[ Let's Talk ] What makes smartphones so interesting that you're willing to spend so much time...

1. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Jul 29, 2018

theshinybeast , Jul 29, 2018 :
    I do. It's the ingredients that makes the sauce. ;)

toastytoast1234, meatandy and SJBoss like this.
  2. Nikhil.Devaraj.One.Plus
    Cupcake Jul 29, 2018

3. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Jul 29, 2018

Congratulations !! You win the prize for not reading anything in the thread and shamelessly answering.
    Why are you on this forum? That is the point of the thread. Go on, gimme your answer, I'm intrigued.

NeVeR_SeTTLe, SJBoss and meatandy like this.
  4. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Jul 29, 2018

Cheetosdust , Jul 29, 2018 :
    Hello @theshinybeast and thank you for this thread.

There are a few vectors I feel I need to take into consideration to reply to your question, because it’s a great one. I’m going to write what I feel, a psychological dissertation about the digital that will always lose to the organic, at least for a guy like me. Are you ready to read?

I think the Community App is like a boat that catches all fish; so, I also feel that’s the beginning of the new journey to a lot of people on these forums. New users trying desperately to justify the product they bought - I also feel that’s a big slice of the fanboying pie, people just trying to justify the 600€ they spent against the world, against themselves while trying to justify a purchase like a mnemonic.

However, those that stick around will have a click. Maybe a like or a quote. He or she likes me enough to address me. That will make you come back, that will make you quote or like back, engage; make you pause to think about that first fix while you contemplate this: maybe I’m liked here, maybe these people like me enough to read what I wrote and act upon it. These usernames have a heart and I was for a split second there; I was for a slip second like them.

That grows within you and you think: I bought a phone and he or she bought a phone. We connected because he or she underlined what I wrote and you come back and that person comes back. You engage and more engage with you. The justification of your purchase becomes a chat. And that chat dies but you have the bug to coming back and check out other chats that are going strong at any given time.

Your purchase dies down a bit, but by then you made so many connections, you checked and refreshed, looking for those souls behind the usernames. “He liked me? I liked him? I’m here and I hope he or she or they, the first click(s), is/are also here”. Others clicks follow, other souls follow, others quotes and other likes.

People with gray matter connecting, touching and becoming one, but one with pointy edges sticking out. The collective one are these forums and the pointy edges are the characteristics of each personality that want to become part of it.

I will never be like you and you’ll never be like me. That’s where the magic of the regulars happen.

From those who post to those who become part of the forums, eternalized way before they leave - or left - it will always be about the personality, the id descending from the brain to the keyboard. You add something and he adds something and she adds something and these forums live. The haters and the fanboys, those who are another fiber on the cloth, they will always be passengers until they find a backbone or just buy a phone from another brand and lose interest in us, because the "real" interest was just something temporary in a brand that was crap for their needs.

Now, talking about me and me only.

I have several OnePlus products. I don’t think they are the best and I love to be vocal about it, because buying something with your own money is the perfect excuse to the critical, not to be adamant about the whole thing while I try to justify the money I spent.

Passionate about technology, I’m even more passionate about the people who are at least as passionate as me. I never felt these forums as private club, but I always saw them as a filter. Friendships raising and occasional haters passing by - opening the door to my soul and closing the door to my front yard.

Like minded people because of tech will always be a special group. And for me, my heart will always belong to those that start from tech and transpose to the organic, to the “it’s a phone, cool”; to the “it’s silicone and a chip, neat”. I don’t give a fuc% to where I met you, I don’t give a fuc$ to what you use. The phones are tech and tech is just the starting point. I love you and you love me because of the personalities, personalities that can use an iPhone or an Android phone or a OnePlus phone.

I feel we got here because we are outcasts. Because we thought, at some point, we were weird. And you know why?

Because someone that were able to find OnePlus, especially around 2013-14, was searching. Not for the commercial, but for the niche. And if they weren’t searching specifically for that, they were visiting sites or forums so niche they mentioned that company that's now known to the masses.

Now it’s the commercial side and now it’s the glamorous side, but all of you that are here from the start, are the creme de la creme, the enthusiasts that searched and found, probably alone, and that told your friends. I have that exactly same soul as you.

And so, to finally answer your freaking question. The OnePlus smartphones had that “Je ne sais quoi” of exclusivity. At the beginning only the most dedicated and tech savvy minds knew about them when compared to the rest of universe. OnePlus grew, but those pillars, interacting with newcomers, still turn this place into an exclusive club, where only the personalities with a wrinkle or brilliance will come back for more.

As for me, I will never see these forums as the transmutation of the company that’s now commercial, but as the refinement of that exclusive club. Not exclusive because of the invites, but exclusive because the gray members will be temporary, but the members with gray matter will be, one day, week, or month, after they sign in, accepted. And when a new member like that is accepted, it’s not a wave of love, it’s a tsunami of love coming in his or her direction.

Edit: Just to add I don't want this post to be part of the competition. Just some ramblings :)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018

5. ghostofcain
    Marshmallow Jul 29, 2018

ghostofcain , Jul 29, 2018 :
    A thread that makes you think, eh interesting. Several things bring me back ..

A participant who jumps in both feet, obviously without having a clue about what's being discussed, and when challenged just plows on regardless.

An angry young man, railing against the apparent injustices of the world.

Just two of the many folk around here, it's the many and varied characters we meet and the conversations involved can often go a variety of unexpected ways.

Where else can i discuss Monty python with a Dutch man, whilst an American berates me for my choice of snack food and all the while helping a soul from Rwanda escape a bootloop.

This community is very different but not unique, gasp, back in the dim distant past I was a member of mytreo.net which was eerily similar, just with a little less entitlement.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018

6. Vimal rajaji
    Cupcake Jul 29, 2018

Vimal rajaji , Jul 29, 2018 :
    bug solving , regular and quick system updates, camera quality , speed (obviously) , image quality, battery capacity, new gestures , proper service centers availability, security, easy handling way, long term performance and the correct price!!!!

7. Varun Kandepu
    Gingerbread Jul 29, 2018

Varun Kandepu , Jul 29, 2018 :
    yeah I just realized lol. have been really active on the community in general ever since I got this phone. pretty much answering and commenting on anything. I do read everything most of the times, but I get excited sometimes lol

8. NeVeR_SeTTLe
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jul 29, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe , Jul 29, 2018 :
    Admit it you two, you keep coming back to this community because of cupcakes :D

9. ghostofcain
    Marshmallow Jul 29, 2018

ghostofcain , Jul 29, 2018 :
    Well let's just say it helps, but there's a weird mixture of enthusiasts and community app users that just keeps giving.

10. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Jul 29, 2018

Yes.;):rolleyes: Thank you for that answer.

11. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Jul 29, 2018

Delicious with onions.:p

meatandy and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  12. NeVeR_SeTTLe

meatandy and theshinybeast like this.
  13. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Jul 29, 2018

Nice answer. Thanks.;)

14. NeVeR_SeTTLe

NeVeR_SeTTLe , Jul 29, 2018 :
    @theshinybeast I gave you a short version of my answer but now I'm in the mood to give you a long answer :D Please delete my previous post, kind sir :)

Phones have evolved into more than phones. I remember my first phone, it wasn't a Nokia 3310 but a Samsung SGH-A800. A great phone. I had it for 5 years. It performed exceptionally well. It had features like text, call and WAP browser. What more can I want in a phone?
    Turn time forward and smartphones had under went a metamorphosis. We can now do more than text, call and browse. Fingerprint sensor to unlock our phones, pay with our phones, apps that give us continuous availability to our friends and family, waterproof and so much more.
    With many new features added to our smartphones, features that help us in our everyday activities...we take our smartphones everywhere. They are our mini sized computers in our tech savvy world.
    Our world...a world where we control what happens and whom we invite. Remember a company called OnePlus? I bet you do! OnePlus had their invite system when they launched the OnePlus One. The invite system was simple - sign up and we will send you an invite to buy the OnePlus One. The invite system was a good way to get our blood boiling - angry users asking and questioning the invite system but was it that bad?
    There was one positive thing about the invite system - Community. The community was build for us - to talk, share, meet and participate in OnePlus's contests ;) The magical thing about this community are the people. Whether they are cupcakes or Oreos, they are human. Human interaction gets us talking, gossiping and getting to know each other.
    I have been part of this community, which I call family, for several years. It's addictive. Not the contests and not the other joys but the interaction between staff and users. The opinions our people share, their expressions, thoughts, pictures and experiences thrills me. This is the reason why I keep coming.
    Thank you @theshinybeast for this thread!

15. E1529005720879
    Cupcake Jul 30, 2018

16. Ravi2544
    Cupcake Jul 30, 2018

17. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Jul 30, 2018

theshinybeast , Jul 30, 2018 :
    I think you need to start reading the first post in a thread before writing anything.
    I'm so happy for you I could cry. Sadly that has absolutely nothing to do with the content of this thread. Read first please.

18. Ravi2544
    Cupcake Jul 30, 2018

19. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Jul 30, 2018

The first post. This thread has a reason and the reason is not to comment on battery life.

NeVeR_SeTTLe likes this.
  20. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Jul 30, 2018

Congratulations! Is that the reason you joined the forum? Will you be back? Did you read the first post? Bet you didn't.