[Let's Talk] What is it like being a OnePlus fan in your country?

1. RomeHGIC
    Eclair Apr 10, 2018

RomeHGIC , Apr 10, 2018 :
    Here in the U.S. (Little Rock, AR) I personally have been a fan since the beginning, however, I never manager to get my hands on a device until last month. Right before they sold out in North America!

The "Flagship Killer" ads were prominent around YouTube & 2 of my favorites had me convinced that the OnePlus One was the wrench thrown in the middle of falgship wars. Not only in specs, but price & I couldn't argue. As someone who has worked with cell phone retail since 2010, I was interested in things like RAM, processing power, & especially stock Android (owned a Nexus 6 back in 2015). At the time CyanogenMod was the OS but regardless it was dope to see a device that welcomed customizing to this degree along w/ in-house tweeks. In 2015, I had a cowoco-woi was training with wielding the OnePlus 2 I believe & we broke the ice by talking it up about how I'd had a few invites but was ready to buy. He, on the other end, mentioned how he'd referred a few friends & they loved the phone. I knew I'd to one day experience one first-hand. This year my brother & I both went unlocked. He's prepaid while I am postpaid. Both of us coukdncostop talking about the performance. I get double takes from customers when they see it & more shock at the price. It's helped sell the value of Android. As we speak I'm en route to buying a backpack & OnePlus branded case. I initially bought a pair of Bullets & they were dope w/ the audio turner, satisfied my audiophile needs.

Ruby G. likes this.
  2. Krish Mohan
    Cupcake Apr 10, 2018

Krish Mohan , Apr 10, 2018 :
    Yesterday when I tried changing the "Icon Pack" from oneplus to round, my 5t just refused to apply the change, it kept processing for so long that i had to reboot my phone. It shouldn't happen, its brand new, just couple of days old.

3. PJayy
    Froyo Apr 19, 2018

PJayy , Apr 19, 2018 :
    Think it really based on area. Like when I lived in Leeds no one has really heard of it but since moving to London people are aware of it. Mostly from way back though like the invitation only phones

Ruby G. and 73ND41 like this.
  4. saikrishnavoonnaa
    Froyo Apr 20, 2018

5. MyCupOfOnePlus
    Froyo May 18, 2018

6. chemistril
    Gingerbread May 18, 2018

Ruby G. likes this.
  7. Zakaria1
    Gingerbread May 20, 2018

Zakaria1 , May 20, 2018 :
    The Iphone comment like many of you lot in the U.K. OnePlus needs to have its own unique look that can be recognised by others. So it won't matter what country were from as long as its known everywhere for its own design.

Ruby G., Loonymoon and Nathaniel 123 like this.
  8. javi95ing
    Eclair May 20, 2018

javi95ing , May 20, 2018 :
    I live in Colombia, this is a place where iPhones and Samsung devices rule the smartphone escenario, I get asked what phone I own specially for the photos, it got to the point where my phone was better than an iPhone 7 at taking photos, and when I tell them what brand it is they go like "wtf never heard of them is it Chinese?", I don't care about that at all, what I do care is that it is so hard to find accessories for the 5t, like cases or protective glass, the ones sold by the official Colombian website are way too expensive this makes it almost impossible to buy something from them, I think that is the biggest problem finding third party accessories

Ruby G. likes this.
  9. Zakaria1
    Gingerbread May 20, 2018

Nathaniel 123 and Sebastian no1 like this.
  10. Martin70
    Honeycomb May 20, 2018

Martin70 , May 20, 2018 :
    Most of the time in rural England OnePlus are a bit "exotic", the flock seem to be divided between Apple and Samsung, however, my Never Settle bag and t-shirt have drawn comments from those in-on-the-secret. My funniest moment was when I went to a CarPhoneWarehouse store and the staff saw I had the OnePlus 5T just after it had come out, all of them wanted to see it and ask questions. When I left I am convinced they were all a little green knowing they were stuck selling overpriced phones to people who did not know enough to buy OnePlus. After that whenever I have felt in an evil mood I have targeted cell phone shops and gone in to ask if they were going to stock the OnePlus 6 while splashing my 5T around... small pleasures.

Ruby G. and Loonymoon like this.
  11. mrgeneral
    Gingerbread May 20, 2018

mrgeneral , May 20, 2018 :
    I was probably one of the first to purchase a OPO in Portugal, that is, because no one had ever heard of it before I bought it, and I bet a few more geeks here.
    OPO was a new brand that'd offer you superb specifications for a fraction of the price of the most popular brands, so... One morning, I decided to order it in the morning. I was bored, and needed a new phone to play with. I had a very, pretty much horrible Sagem phone.
    Next day, I received my OPO. I had no idea shipping times would be so short. So, I basically played with my new phone for weeks, sharing everything I could discover in IRC, mostly in the portuguese IRC network, along with friends at Skype, Facebook, MANY Facebook groups in Portugal and many university students. I have no idea how many sales from Portugal I got to OnePlus, but I'd say that I got many dozens of sales, if not hundreds. People were quite scared of ordering a what they call "chinese phone" (even though major brands are from China and/or purchase most hardware there). I was able to change their minds. Back in 2014/2015, OPO was the real flagship killer. It would make you feel like the so called "chinese phones" industry was changing. We, Europeans, are quite doubtful of new products unless we try them. I have. I spread the word and promised to myself to Never Settle.
    We're in May, 2018, and I am upgrading to OP6 from OPO. A phone that was able to withstand my heavy daily usage for 3 years+ is certainly a winner. This time I felt I'd need to give my old OPO away and get a new one, even though my OPO is still performing like a beast. Granted that I do run LineageOS there, which made it possible to have an updated phone, but in all fairness, it could still handle my heavy daily usage. I have around 30-40 Apps always open and it just rocks. Only recently it'd slowdown a bit, but that's probably due to the fact that I only had to reset it like twice in 3 years +.

To sum it up, I nowadays see more and more portuguese fellows with OP's, but it's still sort of rare, unless you're a geek. I feel proud for spreading the word in Portugal, and it's such a great feeling to be part of a community that really thinks of their customers as individuals, and not as a number.
    Remember, a solid company takes time to build. Reputation takes time to get trust.

Thank you OP for shipping to Portugal, I guess? :p

Have a great day all of you guys.

Ruby G. likes this.
  12. blaah
    Gingerbread May 21, 2018

blaah , May 21, 2018 :
    I live in Sweden . Being a OnePlus fan here is not that rare anymore. However, when I bought my OnePlus One back in 2014 not that many people knew much about the phone or the company. I remember people around me being really sceptical about me buying a phone from a very young company (+ buying their first phones ever :eek:) and instead advised me to buy phones from more 'reliable' companies that have established a market here. To be completely honest, I don't think I would've bought the phone either if it wasn't for a couple of big tech YouTubers recommending it and my friend buying it as well (we got an invite around the same time). Everyone that saw my phone were always curious about it and used to ask me what kind of phone it was and who the manufacturer was. I remember when me and my friend once saw another OnePlus user in the buss and got really hyped. Maybe it was because we had been on the forums for too long and finally seeing another user was a bit surreal hahaha. Who knows maybe that person had been someone we had interacted with online as well. Oh well, the country being Sweden and people valuing each others personal spaces, we never went and said "hi" to the stranger (I mean to be honest why would we? He was just using the same phone as us lol. But at that time it was sooo rare and there was an amazing Swedish community both here in this forum and in Facebook where people shared invites, interacted, helped each other etc.)

Nowadays, a lot of people use a OnePlus here in Sweden and I've seen many newspapers writing about OnePlus phones. Most of the people in my circle also use it after seeing me (no need to thank me :p) which is nice :)

Ruby G. likes this.
  13. Loonymoon
    Froyo May 21, 2018

Loonymoon , May 21, 2018 :
    I live near London but I have only come across a few people who have heard of it. I once was asked what phone I had and said "OnePlus" and they said "What brand is that?" thinking it was a model no... I did have one person see my phone and say " OOh it's a Oneplus 3T" but that;s the only person that's recognised it. When ever i recommend it on facebook threads where people are asking what phones to get - especially if they're on PAYG they usually have never heard of it but I usually get one other person reply saying "yes I have one and it's great" or something like that.

Ruby G. likes this.
  14. jizang
    Lollipop May 21, 2018

Ruby G. likes this.
  15. jellobobbu
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 23, 2018

jellobobbu , May 23, 2018 :
    Majority of people I run into have never heard of OnePlus (NYC). The original was different and I got compliments about how nice it looked. It's still going strong but now my mother uses the original OPO. When I got the 3T, most people thought it was an iPhone at first glance. Though I finally met some people who have heard of Oneplus at work this year and one of them even owns a OP3. I already ordered the OP6 because my 3T died on me just a few days ago just in time for the launch of the OP6. My coworker says she'll probably get the OP6 but don't know if she's actually going to order it.

Ruby G. likes this.
  16. Jacob_DK
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 28, 2018

buntycubal and Ruby G. like this.
  17. Clotilde R.
    North America Team Staff Member May 30, 2018

Clotilde R. , May 30, 2018 :
    I am located in the west coast in the US, it is not as common yet, but I have noticed more and more people are aware about OnePlus! I don't see so many yet but at least when I mention it people start to engage about it!

Ruby G. likes this.
  18. Akhshay Srinivasan
    Nougat May 30, 2018

Akhshay Srinivasan , May 30, 2018 :
    To generalize, every country is affected by the OnePlus fever

Be it India, the USA, Great Britain, China etc..... every country started recognises OnePlus products and you can say the rest based on your revenue counts.....

Media says it all firstly..... With OnePlus 6...... whoops from 5 itself you guys started ruling the smartphone market....

iPhone's started to slide down coz of it's prices ( not censuring Apple products) but the graph says it all.....

So, start inventing something innovative in the future.....

Thank you @Ruby G. for giving us an opportunity to pour out what we intended to (sic)

Last edited: May 30, 2018

buntycubal and Ruby G. like this.
  19. Lordello
    Cupcake Jun 4, 2018

Lordello , Jun 4, 2018 :
    It is a shame OnePlus have not came to Brazil, we need new high-end brands here. Our market is owned by Samsung and Apple, and there is nothing else that offers high end smartphones.
    I bought my from China, accepting the risk of no repair support here.

But OnePlus it's the best phone you can buy under 600 US$ and here I am.

Recently I found some people here that are proud owners of OnePlus phones, it's cool to talk and exchange experiences about our daily smarphones.

Cheers from Brazil.

PS: We hope OnePlus gets here in Brazil oficially.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018

Kytharsis and Ruby G. like this.
  20. Vivir
    Jelly Bean Jun 30, 2018