[Let's Talk] What do you know a lot about, besides smartphones?

1. Ruby G. Creative Copywriter Staff Member Jul 30, 2018

Ruby G., Jul 30, 2018 :
    Congratulations! You've stumbled upon one of our stickied question forum posts. Take a look at the question below and write a response if you find it interesting. Feel free to post your response on this thread or start a new thread if your response is over 500 words (be sure to copy & paste the question into a new thread and tag me so I notice).

What do you know a lot about, besides smartphones?

Posts of 300 – 1000 words will be automatically entered in to our ongoing rewards program and potentially be chosen to move to the next level. Have fun, debate with each other, and let the knowledge flow!

P.S. Looking for more questions like these? Winners from past Let's Talk rounds are hosting their own threads here.

8/1 Update
    Some long-form responses found in the wild:

2. johneebee Gingerbread Jul 30, 2018

johneebee, Jul 30, 2018 :
    • Some might say I know a little bit too much about "geek-culture". You can talk to me about everything that's mainstream, hitting the big screen or being made for tv until even some hardly known stuff that's only watched/read by a few.
    • Well I don't want to brag, but I know a little bit about how to BBQ/ bake / cook meat perfectly tender with lots of flavor and aroma.
    • Also I shouldn't brag but I know some stuff about woodworking, just build a pretty nice bedframe (2m X 1,40m)yesterday (only using materials costing me 25 euro) instead of buying one at the store(which would have cost me over 200 euro at least), I'm pretty proud of how much money I saved :p
    • Really shouldn't brag about this, but I'm really good at losing weight in a healthy way when I want to. I lost 15kg after my last break up and got in shape by giving myself a strict program.
    • I'm not bragging but I'm pretty good at making people forget I'm in the room by being really quiet ( a little bit like Drax the Destroyer in the last avengers movie...I'm making references again, sorry ..)
    • being a very modest person who doesn’t brags about anything
    • I know how to not talk to girls and about telling cringeworthy jokes that still makes people laugh..usually..sometimes
    • To be honest I know quite something about every piece of tech I own. I usually won’t buy myself something new without researching it quite thoroughly, especially if it’s pricy!
    • This being said, I also know quite a bit about the latest products and keep up with many upcoming interesting products and technologies that might be implemented in them one day.
    • I know a lot about how to make a comment of exactly 300 words

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018

3. toastytoast1234 Lollipop Jul 30, 2018

toastytoast1234, Jul 30, 2018 :
    I checked. Good job. I might deduct points for allot, which would take you to 301, but that would be abit pedantic for theInternet.

4. Moin2200 Jelly Bean Jul 30, 2018

Akhshay Srinivasan likes this.
  5. johneebee Gingerbread Jul 31, 2018

johneebee, Jul 31, 2018 :
    Ok, I might have kinda forced it a bit, fixed it though to be proper :p
    Also thank you for teaching me a new word (pedantic) :p

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018

6. toastytoast1234 Lollipop Jul 31, 2018

7. Venky61 Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 31, 2018

Venky61, Jul 31, 2018 :
    OSI.gif
    Not 15kg though... Do suggest me a program for 5kg ;)

idkwhoiam322 and johneebee like this.
  8. marcusskyfall Jelly Bean Jul 31, 2018

9. Kishan_k Gingerbread Jul 31, 2018

johneebee likes this.
  10. SJBoss KitKat Jul 31, 2018

11. Dresa91 Oreo Jul 31, 2018

Dresa91, Jul 31, 2018 :
    Hello @Ruby G. :) thanks for this topic:)

Well, I can say I am really sport, especially football/soccer addicted :D
    I follow every major international tournament (WC and EC). Plus the qualifiers.
    At national level I follow the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Bundesliga in Germany. I am a big FC Bayern Munich fan, in addition in the 2nd league Holstein Kiel.
    I also watch all CL and EL matches and am there for all German clubs.
    Here's the interesting part. I can keep pretty much anything about players, etc. and say. Easier than learning vocabulary. Oh man - if I should have written facts about the FCB at school, I would have had only the best grades.
    Today my fiancée suffers with me on the sofa - or I think BECAUSE OF me :D I believe I comment on every referee performance and I comment on every comment of the commentator. Bad with me D:D
    I don't know, I just can't help it. In addition, I also like to play football in my spare time. So: Football determines my life. It is a good break in any form and distracts you. So: when I have time, I watch almost every game, otherwise I have to use the football app "Kicker". So I am always informed and can further develop my "knowledge" :D

My second sporting passion is Formula 1, which has lost some of its importance in recent years, but as a child I was a huge Michael Schuhmacher fan! Forza! I watched every race, sat in front of the TV every night.
    Today I remain faithful to Ferrari, am Sebastian Vettel supporter. If a Schumis should break records, then also a German :)

That's why, in addition to IT in my job, I'm looking for a change in sports: football and Formula 1 - cars, paintwork and leather. Besides women the greatest passions of a man;)

12. MKT_IRFAN3735 Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 31, 2018

MKT_IRFAN3735, Jul 31, 2018 :
    BESIDES SMARTPHONE

I'm interested in playing cricket and I love to Bowl then I'm interested in travelling various places and I love to listen on lectures and ask different type of question related to that topic and I interested to keep the places clean and neat and also I love ride the Royal Enfield MADE LIKE A GUN[e]1f60d[/e]

13. johneebee Gingerbread Jul 31, 2018

johneebee, Jul 31, 2018 :
    Short answer: I did a calorie counting diet with the help of a calorie counting app + a bit of regular working out

I wrote it all down in a slightly longer response if you're interested to see my journey and exactly what I did in this thread , good luck! :D

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018

14. luigimario The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Jul 31, 2018

luigimario, Jul 31, 2018 :
    I'm not an expert on any topic, but there are several things that I know more about than the average person. Even though I work an office job now, I used to be a cook so I know a lot about food and cooking/baking. This is going to turn into a quick tips lesson on cooking and baking :)

If anyone's seen "Nailed It!" on Netflix you'll know that some people think they are awesome but don't even know the basics about baking. It's a really entertaining show, but I digress. When making baked goods there are some standard rules/techniques that help to make a better product. Things like measuring in weight rather than volume is more accurate, or the order in which to mix ingredients for a cake makes a difference, and not overfilling a cake pan before baking the cake will let it bake faster, more evenly, and not overflow all over the oven.

When icing a cake, start with the icing in a big blob on the top of the cake and spread it from the middle out to the edges and down the sides, without going over the same area several times. This will prevent you from picking up and spreading cake crumbs in the icing. You hold the icing spatula vertically and rotate the cake to spread the icing on the sides of the cake.

A quick lesson on searing meats in a pan, and not having food stick in a pan that isn't non-stick. I know this can be a problem for many people. You put oil in the pan but stuff still sticks to it, WTF right?!! The trick to this, without having to season a pan (a process to make it more non-stick) is to heat up the (stainless steel for example) pan sufficiently so that when you pour oil in it, it starts to smoke slightly. You don't want to burn the oil or start a fire, you just want it to smoke a little, then put your piece of meat in the pan away from you to avoid splashing hot oil on yourself. The meat may stick immediately, but after a little while it will get nice and golden brown and will release from the pan, you can then turn it over to get some colour on the other side. The same principle applies if you are doing something like a stir-fry. Just be sure to get the pan hot enough first so that the food won't stick. You don't need a ton of oil, the oil just needs to be hot.

Anyway, this seems like enough to discuss for now without making this post huge. If people are interested in more cooking tips or have questions, I really wouldn't mind starting a cooking thread if there isn't one already.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018

15. NeverGiveUpOnUrDreams KitKat Aug 1, 2018

NeverGiveUpOnUrDreams, Aug 1, 2018 :
    Hello @Ruby G. thanks for this let's talk thread

Well I'd like to think that, I know a lot about other things ;-)

I'd like to talk about F1, it's my favorite sport by far
    I'll take you on a little trip to explaining the F1 power unit
    F1 car run with V6 Turbo-Charged engines, with engine limited to 15000 rotations per minute
    Teams also tend to run with different fuel suppliers
    Exxon, Shell, Castrol etc.
    F1 Cars have a minimum limit of weight of 732 kg

About the weekend - It starts on Thursday with the pre race interviews
    We have 2 practice sessions on Friday(both 1,30h long)
    On Saturday we have the last practice session followed by Qualifying (it decides the grid positions for the race)
    On Saturday is the GP which is being awarded by points

Here's a short introduction to an F1 engine

The power unit is deemed to consist of six separate elements: the internal combustion engine (ICE), the motor generator unit-kinetic (MGU-K), the motor generator unit-heat (MGU-H), the energy store (ES), turbocharger (TC) and control electronics (CE).

Power unit :
    MGU- K (Motor generation unit - kinetic)
    It recovers kinetic energy from braking
    If it fails the rear tires get all the pressure

Motor Generator Unit - Heat (MGU-H) :
    It is the electrical machine linked to the exhaust turbine of pressure charging system as part of the ERS.
    ERS (Energy recovery system)
    A system that is designed to recover energy from the car, store that energy and make it
    available to propel the car and, optionally, to drive any ancillaries and actuation systems
    necessary for its proper function.
    Energy Store (ES) :
    The part of ERS that stores energy, including its safety control electronics

Also the Chassis and Aerodynamics play a big part in the competiveness of the F1 car, but I'm not going to talk about those this time

Hope you enjoyed reading it

16. Louioo Honeycomb Aug 1, 2018

Louioo, Aug 1, 2018 :
    I know (and should know) a lot about the foodservice industry, given that I am a foodservice consultant. Now when I say foodservice industry, I am not talking about cooking, ingredients, chefs, flavours etc. I am talking about enhancing asset value through the addition, or development of foodservice...bear with me.

In Shopping Centres, you typically have a 'Food Court' or cluster of food outlets, whether they are fast food or a mixture of sit down restaurants. As part of my job, I have to know what is surrounding these Centres, in terms of immediate foodservice 'potential' competition. I know about guest journeys and where best to position foodservice. To know all this, I get the opportunity to spend a few days in each City that we are appointed to work in. As a result of this, a lot of observation is made to how people use Shopping Centres and foodservice within.

So following observations and immediate surrounding reviews, which allows me to understand the existing foodservice landscape, I have to understand how the existing foodservice is performing at said Centre. Therefore, as well as observational work I delve into the figures and financial information for each unit, to calculate which are the over/under performers, as well as calculating how much foodservice space there is to total Centre space. In doing this, we can calculate whether there should be more, or less foodservice space created (based on industry trends and benchmarking data).

e.g.
    Centre has lots of leisure and is based in a City Centre, attracting 20m annual footfall - This is considered to be a prime Centre and should have up to 15% foodservice space, to total Centre space, based on it's location, leisure elements and footfall levels.

Total Centre space = 100,000m2 | Total Foodservice space = 5,000m2 | Foodservice space to Centre = 5%

This would be considered 'underprovided' in terms of foodservice at the Centre and as a result, we would look to create up to 10% more foodservice space.

Following this stage, we then need to work out from the new foodservice space required, what spaces can be allocated to different foodservice types. This sometimes takes form of reviewing architects plans for proposed developments etc. We know from the above example that we need 10% more, so in the first instance we will identify the spaces we can use for food.

Once we have identified the spaces we can use for food, we will allocated each space a type of foodservice i.e. Fast Food, Fast Casual, Casual Dining, Refuel & Relax etc. - We have a matrix which determines what category a certain operator falls into, based on their typical space requirements and offer.

Once we have calculated the optimum foodservice space - which might not be the full 10% more - we then create the foodservice vision. In doing so, we will take from our on ground research and create mood boards of 'ideal' operators for the spaces. As well as this, we will produce mood boards on different 'DNA' and environments, which will work.

Finally, we will provide a sustainable commercial projection for the new spaces, based on the space and estimated rental income for the Landlord. This is to give them an understanding of what type of operator can generate a certain amount of income for them, if they were to appoint them to the spaces we have identified.

idkwhoiam322, script and Ruby G. like this.
  17. Albright_Kim Donut Aug 1, 2018

Albright_Kim, Aug 1, 2018 :
    LET’S TALK ABOUT SCIENCE (cause I’m at work and none of my experiments are working)! So yeah, I guess I’ll talk about basic science? Often times people just defecate on the basic sciences. They look at people studying C. elegans (worms), Drosophila (flies) or bacteria, and ask: why do you waste so much time and money studying such useless organisms? They look at these “primitive” organisms and scoff at the idea that people (quite literally) dedicate their entire lives searching for answers in these irrelevant creatures. People ponder as to why scientists aren’t pooling their minds and resources to solving real problems, such as cancer, genetic diseases or mental illness. The fact is, there are amazing people every day trying to find clues or synthesize new drugs to solve those exact problems, but the ones that pave the way to those kinds of studies are the ones (often) shunted in the background doing seemingly irrelevant work. If it weren’t for people studying bacteria, we would still be in the age where diabetics didn’t have easy access to insulin, if it weren’t for C. elegans we wouldn’t know about siRNA (an easy and cost-effective method of gene silencing, ask me more about it if you want to know). That CRISPR-Cas9 method, the holy grail of genetic engineering? Again the process was discovered in bacteria (again if you want to know more just hmu). Now did these people know what they were going to find prior to these discoveries? Of course not! These findings are the result of hundreds of hours of work of people going “hey this looks interesting, let’s try this out”. There are incredible people out there doing incredible work. If a chance arises and you have the audacity to say, “but is it actually useful?”, please think twice. Chances are, the ones with the most doubt are the researchers themselves, and who knows? Maybe they’re just one experiment away from the next big thing :)

18. GuitarHero0179 Jelly Bean Aug 1, 2018

GuitarHero0179, Aug 1, 2018 :
    All right. What I know a lot about, besides smartphones.
    I love to learn so I could name a lot of topics, but the below are the most important for me:

- PC's & Hardware: Because of a personal interest from a young age and working in an electronics retail store I learned a lot about computers and computer hardware. Our store also had smartphones but I was part of the PC department. I just love to follow developments and see how far technology has come. Looking at recent game announcements and graphical improvements over the years just shows how much improvement has been made. I also love the creativity in picking the right parts and building a new system from scratch and knowing what makes a system work properly.

- Music: I've been playing guitar (you probably wouldn't have guessed from the username on the forum) for over 14 years now and it's definitely one of my biggest hobby's. Just being creative and coming up with new things and learning at the same time keeps me coming back to my guitar. Recently I also try to learn as much as possible as I can on recording and music production and just from working on it a lot I can see a nice improvement when looking back at previous recordings. Over the years I've also gained a lot of knowledge on guitars,amps and other gear needed (or at least what I think I need as an excuse to buy more).

- From my new recent job I have a basic understanding of event technology/rigging. As I work in a company producing a lot of items needing for rigging and staging it's very interesting to see what is needed for a safe and successful event. It also changes the way I look at stages when visiting events as you focus more on the technical side of things and see how much work has been done.

19. bart877ie Honeycomb Aug 1, 2018

bart877ie, Aug 1, 2018 :
    Hi
    Know more about smartphones.
    Well in my day to day life my other big hobby is aquarium.
    In my kitchen I have set it up a Malawi lake type of tank in which I keep species of fish that
    belong or are compatible with Malawi lake habitat.
    Passion for this sort of hobby begun in circa 1992 so way before smartphones era.
    At this time I don’t think there were even mobile phones in my country. (Poland)
    I remember circa 1995 first Siemens device supported by Centeretel network it was kind of mobile for the day, but set included small briefcase, huge battery pack and transmitter acceleration device.
    Also price of the phonecall was quiet astronomical.
    Anyways back to my Malawi lake tank. It is about 160 liters in capacity it is mostly decorated with dark gravel and very strong long leafs plant, there is also two coconut shells that I brought from my trip to Roatan Islands, which for me is my paradise on earth. Absolutely amazing, phenomenal place. Totally breath taking. oMG take me there anytime. Coral reef is stunning, water so clean that I have never seen better before and I did travel quiet a bit.

Jumping back to my tank, whole adventure with replicating such complicated eco system at home can teach you a lot of patience and can improve your attention to details and help to be persistent in achieving your goals. You need to be able to control water chemistry and know how to react of water gets to hard or acid. If some diseases start to spread in your tank, as the keeper you must know how to treat without putting other or more fragile species to consequences. Finally it also helps you to make tough decision as you need to learn when to pull the plug or decide what is the greater good you want to achieve.
    Being on this hobby for so long I would like to say that I have seen everything, however it is far from it. It is never ending scenario of possibilities and combinations.
    Maybe because of this, I have found world of tech to be kind of similar to it, each time you buy new device, smartphone, home cinema, laptop you are facing decisions, going for big brands, or smaller but with better equipment, lower price tag vs established network of service centres.
    It is all about choice but I believe that my experience with fish keeping is helping me to make good choices and gives me enough patience to trust in rising new projects.

good luck

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018

20. brian.sedore Gingerbread Aug 2, 2018

brian.sedore, Aug 2, 2018 :
    Before I get into the more abstract topics, I’ll stick with technology so far and say that I know quite a bit about computers. Growing up in a home without computers until I started high school hindered me a little bit, but I was able to pick up quite a bit. Getting a few jobs at my university in the field enabled me expand my knowledge on the topic.

Now, onto the more unrelated topics. Since I was in my early years of school, I always had an interest in mathematics. So much so that when I reached my last year of high school and didn’t know what I wanted to do, I just applied to math programs. After getting my degrees, it has brought me to the place where I am now and I couldn’t be more appreciative of the topic. The subject has allowed me to think in different ways be more efficient in visualizing solutions to problems.

For the last couple of years, I have taken up chess as a hobby. I’ve known how to play since I was around 10, but I didn’t play seriously until a couple of years ago when I watched somebody on YouTube play for fun. I remember thinking “Wow! This guy’s pretty good!”. Now looking at those same videos, I realize he really wasn’t, but that’s ok. Since I’m far too old to become anything important in the chess world, I keep playing because I find it fun and interesting. I know the the ideas behind most openings, but it’s given me the experience to be able to see many moves ahead. There are so many lessons in chess that can be applied to real life it is unbelievable it is not taught regularly in schools. At least, not here anyway.

One last thing I’ll mention is that I have watched NASCAR for the last 18 years or so religiously. I know most people find it boring, but there’s a lot more to it than just turning left. The competition (not as much this year) is exciting and there’s usually some rivalries that keep it entertaining.

I know what you’re thinking: “Man! Chess, math, and NASCAR. Who isn’t interested in those topics?” ;) Can’t help what I’m interested in though.

puccellino, idkwhoiam322 and Ruby G. like this.