[Let's Talk] What Does Your OnePlus Device Replace?

1. LinkRar
    Froyo Jul 23, 2018

LinkRar , Jul 23, 2018 :
    What my OnePlus replaces:

My laptop. Since it broke on me back in April, my OnePlus has become my daily device for everything. Emails, social media posts, storage of files, it does it all.

Black Forest Ham likes this.
  2. Deactivated User
    Jul 26, 2018

Ruby G. likes this.
  3. jservs7
    Cupcake Jul 26, 2018

jservs7 , Jul 26, 2018 :
    What Does Your OnePlus Device Replace?

A Nexus 6P that ended up having terrible battery issues. Even after getting a replacement from Google, the battery eventually started dying and the phone would randomly shut off when it would reach 30-40% or when the temperature was too cold. (If you do a Google search, others have had the same issues)

The battery issue left me stranded multiple times when commuting which was frustrating and at times scary. I needed to carry a clunky back up battery and charge the phone 3-4x a day.

Your OnePlus device: What do you use it for? What has it made useless?

I primarily used mobile phones in the past just for web browsing, work/personal communication and travel, but I have gotten into lots more gaming (kinda lost interest in my Nintendo Switch) and photography now because of how well the OnePlus 6 performs in these aspects.

What are the most important things your OnePlus device replaces in your day-to-day life?

I've always been a person who depended on their mobile phone for so many things in my everyday life. My OnePlus 6 doesn't replace anything, but it enhances everything.

I've enjoyed features of previous phones, but the OnePlus 6 is the first device I really feel surpasses all my expectations for technological advancements for a mobile phone. The battery life is incredible and brings me peace of mind, DASH charging wows me every time I charge my device and the performance I get when running tasks with no heating whatsoever has just been great.

The OnePlus 6 has to be the best mobile phone I've owned during any period I've had a mobile device.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018

4. H1511744796139
    Froyo Jul 26, 2018

H1511744796139 , Jul 26, 2018 :
    I've replaced a Moto X 2014 with a f-up battery with a 3T, used for a year and now got a OnePlus 6. It almost replaces my PC, replaced a mp3, camera, notebook, laptop, alarm, some books, a TV... I'm very happy with it

5. brian.sedore
    Honeycomb Jul 28, 2018

brian.sedore , Jul 28, 2018 :
    Darn. You beat me to it. My OnePlus device replaces my Nexus 5. Before that, I had a Nexus 4. Been a long time since upgrades.

I also use it for an alarm clock and a reminder tool for important things. For the everyday things (or seldom things), I just use my memory so I don't get too reliant on technology. If you don't use it, you lose it.

It acts as my phone as I don't have a home phone. So it doesn't actually replace anything there. I also use it primarily for connecting with friends and family. That's pretty much it actually. Don't do any gaming or play around with any time-wasting apps for the most part. I like to keep my phone for the basic things mostly.

6. soare_body
    Froyo Jul 30, 2018

soare_body , Jul 30, 2018 :
    Hehe, my history involves Galaxy Nexus > Nexus 4 > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > OP 5T (still in my family) > OP 6 :)

Mine replaces:
    - alarm clock
    - music player
    - wallet since I am using NFC payments
    - GPS tracker for running & biking activities
    - fitness coach
    - GPS navigation for my car through android auto
    - camera
    - agenda
    - newspaper
    - all sorts of buttons for smart home appliances
    - scanner with Office Lens
    - calculator

And surely many more which do not come to mind at this given time.

Cheers!

7. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Aug 1, 2018

luigimario , Aug 1, 2018 :
    I'm going to borrow my own response from another let's talk thread because it fully applies here. I'll trim it down and add in a few more uses now that I've thought about it.

I definitely communicate with a lot more people now that I have email and calling at my finger tips. I used to call a few friends occasionally when I was younger, but with a smartphone it's so easy to just send a text for anything to friends or family.

I don't have to carry around a gameboy anymore to play games, or a calculator. Don't need a pen or paper to take notes of stuff, don't need a camera, or a flashlight. I definitely waste a lot more time now with this distraction device on me at all times. Check news, weather, games, messages, phone calls. Heck, I'm doing it right now as I write this post. It's a bit ironic that a device that was supposed to save me time is causing me to have less free time for other things.

Don't need to carry a book around, or a portable dvd player. Don't need to carry credit cards, I can do banking from anywhere, don't need a tape recorder or a video camera. Online shopping, spell check, to-do list, instant access to anything you could possibly want.

I use my phone to research things on the net (for purchases or information), I use it when I'm too lazy to go over to the computer. I listen to music, navigate, get traffic updates, try not to text and drive :p Use it as a timer, and alarm, a stopwatch, fitness tracker, and clock.

Creative/unusual uses would include a paper weight, a mirror with the camera or screen off, mosquito deterrent with that high frequency app (don't think it works), a way to cool or heat my cheek or forehead (depending if the phone is hot or cold), a back scratcher, and a way to ignore people by pretending I'm on the phone :p

cdnfarmer likes this.
  8. cdnfarmer
    Photography Expert Aug 4, 2018

cdnfarmer , Aug 4, 2018 :
    What does my phone replace?

Smartphones have become a focal point in our daily lives. They have changed how we do many tasks in our lives from computing, accounting, researching, entertaining, communicating, and taking pictures. Phones often simplify tasks and automate things for us. Interestingly, our smartphones probably know more about us than we realise. It could be a good tool to research social or evolution in the 21st century. Food for thought.

The main things that my OnePlus 6 has replaced are:
    1. A watch.
      • I no longer wear a watch around my wrist because the phone:
        • usually holds time pretty good. I have not experience disruption due to a satellite crashing.
        • provides a warning when the battery needs charging which may not be as obvious with a traditional wrist watch.
        • changes time to reflect day light savings time. I don't need to worry too much about it.
    2. Landline
      • There is no need for a land line. Smart phone is easy to carry around, allows me to use it in many places.
    3. Address book (Contacts).
      • It can store many more numbers and information than I can remember. And,
      • It is backed up, easy to update and readily available regardless of where I am providing that I have my phone handy.
    4. Maps
      • I no longer or very rarely need to use a paper map because finding locations, getting when directions, or receiving traffic notifications are all accessible via Google or some other app.
    5. Camera.
      • I use to carry a big DSLR with me. It has lots of great functions. However, now that i have to carry a diaper bag and supplies for the kids, the big camera is often left behind. Even though, the OP6 doesn’t have the same capacities as a DSLR, it does provide many good functions that still allow me to capture those precious life moments or scenic views. Thus for convenience, I use the phone most often.
    6. Alarm clock.
      • Now I just use the phone with convenience of setting different alarms for different days etc. This way, it is less likely to be forgotten or set off when it’s the one day to sleep in a bit.
    7. Timer.
      • Stopwatches that hung around our neck when I was young... Now, the phone is the stopwatch.
      • When teaching young people about time, it is very useful.
      • Also it is useful as a reminder for the next task or time tracking.
    8. Work / Productivity.
      • Writing documents, researching, taking notes, and communicating all can be done on this device. For the most part, I do not need a fax machine or a photocopier as the phone has made apps that allows those functions to be done.
      • The screen is clear and easy to ready. The phone has to speed to make a seamless experience.
    There are many functions that the phone does and replaces in my life. Ultimately, it is a tool that helps me communicate, find information, and capture life. I find that my phone is involved in many aspects of my life and its uses grow as time and technology progress.

9. Ray_ofLight
    Jelly Bean Sep 28, 2018