[Let's Talk] What are your tips and tricks for keeping your device in good shape?

1. NeVeR_SeTTLe
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Mar 22, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe , Mar 22, 2018 :
    Ahhhhh ok ;) Well anyways, I only pick the artists and music I like and transfer them over to my phone. :)

idkwhoiam322 likes this.
  2. Jitesh Saitawadekar
    KitKat Mar 22, 2018

Jitesh Saitawadekar , Mar 22, 2018 :
    @Ruby G. Simply don't let it fall from your hand and for that just order rubber cover which absorbs shocks when it slips off your hand and keep the device as new as it was when you got it for the first time

3. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Mar 22, 2018

Bouncer71 , Mar 22, 2018 :
    I'll keep it short...
    cause that's all I need..

1.screenprotection, any will do..
    2. bumper case...
    3. install only trusted apps..
    4. don't install any Facebook app...
    5. install updates...
    6. restart when ever needed...
    ( current system running time: 1778:56 hours)
    7. charge when ever needed
    and finally...
    8. clean the thing every once and awhile...
    ( also pocket dust in the various Ports...)

GopalB. and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  4. NeVeR_SeTTLe

NeVeR_SeTTLe , Mar 22, 2018 :
    Short and sweet.... :p

Bouncer71 likes this.
  5. RJBoss
    The Showcase Reviewer Mar 22, 2018

RJBoss , Mar 22, 2018 :
    @Ruby G.

TIPS and TRICKS for OnePlus 5T -

SWAP BUTTONS - The OnePlus 5T is the first smartphone in the company’s portfolio to come without a physical home button. Instead, you get virtual on-screen keys. But if you’re switching to the 5T from a Samsung phone, you might find it a bit difficult to adjust to the flip-reversed keys (the Back button is on the left, while the Recents key is on the right). Fortunately, you can easily swap the two keys. Just head to Settings>Buttons>Swap Buttons. Toggle the switch to move Back to the right side of the screen and Recents to the left. Also, note that each button can be configured to trigger additional actions by long pressing or double tapping on it. You have a total of seven actions to choose from:
    Open/close menu
    Search assistant
    Turn off screen
    Voice search
    Open Shelf
    Open/close notification center
    Open/close split screen

TAKE A SCREENSHOT WITH GESTURES - Need to take a screenshot on your OnePlus 5T? You can do that the classic way by holding down the Power and Volume Down buttons simultaneously. Or you can use gestures. To do so, you’ll need to enable the “Three-finger screenshot” option by going to Settings>Gesture. Once you’ve done that, go to the screen you want to capture and do a three finger swipe down on the screen. And voila!

TAKE A SELFIE WITH THE MAIN CAMERA - The OnePlus 5T’s selfie camera is pretty decent, but it struggles in some situations – like low-light environments. Also, there’s no Portrait Mode available. Fortunately, you can easily take a picture in the camera app using the fingerprint scanner as a shutter release. This way, you can take clearer self-portraits. And you can even blur the background if you wish to so. To enable this feature, go to Settings>Gestures >Long press to take a photo. Unfortunately, it works only when using the phone’s proprietary camera app and not with third-party camera apps.

FULL SCREEN VIDEO - Watching videos on the OnePlus 5T’s 18:9 AMOLED display can cause the dreaded black box effect on some of the videos. Fortunately, you can easily go full screen while watching YouTube videos. Just pinch out on the display and the video will fill in the additional space. Other apps might require you double tap for full screen. Yet, the majority of the apps on your phone aren’t compatible with 18:9 displays. So OnePlus allows you to view (some) of your apps in full-screen mode. To do so, go to Settings>Apps>Full-screen apps and change the ratio. In case where apps don’t handle 18:9 aspect ratio all that well, you can quickly change them back to their original 16:9 compatibility mode.

CHANGE ICON SHAPE AND SIZE - Want to change the look of your icons? Nothing easier. Just press and hold on the home screen wallpaper and go to Settings. Tap on Icon pack and pick between one of the three options:
    OnePlus
    Round
    Square
    Or you can download an additional icon pack from the Google Play Store.

LIFT TO SEE NOTIFICATIONS - Want to check your notifications at a glance without having to unlock your phone? You’ll need to enable both Ambient Display and Lift up display – both of which are located in the Display settings. So the next time you’ll want to check out notifications, all you’ll have to do is pick up your phone.

GET RID OF THE SHELF - The Shelf is a screen that appears as you swipe left from your home screen. It shows you weather info, recent apps/contacts, and battery stats. You can add additional widgets for the things that matter most to you. But what if you don’t like the Shelf and you want to see it gone? Nothing easier. Press and hold on the home screen wallpaper and access Settings. From there, simply disable the Shelf option.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018

6. MentalDraco
    Marshmallow Mar 22, 2018

MentalDraco , Mar 22, 2018 :
    Well ho dose one keep your phone safe and sound ?

Well it obviously not only depends on the phone but on the user... what am I on about...

Well for a start, mind where you put your phone, depending on the pocket you use you risk scratching, sitting on it or perhaps bending? Either way try to keep your phone in a front pocket or jacket pocket, and if it's in your jacket, make sure that pocket has a zipper, or bending down to tie your shoelaces you will find that gravity is a cruel mistress.

Also make sure your pockets are clean, you can gorilla glass all you want but the combination of sand and the skinny jeans will end up filling your screen with delightful micro-scratches. Obviously a counter to this would be a screen protector, not that it dose not scratch BUT it will take the scratches for you. And we can agree a screen protector is easier to replace then the actual screen.

Now the second thing to worry is the body, while that has less of a chance of getting scratched usually, and feels amazing, it makes the phone as slippery as a bar of soap dipped in honey in a bath of olive oil. When I clean my phone from time to time the phone slips out of my hand with ease.

Take extra care if you are rocking it "all natural" it may be to much for you to handle...

If you have clumsy paws the obvious solution is twofold -

1. Skin it - Apply a skin on your phone, it will not add thickness, it will look good, depending on the texture it will add more or less grip, and, more importantly it will make your phone stand out from the pack :D

2. Get a case, while I am not a fan of cases in general I have to say that one HELPS a lot with the phone handling, personally I chose the silicon red for my 5T, it looks awesome, the color is bright and punchy, it complements my black 5T and feels amazing to the touch, not to mention it has a nice fuzzy interior >w<. To keep your phone nice and snug.

Of course depending on your phone and preference you will have to find a case, skin, screen protector that fits your taste and your budget.

That takes care of the general body protection, at the basic level you should be protected if you have those.

As for the software side, IF you don't require the new features of an update, don't update, it is a old windows saying but it applies in general, better wait if you don't have any issues.

As usually stay away from shady websites and apps or you'll feel the full wrath of adds and other problems.

If you encounter issues start with a reboot an clear cache, you would be surprised how many times this fixes a problem and how many forget about it!

As for the health of your interior components there are a few basic rules to follow.

Don't overuse your phone, if you are filming for a long time and the phone heats up, or any other activity, stop heat is never good for electronics.

Never charge your phone and stick it under a pillow, that is a big no no.

Try to charger your battery between, for example 20%-80%, now I know dash charge makes it hard since you pick up your phone and you see 72%, then you leave a like on a post on Facebook and the battery is already at 95 % but with a bit of practice you can catch up to it.

Also if you are using a case, take it off from time to time, you will get some dust on the inside of the case and clean it.

I would also recommend a can of compressed air, I use it all the time for cleaning stuff like laptop heat sinks and more, It also helps clear out the ports on a phone if they get dusty.

Don't forget not to let your phone get wet, yea it has some splash resistance, but don't count your chickens before the hatch, avoid liquids.

And don't forget treat your phone as you would a good friend, after all it dose all this work for you, so the least you could do is look have its back, and front^w^.

7. Tomhall
    Eclair Mar 22, 2018

Tomhall , Mar 22, 2018 :
    Well there is a very simple answer, buy a case and a tempered glass screen protector. I have never broken a phone or phone screen with that combo. my current combo including a sandstone protective case and glass screen protector works an absolute dream. although not the most protective it offers the most grip ever on a case I have ever had, which stops you from dropping your phone. or it slipping it out of your hand. then the screen protector is there to be in case you do drop your phone and it can protect your screen on your majestic 5t.

Ruby G. and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  8. FlixbusLennart

FlixbusLennart , Mar 22, 2018 :
    Keeping my device in good shape actually is pretty easy.

++++++HERE COMES THE BONUS++++++
    What I am telling you here doesn't only keep your device in good shape, but also yourself. Not physically, but mentally.

My number one way of keeping my device in shape is reducing the amount of apps I install. But there's more to it than just having an apps list that is as short as it can get.

*drum-roll sound effect plays*

UNINSTALL ALL SOCIAL MEDIA
    Yes! This is the holy grail of a device that runs well. Don't want to trust me? Here you go: Check your mobile data usage. Check the apps that use most of your battery. Check which app you used for the longest. Check what takes away most of your storage space. The answer to every single one of these questions will be Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook or whatever you decided to use. Obviously, media consumption apps like Netflix, Spotify... won't count.
    So, what's the deal here? Just try it out yourself, really. Disable your Instagram, stop checking your Facebook account every 10 minutes, uninstall the Twitter app. Restrict yourself from communities like these. The endless flow of content, be it information or cat videos, or just someone you met at a party 4 years ago who shares he just had a nice dump - it is bad. For your phone storage, battery, data and for you personally.
    You will feel like you are missing something. In the first days you will want to check the feed, you will get to the point where you use every feed, any flow of information, as a substitute for social media. But this will stop at some point and you will feel better. If you don't use social media as a way of wasting your time you are lucky.

The other steps are pretty common:

1. Do not use cleaning apps. With a little more than 3 minutes of time, you can achieve better results by deleting manually. Without a shady app that needs permission to monitor everything you are doing.
    2. Stop taking so many photos and videos. Let's face it, we all love taking photos. Be it a concert, a sunset, a building, or just a random flower. Don't take a photo of everything. When I first got my OnePlus 5, I filled up the storage within not more than 2 months, solely by taking pictures I would never look at again. My rule for myself is: If somebody showed me this picture, would I be impressed or would I be bored? For me, the answer ist the second, mostly. Bonus here: You get to feel the moment. I am glad I did not take one single photo when I went to a Linkin Park show back in 2015. It was 3 hours of pure emotion, something I could not have had if I experienced it through a 16MP view finder.
    3. Don't install things just for the sake of it. If it doesn't serve an explicit purpose, it shouldn't be on your phone. Games, for example. At times, I have 20 games installed at once. I try them out, I stop playing them, I forget to uninstall them. If you have not played a game in a month, you will not play it in a year. Didn't use the ultra-kewl new cooking app? Away with it, mom still knows best.
    Restricting yourself is hard, but it helps keeping yourself and your device in good shape, from whatever point of view.

Edit: My go-to way of making my phone run well is the occasional flashing of ROMs and switching between OOS and AOSP. Some ROMs will make you format your whole interal storage, so you basically start from scrap anytime you flash a new ROM or revert back to OOS. Great little side effect of being a flashaholic.

GopalB. and Ruby G. like this.
  9. GopalB.
    Nougat Mar 23, 2018

GopalB. , Mar 23, 2018 :
    But... That's all customizations!!!
    Nothing to do with keeping your phone in good shape...

NeVeR_SeTTLe likes this.
  10. 73ND41
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 23, 2018

11. zheyong
    Froyo Mar 23, 2018

zheyong , Mar 23, 2018 :
    I'll just skip to the battery part caz damn, you guys sure have skills on the exterior and internal software thingy. Somehow, the first thing degrades easiest and fastest over time is usually the phone battery. Thus here's some tips for that:

Temperature
    Plenty of reasons why your phone get hot, and here's the part where your battery percentage falls like a fool. Keep your phone cool, especially for me who is lucky enough to be born on the equator where our day time weather is scorching all year long. Try not to use your phone on the outside where the temperature is high, even better to switch off while you are going for a long walk under the sun, because even you put it in your pants pocket the heat-up body temperature may cause malfunction (like touchscreen sensor OR my OP fingerprint sensor will keep sensing my thigh until the limit exceeded). Even if you are driving at day time and have to use the GSP navigation, put your phone at a spot where the air-conditioner reach it, can save up to 40% of battery lost due to heat. Summary: keep your phone cool all day alrite.

Charge
    Sure you guys knew not to charge overnight, not just the risk of overcharging, constantly keep your phone battery at 100% is also a stressing to the battery. Personally thought, once it reach your satisfied percentage, use it with the charger unplug, could prolong your phone lifespan too.

Unfortunately, before the world discover the new tech of battery, we just gotta bare with the lasting capability with Li-ion.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018

Ruby G. likes this.
  12. dcmcc24
    KitKat Mar 23, 2018

dcmcc24 , Mar 23, 2018 :
    @Ruby G. nice topic.
    A phone is like a car or your body. You have to keep it in excellent shape to get the most out of it! Here are some of the ways I take care of my phone to make sure it doesn't sleep with the fishes sooner than it should ;)

Case: There are many options for cases that you can choose from. Do you go for style over substance and choose a very thin case that won't give you must drop protection? Will you go for an Otterbox case that can be driven over with an 18 wheeler truck and still be ok? I tend to prefer to meet in the middle with my phone cases. I like good coverage around the entire body of the phone as well as re-enforced corners with military standard drop protection. I've found the case that usually fits my needs is the Spigen Tough Armor, Supcase Unicorn Beetle, or Caseology Vault series.

Battery: Your phone battery is one of the most important aspects of your phone if you plan on keeping it a long time. To increase the longevity of the battery in my phones I don't charge it unless it needs to be charged. That means I don't plug it into a charger until it hits 15% or less and I only use official chargers. I've known alot of people that use cheap aftermarket chargers and their phones go bye bye too soon!

Software: To keep my phone running in good shape I generally steer clear of installing a bunch of apps I never use continuously and uninstall ones I no longer use. Another tip I've found that works really well is to go into recovery mode once or twice a month and clear the cache.

Screen: I'm not a believer in screen protectors. One of the first things I do when I get a OnePlus phone is to rip off the pre-installed screen protector! I want to enjoy that amoled in all it's beauty. However I do clean the screen a few times a week with eyeglass wipes. I've found they work really well and also kill any bacteria!

Using the above tips have allowed me to keep phones like the OnePlus One for years without even a scratch on it and running even better than the day I got it. Hopefully they can help you too :)

NeVeR_SeTTLe and Ruby G. like this.
  13. TheRealGamer
    Lollipop Mar 23, 2018

TheRealGamer , Mar 23, 2018 :
    We should take care of our mobile phone, always. But sometime people don't understand how to really care, so I am going to give some tips for that.

So let's get started.

Case : The first thing you should do is to buy a good case. Yes not a regular case. You should buy a case that have a layer over a screen and Camera, to ensure full protection. When purchasing case you can also check some things like ratings, reviews, durability and drop test in YouTube if possible. I know Case might hide the Beauty of phone but " If you gain some, you lose some "

Screen Protector : Nowadays Mobile Phone comes with Gorilla Glass 5 which is very tough and handle scratch very well. though " Precaution is better than a Cure " so I recommend you to buy only the OnePlus official Screen protector as it's of high quality and there are no visible bubbles in it.

Clean Phone Weekly : You should always clean the phone as well as the case weekly for a long lasting clean case and beauty of your Beast.

Insurance ( More Warranty ) : insurance are not always required. and I don't recommend it that much if you take care of your phone very perfectly.

Skin : There are sometimes when your phone get scratched by some unknown reason, and in that time you should consider some skins which enhances the beauty of your phone. You can also use skin for just some cool changes of the external look of your Phone. There are many skin company like SkinNova ( Mainly for India ) and Dbrand. I am just giving suggestions of the skin company, you can buy the skin from your favourite company.

And if you follow the above steps then you don't need anything more to secure your device.

and @Ruby G. your Tagged

NeVeR_SeTTLe and Ruby G. like this.
  14. Vignesh_chandz
    Honeycomb Mar 23, 2018

Vignesh_chandz , Mar 23, 2018 :
    Our smartphones have been our major investments from the very beginning of modern flagship devices. With top of the line specs , considering the devices selling cost point as high as selling kidneys ( thanks to apple ) , it makes sense to try, hold and attach onto our phone for longer than a urinary infected kidneys (lol). But we use them so frequently that they take a beating and become bogged down with too many apps and media we don’t need anymore. If we want our phone to be in top shape for as long as possible we need to make sure it's cleaned up — both the outside and the inside

THE OUTSIDE

Keeping our phone in sanity and showing it brand new takes little effort and can go miles in making you feel like you’re using the best of the best, even if it’s a couple years old. The neat trick make sure our daily hands on flagship driver is well sanitized I suggest buying electronics-specific antibacterial cleaning wipes to use on your phone, or a normal distillery water dipped in it just to swipe the dirth on our phones makes it shiny.(like a microfiber cloth used to clean screens or glasses). Importantly, do not— ( I repeat ), do not—use any harsh cleaners or scratchy cloths, as it may damage the phone.

For those tiny camera lenses, use a Q-tip and distilled water to gently clear the lens of any grime. You can also use a Q-tip to get into the speaker areas and various ports if necessary, or even try compressed air like the dryer to blow out dust.

Now we spoke on the sanitization and the health of the phone. Projecting my focus to most focused area of the phone : the screen which makes up to 75% of the phone. In order to keep the phone in good shape it's necessary to build up a rapo between the screen and the Tempered glass we are yet to apply. it's always advisory to choose the right tempered suiting the needs of the phone. Some Tempered Glass offer extreme sophisticated looks compromising on the protective layer which is just an eye wash and may deteriorate the protective satisfaction. Company branded or certified protectors are recommend as they produce a greater value while purchasing. I must appreciate the fact that OnePlus offers their own protective gears such as the 3D Tempered which is of great value for the level of protection it gives. The major Advantage in purchasing the company branded protective gear is that they do not compromise on Perfection. Now you must get my point , as OnePlus makes excellent phones , their cases are made sure they are perfectly fitted given the right protection. Hence Choose the right gears and obvious from right manufacturers.

THE INSIDE

Given enough time and applications our phone will inevitably slow down, suck up battery power faster, and generally perform badly. But there are ways and tips and tricks ticked in to counteract some of this wear and tear.

First things first, we should make sure we update our phone to the latest version of software when it becomes available, so that we don't miss on bug fixes and security issues. Software updates often include changes that smooth out the overall operating system experience. In case we decide to skip an update or two, we could be missing some key performance improvements.

Another simple trick to clean up and speed up our phone’s system is to go through , all the apps and delete those you rarely or never used. In most instances our phones are loaded up with “bloatware"
    as sticks into the system software and while we can’t completely delete or get rod of those apps, we sure still can and should disable them if they aren't under use. Giving a special toast to ONEPLUS for adapting it's own OXYGEN OS very well for giving us a rich experience of pure Android experience making it more light and Expressive. I like fact that oxygenOS made sure bloatwares are minimalistic on their devices. On a very long run you rarely find Bloatewares on a Oneplus device.

The neat trick to emptying our phones closets is having our settings to make sure photos and videos, at minimum, are being saved to our SDcard. If our phone's comes with pre installed storage hardware, here comes the cloud storage which is the trickster to all our storage problems. and yet simple, secure and easily accessible from anywhere. The most prominent one is the Google Cloud Drive which offers best in class experience. And while we are moving photos and videos to the cloud we must make sure the ones which are always reliable to stay on our phones. Keep the best of those 10 selfies you took and throw away the rest, or move them off your phone if you can’t stand to part with them.

In a worst-case scenario where our phone is slogging and lagging along and barely usable, I consider doing a factory RESET. Backup all your data first and reset the phone to wipe the slate clean. Trust me this the best neat trick I would suggest anyone to bring back a lagging slow phone back to its healthy rich state. The experience overall as factory resetting clears any backlogs and the caches and cookies choking upon the phones throat.

No wonders how often we replace our phones, making dents in our wallets. I suggest, it’s a good idea to have a regular maintenance routine that includes cleaning it from top to bottom and inside out. Our phone will last longer, look better, and perform at its best. These tips and tricks sure handles the phones best attire. @Ruby G.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018

Ruby G. likes this.
  15. GuitarHero0179
    Jelly Bean Mar 25, 2018

GuitarHero0179 , Mar 25, 2018 :
    All right, my tips for keeping my Oneplus phone in shape. I'll divide it into the hardware and software side of the phone. It also depends of course on the model you own. Let's start with the hardware side/the outside of the phone.

I broke the screen of my first cheap (under a €100) android phone, so when I switched to a more expensive phone I wanted good protection. I normally use a good hard shell case to protect the sides and preferably something with a raised edge so it offers some more protection for the screen. For my Oneplus One this was some 3rd party flip case (I believe Nillkin). For my Oneplus 5 I switch between the bumper and the sandstone protective case since I really like the grippy sandstone texture. The protective case also makes it easier to reach the alert slider. Both have a slightly raised edge to also protect the screen.

For the screen protection I went with a simple tempered glass on the One. Since that phone offered a screen without slight curving it was easy and cheap to slap glass on. I dropped the phone a few times on stone surfaces but other than a few dents there was screen damage. For the 5 I went with a silicone protector (clearplex) since glass didn't really wanted to stay on the screen. It was either a protector with adhesive on the sides or a full adhesive one that would cut off a slight bit of the screen. So far the silicone has been proven to be great. It offers good protection without color loss and there are no weird side effects like a dot matrix or rainbow effects in the screen.

From the software side I rarely use any program. Both the phones I had didn't need any optimalisation or cleaning apps. The only thing I do sometimes is cleaning system and app cache. (System cache after updating) to prevent weird behaviour. So far the above has been working very well for me.

Ruby G. and Shivang Joshi like this.
  16. midifire
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 20, 2018

17. rayoustriva1980
    Froyo Aug 16, 2018

rayoustriva1980 , Aug 16, 2018 :
    Once I purchase a phone I get all accessories that can protect it because I'm a clumsy person. Phone casing, screen protector, cord protector--name it, I have it a few hours after getting my new phone.

18. f1982
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 23, 2018

f1982 , Aug 23, 2018 :
    I have a slightly left-field bit of advice.
    the first two obvious ones...
    1. get a pack of 10 screen protectors, when it gets scuffed, take off and replace.
    2. get a cheap slimline case you like the look of.

now the most important step...
    3. forget about it. don't worry about it getting scratches, scrapes etc. just let it happen and expect it, if it happens. the amount of effort and concern and money i've put into trying to keep phones like new in the past is unreal. but in the end it always goes on ebay when I get a new phone. A phone with very minor marks that's 18-24months old might sell for about around 15% more than one with medium level of wear and tear. when you think about how little that is, how much worry you spend over the course of 1.5-2 years, the amount of money spent on expensive cases...I came to a realisation.
    It's not worth it.

So now I just accept any wear and tear. So what if it reduces the amount I get for the phone by £10 when I eventually sell it. It's just not worth the stress of trying (and eventually failing) to keep it as good as new.

That's my advice.

19. rayoustriva1980
    Froyo Aug 26, 2018

20. jmpickrell
    Froyo Aug 28, 2018