[Let's Talk] What Does Your OnePlus Device Replace?

1. Black Forest Ham
    The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Jul 17, 2018

Black Forest Ham , Jul 17, 2018 :
    Your OnePlus device. What do you use it for? What has it made useless?

Obviously, being the multi-functional powerhouse that it is, your smartphone can replace a lot of things in your daily life, like an alarm clock, an mp3 player, or a flashlight, just to name a few.

After I started using my OnePlus 5T and a bluetooth keyboard instead of a laptop to take notes in classes, lots of heads were turned, and I was hooked on finding more ways to use my OnePlus to its fullest potential. However, there's much more than that, and I'd love to know;

What are the most important things your OnePlus device replaces in your day-to-day life?

Does your OnePlus take the place of a dedicated camera? What about a notebook or shopping list? Does it replace you as a parent to your children?(hopefully not!)

If you really want to go for gold, list out all the things your OnePlus takes the role of, or the most creative ways your OnePlus replaces something in your life, and we'll really see who's the biggest power user here!

I'm excited to see all of your responses!

Mjo, AlTeX, Punk_69 and 6 others like this.
  2. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Jul 17, 2018

The1Lion , Jul 17, 2018 :
    On trips I typically do not take a camcorder or camera anymore, just use my phone. Short trips I may leave the GPS behind and use the phone. At times instead of starting up my PC, I'll just use the phone - depends on what I need to get done.
    So I'd say I haven't used a camera in years, rarely use my camcorder and use my PC and GPS (TomTom) less.

Black Forest Ham and script like this.
  3. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Jul 17, 2018

Venky61 , Jul 17, 2018 :
    Truly the smartphone technology has changed so much in our lives. The dependency on them increased tremendously and not just for communication for but also for many more applications. Due to my work related restrictions, my phone usage is only during non working hours and even in that limited duration the phone has replaced a lot of things. So let me list the most important gadgets/things that my phone replaces.

• The first thing is definitely Camera. I used to carry either my DSLR or Advanced POS camera for my journey and recently I find myself preferring the Phone camera more for most of the pictures due to its mobility and improved camera performance. The video capturing capability is one more strength of the phone. EIS and IOS makes it easy to shoot videos anywhere within a snap.
    • Music Player/Ipod is the second major thing. I would always love to plug headphones during traveling and enjoy the music. The online streaming music players have also helped for this boost.
    • Tablet. There was a time when tablets were capturing the market well for media consumption and gaming. But with the present display size, movie watching is not a problem.
    • Portable Gaming consoles- I remember the nostalgic days of playing brick game all the time, classic cassette video games during the holidays. Nowadays its mostly replaced by the phone. Except for games that are specific to PS4 or Computer, I love to play the games on phone. Thanks to the vast gaming library of Android.
    • News paper. The perfectly curated apps help you to get updated with the latest news in short times.
    • Fire Stick Remote. Its a tough task to type something with the existing remote. For majority of the time I prefer controlling the Fire Stick with phone.
    • Desktop for Image Post Processing- With snapseed and Picsart, I find it more convenient to edit any image in the phone rather than Lightroom/Photoshop on desktop.
    • Workout Tracker- I keep forgetting the exercise and reps I did the last day. So I prefer entering them into my phone so that I can target higher weights and reps next time.
    • Compass- Especially for my parents. Thanks to Vastu Shastra In India :p
    • Scale/Measuring tape- I started using this recently after the hype of AR. I woudn't say its super accurate but its very handy when you don't have any of those tools and I believe in some months they would totally replace them.
    • Alarm.
    • Shopping List.
    • Webcam.
    • Reminder
    Finally I would want to end this by saying "It's not that we use Technology, We live Technology" - Godfrey Reggio

I would like to send my regards to both the hardware manufacturers and the App Developers for making this transformation possible.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018

4. Black Forest Ham
    The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Jul 20, 2018

Black Forest Ham , Jul 20, 2018 :
    That's definitely a very well rounded use case! That's awesome that you have your phone on par with your professional cameras, do you think there's still a wide gap between phone photo quality and DSLR quality, for normal shots? Do you feel any of the image processing options available on android are lagging behind what's available on desktop? Also, I'm very curious about "webcam," could you tell me more?

Getting to the point of replacing a PC at times, now that's really something! How do you feel the phone's GPS quality and accuracy compares with a dedicated GPS?

Venky61 and The1Lion like this.
  5. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Jul 20, 2018

Venky61 , Jul 20, 2018 :
    If the Aim for photography is majorly to share only on digital platform, I would say the gap between phone photo and DSLR is less for most of the subjects. I repeat again, not all subjects but for most of the subjects.

Portrait is one subject where the quality differs alot. The phone manufacturers might say that it is same as DSLR but it isn't. The reason being, choice of lenses for DSLR. I can chose between 50mm f/1.8 lens or 30mm f/1.8 or even higher aperture f/1.2 depending on the subject and the environment. The phone can't do that.
    I was seriously looking forward for Modular phones as that would have opened a totally new perspective of adding modules according to the need. But sigh. :(.

Long exposure is one more area where the phone has its limitations. Yes the phones have lower shutter speeds till 30sec and 60sec too but there is no option to decrease the aperture for the same. Result- Over exposure. But thankfully with the recent boost in clip on lens, the mobile photography is covering more areas and decreasing the dependability for DSLR. I have tried clip on lens like Fish Eye, Wide Angle, Macro and also ordered ND filter. They all serve really well. A decrease in the cost for high quality lens would be also essential to reduce the gap.

To answer your question again... For normal shots, the gap is becoming less day by day. :)

Yes there are many.
    • Lasso Tool. I did not find any efficient one on Android yet. Adobe has one but it is not as effective as the ones on desktop. Some photos really make me jump back and forth from phone to desktop.
    • Second is an option to save the editing as a preset. Very few apps give that option.
    • And the major leap to take is by the video editing apps. They are no where near to dekstop ones. The apps are ok for making random videos but not a professional one. I really wish for this to happen.
    By webcam, I meant for Video calling. Earlier I used to do skype with my parents through desktop webcam due to mediocre front cameras and tiny screens on the phone. Thanks to large displays, selfie craze and Jio in India, the video calling is much better through phones. :)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018

6. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Jul 20, 2018

The1Lion , Jul 20, 2018 :
    Pretty much the phone is accurate - just as much as the GPS but I don't have a good mount for it so it tends to move a bit at times. Not too bad for the local stuff where I need some guidance but tend to use the GPS for the longer trips as it has traffic updates and it also allows me not to drain the phone, although I guess in my newer car I could charge it as I go anyway. In fact, I may use the GPS to get somewhere and then switch over to the phone (as it's easier to input destinations) to visit attractions near the hotel I am staying at.

Black Forest Ham and Venky61 like this.
  7. Punk_69
    Lollipop Jul 22, 2018

Venky61 and Black Forest Ham like this.
  8. OneByOneTwo
    Froyo Jul 22, 2018

Black Forest Ham likes this.
  9. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Jul 22, 2018

Dresa91 , Jul 22, 2018 :
    For me, my OP3 ist just a smartphone. I am using it for messaging, E-Mail, listening to music and browsing.
    For photos I have a SLR, and for office work I have a laptop.
    So it is just a "thing" to stay in touch with my beloved people.

10. PatrickNL
    Gingerbread Jul 22, 2018

PatrickNL , Jul 22, 2018 :
    It replaces a lot..... Notebook, camera, paper, Navigation etc....

So far the my OP6 is the best replament so far

11. johneebee
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jul 22, 2018

johneebee , Jul 22, 2018 :
    What Does Your OnePlus Device Replace?

Like everyone agrees, smartphones these days are like swiss army knifes. You can do everything with them that you could do with a laptop but even more, from all browsing the net, to ordering a pizza to using them as a flashlight when you can't find the keyhole at your house to put the key in.

• study device: The main thing my smartphone replaces (except for well ..a phone ) is as a place to store my books, summaries and other study material. You'll often find me staring at my phone studying in university. I don't want to carry all my learning material with me. But nowadays (especially in Oneplus phones) I have always enough room to just download all my summaries, powerpoints and pdf's to, so I can just study whenever I have some time like when I'm waiting on the bus or during long rides making me actually be productive instead of just wasting an hour and a half a day on public transport.
    • media and gaming device: Well don't imagine I'm only into studying, often I just wanna relax when I'm sitting on the bus for almost an hour.. it's still time that's better spent than most people, just staring in front of them. At least that way I can keep up with my series and I can do other stuff at home.
    • personal coach: I use a calorie calculator app that tracks all I've eaten(by scanning barcodes with the camera) and how much I've worked out to calculate how much I should eat to lose weight, but still stay healthy. And thanks to that and the motivation it gave me I lost 10Kg in a couple of months.
    • music player: Never owned an MP3 player, but I'm sure happy I have this phone-band to wrap my phone around my arm so whenever I go to the gym I can listen to my personal music.
    • alarm: I have a desk alarm but you can do so much more with a smartphone alarm, with a normal alarm-clock I have to remember to reset my alarm if i turned it off during the weekends. With a smartphone I can just pre-set specific days I need to be woken up at a specific hour.
    • gps: Always more up to date then my actual dedicated gps
    • dictionary
    • Post pigeon
    • calendar and agenda: I need reminders in my life!
    • basic prop for awkward moments: just to have something to look at and look busy at times when I don't know what to talk about. Also helpful for those moments when you don't know what to do with your hands :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018

12. adrnjgr
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jul 22, 2018

adrnjgr , Jul 22, 2018 :
    Keeping it short and to the point

1. The wallet. I've been going cashless for a couple of years now thanks to contactless cards. But since I hate wallets and I tend to leave my cards at home, I use Google Pay almost exclusively.

2. All sort of remotes. Luckily you can do a lot of things with apps. From music and video to lights and plugs and all kind of smart appliances, I've got everything on my phone.

3. Sure, camera, mp3 player, agendas. Not notebooks, though. I still love those.

13. sreejitnair
    Cupcake Jul 23, 2018

sreejitnair , Jul 23, 2018 :
    OP6 definitely replaces the necessity of traveling around with a power bank in my pocket! I'm very happy with the battery on OP6 and Dash charging just makes life easy!!

14. Louioo
    Honeycomb Jul 23, 2018

Louioo , Jul 23, 2018 :
    Firstly, it replaces my alarm clock. Which is probably one of the most important features of any phone IMO. Secondly, it replaces all the other luxuries in life e.g. Camera/Social Media/Newspapers etc

15. soare_body
    Froyo Jul 23, 2018

soare_body , Jul 23, 2018 :
    My Nexus... it replaces my Nexus :)

Hopefully OnePlus will stay just as close to stock android as it is now and continues this awesome customer-oriented trend with updates and great all-round devices. Regards!

16. Its.Leandroo
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jul 23, 2018

Its.Leandroo , Jul 23, 2018 :
    I totally agree with that, however I'd like to clarify that Snapseed gives the ability to save multiple custom edit presets.

Unfortunately it doesn't have a lasso tool, bot magic tool etc.

17. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Jul 23, 2018

Venky61 , Jul 23, 2018 :
    I am really glad that you agree. And thanks for pointing at the presets option in Snapseed :)
    Lets hope the lasso tool makes it to android.
    Also which apps do you use for image processing other than snapseed?

18. Its.Leandroo

I pretty much only use Snapseed, as it gets the job done for most of my needs, otherwise I'll edit it on my laptop or pc.

Lasso tool on Android would be nice, however I don't think if it's practical. as you can't be as precise with a touchscreen as with a mouse. (Probably me not being good at it)

19. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Jul 23, 2018

Venky61 , Jul 23, 2018 :
    Yea snapseed is very powerful indeed. You should try picsart for layers though. Give it a try.
    Lasso can be used without even being super precise. The pinch to zoom option would hep though. And magic wand will be easily applied on touch screens as it doesn't need much precision.

20. Its.Leandroo

I'll try the app you suggested, even though Snapseed can do it too. I think the OnePlus Gallery can do it too.

Luckily I don't use the Lasso that often, mostly because my pictures don't really contain objects. I have a few on my Insta, Its.Leandroo.

But zoom would be really helpful.