[Let's Talk] What Feature(s) Do You Consider A Gimmick?

1. Cito.Melz
    Honeycomb Jul 20, 2018

Cito.Melz , Jul 20, 2018 :
    yeah I agree.. until wireless charging is actually as fast as charging with cables, then I find it to be gimmicky.. cause the difference between inserting a charging cable into your phone vs. placing your phone over a dock is just not enough to go crazy about it if the charging speeds doesn't justify it.

The reason it sells now and people go crazy over it is because it is cool to just place your phone somewhere knowing it's automatically charging but these people are also ready to just buy what's new out there. They don't give it much thought and maybe their bank backs it lol. But for the lower to middle class working person, wireless charging is just not there yet.

& I'm glad OnePlus hasn't fallen into that one. & if their reasons are similar to mine, even better.

Linxx likes this.
  2. Cito.Melz
    Honeycomb Jul 20, 2018

I say the reasoning for justifying your number 7 applies to your number 6, where it's nice to have. I believe the face unlock was a selling point for the 5t but it really worked cause of its speed. So its pretty cool to have even if it isn't as secure as Apple's for other uses.

Therefore, I don't see it as gimmicky. It's one of the features that's most used everytime we use our phone.

Linxx likes this.
  3. Cito.Melz
    Honeycomb Jul 20, 2018

malidan

Because it's easy to just drop your device on it and add a bit if charge.
    I've been using wireless since the Nexus 6 and it's superb.I have one in the living room, kitchen and bedroom with the leads hidden and only the pad on show. So in the 3 areas i spend the most of my time I can can charge my device without having to sort out leads and charging bricks.
    It only takes an extra 20 -25 mins to fully charge which I never do most of the time, it's such a useful gimmick that my good lady and kids want wireless in their next devices.
    If or when OP decide to fit it I'm sure you won't be saying it's a gimmick.​

I'm hoping when OP does decide to adapt wireless charging it'll also be the fastest at charging wirelessly. Only then will there no longer be a debate of whether it's a gimmick or not. Speed speaks louder than "a little more comfort".

4. Cito.Melz
    Honeycomb Jul 20, 2018

that's life in every category and topic.

Baymax likes this.
  5. Cito.Melz
    Honeycomb Jul 20, 2018

EXACTLY

Baymax likes this.
  6. TheSpoken
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 20, 2018

TheSpoken , Jul 20, 2018 :
    The first thing I'll do is define the term "gimmick". You may know what the term is, but it's always better to state the exact definition of the term that's being applied. The context here relates to a product, so I'll use the definition that best suits to that.
    -a trick or device used to attract business or attention (Mariam Webster)

Huge displays are a gimmick. A phone shouldn't be gigantic, that's what a tablet or laptop is for. The bigger the display the bigger the body. While a phone shouldn't be 3 inches with a tiny display it seems that people are into more screen, even though it isn't very practical for your pocket. Despite the bezeless trend phones themselves don't shrink, rather businesses market the phone with an EVEN bigger display with the same large body. Insult to injury some brands put more ram in a huge phone, which sucks for power users who'd like a smaller phone.

The power of a processor is another gimmick, especially in the sense of the casual user. Cheaper phones may have less powerful processors but the trade off comes with better battery life. Personally I'd like the most buff chip, however in the eyes of a casual phone user a lower end phone may be better. The numbers like an 845 chip over an 820 may seem cool to the consumer who's upgrading, however that consumer may not need a chip that powerful, and would get larger battery benefits with a mid range phone.

I don't see any practical use for a notch, and the little cutout to get more screen seems to be more of a trade off than an actual upgrade from a non cut display. If you'd like to use the whole display, it's not useful beyond having something cut out. Yes you can hide the notch, however it doesn't add any useful functionality. To me it's just a marketing trick to say "hey I'm much cheaper than the iphone x and I got a notch too!".

Wireless charging is another, but I don't personally see it as a huge purchasing decision for someone (thus why it's not flaunted or used much). Once speeds improve, I'm all for it but for now I just see it as a trade off (slower charging for a tiny bit of convenience and coolness).

I'd call dual cameras or triple cameras a gimmick, but this is in the sense of portrait mode. A single camera with processing can do just as well as a dual camera that has a second camera with portrait mode. Over 2 decent cameras one super good one will always be better to me. Consumers may be entranced with having more camera sensors on their phone but it shouldn't be exchanged for a better quality single lens. Too many factors at play so I'd be in the middle ground for this being a gimmick.

That's it. It's all subjective but for me these 5 "features" are gimmicks.

Baymax likes this.
  7. Cito.Melz
    Honeycomb Jul 20, 2018

Baymax

Exactly! Yes!
    Most just don't realize that OnePlus gave it a glass back for the geeky components under the hood rather than to just make it breakable.​

Some of these things should be made more obvious for users.. cause it's frustrating to hear the baseless rants .. not only that, I think it's good to know what and why you have what you have in your hands. Especially in our OnePlus community.

Baymax likes this.
  8. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Jul 20, 2018

Baymax , Jul 20, 2018 :
    I think that wireless charging has a long way to go before it is considered useful.
    As seen here... Testing my Mi Mix 2S on a QI wireless charging pad.
    [​IMG]

Cito.Melz likes this.
  9. Cito.Melz
    Honeycomb Jul 20, 2018

I totally agree

Baymax likes this.
  10. Baymax

Baymax , Jul 20, 2018 :
    Though it does allow the front facing camera to stay at the top of the device where it belongs. Rather than on the bottom chin forcing you to flip the device upside down to take a photo, and keeping moving parts away by keeping the front facing camera at the top without having to add in a sliding camera.

Cito.Melz likes this.
  11. Baymax

Baymax , Jul 20, 2018 :
    Though if you look at my gif above you will see that it isn't really that convenient either. The device has to be perfectly aligned in order to work.

Cito.Melz likes this.
  12. SatriaPr

SatriaPr , Jul 20, 2018 :
    Tho In Google assistant we can't do the ocr scan to quickly translate a whole single page, and copy every scanned text as we like

13. TheSpoken

TheSpoken , Jul 20, 2018 :
    I'm just saying that the whole concept of the notch is a gimmick, there aren't any real benefits unless you have a real excuse like Apple with it's 3d face unlock (with the tradeoffs the gimmick gives it's just a marketing tool to attract buyers). I like how it is with just the 5t or s9 for instance. But I see your point with the whole real estate scenario, you'll get the weird placement of the selfie camera. I like the vivo apex solution, since I don't use selfie cameras much and it allows more privacy (the government can't watch you!) it allows more display without sacrificing placement.

True. The device that Apple is working on (placing 3 devices over a huge wireless pad) seems like the best solution to this issue, but Apple is having trouble with power distribution with the higher voltage requirements of the pad.

Baymax likes this.
  14. Baymax

Baymax , Jul 20, 2018 :
    Sure you can.
    Google incorporated this into assistant via the "what's on my screen" feature.

15. Baymax

Baymax , Jul 20, 2018 :
    This would probably be a game changer if Apple irons everything out. But right now wireless charging is simply a gimmick.

Cito.Melz likes this.
  16. SatriaPr

Nope, still different assistant can't do this

1532046586880.jpg

1532046631048.jpg

17. Baymax

18. SatriaPr

Well you can try later and see for yourself that assistant is less helping and less convenient.

19. Baymax

Baymax , Jul 20, 2018 :
    It works fine for me. Interesting.

20. Kambanka
    Froyo Jul 20, 2018

Kambanka , Jul 20, 2018 :
    Totally agree that a good single lense is better than two.

But lens with different view angles are not the same as a cropped image by one wide view sensor. Imagine you want a wide lens and decide to use it to crop images out of it. You have two issues:
    - loss of resolution. You are discarding 1/4 or more of the image. Thus an optimal sensor of 12 MPix drops to 9.
    - parallax and distortions. Any wide zoom lens introduce distortions. Yes, it is fixable in software, but drops the quality. So, taking a picture in wide lens and cutting a portion of it could make some perfectly straight building to look like the pyramids

So, valid reasons for two lenses for me are:
    - additional wide lens for better quality
    - some use for getting the best out of the first sensor - not sure how applicable this is and not another marketing trick, though

Baymax and the_o2 like this.