[ Let's Talk ] What makes smartphones so interesting that you're willing to spend so much time...

1. toastytoast1234
    Marshmallow Aug 4, 2018

toastytoast1234 , Aug 4, 2018 :
    Did I just get transported to Craggy Island?

zepphead and theshinybeast like this.
  2. johneebee
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Aug 4, 2018

johneebee , Aug 4, 2018 :
    Man, am I happy I came into this thread this late. The further I was reading up on all the comments the more it felt like I was indeed in an old Irish pub and the evening was getting later and later.

What brought me to this forum in the first place is obvious. After a long while looking for a new phone I stumbled upon oneplus back in 2014, made an account and initially was just looking in the forum for invites. I know that sounds like a very egoistic answer but that was what it first was in all honesty. After getting my oneplus one things changed. I never spend that much money on a phone and before that I was struggling with a really bad one for more than 4 years. Experiencing the world of difference an actual flagship phone makes compared to a 100 euro phone actually did gave me pride about my phone. It made me want to be up to date with all what was coming in the forum. With my last phone I never got any OTA update, and now I found myself being super excited and researching when the next update would be coming. It was almost a form of addiction waiting to finally get a next update. :oops: But after the updates stopped coming for my one, I also kinda stopped coming to the forum unless once in a while out of curiosity when oneplus was unveiling a new phone.

Now 4 years later I needed a new phone again so I thought why not look at the same spot where I got my last great phone. And all the sudden I was stuck. First I enjoyed helping some less tech savvy people struggling on the forum. But after answering the same questions for about a dozen times I got tired of that and do that way less nowadays. Then I came across the wormhole, the contests and some other random threads and that’s what really got my attention. I got to talk to some interesting people, be my weird self and let my creativity flow. All the sudden I was making friends, getting likes (not gonna lie, the psychology of likes probably works on me :p) and positive interaction. And it’s all that that’s keeping me here right now (I see the forum mostly as a place for me to be creative and to enjoy myself ^^).

That being said...

[​IMG]

3. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Aug 4, 2018

theshinybeast , Aug 4, 2018 :
    Good man, nice answer.:rolleyes:

4. toastytoast1234
    Marshmallow Aug 4, 2018

toastytoast1234 , Aug 4, 2018 :
    You, me, and 100k others. Come for the invite, stay for the ...other stuff. I've only ever signed up for one other forum, and I posted on that maybe twice.

zepphead, theshinybeast and johneebee like this.
  5. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Aug 4, 2018

theshinybeast , Aug 4, 2018 :
    Yep, never signed to a forum before or after.

toastytoast1234 and zepphead like this.
  6. cdnfarmer
    Photography Expert Aug 5, 2018

cdnfarmer , Aug 5, 2018 :
    In addition to the hardware and software, there are three main reasons for smartphones being so interesting that they consume lots of our time.

1. The convenience

Yes, there are lots of ways to describe it but it boils down to the convenience, communication, discovery, and unknown... What can we discover, do, try, and find with a device. This little handheld computer can capture precious moments, record video with special effects (i.e. slow mo), automate some chores, facilitate searching for information, communicate with others, and more. Yes a person can use the basic functions yet there are so much more that the phone can do. For example, a picture, can be captured by opening the camera app and clicking the button. However, a user may want to change some of the options to enhance low light photography. The person can then spend lots of time playing with the various settings to capture that picture. After it has been captured, then there could be post editing process. Oh wait, just to get to this point, the user needs to find what software to use.... Time is spent reading the forums and product reviews as well as trying the software. All this effort can be rewarding and a reason to continue expanding the skills with the phone. It feels satisfying when you achieve such progress.

2. The Essentials

Smartphones have become a vital part of our lives. We use it for almost everything: finding information, sharing thoughts, communicating with others, capturing life`s moments, storing information (contacts, notes, shopping lists etc), paying bills, finding places, using it as a watch or clock. Most people must have their phones when they leave the house or do an activity. In fact, not having the phone or misplacing it can cause a moment of panic or anxiety for many people. We have become reliant on that handheld computer. It plays important roles in many facets of our life. Just remember when you missed placed your phone, did you worry?

3. The Communications / Community

Regardless of the kind of phone, we use it to communicate with others whether it`s via some videoconferencing app, phone, SMS etc. As human beings, we have a need of belonging. The phone in part helps fulfill that need.

In addition, OnePlus also has a community with all kinds of people with varied experiences. Some people have been here from the beginning while others have joined in the last few days. The phone and what it can and cannot do is a great starting point that has built friendships. A user can see the diversity of the community. Many older or long term folks have good comments and advice. We can see the humanity (in most cases) where people try to help out others and where people get to know each other. Yes, it becomes interesting when you can relate to someone, others appreciate the help provided (a motivation on its own), and conversations are made. Sometimes, the discussions seem to be like watching a drama movie or show. Some people may like that kind of entertainment too. In my opinion, the acquaintances and friendships built on these forums is what gets people coming back.

Our lifestyle have therefore evolved to include a mobile phone in almost every aspect of our lives. It is almost like a third hand. We have become very reliant on what the phone can do and how we used it in our lives. There are communication medium that also build friendships. For all these reasons, smartphones are interesting and requires so much of our time.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018

Venky61, zepphead and theshinybeast like this.
  7. zepphead
    Lollipop Aug 5, 2018

zepphead , Aug 5, 2018 :
    drink.... feck ..... girls ................. drink!!!!

8. zepphead
    Lollipop Aug 5, 2018

zepphead , Aug 5, 2018 :
    far too sensible for me

9. zepphead
    Lollipop Aug 5, 2018

zepphead , Aug 5, 2018 :
    I came for the promise of free drink and loose women .... i think i may have mixed up web sites ... bugger!

10. zepphead
    Lollipop Aug 5, 2018

zepphead , Aug 5, 2018 :
    my smartphone tickles my jubblies when it vibrates .... an underestimated smartphone feature

11. toastytoast1234
    Marshmallow Aug 5, 2018

toastytoast1234 , Aug 5, 2018 :
    Finally, one thing I never got round to using Tasker for.

zepphead likes this.