[ Let's Talk ] What makes smartphones so interesting that you're willing to spend so much time...

1. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2018

theshinybeast , Jul 16, 2018 :

Smartphones are obviously a huge part of our lives today. Everyone has one and everyone needs one in this day and age. They are a tool that have caught on in such a way that millions will even spend vast amounts of cash, which most can't really afford, on a yearly, biannual basis just to keep up with the latest in tech. This keeping up has also got a lot of different definitions, should it be the latest and greatest in specs, the fashion symbol, the sheer beauty of the device, a devotion to a brand etc.
    So, literally millions of people around the globe take these devices very seriously but there is a certain minority who have taken this fetish to another level. Yes, you and me.
    I'm a massive fan of DIY and all that it entails. My hammers, screwdrivers, planes, chisels and power tools are something dear to my heart, weird I know, don't judge. I also love my TV, my turntable, my amp et al, wholeheartedly but I've never been driven to seek out a forum, joined chats in Telegram, or anything remotely similar, to share my views about the delights of the hammer, the joy is a chisel or anything remotely similar. In fact the very idea is bizarre just writing it. I don't even have a reasonable answer to why I keep coming back to this very forum, it puzzles me and most of my friends and family too.
    So let's talk about it.
    What makes a smartphone so interesting that you're willing to spend so much time and participate so much in a forum such as this?

Chris.C, Gonzo01, Ravi2544 and 30 others like this.
  2. Lancelot_69
    Lollipop Jul 16, 2018

Lancelot_69 , Jul 16, 2018 :
    It's the forums members not necessarily the phone.

3. meatandy
    Oreo Jul 16, 2018

4. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2018

5. GopalB.
    Nougat Jul 16, 2018

GopalB. , Jul 16, 2018 :
    True...

6. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2018

That is what I had always thought. But, over the last 4 years the members who I would consider "friends" have changed several times. Only a few remain from 2014-2015.
    Apart from that, the idea of even joining the forum in the first place is still quite odd. How many people have joined, posted once, to complain normally, and then left, never to be seen again. Knowing you, for example, you have interacted a lot with "the regulars" but you have also had words with huge amounts of people who you'd rather not come across again.
    Why come back for something that is, I know this from experience, infuriating at best. I even "retired" from helping out as it was so exasperating.
    The members? Doesn't explain it really I think.

7. elanglois
    Lollipop Jul 16, 2018

elanglois , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Yep. Members like me. It's all about me

8. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2018

Hmmmmmo_O you are actually another fine example of what I'm getting at. You are a tech fiend, you obviously really dig all that can be found about phones etc from forums, websites and that. You know your stuff but when I see you here you are normally Mr Angry/frustrated with people who just don't read/ are careless etc yet you still come back despite the hassle. Weird or what?

Gonzo01, MikeG247, pa5t1s and 5 others like this.
  9. elanglois
    Lollipop Jul 16, 2018

elanglois , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Not really. The OnePlus One was not only a hackers dream phone, but was a big middle finger to greedy carriers with all their bloatware apps. Like the AT&T Contacts app which wouldn't save to Google servers. If you go with another provider, you lose all your contacts. Nice eh? I hate lock-ins, proprietary tools, spyware, bloatware, and any company that trys to tell me what I can and can't do with the device I purchased.

At the time, OnePlus was pretty unique. From my point of view, we need ensure that the tactics employed by greedy corporations aren't required. To do that, OnePlus must succeed.

Even if that means I have to explain one more time why your calls and data have to be on the same SIM if you use JIO LTE and have a OP5T or older, why they removed the music app, and why there won't be an FM radio app in the next software update!

10. meatandy
    Oreo Jul 16, 2018

meatandy , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Nope , LOL
    Since usage of the word "eh" is not as common in the United States as it is in Canada, it is often used by Americans, and indeed Canadians themselves, to parody Canadian English. ... An example of a sentence that uses "eh" in its expression is "Dis guy Singlish damn good eh", meaning "this guy's Singlish is very good".

11. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2018

Big difference between, EH and eh. :p
    As for the bug [sic], why not? If it weren't for the bug [sic] I wouldn't have had the joy of you sharing your linguistic wisdom on Canada.;) A good reason to pop into the forum that.:D

PS you didn't answer the question, oh Minnesota master butcher:rolleyes: ( it is Minnesota, isn't it?):rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018

pa5t1s, SJBoss and meatandy like this.
  12. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2018

So you are on the forum to fight the good fight against carriers and the man? Such noble intentions.:rolleyes:;)

pa5t1s, SJBoss and meatandy like this.
  13. meatandy
    Oreo Jul 16, 2018

I have no idea what Eden Hazard is .:oops:

pa5t1s, SJBoss and theshinybeast like this.
  14. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2018

Superb Belgian football player. Is this why you kept coming back to the forum? To seek knowledge? :rolleyes:

pa5t1s, SJBoss, Joel B and 2 others like this.
  15. meatandy
    Oreo Jul 16, 2018

I made a bad habit out of coming back for a little chit chat with people from around the world.

pa5t1s, Jeet77, SJBoss and 1 other person like this.
  16. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2018

Yeah, same for me but there is also something else that drives me to come back and I have absolutely no idea what it is. Of course the giggles and chat are a big draw but at first it was also to learn more about rooting, ROMs etc but when all that crowd moved on I still persist. It's odd.

SJBoss and superplus like this.
  17. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2018

The1Lion , Jul 16, 2018 :
    I'm not participating in this whole "what makes you participate in these forums" until this whole lopsided "likes" deal is redone! Myself and my fellow Americans have suffered this whole lopsided likes trading too long and I am ready to start "tariffs" on this thread! :mad::p

I actually spend so much time here due to having a boring job ;):D Also need something to do on the train and like to "look" like I'm busy and have social life. :rolleyes:

sommersy, meatandy, SJBoss and 4 others like this.
  18. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2018

Fake news!! :p;) So you use the forum for entertainment value? This is a worthy reply. Even though you 'muricans don't deserve it.;)

19. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2018

The1Lion , Jul 16, 2018 :
    Now, now; you Europeans are a great group of people, really great people. I am glad you have agreed to up your "like" clicks by 2-4%, this is really, because of me, this is really great news! ;):p

sommersy, meatandy and SJBoss like this.
  20. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2018

Really really great! The greatest. You 'muricans are the greatest,. really. The greatest. People are always telling me hey, them 'muricans are the greatest, really, the greatest.:p;)