[Let's Talk] What Feature(s) Do You Consider A Gimmick?

1. Drewbikscube
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Jul 18, 2018

Drewbikscube , Jul 18, 2018 :
    There are certainly many features I find to be more of a gimmick, than something I absolutely need / require in a mobile device. I swap devices often and I could go on and on and on about how Samsung, Apple, and many other device manufactures tend to cram useless, dumb, bloated, and gimmicky things into both hardware and software. However, we're in a OnePlus forum so what gimmicky things does OnePlus tend to deliver us ?

• Face Unlock - To me this was purely a jab at the rest of the mobile market to say, "hey look, we can do face unlock too...". However, it's purely a gimmick. I, like many others, will agree it's definitely the fastest face unlocking on any device to date. However, most will also agree that's it's absolutely not secure. I personally have tested unlocking my OnePlus 6 with photos of myself, even using family portraits displayed throughout my home, and I was able to successfully 'trick' the face unlocking tech to open the device. Security shouldn't be a gimmick...Luckily OnePlus still offers the fingerprint reader.

• Dual Camera - Dual cameras to me are just another gimmick. Specifically I believe this is more of a marketing gimmick. Many devices have moved to the dual camera setup and they all seem to state they have the best images now that they have dual lenses. Of course OnePlus is no different in doing this. OnePlus even tagged the OnePlus 5 specifically marketing the dual camera setup. However, it's proven that this doesn't guarantee better/clearer photos. In some cases, I believe this hinders a photo greatly. I'd rather have a single, good, lens with awesome image processing software, much like we see in the Pixel devices.

Kambanka and Baymax like this.
  2. Gcoop1plus
    Donut Jul 18, 2018

Gcoop1plus , Jul 18, 2018 :
    The notch. Personally, I'm no fan or hater of it, it is what it is. However, if you're gonna add the notch, get rid of that bottom chin. That chin being there defeats the point of why the notch was adopted to begin with. I get that removing the chin like what Apple did with the iPhone X is a difficult process (currently at least) and would increase the cost of the phone, but if you're gonna go down that route then do it properly. Spend the extra penny. Do a good enough job and people will be willing to pay the extra penny in return. I'd rather have a phone with no notch than a phone with a notch and an awkward bottom chin.

The other gimmick being the glass back. I don't get why the metal back was replaced, especially when the phone doesn't include wireless charging. Again, I could care less about the wireless charging, I want a phone that won't shatter if dropped on either side. That tiny bit of extra weight and the supposedly premium feel of glass isn't worth risking a drop that would create a web and make a spider proud. If this phone was made with spiders in mind and who frequently drop their phone then by all means keep the glass back on future phones, but I and many others here are not spiders and would rather have a durable metal back over a glass back that serves no meaningful purpose other than for looks.

Akhshay Srinivasan likes this.
  3. kanaancollins
    Froyo Jul 19, 2018

kanaancollins , Jul 19, 2018 :
    wireless charging. it serves no real benefit and most people who have a phone that supports it slap a case on it and just use the cable. I see no reason for money to go into the implementation of wireless charging

Cito.Melz likes this.
  4. kanaancollins
    Froyo Jul 19, 2018

kanaancollins , Jul 19, 2018 :
    actually given how Android handles ram it's good to have a large amount of unused ram

Cito.Melz likes this.
  5. IsaacHung
    Honeycomb Jul 19, 2018

6. SatriaPr
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 19, 2018

SatriaPr , Jul 19, 2018 :
    Dual or even triple back camera, 2.5D screen, Google assistant (now tap is better), dual tone flashlight, notch, flex screen (as of now it has no use whatsoever)

Baymax likes this.
  7. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Jul 19, 2018

Baymax , Jul 19, 2018 :
    Now On Tap is gone. Assistant has taken the place of it.
    Can you explain how this one is a gimmick?

8. SatriaPr
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 19, 2018

SatriaPr , Jul 19, 2018 :
    1531999785543.jpg
    At least not in my phone, for the dual tone flash I've seen some pics are better without it, I just don't see the captured pics as natural or maybe it's just me..
    I may need to try another dual tone smartphone

9. heartless28
    Gingerbread Jul 19, 2018

heartless28 , Jul 19, 2018 :
    Let me say it like this.

some maybe gimmik to you but usefull to someone.

So there is no wrong answer to this post. [e]1f609[/e]

Baymax likes this.
  10. Kambanka
    Froyo Jul 19, 2018

Kambanka , Jul 19, 2018 :
    Second/third camera used for nothing more than "depth" - a.k.a. "portrait" mode - where two pictures are taken then one of them is smashed as a halo to fake blur/bokeh. Given that at the end it is software that stitches the two photos, separate camera only for getting a blurred background is atrocious. A different zoom lens is unspeakably more useful.

4K displays. That many pixels on a phone serve nothing but marketing and kill battery.

Animojies...

Camera megapixels in the context of smartphone tiny sensors. Instead of sensible pixel count in bigger sensors, we get more pixels. I realize that to "light" up bigger sensor, one needs fat optics, but I would live with a protruding camera module anytime.

Software image stabilization. No, Sony, it is not the same as optical and your marketing team does amazing job in hiding the truth about it.

AI most of the times, especially in camera, where the sole effect is to fake colour reproduction.

Boosted colour saturation for displays and camera just to make them look "wow".

Shiny glass backs. They ask for scratches and force you to hide the phone in a case (I don't, though). And, oh, the FINGERPRINTS all over the glass...

Marketing fast charge on a battery which is severely lower in capacity in regards to phone CPU/screen size. "Look here - you can charge the battery in half an hour so that it lasts the other half of the day". More like "you will need to".

Curved displays. Oh, boy, that glare everywhere!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018

Baymax likes this.
  11. strafer
    Lollipop Jul 19, 2018

strafer , Jul 19, 2018 :
    Bokeh.
    For years and years the camera which made the sharpest photos was the best. Suddenly the camera with best blur is the best. Best joke ever.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018

Cito.Melz, Baymax and Linxx like this.
  12. G_Farhan_b_Abdulkareem_N
    Eclair Jul 19, 2018

G_Farhan_b_Abdulkareem_N , Jul 19, 2018 :
    I like to nominate the secondary camera on the back of the OP5T as one. It is not a Telephoto camera as in OP5, just another 16 MP cam that I could never really understand. Of course the notch, the glass back without wireless charging. The Edge display on Samsung devices was frankly ugly by all respects.It was just easier for people to break. Let's not forget the overlays that Samsung, Mi devices have. The icons looks bad and was a pain with that UI.

13. KeepTransisting
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jul 19, 2018

KeepTransisting , Jul 19, 2018 :
    I used to think that the home-back-recents replacement gestures would be a gimmick, but now I honestly can't live without them.

The biggest gimmick to me is the beautification filter on the camera. Make people look like what they really are! :p

I know a girl on social media who cranks that thing up to max. For the longest time I thought she was just a naturally blurry person: :D

Cito.Melz likes this.
  14. Linxx
    Froyo Jul 19, 2018

Linxx , Jul 19, 2018 :
    Bokeh - gimmick!
    Dual cameras having no distinct practical differences - gimmick!
    Glass back without wireless charging that shatters very easily if accidentally dropped from +/-2ft on to a hardwood floor- gimmick!
    Glass back made to look like metal back - gimmick!
    Bokeh - gimmick!

15. Jaxseven
    Donut Jul 19, 2018

Jaxseven , Jul 19, 2018 :
    Duel cameras for portrait mode. at best it's a neat feature you'll forget about a month later, at worst it's an added expense and makes the back of the phone look ugly. If you do duel cameras, I think the secondary shooter should be a wide angle.

16. Baymax

Baymax , Jul 19, 2018 :
    Google Assistant does the same.

Yeah. The thing about dual-tone is it helps to get true to life photos.

17. elanglois
    Lollipop Jul 19, 2018

elanglois , Jul 19, 2018 :
    Yes, glass makes it easier to get the inductive charging field through the metal back of a phone, but it's not the ONLY electromagnetic signal your phone uses. Bluetooth, WiFi and LTE signals are important as well. In the case of the OP6, the new gigabit LTE needs 4 cellular antennas in a MIMO (multiple IN, multiple OUT) array. Getting all that through the back of aluminum would be really hard and expensive to engineer. Going with glass was the simpler option. It wasn't just for the "premium look".

Cito.Melz, Linxx and Baymax like this.
  18. Baymax

Baymax , Jul 19, 2018 :
    20mp just for depth effect. Not 16mp.
    You join quite a few others here with this one.

19. Baymax

Baymax , Jul 19, 2018 :
    Exactly! Yes!
    Most just don't realize that OnePlus gave it a glass back for the geeky components under the hood rather than to just make it breakable.

Cito.Melz and elanglois like this.
  20. elanglois
    Lollipop Jul 19, 2018

elanglois , Jul 19, 2018 :
    Oneplus doesn't, and never has, used both cameras for clarity or "better" photos. There are a handful of devices that use a monochrome image sensor to fine tune light levels while using the color image sensor for color. Oneplus has always used the cameras separately, except for portrait mode where the second camera is just for figuring distances. A second camera can't "hinder" the photo since its not even used. However, you can make a case that a single LARGER image sensor could be used if the second camera were removed. In that case, I agree, that would be a better solution, but only if they don't half-*** it and actually use HUGE pixels. The OP6 was a step in the right direction, but competitors still use larger sensors.

Cito.Melz and Baymax like this.