[Let's Talk] What Feature(s) Do You Consider A Gimmick?

1. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Jul 18, 2018

Baymax , Jul 18, 2018 :
    I would argue that without a chin is less symmetrical than with a chin.

And also for number 7 I sort of agree. Unused RAM is useless RAM.

The rest I really can't say anything about.

2. Nojuzz33
    Gingerbread Jul 18, 2018

Nojuzz33 , Jul 18, 2018 :
    Everyone has a different opinion I guess, I respect that. I would like that OEM's include notch only when there are no other bezels (like iPhone X). As for others, I would like to have symmetrical top and bottom bezels (like Samsung, HTC, or Sony). That would be just perfect.

3. hotsauce
    Lollipop Jul 18, 2018

hotsauce , Jul 18, 2018 :
    Without a doubt the most gimmick "mainstream" feature is a secondary camera with the same focal length. No matter what they try to tell you, better low light, better autofocus, better portrait mode, monochrome, they all could be achieve with 1 camera with superior sensor and processing.

As far as non-mainstream feature, I'd say the 3d screen from the Red Hydrogen One sounds like the most gimmicky feature of all time. Haven't people learn anything from Nintendo and TV industry? 3d is annoying and and only works in Amusement park virtual rides.

4. iNtEnSePL
    KitKat Jul 18, 2018

iNtEnSePL , Jul 18, 2018 :
    I just wanted to write exactly the same thing. The biggest gimmick of them all are stupid BIG names for simple things.

Ain't auto camera mode an AI thing? Any analysis of photo scene for brigthtness/exposure, focus or content could be called AI. But that's just SOOOO LAME.

5. iNtEnSePL
    KitKat Jul 18, 2018

... when it works well, and most often it's crap...

Baymax likes this.
  6. hotsauce
    Lollipop Jul 18, 2018

hotsauce , Jul 18, 2018 :
    Yeah I agree, Ai is not gimmicky. I have a Sony A7iii and a Canon 5D mark 4 camera, the 1 thing the Sony have over the Canon is its ability to detect people's eyes for autofocus. It's literally the best thing ever in photography.

Cito.Melz and Dresa91 like this.
  7. iNtEnSePL
    KitKat Jul 18, 2018

as long as you don't shoot landmarks only ;)

8. molanka
    Froyo Jul 18, 2018

molanka , Jul 18, 2018 :
    Notch, wireless charging, sliding camera are a gimmick.

I prefer small border like OP5T /Samsung S8-S9.
    Small border remove notch and remove sliding camera.

Loose 1cm at total of phone for having normal screen ratio is very good. it's uggly when the screen is not equilibrium.

Wireless charging is useless because fast charge is really better. why charging slower ? wireless charging make the phone hot > battery hot > reduce lifetime.

Cito.Melz likes this.
  9. Scott_Love93
    Eclair Jul 18, 2018

Scott_Love93 , Jul 18, 2018 :
    don't mind the notch at ALL. in fact I love the extra screen estate it gives. what I find a gimmick is camera's popping out from the phone ! please oneplus don't make your next phone with any crazy camera lense flaring out, totally unnecessary.

Cito.Melz likes this.
  10. O1509245712546
    Donut Jul 18, 2018

11. malidan
    Nougat Jul 18, 2018

malidan , Jul 18, 2018 :
    Secondary cameras:
    Telephoto useful
    Wide angle useful
    Monochrome Useful
    Depth sensor without any other tangible usage, gimmick.

Betamixz, Baymax, marlox and 2 others like this.
  12. the_o2
    User of the Year 2018 Jul 18, 2018

the_o2 , Jul 18, 2018 :
    Just put all smartphone those have these camera lens in front of Google PIxel 2 and tell me whose outcome is better.
    And I don't know many people use Black &. White pics and 4x zoomed images...

13. the_o2

the_o2 , Jul 18, 2018 :
    Btw already explained it here :D

Dresa91 likes this.
  14. malidan
    Nougat Jul 18, 2018

malidan , Jul 18, 2018 :
    Because it's easy to just drop your device on it and add a bit if charge.
    I've been using wireless since the Nexus 6 and it's superb.I have one in the living room, kitchen and bedroom with the leads hidden and only the pad on show. So in the 3 areas i spend the most of my time I can can charge my device without having to sort out leads and charging bricks.
    It only takes an extra 20 -25 mins to fully charge which I never do most of the time, it's such a useful gimmick that my good lady and kids want wireless in their next devices.
    If or when OP decide to fit it I'm sure you won't be saying it's a gimmick.;)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018

15. malidan
    Nougat Jul 18, 2018

malidan , Jul 18, 2018 :
    The Pixel is hyped and programmed into everyone by reviewers it's the best. They have very carefully constructed comparisons( like OP's blind tests) and then add their brainwashing commmetary making you focus on what they want to you see.
    I always watch them muted first and then again with volume and the thought that comes to mind is WTF.

I've seen plenty of Pixel 2 portraits taken by a friend and it pretty much 50/50 Good to bad, with unnatural backgrounds. Lowlight pictures still have a load of noise in them, the type that everyone was moaning about on the OP's.
    There are several reviwers who now go against the grain and will tell you the P20 Pro is the best still camera.
    I can show you 2 detailed reviews by a Pro, where the Pixel has been slaughtered by the P20 pro and the Mate 10 Pro.
    That's why everyone one is now saying AI is a gimmick, they didn't when the Mate 10 Pro first arrived they loved it.;)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018

16. Salt505
    Jelly Bean Jul 18, 2018

Salt505 , Jul 18, 2018 :
    I feel like companies have put way too much time, money, and effort into portrait mode. I mean, how often do people actually use it? Most of the time what companies offer is pretty lackluster anyways.

Baymax likes this.
  17. the_o2

the_o2 , Jul 18, 2018 :
    I clicked the pics on Pixel 2XL and S9+ and Note 8.
    Pixels image are better for my liking.
    Never believe any Blind test review especially MKBHD that guy do fake things for sure..
    I seen his OP2 review :confused::confused:

That's exactly my point, every phone does the same thing in portrait mode then why need of secondary camera.
    I never used any Huawei phone so I can't say anything about it.
    My point is only that if they can't seriously utilized the secondary camera then why they putting it specially in low budget to upper mid range phone including OnePlus.
    That's why they are just a gimmicks :):rolleyes:

18. malidan
    Nougat Jul 18, 2018

malidan , Jul 18, 2018 :
    They haven't done a better using 1 camera.
    Nothing can touch the P20 pro in lowlight, not even the S9. The Pixel ain't in their league.

They don't have the best video camera, that is the S9 or IPX. Their footage looks robotic and heavily cropped, it's also a mess when you pan.

I wouldn't say they have the best portrait, as everything you see on YouTube is heavily cropped as not to show the errors.
    Monochrome pics belong to Hauwei/ Honor adding a filter don't cut it.

A more accurate statement would be they have done well with 1 camera, but the limitations are there to be seen.

19. GrimmReapa
    Eclair Jul 18, 2018

GrimmReapa , Jul 18, 2018 :
    Dual cameras for portrait photos or low light enhancement... A better use for the secondary camera would be wide angle

Linxx and Baymax like this.
  20. malidan
    Nougat Jul 18, 2018

malidan , Jul 18, 2018 :
    LG have always fully utilised its secondary camera by using wide angle for standalone panoramic shots, Asus has now adopted LG's setup.
    Huawei too have always fully utilised there secondary camera, giving depth effect long before the others, highly detailed pictures and stand alone Monochrome photography. Everybody else yes you are correct.
    Not enough credit has been given to them for what they have been doing with dual camera's for 3 generations, most reviwers have just skipped what they provided above and beyond other oems to manufacture wins in their comparisons.

Linxx and the_o2 like this.