[Let's Talk] What Feature(s) Do You Consider A Gimmick?

1. Drewbikscube
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Jul 20, 2018

Drewbikscube , Jul 20, 2018 :
    Correct, OnePlus doesn't physically use both cameras to accomplish this but they were surely quick to market it as such. The tag line for the OnePlus 5 specifically was "Dual Camera. Clearer Photos". As you mentioned, I completely agree a larger image sensor is a better solution, as long as the right image processing software is implemented along side it.

2. Punk_69
    Lollipop Jul 22, 2018

Baymax likes this.
  3. BobbyV8_
    The Showcase Reviewer Jul 23, 2018

BobbyV8_ , Jul 23, 2018 :
    All the features OEMs market as USP are indeed gimmick.

This doesn't make sense unless you start thinking what that feature is used for and how is it going to be beneficial over others. When you start thinking about it's usage and understand how useful it is, marketing strategies of OEMs will eventually be unfolded to reveal the gimmick.

Let us say,
    AI - What is AI! A bot controlling our deeds is cutely called AI.
    Now, is the bot really intelligent than you are? Absolutely no. That bot is infact designed by us to make things little easier and it doesn't really have the capability of a human brain. So you're taking into hands a water gun keeping aside your assault rifle.

Face Unlock - What! why would my device unlock when I see it!?
    Well let's say you're drunk and your friends wanted to know those little secrets you've been hiding from them for long time. they just show you to your mobile and voila it's all open.
    On a serious note, you unexpectedly look at your device while at work and continue working. But what did you just do? Unlocked your device for no reason.

Notch - It's really getting cute day by day.
    Time for conviction, is the notch really cute? Nah it's just because it's something that Apple Inc said they 'Invented' and we need it. Are you really gaining from those few millimetres on either side of the notch?

Dual / Triple camera - Man! you got two eyes, so why not your mobile!
    How many can realise that the additional module isn't really working all the time? The pixel family out performs the twin eyes with just one module. End of the day, it all bakes down to the algo.

Camera filters - What is the camera really needed for?
    While the initial purpose of a camera was to capture memories, these gimmicks turned the whole purpose into beautifying us. How we look is now decided by those filters and effects. God I wish some OEM innovates a way to apply filters on human nature and everyone really thinks good just like the filters make them beautiful
    At the end YOU ARE FAKE with those filters on.

Speaking on, there will come a lot more like Huge RAM, battery capacities, curved screens, foldable devices, bezel less displays, wireless charging and a lot more.

4. Akhshay Srinivasan
    Nougat Jul 23, 2018

Akhshay Srinivasan , Jul 23, 2018 :
    Any feature which prompts us to buy without a second thought is a gimmick.

Hence, both are responsible for playing the ball game xD

Baymax likes this.
  5. Scott_Love93
    Eclair Jul 28, 2018

Scott_Love93 , Jul 28, 2018 :
    for the LOVE OF GOD OnePlus. please do NOT put a pop up camera on the next Device. please...

6. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Aug 1, 2018

luigimario , Aug 1, 2018 :
    I'm going to copy what a lot of others said, because there are only so many gimmicky features you can mention.

- in glass fingerprint scanner, but only until it is as effective as a proper sensor. Right now I think it's cool but not developed enough to be super convenient. it might be tough to use after using a really responsive hardware FP sensor.
    - sliding camera for sure. while the idea is good and the benefit is too, I feel like it will break down a lot faster than they say it will.
    - whatever happened to the ceramic vibration earpiece (xiaomi)? I guess that didn't catch on, though I thought it was a good idea to increase screen real estate.
    - folding display, when would you really need to fold your phone? A little flex to prevent accidentable bend breakage is good though.
    - computer docking like the Dex. since it isn't as good as a real desktop, I don't see the point. I got the impression that people were frustrated with it.
    - wireless charging: it's nice not to plug in, but your phone can't leave the charger, it charges slower, and it's harder to use your phone while charging than if you charge with a cable.
    - huge RAM capacity: you don't really need more than 4gb at the moment and have a ton extra for "future proofing" doesn't make sense since people tend to upgrade in 1-3 years anyway and you lose support for the phone after a couple years.
    - huge storage capacity. useful for some people maybe, but the majority of people don't need 256gb or 512gb. only a gimmick IMO.
    - 4K screens are a gimmick IMO. It's such a small screen relative to a TV so I don't think it's really worth the extra cost for such a small screen. I haven't compared but I doubt the extra definition is all that noticeable.

Venky61 and Baymax like this.
  7. johneebee
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Aug 3, 2018

johneebee , Aug 3, 2018 :
    I feel like I would just be copying allot from what has already been said if I would just name the features I consider as being a gimmick, so let me just say this:

I do agree with you all that features that aren’t implemented well do definitely feel like just being a gimmick. I’m thinking for example about that often mentioned easy to fool face unlock. But this same feature can be seen as really handy if it would be properly mentioned that it’s easy to bypass with a picture and shouldn’t be used as a security option to lock your phone at all. I for example used to lock my oneplus one with just a pattern key. Why? Because sometimes when I was biking, I used to text random people random stuff and send people pictures just because the phone was rubbing against my legs getting me in some pretty awkward situations. :p So the only reason I put that pattern key there is so I wouldn’t accidently send people stuff anymore. But I would miss being able to directly pick up my phone and double tap the screen and being ready to go. For such a situation where the unlocking feature isn’t meant for security, this face unlock would have been the right one for the job especially since the oneplus one didn’t come with a fingerprint sensor.

What I’m trying to say is that features like face unlock, AI, the notch and so on probably do have a function for some people especially to some degree, so calling them a gimmick does sound a bit harsh to me, but I do agree that some of them could definitely be implemented way better.

I wouldn’t mind a company giving me “all“ the features if that doesn’t change the price. Having the option for example to wirelessly charge my phone while I’m at a buddies house who happens to have a charging pad, would be sweet(although at my own place I would never see a reason not to use faster charging dash charge). But I do agree that if it’s features like these who are the cause of phones getting pricier every single year while not being implemented that well then I rather have a cheaper phone who does a few things but really good!

Venky61 likes this.
  8. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Aug 4, 2018

Venky61 , Aug 4, 2018 :
    In my opinion, no feature is a gimmick, they are just half cooked products at present and they stop being gimmick in a while. For example, finger print scanner. Back in 2013 it was introduced by Apple and later mid range devices started implementing them in 2014 with terrible accuracy just to attract customers. But now its not considered as gimmick, moreover it has become a minimum necessity for the phone. So sometimes such gimmicky marketing campaigns actually help to let the technological impact reach the masses. Some fail and some win the hearts.

The features that I consider half cooked but attract consumers to buy without thinking much are,

AI - Artificial intelligence at present is used and projected for wrong reasons. AI is really of little help to photography of the camera processing is good at first place. So to prove the point of improved camera, the OEMs have started coming up with AI camera to make people believe that the output image would be much better now with the same camera sensor. If you see them closely, they are saturated HDR pictures. Google has been producing them without AI tag. I would rather love to see AI for learning our usage and give curated feed, fav apps, fav contacts, alarm pattern, DND etc.

Modular Design- I was so excited with LG5 and Moto Mods. With so much focus on modularity they loose the main point; basic phone performance. The Moto Z series have great mods for the battery, speaker and camera. But they made the phone to be of little value without mods. Without the battery mod the phones can't even make through the day. Now they have come up with 5G Mod :rolleyes:. I am really looking forward for a much more practical and affordable design line up. As a Desktop guy am always game for Modular Design. :D

Quad Camera- Technology and image processing has definitely reached a level to produce a decent portrait with single camera. But people are still behind the dual camera craze. To take it to a next level there's the quad camera. Mid range phones started using them as marketing strategy. Why settle with three cameras when you can have 4. But why? When they produce the same image quality as a post processing software. Instead I would love to see the extra cameras put to better use by either wide angle or loss less zoom.

More Ram- This is really an overkill. Majority of users would be happy even with 4GB ram if managed well, but the OEMs are creating a hype around it. Why don't they provide more storage for the same price. I would any day go for 4GB/256GB than 8GB/128GB.

18:9 Aspect Ratio/Bezel Less - Don't mind me, I am not against the full screen displays. But at this moment they aren't matured. I see a lot of user buy them without knowing the limitations and start complaining about video not being full screen or it being cropped. And the glory Notch is just an icing on the top.

And the final gimmick (not a feature exactly) is the speed test trend on youtube. The speed tests should give a quantitative analysis with factors such as price, frequency of usage of particular app and number of apps opened at one time. Rather they give a qualitative value and the viewers come to a conclusion that the said phone is either faster or slower without considering their pattern of usage. 95% of the users won't be going through the situations showed in the videos.

Final Verdict: Gimmicky or not, I love new features coming into the market. Its in the hands of consumers to analyze well about which feature is actually useful to them and not totally depend on the says of a Youtuber or Company Marketing Ad.
    PS: My present fav gimmicky feature is Pop Up camera. Reminds me of slide QWERTY keypad but with a motor. I so love them :)

Baymax and johneebee like this.