[Let's Talk] What are your all-time favorite ROMs and Kernels?

1. Ruby G. NA Community Manager Staff Member Mar 19, 2018

Ruby G., Mar 19, 2018 :
    Congratulations! You've stumbled upon one of our stickied question forum posts. Take a look at the question below and write a response if it interests you. Feel free to post your response on this thread or start a new thread if your response is over 500 words (be sure to copy & paste the question into a new thread and tag me so I notice).

What are your all-time favorite ROMs and Kernels?

Posts of 300 – 1000 words will be automatically entered in to our ongoing rewards program and potentially be chosen to move to the next level. Have fun, debate with each other, and let the knowledge flow!

2. BobbyV8_ The Showcase Reviewer Mar 19, 2018

BobbyV8_, Mar 19, 2018 :
    ROM:
    Fact that OOS is the best ROM in terms of fluidity & battery backup, I will skip speaking on it to cover more about my favourite one the Resurrection Remix.

Based on Lineage, RR provides a lot of cherry picked customisations making it a one stop solution to all my needs and matches my taste.

The orderly sequence of development steps and design reviews help to ensure the quality, reliability, adequacy and maintainability of the ROM. Developers managed to find perfect balance between stability & improvisation.

Battery idle drain is bare minimum. Four performance levels are available to choose between performance and battery backup default set to balanced which would be the right choice for regular usage.

RR is fluid enough to serve as a daily driver. Most important thing here is my device looks unique. No user can match the style & design of other user adhering to the most basic principle behind Android - Customizability.

Privacy guard & protected apps are the features I like most in this. Even if borrowed from Lineage, RR manages to get the edge with its very own ‘kitchen’ which is the gateway of several customisations.

Off late we see these features in almost every ROM these days but the one which laid base is RR.

Apart from RR, others forming part of my fav list would constitute Lineage, Z-Unleashed, Freedom OS based on OOS and HydrogenOS

Kernel:
    Though I’m not a fan of custom kernels, one that draws my attention is Ex (Elemental X).

While the stock OOS kernel works best with stock ROM, EX provides a variety of options in an easy way to manage the CPU performance, Adjusting vibrations, colour control options and several other optimisations.

The recent big thing about using a custom kernel is the Wireguard support and if I had to use it, EX kernel will be my go to option. I have the freedom of choosing it on both OOS & custom based ROMs and the functionality is the same on both.

Base of my work on custom ROMs can be found here
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/romify-3-3t.537585/

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018

3. idkwhoiam322 Nougat Mar 19, 2018

idkwhoiam322, Mar 19, 2018 :
    There were supposed to be 4! I should be reading properly, the inner cupcake inside me never fails to disappoint! This one's my favorite kind! Roms and Kernels get me giddy all the time.
    So for those of you who don't know, Android has always been a platform for freedom, something iOS has barely ever given to users! A ROM is a software that runs on your phone, in the case of OnePlus, OxygenOS and HydrogenOS. A kernel makes that software and hardware communicate with each other.
    Prior to joining the dark side, I owned an LG G2. It was a fantastic phone, and the software support from LG was great! But I wanted more! The device was far more capable! Thanks to sources released from LG, the devs could get their hands on this beast and mess around with it! Devs did a fantastic job!
    My favorite ROMs on this phone were CloudyG2 and crDroid. Cloudyfa did a fantastic job in improving what LG had made, and made it better than it was! Improved the sound drivers, made it speedy, removed the bloat without sacrificing much functionality, allowed us to play with everything in the kernel, and of course, everything was optional!
    Sadly, LG's support for the LG G2 ended in 2 years time, just like with every other android OEM at that time(bar Google).

Then came the rise of crDroid! His ROM based on CM13 were the best ones I've ever used! I was on it since the alpha stages, since the times when WiFi and Bluetooth don't work! Since the times, basic functionalities wouldn't work as intended and the phone would have random boot loops and crashes! Those were the fun times! Helping devs figure out what was wrong and fix them, it all helps you in experiencing how hard it is to actually make a piece of software as stable as it gets! This was supplemented by Lambda Kernel, another masterpiece I used since it's testing, it allowed to mess around with everything one could do with a kernel! Playing around with that CPU and GPU will always be the most memorable part of my smartphone life. The feeling when you first brick your phone! The horror as you find it difficult to breathe, with the tears slowly coming out! Truly marvelous :p This feeling is made much better when you, by yourself, get to solve the issue! The joy! One of my favorite feelings of all time :)

Then I join the Dark Side in Q3 2017. It didn't take me long(2 days in fact), before I switched to an Oreo based ROM before OnePlus released their betas for the device, NitrogenOS. This ROM wasn't meant for those who loved customization, this was for those who wanted everything to work how it should've, till date the most stable ROM with the best battery life I've used. Flash Kernel did a fantastic job in providing the kernel level customizability I missed on this ROM. Nathan, the dev, was new to kernels himself! So I figured, why not join him in his journey to experience what he thought a kernel should be! And boy, did I do the right thing! This kernel was a flash of brilliance! If you used it, you wouldn't believe it was his first try! It's always fun when devs allow you to play around with their toys! And you really shouldn't hold back! Worst case scenario, you have a device with an always on black display :rolleyes: There's always TWRP and unbrick tools to save you :) So much to feast upon! Boy, do I sound hungry, must be Monday acting up on me.

These show what android was always meant to be. Give the user the option to do what they want! Let them have fun and mess around their phone to no bounds! Well, did my true self come out here? Let's keep this me a secret ;) I sounded like a monster! What about you @Ruby G.? Which are your favorite ROM and Kernel of all time? I would love to find out, and even others' if possible :) Have a great time flashing everyone!

4. gmanasseh Eclair Mar 19, 2018

gmanasseh, Mar 19, 2018 :
    Historically speaking, my favorite ROM is definitely CyanogenMod. It had a perfect balance of features to simplicity for me, and the theme engine was awesome. LineageOS is good, but it's lost its magic.

I moved on to love Resurrection Remix. It definitely had more features than I needed, but there were features it had that really made me love it. Unfortunately, their latest builds aren't quite doing it for me. Something about their take on Oreo just makes me not like it.

I had been ROM hopping for a while when I got my 5T until I landed on Omni, and I learned to love again. Like RR, it takes inspiration from many ROMs, and it certainly acknowledges that, but it has a much more satisfying ratio of features to cleanliness for me. I haven't had any complaints, so for now, Omni takes it for me.

Gotta say, OxygenOS is a close second favorite right now, though.

5. GopalB. Nougat Mar 19, 2018

GopalB., Mar 19, 2018 :
    Hey...
    So i was able to find one more... :p

So... What are your all-time favorite ROMs and Kernels?

I've not used those many ROMs in my life...
    The once I've used are CyanogenMod, LineageOS and Resurrection Remix.

And among those... My favorite was RR... As that was the one with most possible customization for me...

The possibilities in that ROM is endless...
    I mean I was able to transform my old Samsung S4 to something unrecognizable with RR...

There is like no battery drain... And the performance was also awesome...
    No lag whatsoever!!!
    It always makes me wonder, if RR could do that to an old phone like S4...
    What are the possibilities on phones like OnePlus 5!!!

And to be honest... I love OxygenOS...
    I mean... It's bare minimum... But thats what is required!!!

The way OxygenOS can manage itself is something I've never seen one other stock ROMs...

So I don't think I'm playing with my OnePlus 5 anytime soon... ;)

And coming to Kernels...

To be honest... I've never changed the kernel in any of my phones...

So this is my answer to the question you asked...

OxygenOS is the best but if I've to choose a custom ROM... I'll choose Resurrection Remix without any doubt in my mind...

Btw... I'm still a part of their Google+ group and that's a great place to be in...
    You get constant support, updates, offers on apps and many more...

Let's end this here... :p

6. GuitarHero0179 Jelly Bean Mar 19, 2018

GuitarHero0179, Mar 19, 2018 :
    All right, my favourite ROM and kernel:

I think the first ROM I really liked was the Cyanogen ROM that came with the Oneplus One on stock. The phone I owned before that was a huawei one that had a terrible ROM. Lots of bloatware and it was really slow because of all the processes and the heavy skin on top of it. Running a clean ROM/android version on a brand new high specs phone, after using that for 1.5 year was a blast.

I was never really into the whole 'flashing roms' business until a keyboard bug with stuttering typing appeared. Some stated flashing an updated Cyanogen ROM would solve it. It worked but I also had to reflash my kernel to the stock one to get my sensors working again. I didn't try any other ROM for a long time after that since I was satisfied with the performance. Recently I flashed lineage OS on it to update the phone to Nougat. It has the same clean look and feel and is still a very reliable ROM. Sadly Cyanogen is not here anymore so for my one thats the next best thing in my opinion. In terms of kernel I never tried anything different than the stock one.

On my 5 I'm still using oxygen OS. I really like this ROM that comes stock with the phone. Now with the addition of the face unlock I like it even more. This OS is part of the reason I bought the phone. It offers a stock android experience with added options to increase usability. The battery life is great (other roms might offer better, but my current battery life is plenty for a busy day).

I might try something else in the future, but for now I'll stick with Oxygen and hope some of the future updates will further improve it. After that I might start exploring other ROM options and start tweaking the phone to my likings. A good part is that this forum is full of people who have lots of information about all the options out there. One more reason to stay active here.

7. Ruby G. NA Community Manager Staff Member Mar 20, 2018

Ruby G., Mar 20, 2018 :
    Haha, my little surprise. Glad you found this one too! All of your responses to the [Let's Talk] threads have been awesome. So my opinions don't represent the team cause we can't endorse bla bla bla, but I personally have huge respect for the team behind Lineage OS. ;)

8. idkwhoiam322 Nougat Mar 20, 2018

idkwhoiam322, Mar 20, 2018 :
    I totally didn't check your postings :sweatsmile: :innocent:
    Indeed, LOS is an amazing group, I personally prefer aosp because it's open source :p

Dresa91 and Ruby G. like this.
  9. Bibek.pkhrl Donut Mar 20, 2018

Bibek.pkhrl, Mar 20, 2018 :
    i just can't leave Oxygen Open Beta because I haven't found any ROM with facial recognition and navigation gestures so smooth. I'm happy with magisk root access in OOS at the moment. As for Custom Rom I liked RR for my old s6 edge, never used any custom kernels.

Dresa91 and Ruby G. like this.
  10. Praty_28 Jelly Bean Mar 20, 2018

Praty_28, Mar 20, 2018 :
    Finally a topic which interests me. Samsung Galaxy Ace was the very first android device i owned. It used to run the good old gingerbread version of android. I still remember how i used to struggle with the task manager app to free up some Mb's of ram to play "temple run" in the super limited 256 MB ram. One fine day, the legendary "subway surfers" game showed up in market (play store was market those days). But sadly market said my device wasn't compatible with the game. I did a lot of research and found out there was something called root access which could bring out the inner beast of my Samsung galaxy Ace. Also, i got to know about devices getting bricked in the process. There weren't many unbrick tools available those days but somehow running subway surfers gave me the confidence to install clockworkmod recovery and install supersu. Rooting was so easy those days no need to unlock bootloader, no need to use fastboot commands just copy recovery and su onto sd card and flash em via stock recovery sweet and simple. I rooted my device just in a few minutes but trust me my hands were literally shaking until my device booted up and i felt a sigh of relief. The next thing i did was installed an app which lowered the graphics /textures of games (it was chainfire 3D if i remember right) and then i could finally run subway surfers (it was lagging a lot but atleast i could play it xD). I started exploring new root apps and found one which would further boost performance and thats when i messed up. I overclocked my cpu just a little bit but my device got bricked after a reboot. I waited for hours staring at the boot logo just hoping for a miracle to fix it. Tried a lot to fix it myself but nothing worked. Then, i found a post on xda what he did was - unrooted his device, took it to service center and told that it got stuck after software update. I did the same thing and got my device fixed under warranty. I decided i wouldn't root again or do any crazy stuff with my device but that effect/fear only lasted a few days until i rooted again and flashed a new rom almost everyday.

That was all about how i got hooked up into flashing and rooting now coming to the favourite roms and kernels part.

ROMs

My all time favorite rom is Resurrection Remix, the king of Customization. I have been using this rom on my op2 and also my op3 until an unfortunate bug appeared which wouldn't let me use wifi on custom roms, but Resurrection Remix will still be my favorite rom even if i cant use it on my 3T. There is no single aspect of ui which you cannot customize in RR. You can mess with the statusbar icons (even add custom icons), change the quicksettings animations, add custom header images, make quicksettings icons vibrate/rotate when toggled and what not. Even after customizing every aspect of the rom, the ui wouldn't lag a bit. That's because of the optimized kernel the rom has which manages the software perfectly. I never felt the need of any custom kernel while using RR it was just like a perfect blend of performance and battery life. Camera was the only section which the rom lacked, but that was the case with almost every custom rom. I wish i could fix the weird wifi bug on custom roms but nothing seems to fix it and im forced to use oxygenos.
    Oxygenos is my second favorite rom it does not have that many customization options but now that xposed and substratum support oreo, customization is a non issue.

Custom Kernels

I wasn't a fan of custom kernels as i never seemed to find any difference from the kernel which was preinstalled. But when i installed OOS i felt like the battery life was not on par with Resurrection Remix. I tried using greenify and amplify but the battery still would drain a lot when idle. Then installed franco kernel as i never tried custom kernels on oos and it kinda worked atfer 1-2 days of installing franco kernel the battery wouldn't drain as much when idle and it just got better over time. It also had an option to reduce the haptic vibration which i felt was too strong. The kernel slightly underclocks the cpu to reduce the overall consumption which i feel is great and also does not have any impact on performance. Franco kernel is the only kernel which had a noticeable effect on the rom so its my favorite kernel.

So this is it, my flashaholic story xD. I hope it wasn't boring tried to keep it as short as possible.

11. Dresa91 Android Q Mar 20, 2018

Dresa91, Mar 20, 2018 :
    My experiences with ROMs:

I started with a Samsung Galaxy S2. There the Samsung version ran with TW (ugly afterwards). I replaced the S2 with a Samsung Galaxy S4.

Here, too, the "Samsung Android" was running. After Samsung didn't distribute any official updates there, I went to Cyanogen. Flashing CM for my Samsung Galaxy S4 was quite easy and I was very satisfied because I got even more performance out of my "old" device.

I replaced my Samsung Galaxy S4 with a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact.

The official Sony ROM was very tidy and fast compared to Samsung and I found to share in some aspects (camera, music player) this ROM was better than CM.

I then became aware of the beta program (it was called Concept Software) from Sony, which was offered for my Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, among others.

For a beta version, this ROM also ran very well and stable.

But when the beta program for my Sony Xperia Z3 Compact was finished and no further official updates were offered, I decided to buy the OnePlus 3.

Here I have to say that flashing ROMs is the easiest.

On my OP3 I always switch between official version, beta version and now also LineageOS 15.1.

Unfortunately, I found LOS too unstable, so I returned to the beta of surgery.

But this beta is damn stable and fast and I don't want to miss the possibility to install another ROM "fast and easy" anymore.

Now I am curious how the OP3 will continue in the future. Maybe I'll give a custom ROM to other providers besides LOS.

But first I have to have enough time for it besides my Master's degree and my wedding this year.

Parallel to my smartphone experience I have also made experiences with the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (Tablet).

Here Samsung gave up distributing updates relatively quickly. But as a computer scientist I would like to be up to date with regard to security and new functions, so I had no choice but to install a custom ROM. Here I had only the choice on CM. No other ROM was offered at that time.

12. RogerF81 Honeycomb Mar 20, 2018

RogerF81, Mar 20, 2018 :
    Well, this one is a quite hard question resprectively deciscion. I guess there are many good choices around. My "all-time" favorite Rom was Exodus Rom, but this doesn't exist anymore unfortunately. Besides, I always liked ResurrectionRemix, as this gave me better battery life than CM back in these days and has been much more customizable. DirtyUnicorns has always been very stable for me as well and kinda customizable on top. On my previous HTC 10, I stayed nearly all the time on stock Rom. So in this post, I'm going to concentrate on AOSP Roms and stock OOS kernels for the OnePlus 5, though I stayed on OOS nearly all the time. Why? Well, there are 2 simple reasons: I don't want to lose either Dirac or stock camera. Furthermore, I am extremely busy in recent time, that's why I'm aiming for maximum stability, and I don't have much time to play with the phone. So I have to say, my favourite Rom on the OP5 is OOS itself. Now I want to have look on some AOSP based Roms:

• So I haven't installed AICP since I owned the LG G4. In these times, AICP was kinda unstable and gave me random reboots, but if I remember right, this wasn't the fault of the Rom, but of the firmware by LG. The "20g" firmware blobs caused some weird issues, and every Rom had to go back to the "20d" blobs... Due to this, even LOS dropped the support now for the G4. So, what can I say about AICP? If you don't want to move too far away from LOS, but still want to have more customizations, then AICP could be the right choice. But still, AICP has never been my favourite.
    • DirtyUnicorns is a very famous and well working Rom. I have installed it on my OP5 as well, I guess it has been the first Oreo RC build. Though it was "only" a RC build, it ran extremely smooth and stable. Only one ore two options in the DU tweaks let the settings app freeze, but this has been the only issue and I'm sure, they solved this problem in the meanwhile. Rock solid Rom, enough customizations, here and there some new features, kinda innovative, too: always a good choice and surely one of my all-time favorite AOSP Roms!
    • LineageOS: For sure one of the most stable AOSP Roms, if not the most stable one. But besides, it's kinda "average": not that many customization options, quite "boring". If someone wants to try something different than OOS, but still aims for the highest stability, this is a good choice for sure. But again, it's quite "boring", that's why, this isn't my favorite choice.
    • LiquidRemix: I tried this one on my OP5, too. It worked stable and looked good so far, but it had one major downside: Scrolling has been slow and felt not smooth at all. I tried it back in January, so I'm sure, the developers have improved things since then. If the scrolling is better and on par now to other Roms, this could be a good choice as well.
    • ResurrectionRemix: I had it running the las time on my former LG G4 and it was one of my favourite Roms, because I liked the large number of possibilities to customize your phone. I haven't installed it yet on my OP5 though. So, a nice Rom, but perhaps even too much possibilities for the "average" user.
    • Omni: A very stable Rom as well. I tried it back on my LG G4, but I have installed it on my OP5 as well. But in conversations with my team mates of Team Helix, it turned out that it even runs better on the OP5T than on the OP5. I had some minor issues, but I don't remember correctly what has been the problem. But it is updated frequently, so I'm sure it's running much better now than the very first Oreo builds did. So all in all, stability is about the same as on LOS, but Omni has some more customizations.

So far, these are the AOSP Roms I wanted to mention. There are many more, but I haven't tried them all yet. I'm still looking forward to Paranoid, when they release their first Oreo builds. I'm sure this can be recommended without doubt once it's out. I will try PA for sure and perhaps, this could even replace OOS as daily driver in future (despite these 2 downsides I already mentioned.

But, due to I use OOS nearly all the time, I want to mention some kernels for OOS, which I have tried:

• Flash kernel: Hell yeah! If you want the best stability, without sacrificing performance, battery life and features, here you go. It’s always upstreamed to latest Linux kernel as well. In my opinion, it’s the best HMP based kernel.
    • arter kernel: Much more "experimental" than Flash, focussed on maximum performance. If you want to play with your phone without jumping to an AOSP Rom, this is for you.
    • Franco kernel: One of the most famous kernels around xda for sure. Stable, near-to-stock kernel. You can't do anything wrong with it.
    • RenderZenith: Of course, I have to mention this one. By far the most innovative kernel around for the OP5, as it uses EAS instead of HMP. Gives you the smoothest experience which is possible, combined with good battery life and great performance. I guess it's too popular to call it an insider tip, but really, you can't go wrong with it as well. It's a great choice and enhaces your user experience on this phone.
    So far, this is my opinion and my summary. My personal setup at the moment is latest OOS stable (5.0.4) + Flash kernel 3.16. But I can recommend RenderZenith kernel without doubt as well.

Edit: Trimmed down the post a bit o fit max. 1000 words.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018

Dhiren Velari, Praty_28 and Ruby G. like this.
  13. antidanis Gingerbread Mar 20, 2018

antidanis, Mar 20, 2018 :
    I loved CyanogenMod when I first tried it on the OnePlus One. It was such a huge difference from my bloated Samsung Note. Everything about it felt awesome! The security (especially being able to control app permissions before app permissions), using real passwords instead of screen patterns or using more complicated screen patterns than available at the time – it was just awesome. Also, the phones booted quickly and were very clean and user-friendly. I went on a spree and installed it on every device I could find. Devices at work, my friends’ phones….it had to be everywhere!

I was initially very disappointed that OnePlus went to OOS, but I’m now very happy with it. A little Magisk and you have all you need! At first, I was concerned about security and bugs, but it all has been fixed now. OOS is excellent, and the bug hunters team is doing a great job. They are very responsive. I’m currently using Oxygen on my 5T.

Resurrection Remix very much deserves to get mentioned. The UI customization on it is unparalleled. Messing with icons and animations was really fun for a while. I used to use it on my OnePlus 3. The battery life was good, and there were no major bugs that bugged me. No custom kernel, no anything. It was just a good, interesting rom to play around with.

Finally, I would like to mention Mokee rom. I played around with it on my OnePlus 5 and actually miss a couple features from it. The first one is the ability to see how much RAM you are using from the open app windows screen. You open up the screen that has all your open apps, and it would actually show you something along the lines of “2023 out of 6043MB”. You would then know if you have too many apps open. Another cool feature it had was Caffeine – the ability to click an icon to keep your screen awake for a few minutes. It was very useful when reading manuals and doing something. My wife also loved it when she was cooking.

@Ruby G.

Dhiren Velari, Praty_28 and Ruby G. like this.
  14. Chaplann Donut Mar 28, 2018

Chaplann, Mar 28, 2018 :
    One of the predicates of OnePlus is the development friendly stamp.
    Good for developers, great for users, even greater for the OEM that gets a community base of users that actually care about a lot of deep customisation be it cosmetic, ROM or kernel driven.

This makes an ecosystem that flows around OOS releases which are tested and a get lot of feedback by the huge user base.
    On the long run OOS OB gets a lot of features that mature further in time and make it to stable branch eventually.
    What drives me on OnePlus is not OOS alone, yet i never miss any release be it stable or OB. I always flash on day 0 every build and check out how things are working on all fronts.
    But I'm an all time custom addicted junkie, specially on the kernel side.
    Gonna leave here my personal usage pattern related to both kernel and custom ROMS, a bit of OOS might arise also:

Kernel:
    blu_spark, what else?
    All of the greatest features a custom kernel brings to any device.
    Tailored by eng.stk to achieve the highly recognised fast and smooth UX with no battery runtime trade-off.
    Target optimisations with the peculiar device in mind, useful features and no bloat.
    The best of both worlds comes alive with blu_spark stock settings, and then fastlane, the user sets a threshold to tweak this user friendly blu_active governor tunable for its personal taste.
    Democracy at its best.
    0 day releases? Count on it, always.

ROMs:
    OOS:
    The smoothest of all ROMs packed with features every user needs on a daily basis.
    The downside? We need per app led color customisation, and i mean we need it
    NOW.
    And please add AOSP black navigation bar to the OP5T. Everybody is colouring it black and white already with apps, make it native.
    Apart from that all good on the Oreo front (8.1 on OB5 looks great also).
    And just saw this today on OB5 release, commit history instead of giant merge patch, it helps developers job, easier and better.

For custom it's always difficult because both looks and feel come to the equation:
    One thing that a ROM needs to have for me is encryption support, unlocked bootloader and no encryption would give text for 10000 words just for starters no? Send me a nandroid backup of your data and we shall talk later, on the same WhatsApp account, yours :oops:.

OMNI:

The green droidbot is my all time favourite ROM.
    AOSP feel to the limit with valuable improvements and features that focus both on the cosmetics as the usability.
    Bugs are squashed in less than no time, that is something i appreciate a lot
    Not the smoothest of ROMs, but
    fastlane takes care of that

Carbon:

The smoothest on my old OP3 (on par with OOS), looking forward to check it out on the OP5T if gets out.
    Features list is rich, AOSP feeling, pretty much solid, great for a daily driver.
    The downside is tiny little bugs that noone seems to find about might never get solved from my experience.

And that my friends, is how you use a phone, if the OEM let's you... :)
    NEVER SETTLE

onewordpic, Dhiren Velari and Ruby G. like this.
  15. LastLeg Honeycomb May 16, 2018

LastLeg, May 16, 2018 :
    I've tried a few custom ROMs on my 5T, but I've come back to the OOS Open Beta as it just seems to run the best and has the features I need.

Ruby G. likes this.
  16. outpin Honeycomb Jun 1, 2018

outpin, Jun 1, 2018 :
    I think I tried 90% of the custom roms, I like CrDroid and liquid remix the most. I usually install bluspark kernel, but the stock ones are great too.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018

rushier.ivan and elanglois like this.
  17. Thrilok_Madduru Cupcake Jun 2, 2018

Thrilok_Madduru, Jun 2, 2018 :
    First, kudos to all the developers out there for bringing those wonderful roms to the devices whose OEMs forgot them ex.zuk z1. With out their passion and dedication this is not possible as they have very less resources and they do those things for free by investing their efforts and time just to bring stability and performance to the devices out there.

Yes, z1 is the phone that introduced me to the world of ROM as Lenovo completely forgot about the phone it introduced in India. But best thing about z1is even if you root, warranty is not void. So it gave me the opportunity to try different custom ROMs. I tried RR, Lineage OS, DU, DND, Cosmic, viper, AOSIP, AICP, Hexagon and goes on, almost all the ROMs available for z1.

But when it comes to personal choice I liked VIPER OS and AOSIP most and uses any one of them mostly as daily drivers. I love the customisation available on both those ROMs. They are very much fluid and gave me hassle free performance on my device. And good thing about the custom ROMs are the developers bring the updates almost immediately to the devices. For the devices which I thought dead by June 2016 has still kept alive till date by the developers in the community.

Coming to the kernels, I kept stock kernel for most of the times untill the Xtreme speed kernel was introduced. Then tried star city, Andy and Malabar kernels but nothing kept me much interested as with Xtreme speed kernel. Xtreme has Google optimisations and I loved the way the developer implemented it.

After shifting to OnePlus OOS has became my personal favourite right now. I like how they kept thing simple and close to stock yet offers some customisation to not making it boring. May be favourites can change in future but as of now I am enjoying the OOS just by adding nova and substratum to add some Colors to the phone and keep it interesting.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018

Dhiren Velari likes this.
  18. elanglois Lollipop Jun 2, 2018

elanglois, Jun 2, 2018 :
    Many ROMs implement the Face Unlock using Google's Smart Lock and a switch in settings to unlock directly to the home screen without an extra gesture.

19. elanglois Lollipop Jun 2, 2018

elanglois, Jun 2, 2018 :
    Cheers for blu spark. One of my favs (full post coming soon) used the blu active governor in jgcapps kernel and base ROM.

20. elanglois Lollipop Jun 13, 2018