[Let's Talk] What is it like being a OnePlus fan in your country?

1. RahulJain22893
    Eclair Mar 19, 2018

RahulJain22893 , Mar 19, 2018 :
    I happened to catch the glimpse of OnePlus 1 when launched and I was like dude what's with the name. years passed by and you people improved your product and grew in fanbase and popularity. last year when OnePlus 5 was launched, I was one of the early buyers through Amazon in India. Since the day I have held this truly magnificent beauty in my hands, I have felt an entirely different experience of what smartphone actually means and OnePlus gives a sense of being stand-alone company of android just like apple. when you're around OnePlus users, it's just the entire discussion all about. NEVER SETTLE !

Dresa91, Ruby G., G_plusone and 2 others like this.
  2. sarthak@sark
    Honeycomb Mar 19, 2018

sarthak@sark , Mar 19, 2018 :
    being a oneplus fan in India is awesome .few years ago no one cares about a oneplus device and no one bats an eye about specifications and their pricing ..but with OnePlus came in the market everything changed like never before .i can often hear oneplus default ringtone in my college , on the way to home and in makets and public places more and more the reaction after hearing is obviously checking ur pockets to pickup a call by many ..just thrills me to be part of such a strong community and with many many activie users .i also find thrillled when they compare my phone with their flagships and find so much similar or more then theirs on my device at a lower price , is having the best feeling .this little triumphs make me happy everyday and never want me to leave this ecosystem and the strongest community according to me . with so much more to come with every new device with a very marginal price hike . flagship killer or flagship king are the best suited name to the device .all u could achieve in Life and still Never settle

Dresa91, G_plusone, Ruby G. and 2 others like this.
  3. DARTH 007
    KitKat Mar 19, 2018

4. NeVeR_SeTTLe
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Mar 19, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe , Mar 19, 2018 :
    It still is!!! :p

Dresa91, Mjo, G_plusone and 2 others like this.
  5. GuitarHero0179
    Jelly Bean Mar 19, 2018

GuitarHero0179 , Mar 19, 2018 :
    My first oneplus phone was the One. When I bought it I still needed an invite so I spend some days browsing the forums responding to the "react first to get an invite" threads. Nobody around me heard of the brand and I had to explain to concept of Oneplus a lot: a very premium phone for a very good price. When mentioning the brand name, at that time everyone thought of the HTC one. I think the invite system also made it a bit more difficult for the phone to be more widely known to the public. I loved the phone so whenever I got the chance (and if people were interested) I was happy to give more information about the brand.

I skipped out on the 2 and 3(t) but I kept close watch on the oneplus phones since I'm always interested in the latest (phone) tech. I try to upgrade my phone once I feel that I really have a good improvement over the last phone. I did tried to stay active at the forums at that time to share the love/knowledge for the brand.

Last year I upgraded to the Oneplus 5 and that phone got a lot more attention in several (local) tech sites than the one. Also I could notice more Oneplus phones in the street (when paying attention to phones while traveling with public transport for example).

Recently I got a oneplus backpack in the 5t referral contest, and now people start recognizing the brand (seeing the logo on the backpack and knowing what it is) and are asking some questions about the phone. Some friends around me also bought the phone partially because of what I showed them. I think the open sales really help expanding the Oneplus brand and of course the launch events the last year's were luckily also in my country (Amsterdam). In the future I'll try to keep supporting the brand and the forums :)

Dresa91, Mjo, G_plusone and 3 others like this.
  6. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Mar 19, 2018

Bouncer71 , Mar 19, 2018 :
    I can't talk about being a fan..
    but being an owner of a OnePlus device in Germany....

somehow lonely, but also special...

I know one other person personally, who owned one, and now switched to iPhone because of company policy...

well, there's a saying...

who's swimming against the (main)stream, will get to the source...

a nother one...

who pisses against the wind, will end up smelling...

anyways, I don't care...

I'm comfy, right here, and right now...

for now...

Dresa91, NeVeR_SeTTLe, Mjo and 4 others like this.
  7. meatandy
    Oreo Mar 20, 2018

meatandy , Mar 20, 2018 :
    So @Ruby G. You want to know what it's like to be a OnePlus fan in my neck of the woods? Hmmm

Have you ever heard the term , If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it , does it really make a sound ? :eek:

We'll to be perfectly honest I have only spotted a single OnePlus device in the wild , My daughter and I were walking through the grocery store a few summers ago , the gentleman was having a discussion on his OnePlus device speaking in Russian , immediately I thought just maybe It might be @sfomin because of the lovely looking lady that had been accompanying him .:D Thinking to myself, should I strike up a conversation with this guy , although he never gave me the opportunity since he wouldn't stop yick yacking
    on his OnePlus 2 :oops: Other than this particular circumstance I seem to be the only local yokel running around the Minneapolis area with a OnePlus device.
    Say it isn't so?
    We'll not really , I do know @milkdude is pounding the pavement out there somewhere. :pAnd a roaming pride of @The1Lion 's pass by this way on a rare occurrence , guess I should have left some fresh meat on the grill.;)

This leads me to my participation here within the forum's threads where we all have chatted , felt the varying degrees of hype of each device launch through the years meanwhile many conversations moved outside of the Forum on many various messenger apps where many virtual friendships have been made , lost or otherwise.:)

All hope is not lost , I'm still hoping for the day OnePlus could partner with a carrier such a
    Tmobile , at least on a trial basis ;) maybe this opportunity could lead to more sightings out in the wild AND only if we could get each other to look up from our screens for more than the occasional glance upward to see what's in front of us.:p

I'd like to thank all my forum friends for so much enlightenment and entertainment over the years.

#TagsNotNeeded for privacy reasons.:sweatsmile:

8. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Mar 20, 2018

theshinybeast , Mar 20, 2018 :
    Practically the same story as mine.:rolleyes:

otto2, keithnyc, ChrisTerp and 7 others like this.
  9. Lancelot_69
    Lollipop Mar 20, 2018

Lancelot_69 , Mar 20, 2018 :
    I don't know how you tagged me without actually tagging me but pretty slick! I actually have the same experience with all my OnePlus devices. Never seen anyone with one until about a month ago I seen a young Chinese girl with an OPO on the subway but I didn't want to seem like a perv, a 58 year old man striking up a conversation with a young girl I just flashed my OPO and smiled

10. artloverjv
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 20, 2018

artloverjv , Mar 20, 2018 :
    Hey @Ruby G. Here's what it feels like to be a Fanboy in India.

I can still remember the time when OnePlus One was launched in India. There were no ads for OnePlus at that time but the hype was real. One of my friends bought it and I wasn't sure why someone would buy a phone that needs Invite and is from a completely new Company. Then I held the device in my hand, and I knew why. It was like nothing available at that time. It felt new, and premium, and was one third the price of an Actual Flagship. Everyone around was calling it the 'Flagship Killer'. Then, the OnePlus 2 and OnePlus X came, and more of my friends started using a OnePlus device. I wanted one badly, but my savings weren't enough. And then Came the OnePlus 3 and 3T. I had asked my elder brother to gift me an OP3 way before it launched. Well, He did buy an OP3T, but kept it for himself. Hah! And I really can't blame him. It was an amazing device. Then came the OnePlus 5 and my savings, which started for the OP 2, were finally enough to buy me a OnePlus device. I ordered it right away when it launched, without waiting for any reviews or unboxing videos. That's the kind of Trust OnePlus had built here. And to be honest, OP 5 didn't disappoint me. It is one of the finest devices with some high end specs. The Dual Camera was a new thing then, for a mid range phone at least. And all of my friends went crazy for it. Everyone wanted a picture clicked with the OnePlus watermark. The Portrait mode is a Beauty. And believe me, This phone has given so many profile pictures to my friends. I've been using my OP5 to help me in studies, art, music production and much more. It is like a part of everything I do now. Such is the Impact of the OnePlus devices.

11. dcmcc24
    KitKat Mar 20, 2018

dcmcc24 , Mar 20, 2018 :
    How has being a OnePlus fan in the USA been @Ruby G. ? Both exciting and rewarding. Around April of 2014 I was online reading some of my favorite tech sides at the time like engadget and I happened upon an article about a company named OnePlus launching a new phone with incredible specs and the operating system by Cyanogen mod. Just by having Cyanogen attached to the project had me immediately intrigued and when they went on sale I tried my best to get my hands on one. I waited patiently for an invite and then started conversing on the forums and soon enough an invite headed my way. I purchased the phone and a few days later had it in my hands! I was immediately in love. I took it out and about with me everywhere I went and soon enough people started noticing it. They kept asking me "ooh is that the new iPhone?" or "what phone is that?" When I told them OnePlus they gave me blank stares or thought I was talking about a HTC phone. It felt so incredibly cool to have this exclusive phone that most didn't know about and those that did couldn't buy. I became sort of a OnePlus preacher at that point, telling everyone I met how great it was and even buying friends and family OnePlus phones. Over time word spread about OnePlus with each phone I've owned of theirs afterword. I started to notice more people recognizing my phone on the street and asking me if it was the new OnePlus. I started up conversations with several of these people and became good friends with them over our love of tech. We talk about rooting our phones thanks to the unlocked bootloader or which custom rom we are using that day because of the amazing developer community. We send each other photos taken on the great cameras. Hanging out we use our phones as bluetooth speakers thanks to the loud volume or play games like Pokemon Go thanks to the powerful hardware and long lasting battery. I still recommend OnePlus phones to everyone I know because of the great people that work there, powerful hardware at a reasonable price, and software that's smooth as butter and better than stock Android in my opinion. I am continuously in awe of the OnePlus community and it's fans I meet and I look forward to being a part of the OnePlus community going forward for a long time!

12. GopalB.
    Nougat Mar 20, 2018

GopalB. , Mar 20, 2018 :
    Well... That was funny... :p
    Btw how???
    I got the notification but there is no tag!!!

otto2, meatandy, binky and 5 others like this.
  13. idkwhoiam322
    Nougat Mar 20, 2018

idkwhoiam322 , Mar 20, 2018 :
    Tag and remove tag!

otto2, meatandy, binky and 5 others like this.
  14. The1Lion
    Lollipop Mar 20, 2018

The1Lion , Mar 20, 2018 :
    Yes my pride did roam that parts last year, great area and wish we had more time up there. That reminds me, I missed @zepphead when new came through Chicago!

otto2, ChrisTerp, meatandy and 4 others like this.
  15. The1Lion
    Lollipop Mar 20, 2018

otto2, ChrisTerp, binky and 4 others like this.
  16. SurajLoharia
    Jelly Bean Mar 20, 2018

SurajLoharia , Mar 20, 2018 :
    @GopalB. I appreciate it mate and Thank yoo too for be with me in my times Alone and Thread jacking co operation ..

Useless Future thread will be colored in Our post-el colors ...

otto2, binky, Dresa91 and 3 others like this.
  17. Nezumi_
    KitKat Mar 20, 2018

Nezumi_ , Mar 20, 2018 :
    Hmm, what is it like being a OnePlus fan in my country?

Well first off, I wouldn't call myself that much of a fan, but I did take the risk of buying a OnePlus phone in my country.

Why is it a risk? Ahem, because OnePlus doesn't ship their phones to my country anymore (and yeah, let's just call it somewhere between Asia and Australia.. ¬w¬ ), yet I know that a OnePlus phone is exactly what I was looking for, I've been keeping an eye on OnePlus ever since the first flagship killer was released and so I opted for the OnePlus 5 when it came out.

The smartphone market here is mostly dominated by Oppo, Vivo, and Xiaomi. Of course, there isn't any single OnePlus service center here, and if my phone ever happen to be defective (which luckily isn't), I'll have to send it back to the seller which will take some weeks to get it exchanged, oh and shipping took roughly three weeks when I first bought the phone.

Speaking about OnePlus users here, it's like finding a needle in a haystack, I have never spotted any single OnePlus user in the wild. Although there does this one small group of local OnePlus users which has about 170 members in total, unfortunately it's pretty much inactive most of the time.

But despite the fact that OnePlus isn't available here, it seems that a good portion of people here actually recognized the brand. Sometimes when I use my phone naked I'm getting asked by a random person "is that a OnePlus phone?", "how did you manage to get it?", "how much does it cost?", these are some pretty common questions I got from someone and my friends.

So being a lone fox *cough* here leads me to participate in the forum, it started when I was having the infamous blank smart lock issue, I searched within the community app and found the solution real quick! And of course there's no need to create a thread for it :rolleyes:

Time goes by and I'm getting more addicted, being active and trying to help people in the forum, it's challenging but feels great when you're able to help people unbrick their phone. It's also the place where I can entertain myself when I get bored or have nothing to do.

I've also learned a lot more about Android development with my OnePlus phone, such as building my own custom kernel from source, I've come across many trials and errors in the process but in the end, it became a new experience for me, like I've impressed my friends and I'll never forget the hype when I successfully booted my phone with my own kernel ^w^

Then, there comes the best part: community people, who are being helpful to the others all the time. It's one plus community, OnePlus is nothing without the community. Well, I'd like to thank @MentalDraco ^w^ for being a great friend, @Punk_69 I miss the time when you would often change your username :p @Baymax for the unofficial WIR and MIR threads @GopalB. @Hydra Bob @Android450 @idkwhoiam322 @varma246 @meatandy @BeingIncog @Bobbie63 @SJBoss @Ash645 @otto2 mods and all the others ^w^

Hydra Bob, Ash645, otto2 and 15 others like this.
  18. Dresa91
    Android Q Mar 20, 2018

Dresa91 , Mar 20, 2018 :
    I have the feeling that OnePlus is still relatively small as a manufacturer in Germany.

When I'm in the subway or the suburban railway, I mostly only see Samsung or Apple devices.

In Hamburg I only saw a few OnePlus devices, mainly the OnePlus 2 or the OnePlus 3.

I first came into contact with OnePlus in Germany at the time of OnePlus One.

In my bachelor's degree many fellow students were quite hot for the OPO, unfortunately I hadn't gotten any invites. My fellow students were very enthusiastic. That's why I kept the name OnePlus in mind.

Currently there are several OnePlus groups on Facebook, of which I am a member.

After buying the OnePlus 3 I recommended the OP3 to a friend of mine, who bought it and still uses it and is satisfied (it comes from a Google Nexus 4).

I also recommended the OnePlus 3(T) to a colleague who was looking for a good smartphone for his son.

I think maybe OnePlus should invest more and more in advertising or something in Germany to make OnePlus even better known.

Events like Open Forum in Hamburg or so are a good way to get there.

Perhaps OnePlus will also be able to expand small stores in large cities in Germany (like Apple) by expanding with customer service, so that OnePlus will also greatly (!) improve in the area of customer service.

This is the only way OnePlus can win new buyers.

The community and the Facebook groups help me to get in touch with other OnePlus owners in Germany and to exchange ideas.

But also the possibility to get in contact and exchange with other owners across borders is a big plus. I have never seen such a community at Sony or Samsung, and that is the strength of OnePlus - especially when OnePlus sticks to building devices for and from the community and listening to the community!

buntycubal, Ash645, varma246 and 6 others like this.
  19. Kishan_k
    Gingerbread Mar 20, 2018

Kishan_k , Mar 20, 2018 :
    when oneplus first launched the oneplus one I was very exited cause I like the pure Android UI. ONEPLUS one was using cyanogen OS which had lot of customisation but the first two phones had invite .those who had invites only they can buy so I think that was the draw back.
    then came oneplus 3 without invite so everyone can buy .I recommended that to my father and he bought it immediately and after few months my uncle bought 3t . Both were very happy with the phone like camera , performance, pure Android and every thing then came my chance to put my hand on OnePlus device and I bought the Oneplus 5 . and I have to say this device is a beast in terms of performance and frequent updates make it the device to must have .
    one thing that should be done is the camera area like the camera does not catch the perfect colour while taking photographs. the slow motion gets blur there is 720p option available but can't be enabled other than that this device is POWER HOUSE .
    The design of the phone is excellent but some would say it is copycat(i dont think so). slim design, dual camera, Gorilla glass what else you want other than IR sensor.I have to say that build quality is excellent because I have dropped my phone like 3 times from above waist height and not even a stretch .

OnePlus team keep making good phones with improved features

@Ruby G. tagged

meatandy, Nezumi_, Dresa91 and 3 others like this.
  20. fo0ling
    KitKat Mar 20, 2018

fo0ling , Mar 20, 2018 :
    Gosh! OnePlus is now really popular in the Philippines! Like I'm legit not joking! A handful of people that I see in school are rocking a OnePlus 3/5/5T! Even two of my friends own OnePlus phones! It's really nuts on how the phones attracted the Philippine market in a matter of months!

I've really always wondered if I played a huge role in bringing such a startup company back then to our soil, and that the popularity of the phones was made possible by the club that I formed and that I enjoyed interacting with the people that were in it. God, did I miss those days wherein the hype was definitely real since the OnePlus One.

I really feel grateful for this forum and for OnePlus, because they knew that the Philippines had potential in acquiring these phones and that they could all rock it as their daily driver. I smile when I get to hear my friends rave about the phone. I am just mindblown on how I thought OnePlus could never make it here to knowing that almost everyone is rocking the latest and greatest OnePlus phone...

I am glad that I made that all possible. OnePlus Pinoy Fan Club and my forum friends, I salute to you all.

Nezumi_, ChrisTerp, Ruby G. and 2 others like this.