[Let's Talk] What Feature(s) Do You Consider A Gimmick?

1. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Jul 16, 2018

Baymax , Jul 16, 2018 :

Congratulations! You've stumbled upon Baymax's question forum post. Take a look at the question below and write a response and short explanation if it interests you.

What Feature(s) Do You Consider A Gimmick?

Have fun, debate with each other, and let the knowledge flow!

Mjo, johneebee, buntycubal and 19 others like this.
  2. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jul 16, 2018

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Notch.

It is being adopted as a feature by OEMs.

3. Baymax

Baymax , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Why do you say this? Just asking on the behalf of others.

4. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Jul 16, 2018

Dresa91 , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Indeed. Big notch. sliding camera. foldable display.

5. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jul 16, 2018

the notch on the OnePlus 6 is pretty much an adoption without a meaningful purpose, just like the glass back with no wireless charging.

an amoled display with a software to hide it make it a non-issue. while it increases the current obsession of maximum screen to body ratio, the company would have been better advised to value function over form, and not fall into a meaningless competition of copying a famous brand.

the Samsung flagships look much better in my opinion than OnePlus 6. if you must copy, either copy entirely or with improvisation. don't copy just for the sake of it (and do a bad job).

mateok, EmzeO, ariestotel and 8 others like this.
  6. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jul 16, 2018

I am interested in the foldable display and looking forward to how it evolves.

sliding camera - I would never put my money on it. I am of the opinion that it will be a failure. a moving part, with dust and particles getting in between and the chance of drops and bumps are sure shot recipes for failure.

7. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Jul 16, 2018 :
    It is. Once I had a slider mobile phone, and I had the issue of sand and dust at the end. it was heavy to move/slide

8. Baymax

Baymax , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Then I guess the same could be said for iPhone 4S, HTC U11-U12+, Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 in terms of glass back but no wireless charging? It was done in the past for a premium look rather to incorporate features.
    The thing is there is a reason the notch was adopted. To be able to put a bigger screen inside the device.
    No arguments here, though with AMOLED comes burn in too.
    No arguments here. Each have his/her own opinion of any device.

Good arguments here. Make for a good discussion.

9. Baymax

Baymax , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Absolutely agree here.

Cito.Melz and Dresa91 like this.
  10. Baymax

Baymax , Jul 16, 2018 :
    @Dresa91 @Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Let me throw another out there.
    AI for camera.

I personally believe this is a gimmick since any person can do the things that AI automatically changes manually within a manual/pro camera function.

Thoughts?

MentalDraco, MANYA_1999 and manuel19 like this.
  11. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Jul 16, 2018 :
    I think AI for camera is a good thing.
    For me for example :D I don't know anything about ISO, and so on. And if an algorithmn can help be getting better images, AI for camera is worth it.

12. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jul 16, 2018

after 4S, came 5, 5S, 6, 6S, 7. 5 generations without a glass back. with 8 came glass, but with wireless charging. that explains Apple devices.

OnePlus is not alone in adopting a design that has no rational explanation. except for the fact that it is more a revenue stream for the company when customers send their broken devices to them.

notch - sure it increased the STB ratio, but only on the top side causing asymmetry. that design has grown into us and many of us are indifferent, with some even liking it after an initial disappointment.

my point - don't copy just to be among the herd. function over form should be the primary moto.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018

Cito.Melz, Linxx, malidan and 2 others like this.
  13. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jul 16, 2018

AI is good until the point where we cannot do without it. that is still a long way to go as of today.

malidan and Dresa91 like this.
  14. Baymax

Baymax , Jul 16, 2018 :
    We have gone without it for years though.

Dresa91 likes this.
  15. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Jul 16, 2018

dsmonteiro , Jul 16, 2018 :
    AI is not gimmick. Calling AI to a turd and then sell it to people is. Companies simply use AI as a marketing buzzword, plain and simple.

16. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2018

theshinybeast , Jul 16, 2018 :
    And will probably have it for years to come and not actually use it that much. AI is still very much in a fledgling state right now and , as @dsmonteiro has said, is being used for nefarious marketing, data farming needs right now.
    I have had the feeling that most new features are used in a similar way by most companies these days. Hyped out of alll proportion in order to get them into the hands of users who are used as guinea pigs to test, free for the company but paid for by the user, what should have been years in development in said companies' labs. Whether these "gimmicks" actually turn into something real and useful is anyone's guess but until they are a real, useful feature they are indeed mere gimmicks.
    Examples of these gimmicks are endless dual camera setups, squeezeable phones etc.

Linxx, script, Dresa91 and 2 others like this.
  17. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2018

The1Lion , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Smartphones themselves are a gimmick! My phone doesn't do anything unless I ask it to! It's just another dependent except I can't claim it on my taxes (unless I start my own business and claim it as an expense). :rolleyes:

I actually think the higher end screens are a gimmick. I was always of the mindset that smaller screens didn't need to be so high-res because it looked fine and with the increase in resolution your eyes don't notice much if any change unless the screen was increased. Kind of like a great picture, you don't notice any blurry or blocky image unless you keep zooming in and zooming in... just what are you looking at that you need to zoom in so much? o_O:D:p

18. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jul 16, 2018

Disagree there.

Smartphones, by design, are only supposed to do what we tell them to. So that limitation has been set by the creator.

With automation, we can get a few things done without our intervention. And the fact that they try to keep us up-to-date based on our interests and requirements is what makes them smart.

AI through ML is the next stage of technological progress. Here, our voices too are used in addition to text to make life easier for us by getting things done.

The only fear is when we become extremely reliant on it for our own decision making. In the older days, people would toss a coin to choose between options. Hope we don't continue to advance that kind of decision making.

script and Dresa91 like this.
  19. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2018

theshinybeast , Jul 16, 2018 :
    giphy (56).gif
    That sounds terrifying

Bobbie63, Venky61 and Dresa91 like this.
  20. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jul 16, 2018

Euroskywalker and Dresa91 like this.