[Let's Talk] What do you know a lot about, besides smartphones?

1. Jake Wright Froyo Aug 2, 2018

Jake Wright, Aug 2, 2018 :
    photojournalism, fixing 80s Mercedes, guns , computers mac and PC. Canadian politics, science , amateur psychology, home audio , sniping and marksmanship, history, airsoft , I am a great cook, can make moonshine, and giving university lectures .

Ruby G. likes this.
  2. script Marshmallow Moderator Aug 2, 2018

script, Aug 2, 2018 :
    I know a lot about script writing and story development. (Unfortunately I don't know much about selling a script:- )

One major problem is to get a story rolling. To get the characters in action. That's why two kinds of stories are told so often: detective stories and love stories. A crime happens, and the detective is in action from the first minute. One person meets another person and a love story starts.

The starting point of a real story is, when a person suddenly acts different from his/her usual behavior. For instance, a contract killer doesn't pull the trigger of his weapon. You want to know why.

That is one, if not the main goal in story telling: make the audience desperately needing to know why.

Another engine is the concept of hope vs fear. The audience knows what the main character has to achieve, and the author has to deliver scenes in which the character is near to reaching his goal, and then, in the next scenes, suddenly all seems to be gone and impossible. The obstacles and how the character deals with them reveals his true character to the audience. At the beginning he might be a coward and hesitates, then he learns some lessons and improves his skills and knowledge, and then he might grow.

I could write more, something like 200 pages, but let's stop this here.

I also know much about Frank Zappa and Genesis, my two favorite musical influences. And I know this and that about film making and editing. Ah, and squirrels. And i know one very tasty thing: I can make dumplings.

3. V1531956085539 Froyo Aug 2, 2018

Jake Wright and Ruby G. like this.
  4. V1531956085539 Froyo Aug 2, 2018

V1531956085539, Aug 2, 2018 :
    Wow, that's cool. I've always wanted an aquarium.

idkwhoiam322, script and bart877ie like this.
  5. ghostofcain Lollipop Aug 4, 2018

ghostofcain, Aug 4, 2018 :
    Drugs, divorce and Heavy Metal. I'm sorry I could say more but this makes me sound more interesting if I don't flesh it out.

piccionel likes this.
  6. kuverti Gingerbread Aug 6, 2018

kuverti, Aug 6, 2018 :
    Interesting to read through the responses. Surprised at such a diverse community. Expecatly @johneebee skill to write comments exactly 300 words. I think my personal interests lay kind of everywhere a little – from photography and sport to videograpgy and film.

Now I am not sure about what exactly I know a lot of or am good at but if I rely on my grandma. She believes I am a tech god – that I know how to fix every phone and have an answer to any question regarding the subject. This hasn’t been always so, I think my father had the title for some time, but at one point I also started helping him with tech issues so soon it will be a 10th aniversary since I got the title. So far so good. Proud of it.
    Right now I believe I can fix pretty much any major or minor issues regarding radios, televisions, smartphones, software issues, you name it. If it is tech, I know how to solve it. It is like a superpower of sorts. I mean I won’t be fighting a big boss anytime soon, but I kind of get excited every time the mailman comes … waiting for my letter to the superhero academy.
    I already picked up somewhere that with great power comes great responsibility and I think I have been using it for good. Helping parents, aunts, grandparents and some friends and asking nothing in return has to be good right? (actualy I still always get something – food, beer or at least a smile – but this isn’t why I am doing it) ((I mean it is partly why I do it))

So returning to the question.. “What do you know a lot about, besides smartphones?”. I know a lot about how Google search bar works.

Ruby G. and johneebee like this.
  7. Akhshay Srinivasan Marshmallow Aug 7, 2018

Akhshay Srinivasan, Aug 7, 2018 :
    Hi !

Besides smartphones, I know the world, the technology, the arts, people, and everything !

How to start with ?

As the human existence is growing day-by-day, we can't predict what life brings us with but some are pretty much visible and evident to us in this fast growing tech world.

In that array :

Culture :

World is huge and people are sprouting like seeds everywhere (based on population stats). So, what's meant by culture ?

Mixing with people is the fundamental and a common phenomena. Then comes our attributes and skills coupled with our attitudes.

Oh wait ! Doesn't this give us a jerk ?

We as sapiens tend to follow the cult of our regime which follows the mass gatherings and gets influenced.

Isn't it our right to live for ourselves ? I confess upon this on high. We must live to love and not love to live.

Environment :

To start with the rules and policies of the govt. globally we aren't that rich to stay happy (focus isn't in wealth here). Citizens are taxed for nothing be it from their income or from the goods or services purchased or sold.

Just for the sake of traditional Acts, this democracy keeps the environment within it's zone. Then why should we talk of Independence ?

With vast growth of automobile sectors, the environment is benefited as well as exploited. Pollution being the major hit for the imbalances on the earth.

So, I felt that we as sapiens must try to make our environment and habitats neat, clean and safe :)

Technology :

What am I to say about tech in this forum ? Not necessary to explain as it's a self explanatory word which has swallowed the world with it's ideologies and innovations.

Friendship :

This being my favourite chapter to discuss, calls for lots of maturity and ability to interact. It's not alone the fun factor which determines the word to win over.

So, what does friendship mean in short ?

Friendship = Sharing and helping each other with consensus and ofcourse with fun and caution :)

Emotions :

In short emotions are the nub of one's nature based on situations.

So, try to have a reason to smile :)

To conclude, I would like to thank @Ruby G. for bringing in the emotions within us ;)

Zh_kilat, Venky61 and Ruby G. like this.
  8. hikari_kobushi Froyo Aug 10, 2018

hikari_kobushi, Aug 10, 2018 :
    I have quiet a few interests besides mobile technology. Main ones are Geography and Japan. I love to read and watch anything related to exploration, my favourite is Nat Geo channels. Usually when we watch or listen to quizes and there is question related to Geography I feel comfortable to answer. which annoy my partner (me showing off).
    My interest in Geography born in High School, I have had amazing teacher for this subject who always helped me to increase my knowledge and boosted my confidence on the matter.

Japan and all related topics are another thing I love to follow. Starting with history of the country, moving through geography (obviously) and ending at culture and media. My dream and point to be checked on my bucket list is to visit Japan in the future. I like to read and watch anything related to that country as well especially about Age of Warring States and Yakuza as well as Martial Arts which origin from this country.
    Speaking of the land of rising sun I have to mention anime. Of course I am watching it, this is a part of Japan like a charger is a part of a smartphone. In my teenage years I came across (very luckily) a very first episode on Dragon Ball on TV and showed it to my brother. Since then we watched a lot of anime and read many many manga. I am in my theerties now and I still prefer to watch good anime (Attack on Titan, One punch man) than typical American TV show which is the same very other season (Arrow, Supernatural, Flash).

Last but not least I love to and I really enjoy playing Scrabble, I am not particularly good at it but I don't need to be good at something to enjoy it

Ruby G. likes this.
  9. kellyon Eclair Sep 10, 2018

10. Goodgy Cupcake Sep 13, 2018

Goodgy, Sep 13, 2018 :
    Besides smartphones I'm pretty good at coding programs that make stuff faster/easier to do, as the human is pretty lazy by nature ( not always, but mostly ) i always find out a way to make repeated processes be done quicker, from daily routine stuff to stuff newly coming on my path.

Coded programs with voice recognition for voice controlled lights and heating but also wrote a bot that automatically identified things i was doing each day ( e.g. if i started my morning driving to starbucks to get coffee, my bot would automatically record my GPS and compare it to google maps to see what i did on that specific location ).

Currently expanding my voice recognition program to be self learning.

Jake Wright likes this.
  11. Jake Wright Froyo Sep 13, 2018

Jake Wright, Sep 13, 2018 :
    can you make an app that uses GPS that would send you instant reminders when you go to a certain location? like if you walk into a restaurant and your phone would say " remember you loved Caesar salad here" or a grocery store and automatically says " don't forget cat food" use your voice to input reminders " next time i am here remind me not to order the chicken club" and the GPS would let you know.

12. C1539817170577 Cupcake Oct 18, 2018

C1539817170577, Oct 18, 2018 :
    I'm keen on playing cricket and I want to Bowl at that point I'm occupied with voyaging different best neck braces spots and I want to tune in on addresses and solicit diverse compose from inquiry identified with that subject and I intrigued to keep the spots perfect and slick and furthermore I cherish ride the Royal Enfield MADE LIKE A GUN.

13. Vamsi Varun Honeycomb Oct 25, 2018

14. oliv88 Cupcake Oct 30, 2018

oliv88, Oct 30, 2018 :
    I think I know hell lot of about motorcycles, die-cast models and yes cooking too.

15. twistedsixty4 Gingerbread Oct 30, 2018

twistedsixty4, Oct 30, 2018 :
    when i came across this post one subject immediately came to mind, Data Ethics. It is not something that a lot of people normally think of, in fact some people probably argue it is not even a thing.

I suppose a little context is in order. I work for a data software company in San Francisco, and i've been in the industry for the last approximately 7 years. This has taught me to see the data behind everything, that cup of coke you just filled at the movie theater? the exact amount of syrup you used was logged. that awesome photo you just uploaded to instagram? facebook knows you were sitting on the toilet when you posted it. there is so much data available, and companies are just starting to realize everything they can do with it. but thats the context, data ethics is about what is right and wrong in how data is used.

ethics is a tricky question whenever it comes up. this is because ethics has its roots in morality, this means that a person's belief structure or worldview is involved. while some rules are universal, akin to natural law or human rights, others are subject to a specific belief. a good example of this is a cultural belief of personal liberty, in China the government has greater control over population because the people value safety and structure over freedom, in the US we look at China and think "those people are oppressed" because we value freedom over security and provision. who is to say who is right or wrong? is either approach right or wrong?

Data Ethics is really about setting standards, it's not to say one is right or wrong, but rather how far is too far? when is it acceptable to use data? you might say personal data like your bank info or cell phone activity are private and no one should have access to it, but from a government perspective that data is key to finding criminal and terrorist activities. often this data is used without us even knowing, is that bad? is it better to know the government is protecting us without us know how they are protecting us? ignorance is not bliss, but it does help us sleep at night.

anyways if i ramble on much longer i'll sound like a conspiracy theorist. I'm working on a book with a colleague about data ethics, we both find data to be a powerful and dangerous subject. if enough people are interested to debate data ethics i might open a thread here to discuss it further.

16. KidAKidB Froyo Nov 13, 2018

KidAKidB, Nov 13, 2018 :
    I won’t try to claim that I know a lot about anything, but outside of smartphones and technology my main interests/hobbies are music and books. I’ve been playing the piano since I was a toddler and then moved on to guitar and bass. As far as music I listen to, my username and profile picture give away who my favourite band is (RADIOHEAD!), but I’m also really into New Order, Courtney Barnett, Iggy Pop, Underworld, Aphex Twin, Portishead, Massive Attack, etc as the list could just go on and on. I don’t think there’s a single moment that goes by where I am not listening to music, whether it’s at work, home, driving, walking or sleeping (Okay, I don’t really listen to music when sleeping, but usually will have an album playing quietly while falling asleep though).

Everyone discovers new music in different ways and sure I love going through Spotify’s recommendations as their algorithms are pretty amazing, but the main way I discover new music is through music forums (https://rateyourmusic.com/ is a great one) and mainly just read lots of music blogs. There are also plenty of online chats dedicated to music and such, where it’s nice to share similar music tastes with random people.

As for books, my favourite author is Haruki Murakami and pretty much anything that falls within the magical surrealism realm. I have tried many different ebook readers and the one that I keep falling back on is the Kobo Aura One, I enjoy it so much more than any Kindle I’ve ever tried. Not only does it have better backlighting, Kobo’s points system is pretty cool too and best of all it uses ePub format, rather than Kindle’s proprietary .mobi.

As for how I discover new books, I usually just pay attention to what my favourite musicians recommend and start there. I figure if I appreciate their music, I’d probably appreciate what they enjoy reading as well!

17. GfdjkFwM Cupcake Dec 13, 2018 at 7:49 AM

GfdjkFwM, Dec 13, 2018 at 7:49 AM :
    The inception of iPhone and by extension all the top smart phones has handedly transformed the world of communication. This is due to their multitasking aspect that allows a user to do a lot of executions at ago. The iPhone relies on its iOS operating system in data processing and storage. For example, the iOS operating system will help in the storage of your data including photos, messages application software and audio files among others.

In some occasions, this data may be lost either through malware infestation or accidentally deleting this data. This gives rise to the question, can I recover my data and if so what is the best iPhone data recovery software? Next we will have a peek at top-rated iOS data recovery software available in the digital market.

TunesKit iPhone Data Recovery for Mac is very credible data recovery software that will recover a vast range of lost data files and will carry out this operation very fast. It has a preview function and will allow you to select the file types that you want to be recovered. It is prided as the best iPhone data recovery software in terms of efficiency and speeds in executing the recovery process. It also recovers files of large sizes. It recovers lost data in three ways, namely, recover from the device, recover from iTunes backup and recover from iCloud backup.

TunesKit iPhone Data Recovery Key Features

ž It can recover 20+ kinds of lost data including iMessages, contact, call history, photos, videos, notes, etc.
    ž You are allowed to preview data before recovery and select the specific files you want to recover.
    ž The 3 advanced recovery modes enables you to find back deleted files either from the iOS devices directly or iTunes/iCloud backup.
    ž Supports iOS data recovery for both Windows and Mac operating system.
    ž Fully compatible with almost all iOS devices ranging from iPhone 4 to iPhone XS, all models of iPad, iPod touch 5 and more.