[Let's Talk] What is it like being a OnePlus fan in your country?

1. Ruby G.
    NA Community Manager Staff Member Mar 19, 2018

Ruby G. , Mar 19, 2018 :
    Congratulations! You've stumbled upon one of our stickied question forum posts. Take a look at the question below and write a response if it interests you. Feel free to post your response on this thread or start a new thread if your response is over 500 words (be sure to copy & paste the question into a new thread and tag me so I notice).

What is it like being a OnePlus fan in your country?

Posts of 300 – 1000 words will be automatically entered in to our ongoing rewards program and potentially be chosen to move to the next level. Have fun, debate with each other, and let the knowledge flow!

2. Ruby G.
    NA Community Manager Staff Member Mar 19, 2018

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018

3. NeVeR_SeTTLe
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Mar 19, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe , Mar 19, 2018 :
    Here in Poland, people recognized the OnePlus brand starting with the OnePlus One. The “hype” actually caught on quick. I remember back in the OnePlus One days, I was given an invitation to buy the phone and I did. I loved the look and feel of the OnePlus One. Great build, superb camera quality (which I think the quality is still amazing even in the year 2018), awesome flagship specs, uniqueness which most people expected for a phone. A phone that changed the mobile industry.

Getting back to the “good ol’” days, I remember how I came to work with my new OnePlus One (bamboo styleswap cover) and within minutes people started to notice that I no longer had a HTC Sensation but a phone that they didn’t recognize before. They started to ask me questions like “What is the brand of the phone?” “Is it a Samsung?” “What specs does it have?” Other questions of similar nature. I answered them that the phone is from OnePlus. OnePlus who?! OnePlus… I repeated. They never heard of the brand. So I explained to them how they came to be, what the phone was like with a couple of days using it, what are my thoughts about them.

Within a month, my four friends received an invite and they bought for themselves a OnePlus One phone. By word of mouth, OnePlus developed in popularity. To this day, in Poland almost everyone has heard of OnePlus. Now people are talking about OnePlus as a big player in the mobile industry. OnePlus devices are affordable (slowly the prices are rising so that is still in question) but as of now, they are still way below others in pricing.

I like OnePlus for who they are – where they started, how they developed, what they learned from their mistakes and I am watching every step you make OnePlus. Keeping an eye on you ;)

Being in the “OnePlus family” and with great “friends from the community” (shoutout to @Cheetosdust @idkwhoiam322 @BobbyVK @rusty264 @Mjo @Android450 @Mr. BG @Punk_69 @BeingIncog @SJBoss @Shadow0929 @GopalB. @MentalDraco @meatandy @ghostofcain @Hydra Bob @keithnyc @SoniaB @The1Lion @enzodolan @Nick 59 @izzykasha @Lancelot_69 @Dresa91 @zepphead and others I forgot to mention) I can say thanks OnePlus for giving me a wonderful journey from the OnePlus One to the OnePlus 3T and for future devices. Thanks for all your hard work.

@Ruby G. tagged ;)

ChrisFR06, ChrisTerp, Mr. BG and 35 others like this.
  4. isetnt
    Froyo Mar 19, 2018

isetnt , Mar 19, 2018 :
    being a one plus fan in my country is rare. I have seen 4 people use a oneplus device and one of them being my dad and one of them just having a oneplus phone and not actually being a fan. I live in Sweden Stockholm. I mostly get comments about my 5T looking line an iPhone but better.

But it's also fun to be able to say that you have a 1+ and see how impressed people are when you tell them the price. People are also surprised when I tell them that the co founder lived in Sweden and that oneplus is a Chinese smartphone company that put out such amazing devices.

//Isak

5. choby
    Froyo Mar 19, 2018

choby , Mar 19, 2018 :
    I live in Italy (Milan), here there are many people in forum and blog who talk about the OnePlus and the mobile phone they create. Most opinion are positive about good price for the general performance, battery and better update service respect other brands.
    But there are many people (also my friends) doesn't know who and what OnePlus is or what create.
    So many time i tell they what an incredible smartphone they create, and how much good are the performance for the price compared to the other top gamma smartphone from other brands.
    For me the problem is the poor advertising on TV, Radio and Posters around the streets wich doesn't allows to make known how great are OnePlus in my Country.
    Personally (yes i'm a little geek inside) I follow OnePlus from their first OnePlus One, an incredible terminal wich at the right price give the best performance. At that time don't buy it because I already had a Smartphone, but many friends and coworkers come to me to have an advice to buy a new smartphone....and i directly response to find an invitation code and go to buy a OnePlus One (fortunately OnePlus after OnePlus Two remove the invitation code, because many friends had the problem of finding).
    Now I'm an happy 5T user, and around me i see a few new OnePlus user since 2014, and just with a look we recognize each other and give each other a smile like as if to say ''yes....it was a good choice''.

ChrisFR06, Dresa91, Ruby G. and 4 others like this.
  6. Shivang Joshi
    Starting Point Expert Mar 19, 2018

Shivang Joshi , Mar 19, 2018 :
    I have been following OnePlus since the time they have launched their first device. I wanted to have the OnePlus One, but didn’t needed a new device at that moment. Next launch of OnePlus 2 was highly awaited by me but was unable to get an invite at that moment to get it and had to settle for another device. But, finally after using that device for 1.5 years, I thought it was time for an upgrade, and the launch of OnePlus 5 was close. This time, I knew that I didn’t have to wait for an invite code and would be able to get that ASAP. So, when it launched in my country, India and within the first 2 minutes of it going on sale, I had placed my order.

So now, at the beginning of my college, I had my OnePlus 5, and it felt awesome. Since then, I have been buying quite a lot of accessories from OnePlus. So, all my close friends look at me as a Fanboy and I don’t mind that. Also, I have been noticing much more OnePlus devices in my country lately, and that feels awesome.

I have worn a OnePlus Dash Charge T-shirt in public quite a lot of times, and people look at me as if I am wearing something different, and that feels great. Since about last 3 months, I have been using the OnePlus Travel Backpack (Space Black) and people ask me whether it came to me with my OnePlus 5 and I always tell them that they need to purchase it separately.

There are two different types of people looking at me, being a fanboy. The first type sees me as a crazy, blind fanboy of OnePlus. But I know that it’s not only the company I am following, but it’s their ideas and the people behind those ideas, especially the community. The second ones are completely unknown about the company, and if they ask me, I try to make them understand and give more information about the company, and they enjoy knowing more about the company and the ideas. So, they don’t think of me as a foolish, crazy and blind fanboy.

Having said this here, I do like the ideas of the company. Not all, but quite a few of them. And the best part of owning my first OnePlus Device, the OnePlus 5, is this amazing community. I started interacting much more with the community since I bought the device, and I haven’t stopped since then.

Thanks again to this community for giving us an opportunity like this.

@Ruby G. Tagged.

P.S: Yes, this took me quite a bit to write it down.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018

7. Punk_69
    Lollipop Mar 19, 2018

Punk_69 , Mar 19, 2018 :
    Well I'm from India, so yes being a OnePlus fan"boy" is common here (which I'm not).
    Well i love oneplus, and all of its devices.
    One of the best things which happened was the launch of the OnePlus One.... It's specs and it's performance was mesmerizing back then, and it "smashed" the competition (literally , about that smash your phone thing)
    Well back then i was using the Samsung galaxy s3, so i didn't buy the One...

Fast forward to 2015 i got an invite to buy the OnePlus X, it was a beautiful phone, it still is!!! Its performance was great.. And it had the Oxygen OS Unfortunately it didn't get much software support.

Well tbh I believe oneplus flourished in India after the launch of the OnePlus 3, and then the 3t.
    The 3t got the title of the best smartphone in India (the 3 wasn't bad too , and i own a OnePlus 3 now)

After the 3 series came the 5 series, and it sported the dual camera setup, which made the brand even more popular...as the phones were available at a price which was way less than other flagships...

So yes, owning a OnePlus device is a great thing in India.
    In my college, there's only a few people (7or 8 i think) who own a OnePlus device, and yes, we have a different 'standard'
    Well i got the title of the "mobile photographer"
    And yes everyone sees my oneplus 3 as one of the best devices...

So yes, oneplus is going great here in India...

Then i joined the forums in January 2017... Was a typical cupcake till i learnt a lesson about searching by @SoniaB.
    Then i joined The Wormhole (will hyperlink it when i use the browser ) and made friends like @NeVeR_SeTTLe @idkwhoiam322 @BeingIncog @GopalB. @SJBoss @pa5t1s @Sun90 @BobbyVK @Baymax @Android450 @azzzulikz966 @Mjo @hotsauce @The1Lion @Chris.C @Cheetosdust @rusty264 @Mr BG @script @varma246 @Nezumi @beastkay and many more
    Made some moderator friends too, @keithnyc @SoniaB.
    And some people i know, like @dsmonteiro @eye82 and many more

Here's my reply.....

And here's the tag @Ruby G.

Btw, i suck at writing long answers

8. G_Kathrin_Zen_xqwe
    Cupcake Mar 19, 2018

G_Kathrin_Zen_xqwe , Mar 19, 2018 :
    I still remember when the One Plus One came out and my friends and me were discussing what to expect from it and how we could get our hands on one of those phones. Unfortunately we were just a bunch of students in a small city in Germany without knowing anyone who actually got an invitation to get a One Plus One. So, I decided to buy another Smartphone at that time - which was a mistake, because only a few months later those invitations were everywhere. We somehow managed to step into the bubble of One Plus fans, which was not that big during that time I suppose. So nearly all of my friends got a new One Plus One within a week or so. And we were impressed by what you could do with that phone and how well it worked for such a little price - no need to say that I was pretty jealous not having one at that time as I did not want to spend money on a new Smartphone having just bought one.

So It took me about two years to become a proud One Plus owner - when I bought my One Plus Three. During that time I had already moved to Berlin and many people were mistaking my phone for an I-Phone as it kind of looks pretty similar from afar, but just very tech enthusiastic people actually recognized the One Plus brand. Which is also supported by the fact that when I moved to Warsaw, Poland, a teacher at my University was talking about mobile trends and digital companies. As expected we were also talking about smartphone distributions (mostly Android and Apple) and came across One Plus. And he actually referred to One Plus owners as nerds because it is supposed to be a very nerdy phone.
    I don't know what I should think about that as indeed I am very interested in tech, but I would not consider myself a tech nerd.

So, in the end I think it really depends not on where you live, but how deep you are in the One Plus community (which I am not that connected with) on how your life as an One Plus fan is.

@Ruby G.

ChrisFR06, Dresa91, Ruby G. and 4 others like this.
  9. FlixbusLennart

FlixbusLennart , Mar 19, 2018 :
    Hello everyone :) This will be split in two parts. Becoming part of the OnePlus community and making others become part of it.

1) Being part of the German community, meeting other people

My first contact with the German OnePlus community was when I got a job and one of my co-workers had a OnePlus 3. He was a guy from my school, we never talked to each other before. We only knew of the sheer existence of each other. But right from the get-go we had something to talk about, as I was hyped for OnePlus since day one but never had the chance to buy a phone myself. We managed to maintain contact, stayed in touch over the years. We go to different universities now, but everytime there are news about OnePlus, we message each other.

I then decided to buy a OnePlus phone myself (after I spent 350 bucks on a low-tier Samsung device, of course!). Lack of money got me to buy a used one. So I met another guy who was really cool, and we had something to talk about, going further than just the typical selling talk. Sharing a passion really connects people.

Back to the first guy I got to know. We wanted to visit the OnePlus 5T launch event in Berlin back in November. My uni isn't too far away from where the event took place, so I was 2 hours early. Although I did not plan to buy the 5T (I just won an OP5 3 months prior!) I told him we could go there together. Being one of the first in line, I got to meet other over-enthuisiastic people. Again, we all liked each other instantly. Another guy came over and asked if we could guard his place in exchange for some drinks. So we suddenly held a nice little community event inside the community event. Everyone was so nice and I happened to meet the guy who made ProxTube. Yes, the guy who created the tool that I and tens of millions of people used for years everyday was there, waiting with us. He had some great stories to share.

2) Getting others to become part of the community
    When I started university last year, I started it together with my golden OnePlus 5. For the first two weeks, each day one or two of my fellow students asked me what phone I had. They were blown away by many aspects of the phone, even my lecturer participated in the conversation! I somehow managed to transform from the guy who looks at other people's phones to the guy whose phone other people look after. And guess what, I've had some great talks and built some great friendships with those who asked. Which is mind-blowing, because this is only a phone.

One of the people I have a course with owns the O.G. OnePlus One. Very cool guy I still talk with, regarding the newest OnePlus stuff.

My mom now owns my old OnePlus 3 and she couldn't be happier. She also owned a Samsung device and found it too confusing, too cluttered. It's a relief to see her understanding her phone at least a bit more :p By that, the OnePlus family really became family.

Conclusion

This brand connects people. Not only in the technical way - but also emotionally.

EDIT: My university is a scientific uni. So people really care about all the techie-stuff there. And I see OnePlus phones everywhere! So you just feel home, even in a country as cold as Germany.

Dresa91, Mjo, Ruby G. and 10 others like this.
  10. NeVeR_SeTTLe

Connecting people like Nokia? :p:D

Dresa91, Mjo, Bobbie63 and 2 others like this.
  11. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Mar 19, 2018

G_plusone , Mar 19, 2018 :
    In the country I am in I got to know of Oneplus when I saw a friend of mine posted on Facebook about getting an invite. Then I found out what Oneplus was and about the invite system which seemed as bit crazy and wondered how my friend was able to get an Invite. It was a very good phone for especially at that price at that time and performance was. He also shared an invite if our friends wanted one. I was not interested in buying a phone at that time because my previous phone was holding good and wasn't in need of a replacement.

The Next Phone OP2 got released and another friend bought a OPO. When asked about the reason he said that the OP2 wasn't an upgrade to the one. Luckily he was fortunate enough to not buy into the hype. Another friend wasn't so lucky.

Then the forgotten child Oneplus X got released and a work friend got one Soon ™.It looked sleek and the red charging cable was eye catching and it is still now even for the 5T the trademark Oneplus red. The Form factor of the OPX was so good it would be hold up even in today's notched design. The Amoled display was very nice to see. A refreshing design.

Then the Oneplus 3 came and my somewhat reliable HTC stopped booting and was asked to replace motherboard which was higher than the mobile cost so had to get a new phone and was hunting for options and settled on the 3. Came to know about the Forum from the community app and joined it later after lurking without logging in for a long time.

Then as I was adjusting to my new phone they released the T.
    I was like
    What?????????
    A friend who waited got the 3T and it took a few days of usage to realize I wasn't missing anything big.

Then came the 5 with jelly and the 5T with a longer screen. The forum is at times fun and a silly distraction and now I know that it is better to not be fanboy for anything

buntycubal, Dresa91, Mjo and 12 others like this.
  12. Lancelot_69
    Lollipop Mar 19, 2018

Lancelot_69 , Mar 19, 2018 :
    Appreciate the tag! You are a great community supporter and apparently a legend! A status I have yet to acquire in my time well wasted here lol

Dresa91, Mjo, Bobbie63 and 6 others like this.
  13. NeVeR_SeTTLe

"Apparently" a legend :D Not yet. We both are in the same boat. ;)

Dresa91, Mjo, Bobbie63 and 3 others like this.
  14. FlixbusLennart

15. tbalnt
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 19, 2018

tbalnt , Mar 19, 2018 :
    First of all, thanks for the opportunity to talk about being a part of the oneplus family, from my point of view.
    I live in Hungary, and unfortunately having a OnePlus device is not quite usual here. Few years ago I didn't even know what this brand was, but then a friend of mine introduced the Oneplus 2 to me. I immediately wanted to buy one. However at the time I did not have the money , but I swore that I would buy a Oneplus phone. When the 3T came out, I knew this would be the perfect phone for me, so I went on to buy it. At the time of my purchase , I only wanted a OnePlus device because of the hardware and the software. However, when I received the phone, I saw the Community app, and clicked on it. Signed in, and then I realised, OnePlus was a huge family. Many topics were ongoing in connection with accessories, and ROMs. This was a huge surprise for me, and I became somehow part of the conversations, and ended up reading the threads and posting daily. For me, being a member of the giant OnePlus family, means that I get to know other people as I am reading their post. If I find their posts interesting, then I tag them, and a lovely conversation starts. Also here in the community, I had the chance to expreience the most hearth-warming treatment, that I have never received from any kind of a company before. And this is where I started feeling as a family member. The scenario was the following:
    I have been using the Open Beta Roms on my 3T since Open Beta Build 1. I have always appreciated these roms, and the opportunity, being able to submit issues or suggestions, in the report feature. However, not too long ago, I realised an annoying lack of feature in my phone. The notes on the Shelf were not editable. I thought, this was a bit inconvinient, so I decided to post under the original thread of the open beta, and tag Adam Krisko personally, and ask for this feature as I thought editable Notes were must have features. Then I became extremely excited when Adam liked my post. I told my friends, if the feature was going to be implemented into the firmware in the near future, I would buy Oneplus phones for the rest of my life. And then @Adam Krisko you know what happened. The editable notes became a feature in THE NEXT open beta update. As I am a man of my words, I immediately knew that the upcoming devices of mine would be only OnePlus phones. And you know what? I wouldn't be able to find anything better, even if I wanted to. After the mentioned case, I realised that the community really means a lot to OnePlus, and it is not just advertising. OnePlus saw my opinion, cared about it, appreciated it, and they did something to make their users happier, and make their devices even better. This is what being the part of the community means to me. Being appreciated, being heard, being capable of making friends with the same interests, and feeling proud of my choice in buying a smartphone. It is the mentality behind the company which makes me a member of the family. And this mentality is something, that most manufacturers just don't own. This is where OnePlus is unique.
    Best Regards
    B. Toth

Dresa91, Ruby G., meatandy and 2 others like this.
  16. The1Lion
    Lollipop Mar 19, 2018

The1Lion , Mar 19, 2018 :
    What it's like being a fan in the USA? Well a lot has changed since I took my first "risk" with OnePlus. I had never heard of OnePlus and it's still a relative unknown here. Needing an invite in the early days to buy a phone was unheard of. In fact, at the time, buying a phone from a Chinese company would give most Americans pause as eBay had tons of knock-off phones being sold that many would consider a waste of money. But I did my research and was still a bit hesitant to order, but eventually did. Still using the OnePlus One that I wasn't even sure would last more than a year :D

I've since met two people here in the Chicago area that owned a OnePlus One (oddly enough I haven't met anyone that owns a newer device!) Three years later and still not many people have heard of OnePlus and the funny thing is when I have my phone out of it's case, people ask "is that a new phone?" or "what phone is that?" and that includes people who have actually seen my phone before :confused:

I've been hoping OnePlus would do some event in Chicago. Hasn't happened (yet) but perhaps someday. I have the messenger bag (wife took it and started using it) and the black backpack which I loved but being a good father had to sacrifice and let my son use it for school - I feel a little jealous each time I see him with it :oops: You just don't see OnePlus gear that much around here.

It's been an up and down road for me personally as I was extremely excited when I received my OnePlus device and showed it off and offered invites to friends, family and co-workers. It was a little embarrassing when my OnePlus One suddenly died and I couldn't revive it and was back to using my older HTC phone for a month (people were wondering what happened to the "great" phone I had been showing off). To OnePlus' credit, they took care of it, may have taken a month but it was taken care of and the replacement is still in use today (about 3 years later). With OnePlus opening a replacement here in the States (in Texas I believe), I'd imagine the turnaround time has improved.

I remember when the two was announced it was perhaps only a few months after I received my replacement One, and yet I got caught up in the hype and found myself trying to put together an invite code to use! :D:p I was such a noob at the whole VR thing that I was watching a black spot with OnePlus (I think) most of the launch until I realized I could move my phone to "look around" :rolleyes: I know the two received some back lash, some of it justified but I also think the One was such a big success that it was really hard to follow up on that success. Pretty much anything less than spectacular was going to be a fail. The latest 5T has had me watching to see what is coming from OnePlus and my current device IS 3 years old now, so it's about time for an upgrade I think ;) We'll have to wait and see what OnePlus has up it's sleeve this time.

Thanks for the tag @NeVeR_SeTTLe

17. The1Lion
    Lollipop Mar 19, 2018

The1Lion , Mar 19, 2018 :
    The KitKat boat :D That's the coolest boat as everyone knows KitKat was the bestest ever! ;):p

Dresa91, Mjo, meatandy and 2 others like this.
  18. meatandy
    Oreo Mar 19, 2018

meatandy , Mar 19, 2018 :
    Wait , What "next level" ? :cool::D

Dresa91, Mjo, NeVeR_SeTTLe and 2 others like this.
  19. 73ND41
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 19, 2018

Dresa91 likes this.
  20. Yashshah_36
    Honeycomb Mar 19, 2018

Yashshah_36 , Mar 19, 2018 :
    Oneplus here In India means a tradition. By the tradition and culture , I mean the Oneplus Community. The whole Oneplus devices and the products are based and the community and the people who participate and share their experience just to make the products and overall experience much better. This community is almost like the backbone of the whole company. I'm here not only speaking for India, but every other country who has joined the community to make the Oneplus Products happen.

It all started when Oneplus One Came out and it blew up the other flagships which then apparently was named the 'Flagship Killer'. The name itself gave that phone a throne over the other phone which ruled over the budget phone with the flagship features and a unique Sandstone finish like no other phone.

Oneplus has kept its consistency with it's products keeping in mind what people want for their phone. In India ,people usually lean towards a phone which gives the best user experience for an affordable price. So, in India , Oneplus became a huge deal for many people because of the flagship specs at such and affordable rate.

No doubt India is a beautiful country. It has the most most diversified people and the amount of festivals celebrated here is beyond your imagination. Oneplus gives us that opportunity to capture each and every moment and time with it's great camera. Doesn't matter if you're on a road trip with your friends or you're celebrating Diwali with your family, Oneplus has got you coverd with it's dual lens with excellent low light camera and portrait effects to capture each and every moment with your loved ones.

People not only in India , but all over the globe like Simplicity. Oneplus's OxygenOS gives you that simplicity what you wanted in your phone. it's so simple to use and and so interactive. OxygenOs makes it so easy to interact and communicate witb the device give the gestures and a few other small things which really makes it stand out from othe Operating Systems. No doubt aming ine of the best.

So, People in India think that Oneplus is not just about the camera, or the specs, or anyother things, its about the culture and the ecosystem. It's about people getting together. it's about the interaction. it's about the voice of the people. it's about the trust.
    And honestly , it's about spending your hard earned money on something you can rely on.

'WE ARE ONE'

Never settle.
    @Ruby G.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018

Dresa91, Mjo, Ruby G. and 2 others like this.