda news. Now majority of people in India know oneplus as a brand.I bought a oneplus 5 last year and my friends easily identified it in first glance.

I was surprised by speed of fingerprint scanner in oneplus 5.I had seen fingerprint scanner on my friend's phones,but on my oneplus 5, it's a whole different level.It's instantaneous.I can easily notice the difference between my friend's phone fp scanner and this phone's fp scanner.And the face unlock was the icing on cake.Its insanely fast and accurate.It easily detects my face even at extreme angles.And the assistive lighting is a very good addition.It works even in total darkness.

Dash charge surprises me even today.It's fast and cool.Phone doesn't get heated up even with this insanely fast charging speed.when oneplus says 'a day's power in half an hour',i never thought they were really serious.Dash charge changed my charging habits.I haven't charged this phone more that 1 hour(I try to keep my phone between 20-90 percent battery),while my family members have to charge their phone for atleast 2 hours to get near full charge.I don't have to charge my phone overnight,I can wake up in morning,see my phone at 15% battery,connect my dash charger,and till I get ready for college after bath, its almost 90% charged.

I love that how easy is to flash custom roms on oneplus devices and developer support for these devices.My old phone was htc desire 816g.It shipped with android 4.4.2 and was never upgraded to lollipop.It had a long process to unlock bootloader and the very few custom roms available for that phone were very unstable.I had tried custom rom on my fathers galaxy s duos,and that custom rom was amazing.It brought life to that old,slow phone.When I checked xda forums for oneplus 3/3t custom roms,I was surprised how many custom roms were available for these devices.Now oneplus 5 also has a great number of custom roms available.

And one more thing that surprised me about my oneplus 5 was how it was able to change my samsung fanboy brother(older than me) to oneplus user.He always chose samsung devices for him and family.My father and mother don't know much about phones and always used the phone he chose for them.He wasn't letting me buy oneplus 5 when I was buying new phone for me.He said that this is a Chinese company,they don't make good phones,samsung is best,etc.And today,as I am writing this,he is holding his oneplus 5t in his hand

G_plusone and meatandy like this.
  18. meatandy Nougat Apr 17, 2018

meatandy, Apr 17, 2018 :
    Nice post , just full of suprises :D

G_plusone likes this.
  19. G_plusone Lollipop Apr 17, 2018

G_plusone, Apr 17, 2018 :
    I can feel you. So you got 2/3 updates or Bug fixes for that phone. Desire 816 might be been better

20. hyvokar Cupcake Apr 17, 2018

hyvokar, Apr 17, 2018 :
    Poor WLAN performance (does not seem to support roaming) and boinc client seems to be crashing/quiting all the time.